Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th May 2006, 14:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Rudra, I just hope your friend does not have to go the varun roy way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
He agreed and possibly narrowed down his focus on SANTRO. But his wife and son had other plan. They wanted to go for dumb, dumb, dumb.
Am I right in assuming that his wife/kid went for the Xeta due to the latest advertisement (dumb, dumb, ...) ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 14:48   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll
So even after knowing all this, dealer delivered this lemon, which is bad on dealer's part. I really feel pity for Tata's who are succeeding in attracting the customers but such instances really thwart their whole effort.
Definitely something the dealer could have spotted on PDI... All Tata dealers that I have seen were reeling under pressure with more than they can handle. Isn't it something Tata should be aware of ? it is time they took responsibility and ensure that the Dealers stick to proper procedures.

Re. the reverse light, it is part of the Euro III norms. Funny thing though, only the LEFT side reverse light works.... I would understand if only the driver side reverse light works.... any explanations for that ??

Last edited by quicksilver : 30th May 2006 at 14:51.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 14:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver
Re. the reverse light, it is part of the Euro III norms.
That sounds strange, does that mean Euro III norms stipulate that you cannot have two working reverse lamps? Or do they say that "at least" the left side should work?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 15:15   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

What crap!!! my Alto is Euro 3 & so is my friend's Santro & we have two reverse lamps.

Well feel sad for your friend but yes the ads & deal on paper sounds really lucrative & is kind of difficult to resist.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 15:16   #35
DRC
BHPian

well, another one! Not surprised though!

Any one who has the aptitude of looking a little beyond skin deep know about the quality/reliability of TATA products. And there is sheer lack of this aptitude in general public, who Rudra sir mentioned as "Not really a automobile lover class". They may have other interests who knows? But selling their products to unsuspecting victims shoud not be a company's motto or stratgy, which in this case sadly is.

Fiat cars also have the inertia switch. How many of the Fiat owners have ever used it? It works the perpose it is there. CUT OFF FUEL IN CASE OF COLLISION, not during cold. It is a safety device, not a cold start tool .

Hey Palio 2005 newbie, welcome here. You know what, earlier this forum was all praises for Fiat. It's only now that a part of FIAT is getting bashed.. anyways.. enjoy your stay. Like me you will learn a lot
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 15:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
What crap!!! my Alto is Euro 3 & so is my friend's Santro & we have two reverse lamps.
Euro III stipulates that a car should have atleast one reverse light, so if manufaturer provides two they have no problems. So I guess Tatas are doing cost cutting here.
rajdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 16:06   #37
BHPian

If I remember correctly, the first few batches of the Ford Ikon had only one reverse light....(pre 2000).
My 2000 model has both reverse lights functional, but I had seen quite a few models with only one at the time.
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 16:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

>>>>> Tata reliablity issues again.In a new car if u face these kind of problems what will u expect when the car is like 3 to 4 years old...

Only if that car can survive for so long

TATA must be doing some cost cutting techniques by passing on onlt 1 reverse light... Euro norms mostly cover emmission rather than exteriors of the car...
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 17:12   #39
BHPian

There is no easy solution to such dealer- manufacturer issues. You have to raise a hue and cry... write to the dealer, to the manufacturer, generally to higher up's and perhaps to the local newspapers as well. But then when someone who gets a car only for convenience without emotions being involved, all this becomes merely a tedious chore.
But I guess the other option is to live with it, which is not too palatable either. Which leaves only the first option.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 17:18   #40
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
There is no easy solution to such dealer- manufacturer issues. You have to raise a hue and cry... write to the dealer, to the manufacturer, generally to higher up's and perhaps to the local newspapers as well. But then when someone who gets a car only for convenience without emotions being involved, all this becomes merely a tedious chore.
But I guess the other option is to live with it, which is not too palatable either. Which leaves only the first option.
ha ha ha .... mate you suggestion doesnt work with a Co that Manufactures "Dumb .Dumb .... Dumb" .....
SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 17:24   #41
BANNED

Euro standard
http://unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs41-60.html

Indian standard
http://morth.nic.in/mvlrule/rule5_105.pdf
point 7 on page 3.

The minimum requirement is one reverse lamp.

I wonder why nobody criticises Honda for the City ZX VTEC - which comes with only one reverse lamp. Because Honda is not cutting costs?

Other cars that came with one reverse lamp - the first lot of Ikons and the Maruti Zen Classic.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 17:28   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
ha ha ha .... mate you suggestion doesnt work with a Co that Manufactures "Dumb .Dumb .... Dumb" .....
Nowadays companies are getting more and more scared of public opinion. You have no idea what all you can get replaced by threatening to go public. Of course you need a lot of time on your hands, but it usually works.

Point is if a car is priced a lac lower than its similar predecessor, its not margins that would be cut drastically to achieve that. More likely, it would be by saving on quality of components. In which case, there would be many cases as the one Rudra has highlighted. Most people just sit around twiddling their thumbs. If someone starts crying foul, they also find their voices. And if a lot of people shout, they can make quite some noise.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 17:39   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Point is if a car is priced a lac lower than its similar predecessor, its not margins that would be cut drastically to achieve that. More likely, it would be by saving on quality of components.
Excellent point! Well said

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 17:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Euro standard
http://unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs41-60.html

Indian standard
http://morth.nic.in/mvlrule/rule5_105.pdf
point 7 on page 3.

The minimum requirement is one reverse lamp.

I wonder why nobody criticises Honda for the City ZX VTEC - which comes with only one reverse lamp. Because Honda is not cutting costs?

Other cars that came with one reverse lamp - the first lot of Ikons and the Maruti Zen Classic.
Are you sure about the ZX VTEC? I own a ZX GXi and I am pretty sure there are 2 lamps and both work! BTW, the bashing is not for the reverse lamp friend!
pmbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 18:04   #45
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Nowadays companies are getting more and more scared of public opinion. You have no idea what all you can get replaced by threatening to go public. Of course you need a lot of time on your hands, but it usually works.

Companies are getting Scared of Public No doubt ....

But with TATA's its a totally different Story.... If you end up writing or voicing your concern's all TATA will Say is "YOU GO YOUR WAY I GO MINE . Now that the deal is Done ... Its your Headache ... " And they will most likely drive you the Legal Way by keeping mum about the whole thing nd then try to Prove you worng even if their product was faulty ..... TATA's are totally callous .... And Cheap ... prolly year's of Building Bare Bone Truck's has rubbed off on Passenger Car's ... Cos Majority of the Truck owners are least bothered if the Paint is the same shade all through..... the Engine is Sounding Rough .. etc .. and wouldnt Voice their Concern cos its a Truck and its supposed to make Noise ......

With TATA : Best thing to do is to Pick your Vehicle from the dealer Stock Yard .... Thats exactly what i did and i am happy about it or just prolly My Luck that its not given me any trouble .....

OT : What do you think about the following ..

Tata Selling Safari DICOR in India with a 3 ltr 115 BHP (lauched a year ago) and the Same company is launching a 2.2 Ltr 140 BHP 340 NM Safari in the International Market (couple of months away) nd probably in India in Nov/Dec 2006 ..... Would you be happy with the above .... ?
SUV is offline   Reply With Quote