Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st June 2013, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Default Should Mahindra launch a 2WD Thar CRDe?

The Mahindra Thar CRDe has raised a lot of controversy and debate on this forum, with true-blue Jeepers bashing it for not being a truly capable off-roader, and several others feeling that Mahindra built the Jeep that the market wanted. There have been calls for Mahindra to build a more capable version that can actually survive a real off-road track with all the bits intact, and do it all over again without needing an expensive pitstop.

My question is, should they do a complete turnaround? Why doesn't Mahindra simply take out the 4WD mechanicals, put on a smart hard top and the Bolero dash and turn it into a 2-door Urban SUV? They have the mechanicals in the Bolero, and it seems that a majority of Thar owners never use the 4WD anyway. Maybe a front facing rear seat and sliding front seats?

This would no doubt bring the costs down, further increasing the appeal for younger (and less rich) buyers who just want the Jeep looks and amenities like PS and AC. Several workshops are successfully putting this idea into action, building WWII replica poser jeeps with no 4WD or off-road capability, and there seems to be a good demand for them.

Thoughts? And Mahindra, are you listening?

@Mods: Please move this thread to a more appropriate location if needed.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 22:43   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Should Mahindra launch a 2WD Thar CRDe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
My question is, should they do a complete turnaround? Why doesn't Mahindra simply take out the 4WD mechanicals, put on a smart hard top and the Bolero dash and turn it into a 2-door Urban SUV? They have the mechanicals in the Bolero, and it seems that a majority of Thar owners never use the 4WD anyway. Maybe a front facing rear seat and sliding front seats?
The Bolero does that for them, albeit with an additional 2 doors and no one seems to be complaining.
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 23:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
The Bolero does that for them, albeit with an additional 2 doors and no one seems to be complaining.
The Bolero doesn't have the classic Jeep looks. It's one of the main reasons the Invader didn't do well in the personal segment. That and the lack of amenities.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

Should TBHP allow 2WD discussions in 4x4 section? Fortunately, that argument was settled by the mod team long back.

Regarding the topic of the thread, I feel they should launch 2WD CRDe. Majority of the Thars are being driven on highway and cities. Why should they spend extra on the 4WD parts? It will reduce the cost of Thar CRDe significantly. Those who need 4WD, can buy 4WD by paying extra.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 13:20   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 4x4 system easily adds a lakh to the ex-showroom price. For someone who isn't going to off-road, no point paying that extra $$$, coping with the additional maintenance or lower fuel economy.

However, I don't think Mahindra will be introducing a Thar 4x2 anytime soon. Guesses:

1. It would affect the bottom line. While manufacturers usually account for Rs. 100,000 for the 4x4 system (when pricing the 4x4), the actual cost is much lower.

2. Further to the previous point, most people won't even bother with the 4x4 anymore. A majority of Thar sales will be for the 4x2, thus affecting revenue.

3. 4x2 Jeep wannabes could affect the Thar's image.

4. The lifestyle vehicle segment isn't that price sensitive, nor will it ever bring volumes. I'm not sure if a cheaper variant will lead to any long-term hike in Thar sales.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2013 at 13:21.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 17:33   #6
AWD
BANNED

A 4X2 Thar would a good option, as already mentioned cut costs significantly for the end user & will give the Company additional sales, which I think they need now because of over-whelming competition from all side. Yes Thar has no real competition but still having more numbers will help Mahindras cause.

Also if there can be a DI 4X2, Thar 4X2 makes al-the-more sense.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 17:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - everything is ready, with two options of front suspension, parts are also there, but in my opinion, Thar CRDe 2WD should not be launched!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - everything is ready, with two options of front suspension, parts are also there, but in my opinion, Thar CRDe 2WD should not be launched!
I agree! Thar CRDe should not be launched.

For 2WD, buyers can consider other bling options. The purity of the Jeep (CRDe) is in its 4WD, why mess it up for bling. As it absolutely makes no sense for a CRDe 2WD, except for looks.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 20:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Though it may not go well with off-road purists, but come to think of it Thar is an aspirational and lifestyle vehicle for sure with majority of customer hardly going off tarmac most of the times, the 4x4 is hardly put to use.

Just look as the numerous modded vintage jeeps and army scraps that are churned out by the unorganized market and lapped up by many who would like to show off their butch vehicles.

It would make business sense to bring in a 4x2 with all the cosmetic bits san AWD and air conditioner which could easily shave a lakh or more and may be add another 500 units to their kitty. Also when other vehicles in their line up such as the Scorpio, XUV have both versions to offer, why not launch it in a Thar.

If the Thar brand seems to be diluting by this move, it can probably re-brand the 4x2 version and launch it in the market.

Last edited by girishglg : 23rd June 2013 at 20:53.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 20:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Though it may not go well with off-road purists, but come to think of it Thar is an aspirational and lifestyle vehicle for sure with many customer hardly going off tarmac most of the times.

Just look as the numerous modded vintage jeeps and army scraps that are churned out by the unorganized market and lapped up by many who would like to show off their butch vehicles.

It would make business sense to bring in a 4x2 with all the cosmetic bits san AWD and air conditioner which could easily shave a lakh or more and may be add another 500 units to their kitty.

If the Thar brand seems to be diluting by this move, it can probably re-brand the 4x2 version and launch it in the market
I doubt;they have the DI 4X2 and 4X4 catering to that Market.
Does not make sense to Launch a 4X2 Version,and if you want to see what people are doing with their 4WD Crde Thar's Check this page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gerra...640320?fref=ts

Last edited by akshay4587 : 23rd June 2013 at 20:54.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 23:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I agree! Thar CRDe should not be launched.

For 2WD, buyers can consider other bling options. The purity of the Jeep (CRDe) is in its 4WD, why mess it up for bling. As it absolutely makes no sense for a CRDe 2WD, except for looks.
The Jeep name was not always just about strictly off-road vehicles. What about the Jeep Station Wagon? Or the Jeepster?

There isn't another bling option that has the Jeep looks. It's exactly for the looks and the feel-good factor that a lot of Thars are sold nowadays. If Mahindra positions the new vehicle differently as a pure lifestyle vehicle (Big alloy rims and fat street tyres should do it) then this would actually improve the cred of the original Thar. 4WD would then be a choice and not just a never used extra that came with the Jeep looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Though it may not go well with off-road purists, but come to think of it Thar is an aspirational and lifestyle vehicle for sure with majority of customer hardly going off tarmac most of the times, the 4x4 is hardly put to use.

It would make business sense to bring in a 4x2 with all the cosmetic bits san AWD and air conditioner which could easily shave a lakh or more and may be add another 500 units to their kitty. Also when other vehicles in their line up such as the Scorpio, XUV have both versions to offer, why not launch it in a Thar.

If the Thar brand seems to be diluting by this move, it can probably re-brand the 4x2 version and launch it in the market.
Exactly. Although I think that more comforts, not less would be the way to go. It should definitely have AC and PS as standard.

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Even if Mahindra were to launch it as an entirely different product with a different name, with only the Jeep body and drivetrain minus the 4WD bits being common?
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 10:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - in my opinion, Thar DI 2WD must have a variant which looks like Thar CRDe. It is a logical progression, which can once again leverage the common platform concept. As "bling-o-maniacs" want it, current driveline with 3.73:1 axle ratio is OK for them, because it is not important in any case! The current Thar DI customers are buying them as workhorses. That clientele is not going to go down by doing this variant, on the contrary, if this thingy catches on, it can becomes a very affordable "bling-o-runabout"!

It is so simple. I don't know what is taking them so long, Vinod, over to you! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 11:00   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Dear all - in my opinion, Thar DI 2WD must have a variant which looks like Thar CRDe
Many buyers would be more interested in IFS also.

A Thar DI/m2DiCR 2WD with IFS , AC and Immobilizor can be a good choice if second row is not priority.

This can be a good personal commute vehicle.
Vishal.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 11:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, what will be the purpose of a Thar CRDe 2WD?

Practicality = NO
Utility = NO
Performance = NO
Comfort = NO
Economical = NO
Safety = NO
Service/Maintenance Friendly = NO
Fun to Drive = NO
City Friendly = NO
Highway Friendly = NO
Weather Protection = NO

BLING = YES.

So, is there any point in owning a vehicle just for bling? IMO, it will bring down the value of the product very much.

Also, IMO, the feel good factor now associated with the Thar owners is that, even though 90% of them have never used the 4WD lever, they have a feeling that they ride a very capable machine, and the way their machine performs cannot be matched by any other vehicle in the market, except for some pricey ones(?)..

With the launch of 2WD version of the same vehicle, I think this feel good factor originating due to the exclusivity of the product will be lost.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 13:00   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Practicality = NO
Utility = NO
Performance = NO
Comfort = NO
Economical = NO
Safety = NO
Service/Maintenance Friendly = NO
Fun to Drive = NO
City Friendly = NO
Highway Friendly = NO
Weather Protection = NO
BLING = YES.
Now you got me really curious. I want to hear your score for 4WD CRDe using the same questions.
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote