The fourth generation Honda City will also be sold in Japan -

http://paultan.org/2013/11/21/city-hybrid/
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:04   #467
BHPian

Default re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinks_69 View Post
Definitely petrol if your travel is less than 1000 km per month. Considering the price of a diesel engine is nearly Rs 1 lakh more than petrol it makes economic sense to go for petrol driven vehicles.
Now the choice between petrol and diesel is becoming more tougher. Oil Marketing Companies are revising the prices bi-weekly. Petrol prices are stagnant while diesel prices are inching upwards. We need to wait and see, what is going to happen in next six months.
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:19   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

The absolute lack of spotting of any test mules can mean only one thing - Honda is definitely using some styling bits of it's existing City/Jazz and combining it with the new 2013 Fit's platform.

We just might get to see a resemblance or a similarity to the rendering picture doing the rounds for many months now - the new Fit/Vezel front, existing City's side profile, and either the C-Rider's rear for the tail-lamps or an all-new rear. The retaining of the existing 1.5L i-VTEC petrol engine at least suggests in that direction.

Either way, as the date draws near, my excitement keeps growing. The unveiling of the Vezel has only heightened my excitement, since it follows the H-design concept of the 2013 Fit. If the 2014 City has borrowed the Vezel's front, yummy!

As regards pricing, I have been doing some research. It's interesting to see how Honda has priced the Amaze variants, and it's a given that it will follow the same pattern for pricing of the 2014 City variants as well. Considering the fact that the City is a more premium offering, the difference between variants is likely to be slightly bigger, yet in line with the closest competition's pricing. In this case, I have compared it with the Hyundai Verna.

Here's a comparative table, and my prediction for the pricing of the 2014 City's diesel variants.
All prices are ex-showroom, Bilaspur.
Present prices of the Amaze, Verna & City's petrol variants have been taken for references.
Assuming we might have a new VX variant for the City as well (with ACC, projectors, sunroof, AVN, Leather seats, etc.)

Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013-untitled.gif

Seems like the info I got from the ASM regarding a 12.49L OTR price for the top diesel variant seems most likely, although I wouldn't discount a 7.49L starting price for the petrol variant and a 8.59L starting price for the diesel variant. If it's any lesser than the above, delightful!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd November 2013 at 09:33.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:43   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Seems like the info I got from the ASM regarding a 12.49L OTR price for the top diesel variant seems most likely, although I wouldn't discount a 7.49L starting price for the petrol variant and a 8.59L starting price for the diesel variant. If it's any lesser than the above, delightful!
Seems like a nice & logical estimate. This is the similar figure I was estimating in this post (Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013).

But I think that initially Honda is not going to launch the Corporate edition. We should expect the Corporate edition only when the initial euphoria subsides.
ank.nsit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:07   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Nice work. With these estimates,the Bangalore On Road price of the top end diesel city will nudge 14 Lakhs and the Petrol City ~12.7 Lakhs. As per a Hyundai showroom website, the top end Verna Diesel costs 13.7 Lakhs on road in Bangalore. I assume there will be some discounts to this and obviously there will be no discounts on the City. With these numbers the Petrol AT top end will also be flirting with the 14 Lakh number.
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:18   #471
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
I fail to understand why should the they price the city close to the civic ?
If they want to price the city in civic's shoes then will they launch civic at A4's price with the reason being " as CR-V has a starting price of 21-22L thus only option is to go north!" and if they wanted to launch a product in a price range say vis-a-vis the Altis then why not bring the Civic instead?

It will be suicidal if the price it so high as people with lower budget will look towards verna/vento and those with similar/slightly higher budgets will start considering bigger and better cars say cruze/altis/jetta/elantra etc.

Haven't they learnt from the spectacular failure of jazz?
There was a popular saying in the computer industry that the greatest rival to Microsoft in the PC space was NOT Apple or Linux or anything else, but Microsoft itself! Of course, this was because of the company's near monopolistic hold on the personal computer segments, and the greatest challenge Microsoft faced was not from competitors, but to get its own customers to upgrade from older versions of Windows, Office etc.

If one company comes close to this in the Indian automotive scene, it has to be Honda (and not Maruti Suzuki, as one may assume). The greatest challenges to Honda Cars India Ltd. come from Honda itself, be it their reluctance/inability to brings in diesels (earlier), capacity constraints, tendency to overprice etc. Even in the two wheeler space, the greatest challenges Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India face are from Honda itself, be it their former JV products from the erstwhile Hero Honda, capacity constraints, waiting periods, arrogant dealerships etc.

Were it not for these self-inflicted limitations, Honda would be the undisputed No. 1 in the bike scenario and at least the No. 3 in the car scenario. Such is the trust Indians have in Honda products, their engines and bullet-proof reliability, a trust that Honda thoroughly deserves. Even in the genset space, Honda has a reputation that competitors can only dream of achieving.

Even with all this, Honda are by no means invincible. The competition is much tougher now, and competing products are equally good. There was a time in India when Hondas led every segment of the market the company was present in (City ZX, Civic, Accord & CRV). That is a long forgotten dream now. Today Honda does not lead any segment it competes in. Even the highly successful Amaze trails the Dzire, for whatever reason. And an overpriced Honda finds it very difficult to bring in customers, however good it is (Jazz before the price cut).

I think Honda have learnt their pricing lessons, and won't repeat the Jazz fiasco. But they would still be tempted to price the new City higher than the competition. By how much remains to be seen, and this quantum would also determine the success of the car. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the lower variants of the new City (petrol) will be within my budget, but I think they may just be out of reach.

One thing Honda can and must do, to justify a premium over its competitors and a higher starting price, is to offer ABS and 2 airbags as standard across the range, even on the base variant, just like on the discontinued City. I hope they don't follow the Brio and Amaze way of offering 2 airbags only on the top variant. I hope they do follow the Brio and Amaze way of not scraping on speed breakers due to the increased GC, though.

Last edited by RSR : 22nd November 2013 at 12:27.
RSR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:58   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
One thing Honda can and must do, to justify a premium over its competitors and a higher starting price, is to offer ABS and 2 airbags as standard across the range, even on the base variant, just like on the discontinued City. I hope they don't follow the Brio and Amaze way of offering 2 airbags only on the top variant. I hope they do follow the Brio and Amaze way of not scraping on speed breakers due to the increased GC, though.
Rightly said.
Following are the issues of current gen city that I would definitely like it to be resolved in new City.

1. Low GC. (It has always been a HUGE problem in City & Civic).
2. Not so great handling/soft suspension.
3. Not so good quality of central ICE console in dashboard.
4. Thin tyres.
5. Basic ICE. (Either provide a DVD player with Bluetooth in all the models, or don't provide the ICE at all, so that the after market fitment of ICE does not pinch to the owners.)
ank.nsit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:31   #473
BHPian

Just spoke with Dakshin Honda officials and they very confidently said that the new Honda city will be resembling the pictures that are circulating the Internet. The one with the blue Honda car having a couple in it. They also said that the front grill will be a modified/enhanced version of the current city. Not sure how much to believe in that as the picture is circulating for a very long time.
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:47   #474
BHPian

Smile re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Just spoke with Dakshin Honda officials and they very confidently said that the new Honda city will be resembling the pictures that are circulating the Internet. The one with the blue Honda car having a couple in it. They also said that the front grill will be a modified/enhanced version of the current city. Not sure how much to believe in that as the picture is circulating for a very long time.
Surprisingly the same thing has been communicated by Highway Honda officials also. It will be quite surprising if the blue Honda Car represents the final one post 25th November considering that it was right under our observation for the past six months or even more
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:24   #475
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Avi,

This surely matches with the 11L OTR (Diesel) for the medium variant an approximate quote received from Pride Honda a few days back.Hope this anticipation turns out to be true and I will be one of the happiest among many.

Also a point to note your estimates on the petrol variants match with a news report released a few hours back captured below, which mentioned that the petrol variants are expected to be in the range of 7L-10L.

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/52...ce-booking.htm

Last edited by pdma : 22nd November 2013 at 17:41. Reason: Adding information on Petrol Variant
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:23   #476
Senior - BHPian

From the Honda Car India's official FB page

Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013-1474373_663574413664568_764992173_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:27   #477
BHPian

Where is our scoopmaster Sidindica ?? Have not seen him active on Team BHP for over 2 years now. He used to be brilliant with his scoops.
nik_kapur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:09   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
But I think that initially Honda is not going to launch the Corporate edition. We should expect the Corporate edition only when the initial euphoria subsides.
I would have to reluctantly agree as well. Honda might look to introduce a Corporate Edition petrol at least, to peg/advertise the initial starting price at 7.49L ex-showroom, Delhi. Every manufacturer does that, like my friend swiftnfurious pointed out recently in another thread.

But now that the Mobilio and the Jazz are headed to our shores, the pricing gaps will tighten up a lot more.

Looking at the pricing of the Amaze, I suspect Honda might try to bring in the Mobilio in the 6.99L to 9.49L bracket, with at least 3 variants each in petrol/diesel (Ertiga is in-between 6.92L and 9.18L).

That will leave a really tight window for the Jazz's variants (I am guesstimating a figure between 4.99L and 6.49L, so as to differentiate itself enough from Amaze/Mobilio, and keep the distance from Brio).

That line of logic leaves us with the 2014 City's lineup to start with the E MT onwards. Starting price? 7.99L for the petrol E MT, and 8.99L for the diesel E MT.

(all prices I am throwing out are ex-showroom, Bilaspur)

That will leave them enough scope to price the Vezel effectively if/when it comes to our shores, to take on the Duster, Terrano, base models of the XUV/Safari/Scorpio and the top-end Ecosport variants. Target audiences might be different, but Honda won't want one of its own products to cannibalise sales, like it has happened with the Civic-City and the City-Amaze cases.

But yes, there will be some overlap in pricing definitely, now that the Brio, Jazz, Amaze, Mobilio and the City, all are squeezing themselves below 10L. The reports that the 2014 City might be priced a bit more than the contemporary version could be true, with Honda throwing in some more equipment to justify the price increase.

All in all, an interesting dilemma for the Honda guys. But seeing as how they priced the Brio & the Amaze, I am expecting dynamite pricing for all their future products. Honda should keep the pleasant surprises going, and that should help them immensely for their Vision 2017 plans. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3300258 (Honda India : The Way Forward))

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd November 2013 at 20:21.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 23:56   #479
BHPian

Smile re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
I would have to reluctantly agree as well. Honda might look to introduce a Corporate Edition petrol at least, to peg/advertise the initial starting price at 7.49L ex-showroom, Delhi. Every manufacturer does that, like my friend swiftnfurious pointed out recently in another thread.

But now that the Mobilio and the Jazz are headed to our shores, the pricing gaps will tighten up a lot more.

Looking at the pricing of the Amaze, I suspect Honda might try to bring in the Mobilio in the 6.99L to 9.49L bracket, with at least 3 variants each in petrol/diesel (Ertiga is in-between 6.92L and 9.18L).

That will leave a really tight window for the Jazz's variants (I am guesstimating a figure between 4.99L and 6.49L, so as to differentiate itself enough from Amaze/Mobilio, and keep the distance from Brio).

That line of logic leaves us with the 2014 City's lineup to start with the E MT onwards. Starting price? 7.99L for the petrol E MT, and 8.99L for the diesel E MT.

(all prices I am throwing out are ex-showroom, Bilaspur)

That will leave them enough scope to price the Vezel effectively if/when it comes to our shores, to take on the Duster, Terrano, base models of the XUV/Safari/Scorpio and the top-end Ecosport variants. Target audiences might be different, but Honda won't want one of its own products to cannibalise sales, like it has happened with the Civic-City and the City-Amaze cases.

But yes, there will be some overlap in pricing definitely, now that the Brio, Jazz, Amaze, Mobilio and the City, all are squeezing themselves below 10L. The reports that the 2014 City might be priced a bit more than the contemporary version could be true, with Honda throwing in some more equipment to justify the price increase.

All in all, an interesting dilemma for the Honda guys. But seeing as how they priced the Brio & the Amaze, I am expecting dynamite pricing for all their future products. Honda should keep the pleasant surprises going, and that should help them immensely for their Vision 2017 plans. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...l#post3300258) (Honda India : The Way Forward)
Absolutely right. It seems Honda is leaving no stone unturned to reclaim their position in the auto industry. The very fact that they are trying to be present in each segment below Rs. 10 lakhs reflects their aggressive mindset after a lost decade. Anyway this augurs well for the Indian automobile industry as it will have both the depth and the spread of choices for the discerning buyer.
spinks_69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 02:17   #480
Max
BHPian

Arrow re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
There was a popular saying in the computer industry that the greatest rival to Microsoft in the PC space was NOT Apple or Linux or anything else, but Microsoft itself! .......... If one company comes close to this in the Indian automotive scene, it has to be Honda (and not Maruti Suzuki, as one may assume).
My friend you should not compare Microsoft and Honda because people are stuck with Microsoft for only 1 reason. Backward software compatibility. Windows 2000 was the last Microsoft innovation after that it has gone down to nothing but just changing things for the sake of change.

Where as Honda is in a very tough competitive market where others have more advance technology, dealer network and great looking cars.

Quote:
The greatest challenges to Honda Cars India Ltd. come from Honda itself, be it their reluctance/inability to brings in diesels (earlier), capacity constraints, tendency to overprice etc.
It was very true "once upon a time" but no longer applicable in today's time. Few days back I test driven Honda amaze and I was very disappointed with its NVH. My wife was so disappointed with the interiors and noise, she has warned me not to even think about buying amaze "trackter". Yes, she calls it "trackter"!

Next day we test driven verna and it was very obvious that amaze is no where near Hyundai Verna in NVH, looks, interior, dashboard design and everything else. Not only this, even Maruti Dzire (price 9.15lakh which is in same category as amaze) or lower segment cars like Hyundai Eon, i10 Grand has better interior then Amaze which cost 9.60 lakhs on road in mumbai! My friend owned accent crdi (1st gen engine) and from his experience I can safely say Huyandai CRDi engines are awesome and have proven them self.

I am sorry if I hurt someone's feeling but Honda India is really making fool of Indian consumers by selling them Amaze - an sub standard diesel car, with nasty interior at such high price just for the sake of Honda badge. I am very disappointed in saying all this after owning 2 generations of honda city myself.

Honda may be no.1 when it comes to petrol engine but it still needs to prove itself with diesel technology and with amaze experience I will be waiting for few years before touching Honda's diesel car specially when so many wonderful and proven diesel cars are available from competition without any waiting period. IMO, Honda is no longer a market leader and they should price Diesel City responsibly other wise it may not do great numbers for them.

Last edited by Max : 23rd November 2013 at 02:45.
Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread