Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th November 2013, 18:19   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
I would 2nd that as a owner of both the brands the servicing of i10 is expensive than the city. This alone is a big USP for new city
Is regular service cost difference really that big a deal? Lets say Annual bill for City service (with synth oil) is around 6k and for Verna around 8k. Is the extra 2k really that big a deal to hail it as a USP?

I dont think regular service is an issue with any of these cars be it Honda or Hyundai or Maruti or a VW. They are all in a quite narrow range and not really a burden. I am talking only regular service.

What about replacement parts e.g. after accident? The most common are bumpers, rear view mirrors, headlights/taillamps assemblies, glass (windshield) etc. Why is that not a criteria (as accidents are so common and likely in India)? What is the respective cost of these parts for verna, city, vento, fiesta & sx4 ?

If I remember correctly one of Autocar/Overdrive had done a bill of materials (for replacement items) for these C segmnt sedans and City was amongst the costliest. Linea was the cheapest if I remember correctly (or was it SX4?)
Old 8th November 2013, 18:34   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If I remember correctly one of Autocar/Overdrive had done a bill of materials (for replacement items) for these C segmnt sedans and City was amongst the costliest. Linea was the cheapest if I remember correctly (or was it SX4?)
It was Autocar's annual cost survey (maintenance and parts), a few issues back. The City was the costliest among its peers.

Apart from Suzuki, expensive maintenance seems to be a Jap thing. The Corolla and the Fortuner were the costliest in their respective segments.
Old 8th November 2013, 18:39   #333
BHPian

The i10 service cost should be a concern, it's more expensive than an Innova or Fortuner to maintain, according to an owner. This when the running is low on the i10, talking about service not fuel bills, that is one for another thread.

Honda owners are always happy with the car, performance and service, all new cars, regardless of brand ,cost a bomb in accident repairs. I am sure the new City will not have it wipers turned on automatically when it hits a pot hole, if you think it is not a USP, you shouldn't be getting a car. Honda shut lines and overall quality is still one up on Hyundai and yes snob value is still very much Honda turf.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 18:55   #334
BHPian

Post re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
It was Autocar's annual cost survey (maintenance and parts), a few issues back. The City was the costliest among its peers.

Apart from Suzuki, expensive maintenance seems to be a Jap thing. The Corolla and the Fortuner were the costliest in their respective segments.
One glaring omission or should I say limitation of that survey was part longevity. Usually Toyota parts replacement interval is the longest. Let us say that replacement cost of clutch of an M&M product is half that of Innova but replacement interval of Innova's clutch is say more than double that of say XUV500. Which one you will prefer? Any day I'll prefer longer life parts over cheaper parts which fail after a short time.
Old 8th November 2013, 19:04   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
One glaring omission or should I say limitation of that survey was part longevity. Usually Toyota parts replacement interval is the longest. Let us say that replacement cost of clutch of an M&M product is half that of Innova but replacement interval of Innova's clutch is say more than double that of say XUV500. Which one you will prefer? Any day I'll prefer longer life parts over cheaper parts which fail after a short time.
Theres hardly any scientific data on the longevity thing really. Its all hearsay mostly. How do you say Innova's clutch lasts twice that of XUV? Anybody done that study independently and published it ? And longevity is important for some but not for all. Average car ownership has fallen to around three years nowdays. How much should it be a factor really?

What I am more interested in is common accident (small accident where we might not claim insurance) parts like taillaps or rear view mirror etc. Its quite likely to lose one of the rear view mirrors in city traffic (or in parking). Now compare cost of replacement of that. That is straight-forward.

Last edited by joslicx : 8th November 2013 at 19:05.
Old 8th November 2013, 19:12   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack7 View Post
Can't wait . How much longer will it take to even get a spy shot. Doesn't these comes months before the launch.

I'm surprised that we haven't had one spy shot of the vehicle doing a test drive on our roads? How did they managed to do that and avoid even a signal snapshot?
I think they test their news cars in Japan extensively now a days. That's exactly what happened with Amaze too, from what recollect.
Old 8th November 2013, 19:25   #337
BHPian

Smile re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Super stuff, just bring it on! Give the City a little better suspension, increase equipment levels and you have a killer already. Engine options aside, Honda should grab this opportunity and just steam ahead.

And for the record, even if the City shares the same front design from the new Jazz, the better! Certainly not the Crider or the Concept C pictures which we have been seeing for a while. The Fit design feels the right way to take this legend forward in its new generation.

All in good time!

I think the newer versions of the City (I purchased one this Nov!) are much better in terms of suspension. As far as equipment levels are concerned, I somehow feel Hyundai cars are an overload! I mean, how much do you really use? I almost crashed the i20 I was test driving since I was just watching the rear camera and forgot to brake!

I think Honda should just go ahead and do what they are best at - make good, sturdy cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If the feature list is going to be similar to Jazz, it would NOT be anything like Verna's equipment levels I believe. Then they want to charge a premium for City over Verna? Bad move I guess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Of course they will get good numbers based on the Honda badge and especially the Diesel engine. But Honda here has a wonderful opportunity to knock the socks of the competition and also even bring in Duster and Ecosport buyers if its really feature laden.

Hyundai is surely going to counter the new City with a slew of new features and if the new City is found wanting, Honda would lose the plot and some new City buyers would find themselves without a few features within the year .

C'mon Honda, for the love of Honda, Bring it all on...
Again on features, not really sure how much more Honda would add. I am hoping that Honda definitely won't compromise on quality stuff just for the heck of adding features/ gizmos. And introducing quality stuff in the car means a substantial price hike - which may be counter intuitive
ag408 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 19:42   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think they test their news cars in Japan extensively now a days. That's exactly what happened with Amaze too, from what recollect.
There is a possibility of testing in India post launch on 25th November. We must remember that we only know the launch date and not the delivery start date.

If they were to start delivery end of Feb'14 then Honda will have good 2 months of Dec'13 and Jan'14 to test the car before starting production.
Old 8th November 2013, 19:46   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
There is a possibility of testing in India post launch on 25th November. We must remember that we only know the launch date and not the delivery start date.

If they were to start delivery end of Feb'14 then Honda will have good 2 months of Dec'13 and Jan'14 to test the car before starting production.
Sorry, but wouldn't that be too late? In case there is a defect, what are they going to do? I don't think Honda will take that kind of a risk?

Also though they have 2 months for deliveries, I think pilot production would have commenced by now which means they would hardly have any time for a resolution in case of any major defects. I would NOT think Honda will do such a blunder.
Old 8th November 2013, 20:01   #340

Passing by the Whitefield Honda showroom earlier today I noticed the FE of 25.8 kmpl (ARAI Certified, I am assuming) written in bold on the TD Amaze parked outside the dealership.
The first thought I had was if the same 1.5 lt engine in a higher state of tune was to be used in the 2014 City, could the FE Figures be around 20-21 kmpl? If yes, then this is going to be significantly higher than that of the Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDI.
Old 8th November 2013, 20:02   #341
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, What's the value of ground clearance in this new City? Has this perinial issue with the City been addressed in this model? The present City has been worked upon for it i think. Secondly, looking at the pic I dont like the radiator grill but rest is ok and it look very ugly even in comparison to the present chrome finished grill of the City.

Thanks

AD
Old 8th November 2013, 21:45   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hi all, What's the value of ground clearance in this new City? Has this perinial issue with the City been addressed in this model? The present City has been worked upon for it i think. Secondly, looking at the pic I dont like the radiator grill but rest is ok and it look very ugly even in comparison to the present chrome finished grill of the City.

Thanks

AD
Which picture are you referring to here?
Old 8th November 2013, 23:45   #343
BHPian

This is what Honda Civic Coupe 2014 looks like. The front styling is same as Jazz which gives us every reason to believe that this is what the front of Honda City 2014 will look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013-052014hondaciviccoupesema1.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 01:13   #344
BHPian

I didnt link the new 2014 City. Some weird design language, which is at the minimum a mix of current ANHC and Verna (rear quarter glass-like section near C pillar). The wheel arches reminded of ANHC. The shoulder line on the side profile, is a tad too wide. Of course from the front and front 3 quarters, it looks like the new Camry and from the rear 3 quarters, it has something in common with Elantra.

Overall, not as clean a design as ANHC.
Attached Images

BurningHeart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 01:20   #345
BHPian

A page on facebook Indian car enthusiasts revealed that the new city is launching on 2nd of January. They got this news from Honda only!
Attached Images

YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread