Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th January 2014, 11:23   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
My only grouse with tata is that they should've provided front disc brakes, because whenever I may go through a waterlogged section, the brakes (being typical drum brakes) tend to fade abit.
Water wading is something we don't do every day, and usually it has to be done at slow speeds. Plus even for front disc brakes, there is brake fade for a few metres after crossing waterlogged areas. So I guess the Nano doesn't have a specific disadvantage here.

With the improved brake boosters in the 2012 version the Nano has as good braking power as any other hatch. I did take time getting used to the braking, because switching from front discs to all drums meant the brake pedal required a little more than a gentle nudge, but once I got the hang of it, I never found it wanting.

In fact a couple of times during emergency braking I managed to lock the wheels and I didn't think I had to exercise greater force in braking than what I would in a car with front discs.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:36   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Unrefined in relation to what?

It would be unfair to expect a 2 cylinder engine to have the NVH characteristics of a 3 or 4 cylinder!

I had once read a review of E class Mercedes Benz in an international publication in which the car had been criticized for having a 4 cylinder engine that didn't have the power and refinement characteristics of a V6!

Nano should only be compared with the likes of VW Beatle, Citroen 2 CV and the original Fiat 500!
Firstly, I own a Nano and I'm happy I bought one. In my quite rationalised view, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Even now, I'm happy to recommend the Nano to others.

I am not comparing the Nano's 2 engine with a 3 or more cylindered engine. I'm stating that compared to the competition, the Nano is less refined on many parameters. Admittedly, all competition have more cylinders, but as a customer, my concern is and would be only how refined the car is. Most people wouldn't care about the technical solution to a problem rather than the presence or absence of a problem itself. In a competitive industry, you have to benchmark against the closest competition. On certain evaluation parameters, you cannot afford to be significantly inferior than the benchmark; refinement being one of the more important parameters.

Just for reference, apples to apples comparison: The old 3 cylinder F series Suzuki engine vs. the new 3 cylinder K series engine. Except during cold idle the difference in refinement is stunning!

I know that Tata have made efforts to refine the Nano but everytime a Nano passes by on the road and it sounds like an autorickshaw, my heart sinks a bit. The general impression that the Nano is a glorified autorickshaw is ingrained in many people's minds is hard to remove. Many people may be impressed by the spaciousness of the Nano but the questions that are always asked are,"Why is it so noisy?" or "Why does it sound so bad?".

In summary, I have to agree with that marketing guru that the Nano brand is doomed. The negative connotations with the brand are too hard and expensive to turn around. For TML, the only economical solution is to kill the brand and to create a new brand for off-shoots of the Nano.

As for me, I'm planning on keeping my Nano for as long as is economically possible.
Motard_Blr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:41   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

With the improved brake boosters in the 2012 version the Nano has as good braking power as any other hatch. I did take time getting used to the braking, because switching from front discs to all drums meant the brake pedal required a little more than a gentle nudge, but once I got the hang of it, I never found it wanting.

In what way are the brake boosters improved? It's been a while since I've driven a 2012 or newer model and if their braking is significantly better than the pre-2012 models, I might consider having the booster upgraded.
Motard_Blr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:47   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
I am not comparing the Nano's 2 engine with a 3 or more cylindered engine. I'm stating that compared to the competition, the Nano is less refined on many parameters. Admittedly, all competition have more cylinders, but as a customer, my concern is and would be only how refined the car is.
As a potential buyer for my missus, I am not interested in how many cylinders are there under the hood. In fact my wife would not even realize that the engine is actually behind. She can not hear any noises in cars or two-wheelers which I can. She just does not care about these things.

Yes. The 'cheap' image is still somewhere around. But with a budget of 2.5 lacs, this is the only new car I can manage to buy for short city runs. So, indeed it is the cheapest car with front power windows, good AC, and now power steering coming too.

The alternative in her mind is EON but that is pricey.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 12:04   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The alternative in her mind is EON but that is pricey.
Nano has a higher seating position which would give a better view of the road.

On the practical side since the rear hatch doesn't open you are saved from the long searches at malls. God forbid if you don't have a remote boot release you would have to get out of the car and open the boot or switch off the engine and hand over the key to the security guard. With the Nano just a cursory look inside and you are done!
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 12:56   #201
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors launches the New Nano Twist
The New Smart City car with Electric Power Assisted Steering System,
with cool, young & and trendy features

Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?-nanotwist2large.jpg

Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?-nanotwist3large.jpg

Quote:

Key highlights:
  • Relaxed drive in city traffic:
    • A comfortable drive at all road speeds with new ‘Electric Power Assisted Steering’ (EPAS), backed by brushless motor technology and Active Return feature
    • Effortless parking with lowest turning circle radius of 4 metres
  • Stunning design:
    • Exciting new Damson Purple signature colour with luxurious barley beige interiors and chrome accents
    • New gearshift console
    • Sporty interiors
  • Stay connected:
    • New stylish instrument cluster with Trip Computer and Driver Information System
    • Seamless connectivity with Bluetooth for streaming music
    • Remote keyless entry for safety and comfort
Official press release: http://www.tatamotors.com/media/pres...ses.php?id=917

From OverDrive: http://overdrive.in/news/2014-tata-n...-rs-2-36-lakh/

Quote:
Tata Motors have launched the much-awaited power steering variant of the Nano in India. The Tata Nano Twist is available in a single variant, XT, and is priced at Rs 2.3 lakh, ex-Delhi. This price is approximately Rs 14,000 more than the top-end non power-steering version of the Tata Nano. The Twist XT has a ZF-developed brushless motor power steering which also gets its own ECU which is placed under the dashboard
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 12:20   #202
BHPian

Tata Motors has decided to shift the entire focus to lure the young customers to buy The Tata Nano Twist. They will now focus on five key strategies; Focus on Youth, Fresh Repositioning, Communication for a consumer connect, Revamping distribution and reach and changed pricing.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/29015830.cms

This indicates that Tata Motors is not letting things go out of hand and they are committed to ensure that the car turns out to be a market success. Who knows that this turnaround can become a case study at premier business schools in future. It will be very interesting to see the final outcome of Tata's strategies. These strategies, if seen from a different angle help us learn a lot. They do teach us not to give in easily and work hard to find out a way to make a successful brand.

Tata Nano has shown a decline in sales in the Oct-Dec 2013 Quarter by -39.5% and sold only 3755 units which is low from the earlier Jul-Sep 2013 Quarter when it managed to sell 6237 units showing a growth of 57.3% compared to the first quarter of this financial year.

According to Karl Slym (Managing Director, Tata Motors) they want to position Nano as a brand which caters to differing customers with different features.

Last edited by mints21 : 19th January 2014 at 12:23. Reason: Additional Information
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 13:38   #203
BHPian

Can we expect Tata to come out with an exchange offer for the Nano?,I have a Nano LX and I would like to buy a new small beater vehicle.I'd love to buy the Nano Twist again but considering poor resale value it would be nice if Tata would have a exchange scheme option for existing Nano owners.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 14:05   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Can we expect Tata to come out with an exchange offer for the Nano?,I have a Nano LX and I would like to buy a new small beater vehicle.I'd love to buy the Nano Twist again but considering poor resale value it would be nice if Tata would have a exchange scheme option for existing Nano owners.
Considering the heavy discounts that they are forced to give anyway for most of their existing models and the general sentiment in the market, a heavy loyalty bonus could really work in their favour and make Nano Twist a successful model if the existing customers decide to exchange and get a new one, adding up to make respectable sales numbers for the new model.

A few consecutive months of good sales numbers is all it takes for an underrated car to take off.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 07:30   #205
BHPian

I have desisted from making a post on this thread after I had made a couple of them because I thought that I had said whatever I had in mind about the Nano. I insist as a Nano owner that it is a great car and does not deserve the negative publicity that has been given to me. But people will be people and will always have things to say and that I respect. But what I do not is half baked management "gurus" like Jack Trout coming up with statements like kill the brand. Jack Trout as a management scholar is way past his sell by date and I do not think any seriously inclined marketing professional should even consider his opinions.

But the shocker for me has been Ratan Tata coming and saying things like it should not have been marketed as the world's cheapest car. In the marketing of the Nano, Tata has committed many blunders, most of them emanating at the dealer level. Tata's dwindling sales are not because of anything other than a very, very lousy network of dealers (quite a few of them are crooks actually) and instead of addressing that problem to say the positioning of the car is wrong is for me a big, big load of rubbish and surprise, surprise, it comes from the man who is credited with having dreamt of the car in the first place.

The Nano needed to be nurtured properly; instead it was just left in the hands of crooked dealers and look very it is now. I still believe that with proper dealer level initiatives and good after sales service, the car will still sell. The power steering is a good step. A CVT is what it requires now, without pushing the costs up too much. That could just be what the Nano needs.
sadsack is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 10:52   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
But the shocker for me has been Ratan Tata coming and saying things like it should not have been marketed as the world's cheapest car. In the marketing of the Nano, Tata has committed many blunders, most of them emanating at the dealer level. Tata's dwindling sales are not because of anything other than a very, very lousy network of dealers (quite a few of them are crooks actually) and instead of addressing that problem to say the positioning of the car is wrong is for me a big, big load of rubbish and surprise, surprise, it comes from the man who is credited with having dreamt of the car in the first place.

The Nano needed to be nurtured properly; instead it was just left in the hands of crooked dealers and look very it is now. I still believe that with proper dealer level initiatives and good after sales service, the car will still sell. The power steering is a good step. A CVT is what it requires now, without pushing the costs up too much. That could just be what the Nano needs.
If Nano was widely regarded as a perfect car and the sales numbers failed to reach the reasonable levels, I would agree that the dealers should take the blame. In this case, I don't think there was much that the dealers could do, since the damage was done even before the car was launched. When the CEO himself projects it as the cheapest car in the world, there are limits about what the dealers can do.

Probably, Ratan Tata underestimated the ego of an average Indian who he expected to buy his car. An Indian who wants to buy a car for the first time expects to get the satisfaction of joining that elite club of 'car owners' that was always out of his reach. With the over-emphasis on the 'cheap' tag, most of the prospective customers felt that they would not achieve the respect that a car owner gets if they buy a Nano which prevented them from buying a Nano. Most of these first time car buyers use their 2 wheelers on a daily basis and the purpose of purchasing the car is to satisfy that 'status' requirement more than the utility aspect of the product. For these customers, it doesn't matter whether Nano gives an FE of 18 or 25. It is still way lower than the 60-75 that their 100cc bike gives and they cannot substitute it as their daily drive. So most of these people didn't even bother to visit the dealership.

It indirectly helped Maruti Alto sales since it was no longer the cheapest segment and Nano supposedly created a new segment below it. Maruti always knew their customers well and they retained Maruti 800 in their line up for that simple reason - to ensure that all their Alto customers felt that they were buying a premium product, and it has worked perfectly well for them too!
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 12:00   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
If Nano was widely regarded as a perfect car and the sales numbers failed to reach the reasonable levels, I would agree that the dealers should take the blame. In this case, I don't think there was much that the dealers could do, since the damage was done even before the car was launched. When the CEO himself projects it as the cheapest car in the world, there are limits about what the dealers can do.

+1

They always had over hyped Ads. First, they portrayed the nano as the cheapest car available. Then they started comparing the 800, Alto which were at a higher price bracket. They showed how cheaper cars can give the same or better features. Technically, its correct but again the image it portrayed was not correct IMO. Its like the generic mobiles from China which offers hell a lot of features. After that they gave it a facelift and now they are portraying it as a car for young teens. I bet none of my friends, in the 20s would like to have a Nano as their favourite possessions. If at all they do, they are the ones who have a bigger car at home and portray this as a beater. A guy in his 20s would prefer a 2L rupee bike to a 2L rupee car any day. A friend of mine brought a base Alto800 instead of the top of the line Nano. She doesnt mind showing off with the car. Two more friends went in for an alto instead of a Nano just because they thought its image isnt right.

Instead of addvertising the vista for the amount of space and comfort it offered, they had an ad campaign which gave it a sporty image. Pulling drifts and stunts on a vista wont impress the target audience. Instead they could do what Nissan did with the sunny - Showcase what the car is good for. They need to learn a few things soon else they arent heading the right way for sure.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th January 2014 at 12:02.
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 16:10   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Nano Plus, carrying the 1.0L 3-cylinder petrol engine, has been spotted on the Pune-Kolhapur NH4 stretch by the guys at rushlane.com.

Quote:
The sound of it’s engine is completely different as to what you hear of the current Nano with 2 cylinder petrol engine. The new Nano Plus’ engine is smoother and it accelerates much faster. It was easily managing 100 kmph on the highway.
Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?-xtatananopluswith1.0lpetrolenginespyshots1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.bfparidyfh.jpg

Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?-tatananopluswith1.0lpetrolenginespyshots4.jpg

Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?-xtatananopluswith1.0lpetrolenginespyshots7.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rv7rf7pbmx.jpg

SOURCE (more details and more exclusive spy shots) - http://www.rushlane.com/tata-nano-pl...-12103044.html
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 16:56   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Tata Nano Plus, carrying the 1.0L 3-cylinder petrol engine, has been spotted on the Pune-Kolhapur NH4 stretch by the guys at rushlane.com.
Engine seems to have gone to the front now going by the air vents in the front bumper and the lack of vents in the rear bumper for the camouflaged car.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 17:17   #210
BHPian

I dont buy the argument that the cheap tag hurt the brand. What hurt the brand was failure to launch the car as planned, with all the pent up demand, and the disappointments over initial delays.

Do you recall the oohs and aahs when the car was launched? People were queuing up with cash in hand, but the wait let them down. Same will happen to EcoSport I suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Probably, Ratan Tata underestimated the ego of an average Indian who he expected to buy his car. An Indian who wants to buy a car for the first time expects to get the satisfaction of joining that elite club of 'car owners' that was always out of his reach. With the over-emphasis on the 'cheap' tag, most of the prospective customers felt that they would not achieve the respect that a car owner gets if they buy a Nano which prevented them from buying a Nano. Most of these first time car buyers use their 2 wheelers on a daily basis and the purpose of purchasing the car is to satisfy that 'status' requirement more than the utility aspect of the product. For these customers, it doesn't matter whether Nano gives an FE of 18 or 25. It is still way lower than the 60-75 that their 100cc bike gives and they cannot substitute it as their daily drive. So most of these people didn't even bother to visit the dealership.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th January 2014 at 22:33.
Sebring is online now   Reply With Quote