Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2013, 10:33   #451
BHPian

Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Ex-Showroom price of Amaze Diesel base version (E-MT) is 6.17 lacs.
Mobilio being based on Brio/technically being similar to Amaze can be expected to start around 6.5 lacs?
Jazz being given a more premium feel/treatment, can be expected to start around 6.75? (Since Jazz is somewhat a segment above the Swift, so this pricing seems realistic, considering swift ldi is 5.6 lacs).
As is the market trend, same car with a boot is approx 1-1.5 lac costlier, we can expect City to start at 8.5 lacs?

So, in this way City will be 2.5 lac costlier than amaze, which justifies it, as city is a more premium/super-4metre sedan.

PS: All the above prices are being considered for the Diesel base variant of resp car.
Old 21st November 2013, 11:47   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Some tidbit info:-

1) For the November 25th unveiling of the new 2014 City, in addition to the press, the owners of all Honda dealerships in India have been invited. No other staff of the Honda dealerships will be in attendance.

2) The 2014 City is then expected to be in showroom display in various Honda dealerships across the country. (Shubh Honda is expecting it in mid/late December) It will give prospective customers a chance to check out the new City in the flesh.

3) A media drive will be organised in mid-December for the press to check out the 2014 City inside out. (Brio = Visakhapatnam, Amaze = Goa, City = ?)

4) Prices and variants will be announced in the first week of January, 2014. The showroom display tour will continue on. Deliveries will start from mid/late January, or in extreme production constraint cases, February 2014 onwards.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st November 2013 at 11:48.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 11:59   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
The latest tweet from Hormazd sheds some light on the refinement issue.
Honda engineers say new City diesel more refined than Amaze diesel. Better NVH needed to be competitive
NVH is a teething trouble with almost all the Earth Dream diesel mills at the moment, whether in India or abroad.

However, I do not think this can be a deal breaker, considering the fact that all diesel mills except the Fiat MJD sound unrefined & harsh, but in fact last longer than the owner (D4Ds, dCis, etc).

Moreover, Indians are used to harsher diesel mills , so those from Honda should not be offending to the target market.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 13:02   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
...3) A media drive will be organised in mid-December for the press to check out the 2014 City inside out. (Brio = Visakhapatnam, Amaze = Goa, City = ?)..
Rajasthan? Considered to be a lucky charm by many manufacturers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
NVH is a teething trouble with almost all the Earth Dream diesel mills at the moment, whether in India or abroad.

Moreover, Indians are used to harsher diesel mills , so those from Honda should not be offending to the target market.
I think Honda did the right thing. They brought the crude stuff in the entry level sedan where it didn't matter much; the super FE was good enough for luring the buyers of the segment.

Now this also has given them enough real life testing of the engine, and also more time to refine the engine. It's required (for City) since they are going to compete with the Verna which has a stunning engine. I really hope they try and match the power output also (at least 115 bhp) and a 24 kmpl still would give them enough reasons, as long as the engine is refined; at least on the inside.

I was flabbergasted when I saw zero deadening under the bonnet of Amaze diesel, am sure that would have helped control the noise levels a bit

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st November 2013 at 13:04.
Old 21st November 2013, 13:31   #455
BHPian

The real deal on the next generation City is,' If it ain't broke, why fix it?' A potent diesel mill, little better drive quality and little extra goodies like auto air con etc and you have a winner already. Oh and I forgot the new direct injection i-vtec motor as well!
Old 21st November 2013, 13:47   #456
BHPian

now even the great autocar is claiming price closer to the civic with reason being " with amaze's price only option is to go north"

Well if that is case the I will be really happy to cancel my booking and go to the nearest Volkswagen showroom (just 1 min drive ) for Vento TSI.

It seems all too familiar a story. First make the automotive journalists Artificially speculate a higher price then once the product is launched make them justify the higher price with some of the lamest excuses in the world.
example :- " Vento has the better ride quality , better handling , better performance , better build quality and more value for money but...
Its the city that we would pick as the winner , though it is quite a bit expensive and despite its shortfalls its a latest product and then there Legendary honda reliability"
And then our bloods will start boiling and I can anticipate more post in Indian TV car shows thread.

I fail to understand why should the they price the city close to the civic ?
If they want to price the city in civic's shoes then will they launch civic at A4's price with the reason being " as CR-V has a starting price of 21-22L thus only option is to go north!" and if they wanted to launch a product in a price range say vis-a-vis the Altis then why not bring the Civic instead?

It will be suicidal if the price it so high as people with lower budget will look towards verna/vento and those with similar/slightly higher budgets will start considering bigger and better cars say cruze/altis/jetta/elantra etc.

Haven't they learnt from the spectacular failure of jazz?
fuelinmyveins is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 15:10   #457

@ fuelinmyveins. I completely agree with you. Reviewers say everything that is good about other cars and finally pick City as their choice.
Regarding the pricing of the new City, I believe Honda wont price it close to Civic. They have burnt their fingers in Jazz by pricing it high and have seen success with Amaze. With the demand that the City has, I think they would price is appropriately and depend on the more sales to counter whatever less profit they might make. They need to be competitive in that segment now.
Old 21st November 2013, 15:47   #458
BHPian

I think it is too early to speculate on the pricing. Everyone seems to be going on a wild goose chase. A City is a City and my gut feeling predicts that Honda would sell the new model only at a marginal premium over the outgoing model which could translate to a figure between Rs.50,000/- to Rs.1,00,000/- model to model. Honda definitely would not like to rocks it's bread and butter model and give a leeway to any of it's rivals.

Cheers
thesilentone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 16:05   #459
BHPian

Smile

Heard the following information from the local Honda showroom regarding the standard add on features of the new City across all segments :

Bluetooth
Push Button start
Reverse Camera
More AC vents in the rear

Sadly no ACC yet.

Let us wait for the outcome - another 96 hours to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand89 View Post
@ fuelinmyveins. I completely agree with you. Reviewers say everything that is good about other cars and finally pick City as their choice.
Regarding the pricing of the new City, I believe Honda wont price it close to Civic. They have burnt their fingers in Jazz by pricing it high and have seen success with Amaze. With the demand that the City has, I think they would price is appropriately and depend on the more sales to counter whatever less profit they might make. They need to be competitive in that segment now.
Absolutely right. Honda is pricing the new Honda City at a premium of Rs. 40000/- over existing models. This will definitely lead to a stampede in the showrooms. Hope the service centres are augmented significantly considering the increase in the Honda cars on the road after the runaway success of Amaze.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd November 2013 at 00:35. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
spinks_69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 16:29   #460
BHPian

With Govt. announcing the plan to deregulate diesel price in the next 6 months, will it make sense to go for the Diesel City or the "fun-to-drive" petrol engine?
Old 21st November 2013, 16:49   #461
BHPian

I have been to Pride Honda yet again today (this has become a weekly routine now ) and this time they managed to give me an estimated price of the mid variant diesel to be around 11L. Lets see if it matches the actual's after the launch.
Old 21st November 2013, 16:54   #462
BHPian

petrol for me please
would rather have petrol fuel in my veins than diesel

anyway the golden rule is
If the usage is less than 50 kms a day then diesel just does not make sense.
But if the diesel engine gives better performance than petrol as in the case of hyundai verna then its a different story.
Old 21st November 2013, 17:00   #463
BHPian

Smile re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
With Govt. announcing the plan to deregulate diesel price in the next 6 months, will it make sense to go for the Diesel City or the "fun-to-drive" petrol engine?
Definitely petrol if your travel is less than 1000 km per month. Considering the price of a diesel engine is nearly Rs 1 lakh more than petrol it makes economic sense to go for petrol driven vehicles.
Old 21st November 2013, 21:49   #464
BHPian

The Nov 25 date is just 3 days away. Let me be Oracle and say that the difference between Jazz and City will be like the difference between Brio and Amaze. No major front changes (other than a chrome wing and front bumpers, maybe blackened headlamps) and a boot at the rear. Interiors will be carried over completely. Also, they will just showcase the car and then start the testing, similar to what Ford and Datsun did. That's why you see no test mules now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
It may be noted that driving more then 80-100 kmph is illegal in almost all cities / states in India and Indian highway's are not designed for such high speeds. Please do not travel in your car at such high speeds because it not only dangers your life but also dangers life of other road users. Edit: btw, its also illegal to drive more than 100-120kmph on highways in united states (65-75 mph) where roads are 100 times more developed then India.
OT: Reminds me of the Autobahn where I could zoom at 160+ at stretches where there's no speed limit. The only better A highways were in Netherlands (much straighter with night lighting all throughout the country and had wind blockers - not sure what's the technical term), but always found speed limits there.
IndiFuture is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 22:52   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinks_69 View Post

Definitely petrol if your travel is less than 1000 km per month. Considering the price of a diesel engine is nearly Rs 1 lakh more than petrol it makes economic sense to go for petrol driven vehicles.
my usage I roughly 70 kms a day, so I have my answer. coming to the pricing, if it is priced in the civic range, I might go for the duster (whichever variant at the same price) as it's also a 5 seater, has good ride and handling, great ground clearance, SUV feel, and a good diesel engine although it might not feel as premium as the city.
Closed Thread