Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th July 2013, 22:32   #16
BHPian

Default Re: PICS: Tata Motors Factory! Detailed report on making of the Indica & Indigo eCS

Nice report. I was expecting that you may not cover Paint shop. Normally companies won't allow entry to Paint Shop due to various reasons. The TCF lines looks very new compared to weldshops. Hope to see more such reports soon
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 22:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Tata Motors Factory. Detailed report on making of the Indica and Indigo eCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I can see Tata's dont have the stringent safety standards being maintained like use of hard hats, safety shoes/gloves/glasses etc since there are some heavy equipments on the top. Some of these areas must also be high noise prone too.
Agreed, I noticed:
* Hard hats not being used on the line. I think there should be a culture of hats must be worn on the floor, no matter where.
* In one picture, hard hats were neatly placed on a box, possibly by their owners!
* Untucked shirts on an assembly line - bad idea. I think its elementary safety that one wear well fitted clothing with no loose bits to be caught in machinery.

I'm not criticising Tata per se, this lackadaisical attitude to safety is endemic to India and Indians.
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 23:14   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Tata Motors Factory. Detailed report on making of the Indica and Indigo eCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Agreed, I noticed:
* Hard hats not being used on the line. I think there should be a culture of hats must be worn on the floor, no matter where.
* In one picture, hard hats were neatly placed on a box, possibly by their owners!
* Untucked shirts on an assembly line - bad idea. I think its elementary safety that one wear well fitted clothing with no loose bits to be caught in machinery.

I'm not criticising Tata per se, this lackadaisical attitude to safety is endemic to India and Indians.
I think it depends - I have been to many Ford and GM factories all over the world and in all of them wearing a hat and goggles are mandatory only in specific areas of the plant.

Agree on shirts not being tucked in though. I find it surprising that they allow it.
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 23:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Visit to the Tata Motors Factory. Assembly of the Indica and Indigo eCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The reason why manufacturers only focus on changing headlamps and taillamps for a facelift and do not bother altering body panels are that the dies used to manufacture the panels cost a bomb to produce. Therefore we continue to see the same Indica the age old Indigo eCS as it was since inception minus the plastic bits. 13 cranes capable of carrying 50 tonnes each are used for transportation of dies.
Hence, Nano doesn't have an openable hatch & an external fuel lid.

Any idea what happens to the old 'dies'/moulding machines? Like the Marina, Sierra etc? Can they be recommissioned?

Seems like TATA is taking drastic steps to ensure production quality is improved.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 01:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: PICS: Tata Motors Factory! Detailed report on making of the Indica & Indigo eCS

Showcasing the Assembly is quite educating from an academic perspective. However the problem lies in spare part vendor management and how they manufacture the components that go into this assembly line.

Even if this assembly line is state-of-the-art or foolproof (there are many human intervention points that could actually do with more supervision, like the steering column fitment being done by a single unmonitored individual - as per pics, bolts tightened to appropriate torque etc) the failures would be mostly related to the components that are being put in.

On a different note, apart from the grille center piece, the eCS now manages to look quite uptodate.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 05:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, I noticed:

Hard hats are generally not required everywhere. There are many factories which dont use them at all. I remember going to the Tata Cummins factory, and I was surprised to see that they dont have hard hats at all. They then explained that their factory has no overhead cranes, conveyer belts or anything else which would mandate the use of hard hats.

But personally in the Tata Pimpri factory, I think as some places require hard hats, I think it would be better to make it mandatory everywhere. I used to work at the commercial vehicles unit's Jamshedpur factory, and we were pretty serious about hard hats and goggles all the time. Unless you were outside a building, ie under the open sky or you were inside some offices, you always had to have your hard hat on. Even guests who would come to visit the factory would be given hard hats and goggles to wear.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 07:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Agreed, I noticed:
We Indians are always shows this attitude towards safety. Regarding hard hats, its not mandatory to use hard hat every where in shop. Normally it is when a person needs to work under a suspended load, or there is some falling hazard or confined space (when a person has to bend and access something in confined space). Toyota is very strict in enforcing these practises (there may be many others as well).

But the good part is slowly we are also started focussing on safety aspects.
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 07:42   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Visit to the Tata Motors Factory. Assembly of the Indica and Indigo eCS

Quote:
Paint shop:

A newly adopted mantra by Tata motors is put up on boards all around the assembly line:

Attachment 1099549
If Tata motors strictly follow this, it will result in solving the initial niggles associated with many of their cars
way to go Tata, Karl Sym seems hell bent on improving almost everything at Tata,
However on the quality front, A little more emphasis should be laid on the supplying vendors,

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th July 2013 at 07:46. Reason: Fixing quote tag
san2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 08:56   #24
BHPian

Very detailed report with great pictures! The depth at which each detail is captured is marvellous. This Indigo ECS facelift looks the best than all its previous ones. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Satshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 09:16   #25
BHPian

That's one detailed report, at least for commoners like me, might never have the privilege to visit such a workshop.
The presentation of the layout plan is so helpful in understanding the sections through which the car travels to get its final form.

But it still has miles to go. I do believe, (may be I am wrong) for Tata to be at par with brands like Honda or Toyota, the top management has to change.

Every step has to be monitored minutely which is were Tata falls back, atleast in India.
Quote:
A digital board displays status of the trim line:

Attachment 1099548
Check the digital board display, 'Actual' on A shift is 81, total shows 8 or atleast the '1' not displaying.
Was anyone bothered as to why it was not working? the 'chalta hai' attitude is where things get ruined.

There are a lot of photographs with tilts (hinders the viewing pleasure), few unsharp too.
If Tbhp is very particular about the content and grammar, I think some standard should be maintained in presenting the photographs too, at least when its coming from a moderator.
Please don't take this personally, my effort is to upgrade the visual standard on display.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 5th July 2013 at 09:26.
himadrimondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 09:49   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
There are a lot of photographs with tilts (hinders the viewing pleasure), few unsharp too.
If Tbhp is very particular about the content and grammar, I think some standard should be maintained in presenting the photographs too, at least when its coming from a moderator.
Please don't take this personally, my effort is to upgrade the visual standard on display.
Sure enough. if you would read my acknowledgement about photography restrictions, you'd know why!

Quote:
We were onboard a fleet of Tata Wingers minus the side panels. There was no way that some sections of the trim line could be photographed being seated in a moving vehicle. Also, some of the trims were on the other side of the line and made it difficult to be photographed. Strict instructions were issued against stopping any vehicle for any purpose of photography.
You'll also observe that in some pictures, the person who was explaining the assembly process to us outstretched his hand right at the time when I clicked a picture. I would have gladly chosen not to include that picture due to sub-standard quality but then as long as the subject was in the frame I ignored the hand. Editing tons of pictures is not my forte. We weren't aware that photography would be permitted in the first place.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 10:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
There are a lot of photographs with tilts (hinders the viewing pleasure), few unsharp too. If Tbhp is very particular about the content and grammar, I think some standard should be maintained in presenting the photographs too, at least when its coming from a moderator. Please don't take this personally, my effort is to upgrade the visual standard on display.
I disagree. First, these photographs are not entries for any photo competition that we need to be such prudes about them. Second, even if they were, "not sharp" does not mean bad photographs. These photos are just visual aids to a written description and they should be treated as such. Even the soft photos and the tilted photos convey the manufacturing process very well. Contrast this to the bad grammar and bad language, which tend to obfuscate the idea being conveyed.

Given the restrictions, (such as being in a moving van and being seated in a fixed position without ample room to compose a shot) I think these photos have turned out quite well. Thanks moralfibre for the excellent report and photos.
ashlil is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 12:01   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
T
Good to see your concern Himadri, but clicking pictures in such an environment with so much control all around with other limitations like being seated in a moving factory vehicle with other people, certainly not the best of situations where you try a creative hand at photography.
In my opinion, in this situation, more than the crispness or color tone, what needed to be conveyed was as many steps of manufacturing as possible, which Moralfibre has did. I am not appreciating his effort because he is a moderator. If you had posted these pictures, I would have appreciated your effort equally.

Quote:
S
You'll also observe that in some pictures, the person who was explaining the assembly process to us outstretched his hand right at the time when I clicked a picture. I would have gladly chosen not to include that picture due to sub-standard quality but then as long as the subject was in the frame I ignored the hand. Editing tons of pictures is not my forte. We weren't aware that photography would be permitted in the first place.
That was a marvelous thread Moralfbre as I have already commented. As I said, the aim was to provide as many pictures from the assembly line as possible and I am glad that you chose not to omit much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Given the restrictions, (such as being in a moving van and being seated in a fixed position without ample room to compose a shot) I think these photos have turned out quite well. Thanks moralfibre for the excellent report and photos.
+1. Photos have turned out quite well really, even in such conditions.

I do not know if I will get a chance to visit an automobile factory in my entire life. I sincerely thank MF for posting these pictures to satisfy my enthusiasm about the manufacturing process and people, know that these are first hand photographs. Not a staged or enacted process put up by the manufacturers.

Thanks for sharing this.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 15:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wow, my memories refreshed. Truly Tata motors has a world class manufacturing facility and now with the new initiatives they are marching towards better and better quality.

Given a chance one can visit the world truck manufacturing plant and the marcopolo bus plants. They are again a world class plants.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 17:48   #30
BHPian

A great example of media (and social media, in our case) outreach. It has to be lauded for its intent. More such programs are needed, maybe from interested customers. Being an user of a TML product (Indica eV2), I can appreciate a lot of the points you have made here. I have no complaints on the product itself- the engine and transmission especially gems given the price points they are sold in. These men and women you have featured are honest folks who deliver what they have to deliver. Interestingly, the "problem" departments seem to be well shielded from scrutiny- and that needs to change.

1- Product Designers. I would LOVE to lay my hands on the guys to signed off on the ergonomics of eV2 (over successive versions, each one of which is an opportunity to change for the better). They would be few, and have fouled the reputation of MANY. Indeed, I may sell my eV2 soon for nothing other than bad ergonomics.
2- QA testers- what is it with the atrocious panel gaps, early life creaking sounds et al? And they better not tell me its only in the eV2. That would make it worse for if nothing, it would mean that cheaper cars get lower quality by default. Which should not be the case. Even if you look at Maruti, the 800 gets lower equipment list (hardly any) but NOT lower quality. If they admit that quality issues are endemic, then well.......

3- Dealer development and dealer engineer training- 'nuff said here already

I wonder if Karl Slym would try focusing some bright light of customer anger on these departments. It would do them, and TML a world of good. Its unfair to make the dealers and PR departments face all the flak, IMHO.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 5th July 2013 at 17:50. Reason: correcting some typos
Contrapunto is offline   Reply With Quote