Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 23:23   #316
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am still trying to understand what will be City diesel's USP against the Verna CRDi (as it's the segment best seller) if they want to place it at a premium. The 1.5L diesel engine may lose the FE edge if it's used on a bigger / heavier car and when more power / torque is derived out of it.
Now with a Diesel engine under the hood, City can easily beat Verna even with a 50K premium. I do not have much hope for equipment levels, we need to wait and see. Also keep in mind the fact that AS per ACI, the car is marginally bigger and has a much improved interior space.

With the new plant coming - Honda will be all set to return to 4K levels for City when the delivery starts in 2014.

Honda's biggest USP against Hyundai - as a car owner who has both brand cars - is service costs. My 4 year old City is has significantly cheaper service costs than my 2 year old i10. And they are cars from completely different segments.
SkyWalker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 23:33   #317
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 28
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If the feature list is going to be similar to Jazz, it would NOT be anything like Verna's equipment levels I believe. Then they want to charge a premium for City over Verna? Bad move I guess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Sounds like what the ASM conveyed to me as well. Features aside, the new City should be gunning for the Verna as it's direct and fiercest competitor in terms of sales. With the i-DTEC in tow, and the legendary Honda reliability and badge, it will be interesting to compare the sales figures of both cars in 6 months' time after the 2014 City's launch, specially the diesel : petrol ratio.
Let me rephrase what I wrote. The feature list would be almost at-par with the Verna (may be a few missing here & there). We can all be rest assured that Hyundai will definitely up the ante and might add more features to the Verna (in addition to attractive discounts) once the 2014 City is launched, as even they would know that the City is the only car that could give the Verna any real fight in terms of the numbers/month.

Also, the new City will be in all probability an extended version of the 2014 Jazz (just the way the Vento is of the Polo). This would also help them in pricing both the City & the Jazz (when launched) attractively as it will save them costs due to part sharing. That's why they are launching the City first instead of the Jazz so that the public accepts it as a proper sedan and not a hatch with a boot.
ankan_g is offline  
Old 7th November 2013, 23:58   #318
A.R
BHPian
 
A.R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 150
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Not to forget, Honda has another issue at hand - their atrocious maintenance charges. I know some in my workplace who crib about their cost of repairs. Replacements are another ordeal.

And reliability is not something related to 'H' and "T' only anymore. Hyundai cars and their cost of running have also gone up considerably in the past.

On the other hand. Hyundai has cashed in worldwide and they do think they're better than the Japs and even the Germans in some cases. On a lighter note, talk to the sales folks and have some laugh.

But, the difference between the 'H' brands isn't much for a commoner today. Many have moved on while Honda was thinking in their board rooms.

So whether its German, Jap or something else, if its not VFM, sales aren't gonna get hotter.
A.R is offline  
Old 8th November 2013, 03:41   #319
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 525
Thanked: 191 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Not to forget, Honda has another issue at hand - their atrocious maintenance charges. I know some in my workplace who crib about their cost of repairs. Replacements are another ordeal.

And reliability is not something related to 'H' and "T' only anymore. Hyundai cars and their cost of running have also gone up considerably in the past.

On the other hand. Hyundai has cashed in worldwide and they do think they're better than the Japs and even the Germans in some cases. On a lighter note, talk to the sales folks and have some laugh.

But, the difference between the 'H' brands isn't much for a commoner today. Many have moved on while Honda was thinking in their board rooms.

So whether its German, Jap or something else, if its not VFM, sales aren't gonna get hotter.
Iam not sure this is true. I have a 2007 model city zx, which has run about 90,000km and Ive had no complaints whatsoever with the maintenance or reliability of the car. The only thing that has gone wrong in these years is the combination switch broke, which was replaced by the dealer in 20 mins at a cost of approx1200. Maintenance charges - essentially the regular service costs about 3000, which is similar to my Santro. Ofcourse, like every dealer, they try to sell you stuff like interior cleaning, engine cleaning and what not...as long as you avoid those, you are fine.

Back to topic, i am eagerly waiting for the new city and hope Honda fix the ground clearance issue that plagues all their cars.....
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 07:44   #320
BHPian
 
trtraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore \ Singara Chennai
Posts: 217
Thanked: 103 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I look at the City-Verna fight in this way. If you analyze the last 5-6 months of Monthly sales analysis (of Team Bhp). On an average Verna sales were ~4000 per month. City during the same period was ~2000 cars. Now look at the Petrol-Diesel split of the Verna. Petrols account for only ~30 % of the monthly sales. Which means ~1200 cars a month.

So just considering petrol, the City was comfortably out selling the Verna --. It should still sell enough to make them the segment leader again.
Nice comparison, Of course with the poor high speed handling of verna (which is not taken care yet) City Diesel can out perform well if priced well

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

But, still, going by history, Honda won't match the features of a Hyundai at a similar price range.
, it can be priced at 50K or so higher than the Verna.

I agree your point partially on this. Is it not that Honda's new strategy is to price aggressively as like the Amaze vs Dzire?

OT : I am on the queue for City launch and delivery now booked one yesterday
trtraj is offline  
Old 8th November 2013, 08:49   #321
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 844
Thanked: 587 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
OT : I am on the queue for City launch and delivery now booked one yesterday
Good to see people are so confident of Honda brand. By the way a small doubt, your signature reads "Waiting for EcoSport TDCi" does that mean you cancelled the EcoSport booking and switched to Honda City?
MaxTorque is offline  
Old 8th November 2013, 09:29   #322
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indore
Posts: 422
Thanked: 550 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Not to forget, Honda has another issue at hand - their atrocious maintenance charges. I know some in my workplace who crib about their cost of repairs. Replacements are another ordeal.
I shifted from Hyundai Verna to Honda City. I found that the costs of maintaining my Honda City are far lower than Hyundai Verna. Also the service experience at Honda service centres is superb compared to what was offered to me at Hyundai.

Even our distinguished BHPian @sgiitk sir has repeatedly stated in various posts that costs of maintaining his Civic AT are way lesser than those of his Santro AT.
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 09:44   #323
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 37
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post

I shifted from Hyundai Verna to Honda City. I found that the costs of maintaining my Honda City are far lower than Hyundai Verna. Also the service experience at Honda service centres is superb compared to what was offered to me at Hyundai.

Even our distinguished BHPian @sgiitk sir has repeatedly stated in various posts that costs of maintaining his Civic AT are way lesser than those of his Santro AT.
That's actually right. I have a 2008 City ZX. Flawless ownership experience. Service is a breeze, all through with Sundaram Honda in Chennai. The most expensive item on my service bill is the Synthetic oil. Have replaced the brake pads and spark plugs so far @ 59k kms.

Last edited by balajiisworking : 8th November 2013 at 10:06.
balajiisworking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 10:11   #324
BHPian
 
trtraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore \ Singara Chennai
Posts: 217
Thanked: 103 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Good to see people are so confident of Honda brand. By the way a small doubt, your signature reads "Waiting for EcoSport TDCi" does that mean you cancelled the EcoSport booking and switched to Honda City?

You are right, Now am waiting for the one which can be delivered first, Been with car for almost seven years after i sold my Figo now i feel a pinch on without a car and now desperate to get one but good one. Beyond doubt Ecosport is brilliantly made and priced i hope the same with City Diesel too, Though we have a Xylo at home. I am intended to get a car as soon as possible.

Eventually it is "waiting for Ecosport / City D"
trtraj is offline  
Old 8th November 2013, 10:13   #325
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Honda's biggest USP against Hyundai - as a car owner who has both brand cars - is service costs. My 4 year old City is has significantly cheaper service costs than my 2 year old i10. And they are cars from completely different segments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Iam not sure this is true. I have a 2007 model city zx, which has run about 90,000km and Ive had no complaints whatsoever with the maintenance or reliability of the car. The only thing that has gone wrong in these years is the combination switch broke, which was replaced by the dealer in 20 mins at a cost of approx1200. Maintenance charges - essentially the regular service costs about 3000, which is similar to my Santro. Ofcourse, like every dealer, they try to sell you stuff like interior cleaning, engine cleaning and what not...as long as you avoid those, you are fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajiisworking View Post
That's actually right. I have a 2008 City ZX. Flawless ownership experience. Service is a breeze, all through with Sundaram Honda in Chennai. The most expensive item on my service bill is the Synthetic oil. Have refined the brake pads and spark plugs so far @ 59k kms.
Perhaps you folks have done a more thorough analysis but there is one point we are overlooking here - The City's service interval is 5k, while for Hyundai its 10k. So while the per service cost for a Santro or i10 maybe higher, it doesn't go for service as often.

The fact that they are from different segments and so costs shouldn't be at par for the small Hyundais is a valid one. I also agree that the experience at Honda dealerships is better.

Last edited by StarScream : 8th November 2013 at 10:16.
StarScream is offline  
Old 8th November 2013, 10:34   #326
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 37
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Perhaps you folks have done a more thorough analysis but there is one point we are overlooking here - The City's service interval is 5k, while for Hyundai its 10k. So while the per service cost for a Santro or i10 maybe higher, it doesn't go for service as often.

The fact that they are from different segments and so costs shouldn't be at par for the small Hyundais is a valid one. I also agree that the experience at Honda dealerships is better.
You are right. But since my biggest item is the synthetic oil (which is anyway replaced once every 10k kms, or every other service) the bills for the in-between services are actually much lower, in the 1 to 2 k range. Net off of the services is still within range of a Hyundai car thats a segment or two lower.

We do have a Santro in the family (albeit not mine), which has been costing almost the same as the City, thats not saying much. Hyundai dealers tend to push add on items like injector cleaning as early as 10k kms claiming that its Manufacturer recommended, which almost never happens at Honda, barring some stuff like underbody coating or polishing, which are cosmetic. I guess am dangerously off topic here...discussing service cost on a 2014 Honda City thread.
balajiisworking is offline  
Old 8th November 2013, 14:11   #327
BHPian
 
coolmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 395
Thanked: 121 Times
Smile re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Super stuff, just bring it on! Give the City a little better suspension, increase equipment levels and you have a killer already. Engine options aside, Honda should grab this opportunity and just steam ahead.

And for the record, even if the City shares the same front design from the new Jazz, the better! Certainly not the Crider or the Concept C pictures which we have been seeing for a while. The Fit design feels the right way to take this legend forward in its new generation.

All in good time!
coolmel is offline  
Old 8th November 2013, 15:51   #328
BHPian
 
EasyR1der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Honda's biggest USP against Hyundai - as a car owner who has both brand cars - is service costs. My 4 year old City is has significantly cheaper service costs than my 2 year old i10. And they are cars from completely different segments.
I would 2nd that as a owner of both the brands the servicing of i10 is expensive than the city. This alone is a big USP for new city
EasyR1der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 16:10   #329
BHPian
 
jack7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: Once
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Can't wait . How much longer will it take to even get a spy shot. Doesn't these comes months before the launch.

I'm surprised that we haven't had one spy shot of the vehicle doing a test drive on our roads? How did they managed to do that and avoid even a signal snapshot?
jack7 is offline  
Old 8th November 2013, 17:43   #330
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 377
Thanked: 84 Times
Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Well it's just my personal opinion which may be wrong but I don't think there is much of craze / charm left with diesel sedan in this particular segment, if we take metros in particular. Except those having intercity daily runs are not thinking for diesel if they have to chose from this segment.
I am myself a honda fan and owns a city, so no offenses.
Honda has lost the opportunity it seems. Too much delay in launching the right product. Only hope in sales is because of the brand value attached to Honda.
See vento was never and will never be any competition to Honda city (petrol or diesel variant to variant), it will only be verna but again as I said the volume targeted will probably never be achieved.
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics & Report: 2014 Honda City unveiled in India parrys The Indian Car Scene 366 17th December 2013 00:02
Honda to reveal the facelifted 2014 Civic Si in November 2013 sarathlal The International Automotive Scene 1 7th November 2013 08:19
Honda CBR500R - First Pics Leaked. EDIT - Six New Models Confirmed for 2013. Scorcher Superbikes & Imports 49 11th March 2013 00:52
10 World's Fastest Cars--polled in November 2006 and due this november VJ_MAVRICK The International Automotive Scene 0 27th August 2007 11:47
Confirmed : Skoda's New A5 launch in this November ST7677 The Indian Car Scene 78 25th November 2005 16:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks