Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd January 2014, 16:25   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
I do not think it's fair to compare its FE figures with a motorcycle without addressing this tiny piece of detail. For a person riding a 150cc bike or a scooter in traffic, the FE figures are in the range of 40-48km/l with 2 passengers. To ferry a family of four, you need a theoretical equivalent of 2 vehicles (though many people prefer to pull off this stunt on a single vehicle).
In practice, this is exactly what they do, 4 on a two wheeler. In all kinds of weather, and precisely the target market Ratan Tata had in mind - in which case, the 48 kmpl is very relevant.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 10:48   #182

In my opinion: It is one of those marketing tricks that backfires! Nano is a classic case study where sometimes the (less thought about) key marketing message is sufficient to kill a well deserved product. In this case, messages as - 'India's cheapest car!' OR 'India's first 1L car' does the job.

Seriously, how many of us would want to own something that has been tagged not just cheap but the cheapest. . Its like hitting the ego right on the dot. So many people who were once keen to own this as a second vehicle in their homes are now even skeptical to own it for grocery shopping.

One can always argue that there were technical flaws in the earlier release but that, I believe, did not spoil the game as much as the whole market positioning did. Again that's just my opinion and people may have a different outlook all together.
shashanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 15:48   #183
Senior - BHPian

One could plonk another engine up in the front and add quadra steer which allows both front and rear wheels to be steered.

The front engine would drive the front wheels.

The two engines and the two sets of steering wheels could be controlled mechanically or electronically.

It would be an unbeatable combination!

Ah, time to wake up.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 17:17   #184
BHPian

Tata Nano just sold 545 copies during December'13 . Source: Indianautosblog Now this is going way beyond pathetic! Never thought the seasonal market slowdown would take this car down to bedrock!
vvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 12:11   #185
Senior - BHPian

In order to correct the situation, Tata team has planned for more stuff for the Nano as per the report here.
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/53...unch-price.htm

Most of the report seems to be correct. So I am guessing after the Twist launch next week, we have more stuff like LED headlamps, better seats etc. making way into this 'tiny' car.

Still not sure about the diesel version and the price range.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 12:27   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
In order to correct the situation, Tata team has planned for more stuff for the Nano as per the report here.
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/53...unch-price.htm
this will improve the sales by a bit, but not by much.

People who are considering a Nano will keep waiting for a newer updated version. as they updated versions keep coming every few months

Some of the existing Nano owners will try to sell it off before their version gets outdated and resale price dips further.

Other nano owners will continue to flog it.

the remaining folks who can do with a barebone outdated nano will buy a preowned one at throw away prices

so who will buy a new Nano? unless it comes in diesel avatar and blows away all other small cars on the mileage front for urban commuting.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 15:16   #187
BHPian

The Nano has never had a major update. Even the 2012 version was the equivalent of the Indica V2.

The major changes that I would like to see are:
- A balancer shaft in the engine to reduce vibrations
- A quieter muffler
- Better seats
- Disc brakes for the front wheels
- Power steering
- Battery and jack relocation under the bonnet. This will free space under the front seats for useful storage bins or even a sub-woofer
- Upgraded horn that sounds better and louder
- A hatch at the rear
- Better thermal insulation to prevent the rear seat heating up
- Spring detents on the door hinges to prevent the doors swinging open or close uncontrollably
- Cabin light linked to the doors
- Internally adjustable mirrors, at least as an option

I hope that the upgraded Nano comes with at least some of these changes but I think the chances of that are slim.
Motard_Blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 15:32   #188
BHPian

I personally love the Nano and I am even proud of it hence, it feels really sad with the dwindling sales numbers month after month.

I think, Tata should try and launch a fully-loaded car with some top-end features like
- Power steering (much more convenient for the fairer sex)
- Automatic gear box (this will make it even more city and women friendly)
- Climate control
- Openable boot
- Perhaps a higher 1L engine (if they can indeed fit it in there, but I have read some scoop reports of Nano with 1.2L Indica engine)

Even if this means the price is close to 3.5L, I believe it will give the low end Marutis a run for their money.

Last edited by teemus : 8th January 2014 at 15:36. Reason: incomplete post.. got posted accidently.
teemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 18:38   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The major changes that I would like to see are:
- A balancer shaft in the engine to reduce vibrations
Nano has had this feature from the very beginning.
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 20:32   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Nano has had this feature from the very beginning.
I stand corrected.

But this is bad news! Even with a balancer shaft, the engine vibrates quite a lot and is generally unrefined. Tata has a long way to go to refine the Nano!
Motard_Blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 22:24   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
I think, Tata should try and launch a fully-loaded car with some top-end features like
- Power steering (much more convenient for the fairer sex)
- Automatic gear box (this will make it even more city and women friendly)
- Climate control
- Openable boot
- Perhaps a higher 1L engine (if they can indeed fit it in there, but I have read some scoop reports of Nano with 1.2L Indica engine)

Even if this means the price is close to 3.5L, I believe it will give the low end Marutis a run for their money.
Never. Until the entire shape itself changes Why?

1. Most of the people dont consider features and VFM proposition in front of image. The Nano's image is well etched in the minds of Indians. Just like the Indica and Indigo, the Nano too has got an image of its own. Even if now the Tatas load it to the brim with unheard features, the Nano will still be a Nano. They have already added features and improved things to cure the problem of low sales, but it seldom helped. So be it power steering, ACC or anything that is of convenience to the buyer, but the image will remain.

Same applies to the Vista, Manza and the Aria. Though they are good products overall, they didnt click and though the Vista and Manza were given enough features and facelifts, they still remained an Indica and Indigo in the minds of the people.

2. When the Nano didnt give the M800 and alto a run, you think it will come anywhere close to a WagonR, A-star or the like?
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 00:20   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I stand corrected.

But this is bad news! Even with a balancer shaft, the engine vibrates quite a lot and is generally unrefined. Tata has a long way to go to refine the Nano!
What makes you say the engine is unrefined and vibrates a lot?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 09:24   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unrefined in relation to what?

It would be unfair to expect a 2 cylinder engine to have the NVH characteristics of a 3 or 4 cylinder!

I had once read a review of E class Mercedes Benz in an international publication in which the car had been criticized for having a 4 cylinder engine that didn't have the power and refinement characteristics of a V6!

Nano should only be compared with the likes of VW Beatle, Citroen 2 CV and the original Fiat 500!
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 10:16   #194
Senior - BHPian

I think people tend to bash things without experiencing firsthand. Changing people's perception is nearly impossible.

When I test drove the Nano the salesman had brought a 2011 model abd as we parked the car and switched seats I could feel the door shaking. The salesman assured me the 2012 Nano wouldn't have this problem. He wasn't lying.

My car after 1.5 years and around 26k on odo doesn't behave any different than any other hatch wrt vibrations. It's as refined as any other.

Regarding the hill climbing again I had a chance to test it a few weeks ago. The climb was quite steep and the Nano with two people did climb easily in 1st. Losing momentum would have been difficult but that would have been for any other car. Also no other car could have done it in a higher gear. So I guess the Nano is on par with that too.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:01   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I think people tend to bash things without experiencing firsthand. Changing people's perception is nearly impossible....
My car after 1.5 years and around 26k on odo doesn't behave any different than any other hatch wrt vibrations. It's as refined as any other.
Regarding the hill climbing again I had a chance to test it a few weeks ago. The climb was quite steep and the Nano with two people did climb easily in 1st. Losing momentum would have been difficult but that would have been for any other car. Also no other car could have done it in a higher gear. So I guess the Nano is on par with that too.
True. People love throwing stones at shiny things.

When I did a hill climb at a place called Yercaud, I easily managed to climb up the hair-pin bends in 2nd and 3rd gear, NOT ONCE did I shift down to 1st gear for the climb - and this is with 4 aboard with a little luggage.

The Nano seemed no different from other cars. Infact the RWD setup helps in this scenario.

My only grouse with tata is that they should've provided front disc brakes, because whenever I may go through a waterlogged section, the brakes (being typical drum brakes) tend to fade abit.

Otherwise it's a great car IMO.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 9th January 2014 at 11:02.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote