Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th June 2013, 18:47   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Death of a Legend. Mitsubishi India discontinues Lancer EVO

Really sad to hear this. Though I could never even think of affording this beauty, it was and is a motoring legend. A car based on Mitsubishi's rallly heritage (which is second to none) evoked strong passions for all motorheads. I used to dream of the Evo, ever since I saw Tommi Makkinen rip through the snow fields of Finland in a Ralliart Evo ages ago!

P.S - Subaru Impreza, must feel lonely out there now.
Magnaspectre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 21:36   #17
BHPian

Sad but not surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
To me the worst thing Mitsubishi did was partnering with Hindustan Motors of all the things.
Yes, a chunk of the blame goes to the fact that the old and lazy workforce at HM were allowed to even touch the Three Diamond machines. But MMC itself is to blame. At a time when almost all OEMs worth their salt are putting up aggressive plans for India, what were it's top brass doing? They should have split up with HM AGES ago.

I'm afraid Mits might suffer a global slow and painful death a la Suzuki. With the kind of amazing technology and products that they had, along with a big fan following (yep, includes me), it's like someone's pushing a knife into us, one puny length at a time.

Last edited by Kwanza : 17th June 2013 at 21:37. Reason: The GrammarNazi in me woke up
Kwanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 21:46   #18
BHPian

I'm a little confused. Are they killing off the EVO completely or just stopping sales in India??

If they are killing sales in India I don't think anyone cares. HM was a joke anyway. Their A S S was literally non-existent and even showrooms were rare to come across. They didn't have a clue about the market or pricing.

But if it going out for good its a sad moment for enthusiasts all over. The EVOs were legends in the world of rallying and won many races and many many more hearts. The most affordable and practical 4 door racer.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 08:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
I'm a little confused. Are they killing off the EVO completely or just stopping sales in India??
Only in India. In the US the 2013 Evo X is well alive and kicking.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 10:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Only in India. In the US the 2013 Evo X is well alive and kicking.
Great!! So anyone still wanting the monster could just import.
Old 18th June 2013, 10:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
Don't think anyone's surprised. Very frustrating to see how Mitsubishi's treated some of its products, for instance:

1. Not much marketing support (was there any at all?) for the Evo - killing it before even giving it a fighting chance.

2. Their treatment of the Cedia almost verges on the motor equivalent of child abuse!! Such a good car, excellent suspension to tackle our speed breakers - left in the wild to die an an inglorious death, after being treated to a sub-optimal life!

Mitsubishi in India makes one wonder what their game plan really is - launch good products and then neglect them doesn't quite seem to be cutting it for them thus far. Will someone there please wake up and get serious about India!!

I totally agree! I had called Mitsubhishi (Pune showroom: both of them) to book my Evo about 5 months back. They are not interested AT ALL in even taking a booking! I tried complaining, and the manager suggested why dont I buy an outlander instead . I simply gave up. If this is their service before purchase, what will it lead to after the purchase. And the irony is, I drove to the showroom in my evo6 and no one even understood what it was.

I really really intended to buy an EVO X. I still want one. Its the best car ever. I have prepared for this since so long, and now HM has new plans. I guess I'll just simply save and buy something better. But is there something better than an ExoX. really? A sport car, packaged in a 4 door sedan with down to earth simplicity. Who else gives that?
stuntfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 10:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Great!! So anyone still wanting the monster could just import.
Well its not that easy unfortunately.
Old 18th June 2013, 10:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfreak View Post
Well its not that easy unfortunately.
Whats the complication? I thought cars costing over 40L INR are exempt from homologation.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Whats the complication? I thought cars costing over 40L INR are exempt from homologation.
Purchase cost isnt 40L +. Landed cost is. (According to my info.) Cars with purchase value higher thatn 40L have the no homologation thing. apart from that there are many more issues w.r.t. the way Indian import export works. Don't want to get in all that for no reason.

Let's see. Thanks a lot any ways.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:15   #25
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess I India it was just a technicality. The importers (that is the best way to refer to them) were not really planning on selling any. The EVO though might come in a new form globally - never say never again.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 11:36   #26
BHPian

This is tragic news. The lancer Evo is an amazing car, the monstrous power it derives from its 2L engine and all the rally wins that it took made it one of the cars i looked upto while growing up.

However, while some people suggest that this is only being phased out in India, the original post suggests that it will be phased out globally, if that's the case then this is really sad.
keshavarora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 12:07   #27
BHPian

I can't help but weep manly tears over how a great car met with an untimely end thanks to an idiotic alliance and a negligent attitude to back it up. For me, they screwed up on major fronts with this car.

1. Price: 60L is crazy no matter how you look at it. I would have liked it at around 40L max
2. Why partner up with HM of all people? You should know better when a company struggles to sell its own cars is looking for an alliance...
3. Warranty: You have to, i mean, absolutely have to give warranty for a long tenure since thats how robust I believe the lancer evo x really is! Measly warranty and incapable A.S.S will never do anything other than dent your already weak market image.
4. After one looks at the cedia, its hard to look at other petrol cars because the cedia is so dynamic! It feels at home on all roads and the cabin comfort is something i found good as well. Why do you treat your products like you are doing us a favour by selling them? Learn to respect your products and your consumer as well.
5. I bet that 60L in india can get someone a better car than the evo, better as in a better brand recall and a car which will be good for everyday use(read: 5 series bimmers). The evo is a king when it comes to traction though. You can drive fast anywhere and still know you can absolutely control the beast of a car.

What i actually feel is that they need to re-release this lovely car, price it better and expand their network and conduct campaigns for this car and the cedia. But first, HM needs to be given the boot if you want to grow MMC.
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 12:48   #28
BHPian

Mitsubishi India discontinuing the EVO X is not a big surprise for me, but it they're stopping it internationally, then it's sad. The evo has always had it's place in my sports car dreams. We'll miss it like we miss Ayrton Senna.
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 15:19   #29

Sad to hear this but in a way it is good that they stop selling the Evo's. Saves potential Evo owners(though there are few) the trouble with the A.S.S.
Mitsubishi, partnering HM was the first big mistake and second they are still not heading for a divorce.
Guess Mitsubishi does not like free advice.
Vj13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 15:55   #30
BHPian

Sad to hear the EVO X is gone. But I think, it is better that it is gone than to earn more brickbats to Mitsubishi because of the pricing and dealer attitude. Now the question is, how is Mitsubishi going to support people who did purchase the EVO X in India? Will it still keep a running stock of spare parts and usables for the car or will people have to bleed through their noses because they loved and bought an EVO X?
4nd3r50n is offline   Reply With Quote