Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th November 2013, 01:12   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?

Which is the most famous mode of transport for school children? The Auto. Or some OLD resurrected matchbox called Omni.

Its unbelievably unsafe, but people still choose to transport the most precious asset of their lives in it. Why so? Because theres no acceptable economical alternative.

The Nano, apart from a 'Smart City Car', is also a 'Financial Solution'. WHY can't TATA extend that financial solution exclusively to schools under some 'special scheme'?

But can they pull it off? They'd have to give it a 'Fun' makeover with decorative graphics and ensure schools use it mainly for transporting kids.

Agreed, they don't want to sell it commercially, but this could bring in the numbers.

I know ALOT of thoughts are jumping in your heads of the non-viability, but we're exploring 'possibilities' here, not 'impossibilities'.

(This post demonstrates the need of such transport : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3307071 )

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 30th November 2013 at 01:14.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 07:22   #137
BHPian

@GrammarNazi: In Bangalore I have already seen yellow nano for transporting the school kids. However, Tata's have a better vehicle for it in that price bracket: Magic IRIS Zip.
PNTLovesNano is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 10:18   #138
BHPian

Default Ratan Tata: Marketing Nano as 'cheapest car' was a mistake

SINGAPORE: The Tata group may consider launching its small car Nano in a new avatar in another country like Indonesia, where it doesn't have the 'stigma' of being 'the cheapest car', and bring it back to India for a fresh start with a new image, according to chairman emeritus Ratan Tata.

Tata, who stepped down as the chairman of the salt-to-software conglomerate last December, said Nano could also be marketed as a changed product in Europe to tap interest on the car outside India.

"Maybe it (Nano) gets launched in another country like Indonesia, where it doesn't have the stigma and the new image comes back to India. Or maybe as a changed product that gets marketed in Europe. There's a lot of interest in Nano outside India," Tata said in an interview on CNBC's Managing Asia.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/26588240.cms
Car-Agey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 16:35   #139
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how relevant is this in increasing the sales of Nano, but the Nano has been awarded as the Most Attractive & Trusted Brand, as per Brand Trust Report 2013.

More details here:

http://motorbash.com/nano-most-attra...t-report-2013/

Hopefully it repeats the Alto story in India for Tata.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 10:20   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Which is the most famous mode of transport for school children? The Auto. Or some OLD resurrected matchbox called Omni.

Its unbelievably unsafe, but people still choose to transport the most precious asset of their lives in it. Why so? Because theres no acceptable economical alternative.

The Nano, apart from a 'Smart City Car', is also a 'Financial Solution'. WHY can't TATA extend that financial solution exclusively to schools under some 'special scheme'?

But can they pull it off? They'd have to give it a 'Fun' makeover with decorative graphics and ensure schools use it mainly for transporting kids.

Agreed, they don't want to sell it commercially, but this could bring in the numbers.

I know ALOT of thoughts are jumping in your heads of the non-viability, but we're exploring 'possibilities' here, not 'impossibilities'.

(This post demonstrates the need of such transport : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3307071 )
The main reason I see about Nano not being used as school van is the limited seating capacity. Omni can carry almost double the number of children at a slightly higher(1.1 lac difference bet Nano Std and Omni 8-seater) purchase cost.

But it's high time autos as City taxis getting replaced with Nanos.

Tata gave Nano an image of a 1-lac Rupee car, and they're selling it at double the price. People usually prefer it the other way - lower price tag and higher image. 'Cheapest' has a very different image from 'fastest', 'safest' etc. If Tata wants to sell Nano in huge volumes, they should keep the prices at reachable distances from the actual '1-lac' image it has
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 12:22   #141
BHPian

Nano is very confusing car to buy.

Its a very practical car and ticks all check marks in the brain. Unfortunately there is nothing for the heart in this car.

Even though it maybe a perfect city car for 2 odd lakhs anybody including me is very hesitant whether to go for it or not.

Most would rather spend a couple of lakhs more and go for any other small car brand / model.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 01:11   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
The main reason I see about Nano not being used as school van is the limited seating capacity. Omni can carry almost double the number of children at a slightly higher(1.1 lac difference bet Nano Std and Omni 8-seater) purchase cost.

But it's high time autos as City taxis getting replaced with Nanos.

Tata gave Nano an image of a 1-lac Rupee car, and they're selling it at double the price. People usually prefer it the other way - lower price tag and higher image. 'Cheapest' has a very different image from 'fastest', 'safest' etc. If Tata wants to sell Nano in huge volumes, they should keep the prices at reachable distances from the actual '1-lac' image it has
If not Nano, Magic Iris is gradually replacing 3 wheeler auto rickshaws in Kerala. Also Kerala has few Nano taxis driven by women drivers as a special initiative to promote labor for woman.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 09:50   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
If not Nano, Magic Iris is gradually replacing 3 wheeler auto rickshaws in Kerala. Also Kerala has few Nano taxis driven by women drivers as a special initiative to promote labor for woman.
I used to feel very good seeing this change, even though it came very late and slow. Having seen so many auto accidents, sometimes live, sometimes on youtube, and so many times damaged autos parked at roadside, I hate them. They don't offer any safety for the driver or passenger. Since the rickshaw's driver seat is at the centre (like an F1 car ) they have to turn the vehicle at least 45degree to comfortably see what's going on behind the vehicle. By that time itself, someone coming from behind closely would hit the half-turned auto. I have seen this happening to a poor biker.

I strongly feel Tata should arrange campaigns to attract rickshaw drivers to upgrade to the Magic Iris and Nano. Since a new rickshaw costs around 1.8Lacs, it's not a big deal to think about a cheap-to-maintain 4 wheeler taxi the Iris or a Nano std in place of a rickshaw. It's just that the average auto driver thinks only about buying a new auto to replace his old auto. If Tata does a good campaign among them at each junctions, around auto stands, etc providing easy finance schemes and some good offers, they'll get enough customers. I would any day not mind paying 1 or max 2 Rs extra per km for a Nano instead of an auto.

But then maybe Tata can't keep the 'premium' image they're trying to give the Nano.
Old 13th December 2013, 11:48   #144
Senior - BHPian

Any day i will prefer Tata Nano or Iris over normal auto rickshaws. Normal auto rickshaws suspension is horrible once it is old. You can directly feel the road bumps, speed breakers in it. In last few years, whenever i travel in auto, i am afraid that it will cause me back pain. When my wife was pregnant, doctor strictly told her to avoid auto rickshaws. So Tata needs to target this market. They need to come up with some plan. Take government approval if needed. If they can do it, it can easily sell like 10-15 K per month for sure and also it will go long way for years to come. Diesel Nano can take the game to next level as well.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 13:05   #145
Senior - BHPian

Read this news today on IBN:

Tata Motors is all set to launch the new Nano Twist with much-needed power steering. The Twist is expected to cost Rs 15,000 more than the top end Nano LX (Rs 2,23,500) and it is likely to be launched on January 15, 2014.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/new-tata-...05-25-166.html
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 13:55   #146
BHPian

And what more! Imagine replacing the autos in the first pic with the Nano in the other pic, or even the Iris. We can see how much it can change the face of our Metros. We'll also be free from the noise those(old ones, I mean) autos make. And I sincerely hope they'll start going in straight line, once they're devoid of the freedom to turn at the current 0.5 meter turning radius.

Tata should focus on this sector, and make the auto wallas buy Nano or Iris. In Sri Lanka they have NanoCabs, and they're pretty popular there it seems. Why can't we have NanoCabs?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?-autorain.jpg  

Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?-nano.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th December 2013, 18:00   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Read this news today on IBN:

Tata Motors is all set to launch the new Nano Twist with much-needed power steering. The Twist is expected to cost Rs 15,000 more than the top end Nano LX (Rs 2,23,500) and it is likely to be launched on January 15, 2014.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/new-tata-...05-25-166.html
Would they provide an option for the existing Nanos to be fitted with the power steering. In fact, is it possible at all to do such a fitment? I would definitely like a power steering on my nano.
srj1266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 20:12   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj1266 View Post
Would they provide an option for the existing Nanos to be fitted with the power steering. In fact, is it possible at all to do such a fitment? I would definitely like a power steering on my nano.
Will have to see the changes in Twist version but I think its difficult to retrofit critical parts like power steering to the ECU controlled modern cars without taking a big risk. Considering the potential risk that could be caused by a malfunctioning of steering, I don't think it would be a good idea to try something like that on a Nano.

If you retrofit power steering to your current Nano, expect its resale value to be ZERO since most people would walk away from that car when you plan to sell it. It might be a safer and better option to sell your current Nano and buy a new one.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 19:08   #149
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Will have to see the changes in Twist version but I think its difficult to retrofit critical parts like power steering to the ECU controlled modern cars without taking a big risk. Considering the potential risk that could be caused by a malfunctioning of steering, I don't think it would be a good idea to try something like that on a Nano.

If you retrofit power steering to your current Nano, expect its resale value to be ZERO since most people would walk away from that car when you plan to sell it. It might be a safer and better option to sell your current Nano and buy a new one.
A big WHY to your statement. We have seen people fitting/retrofitting power steering/power windows on non power steering/manual window versions of the Maruti 800/alto for ages!! The cars don't seem to lose their resale by these retrofits.
Also what is the big risk of retrofitting a power steering unit if company workshops themselves do the task? And how has power steering unit affected by the car having an ECU or not?
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 19:56   #150
mgh
BHPian

When you do not have power steering, you have to get the car barely moving before turning the wheel, a trick everyone who has driven the ambys and fiat 1100 learnt.

In the modern situation power steering is justified.

A petite 5 feet nothing female relative drives a 2012 Nano without problems, She keeps 28 psi at front and 30 psi at back in the tubeless tyres. At 26,28 she finds steering heavy.

just for info
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote