Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th September 2015, 12:42   #286
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?

Tata Nano, first failed to impress the masses and hence did not sell in large numbers.
A lot of reasons were stated by analysts - such as world's cheapest car images, no usable boot space, poor steering, 2 cylinder rear engine causing lot of noise, dangerous for highways etc.
Now that, we all know that, Tata Nano is not going to replace two-wheelers. It is not even going to challenge any A segment hatchbacks. New buyers are straightly moving to B2 hatchbacks or C1 sedans and the A segment Kwid is only going to diminish the Nano sales further.
We have heard rumours such as Nano has plans to introduce turbo petrol, a diesel version, probably a diesel hatchback etc. I say, enough is enough!

Positioning Tata Nano as an A segment hatchback, trying to sell it to the masses has not worked. You have toyed around with this idea for around 6 years and it only created you losses. While majority of us loved the cute design, they skipped the car because, it did not serve their purpose to drive it as a single car.
Reasons?
If I want to own a car, which is going to be my single car - I would want to drive it on highway occasionally, which means, some usable boot space, a reasonable fuel tank, 5 people can be seated with / without comfort.
As a city car, Nano can only be used as a second car.

Given these circumstances, Tata, are you still going to give us the same cheap car, with added accessories alone?
The car's design on paper is cute. Now, make it more robust! Make it pass NCAP tests, by providing a rigid structure, air bags, ABS, etc, all that is relevant for a safe city drive. Scrap the 2 cylinder engine to make way for a new 1.0L turbo petrol engine! And please forget about bringing in a cheap diesel!
That will make the car costly, probably 5+ lakhs, right? Never mind, the customers will pay!
Please realize that majority of your customers are not the people who saved their pennies to buy their dream first car! Such people would any way go for Alto or Eon! The customers you have already own sedans, and Nano is just for toying around for errands inside the city.

So, make Tata Nano a Halo car, increase its quality and price, and sell in small numbers. Forget sales targets for Nano, and concentrate on other cars you have to bring in volumes. You can give Bolt a required sales attention instead, for example!
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 14:09   #287
Senior - BHPian

I for one, do not agree with you. Media has done enough damage to the image of the car by calling it a "lakhtakiya - one lakh car". It is from where, Mr. Tata took it as a challenge and delivered a car at an ex-factory cost of a lakh.

Having said this, no one will buy a Nano for 5 lakhs. I'll tell you the reasons why:
  1. It's a city car and has been designed with that though. This is primarily the 2nd car in the family.
  2. Instead of buying a 2nd hand car, you get an option to buy a new car.
  3. The car is reliable, almost niggle free and is surely made of material that may be better than what is used at other cars in a similar price range.
  4. Resale value of the car is a disaster. You can buy a sparingly run Nano for as cheap as 30,000 INR.
  5. It's now time for Tata to retire the car in 2017 (as they have already announced) and bring in the Pixel/Megapixel.
amtak is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 14:58   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
It's now time for Tata to retire the car in 2017 (as they have already announced) and bring in the Pixel/Megapixel.
Thanks for the information!
So, Tata already having some exit plans for Nano is a good sign that Tata wants to come out of the fiasco.
Our Government has some plans to make the safety norms strict by 2017. This could be the reasons for keeping the timeline as 2017.
Keeping the car, as the lowest priced car in India, and still trying to meet all safety norms will not be possible.
Tata may not introduce Pixel here, but the upcoming Pelican (towards the end of 2016) may be based on Nano platform. Here Tata should deliberately let someone else take the lowest priced car credentials (Alto or Kwid) and concentrate on making the car robust.
hybridpetrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 15:27   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Thanks for the information!
So, Tata already having some exit plans for Nano is a good sign that Tata wants to come out of the fiasco.
Our Government has some plans to make the safety norms strict by 2017. This could be the reasons for keeping the timeline as 2017.
Keeping the car, as the lowest priced car in India, and still trying to meet all safety norms will not be possible.
Tata may not introduce Pixel here, but the upcoming Pelican (towards the end of 2016) may be based on Nano platform. Here Tata should deliberately let someone else take the lowest priced car credentials (Alto or Kwid) and concentrate on making the car robust.
Don't agree with the exit plans. The Nano AMT is in huge demand now. I think it is the perfect quality city car. I think its positioning which matters now. Again they are advertising as the " cheapest automatic ". This is a blunder by Tata again. Remove the Cheap tag. call it the smart city car which it really is. It can run on the highway too occasionally. Now as far as meeting safety norms, I guess you don't need ABS, ESP, EBD etc in a city car. Yes adding disc brakes would help. All they need to do now is advertise the pain one undergoes while changing gear and clutch in city traffic, project the quality of the car and see the sales figure zoom !!

ofcourse, they have to find a way to overcome the AMT shortage from Magnetti Marelli by arm twisting Maruti, who are strategically playing to ensure it does not run away with success !!
power ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 15:42   #290
BHPian

I had gone to the Concorde showroom yesterday to test drive the Nano automatic. the sales person told me that there is a waiting period for the Nano AMT of 10-12 weeks!

feels good to see that a Tata car has a waiting period and that too for a Nano.
srj1266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 15:48   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever happened to the plans of introducing the Nano as taxis. I had read about one such venture down south but havent seen anything of the sort in NCR. They may not be able to do airport or railway station runs with a lot of luggage and passengers but will be extremely comfortale and nimble for intracity travel for a wide base of customers. Companies like Uber and Ola might benefit from creating a new cheaper cab category and offer Nanos in that. They can even suffice for a single or 2 passenger travelling with luggage (not more) .

Last edited by drmohitg : 28th September 2015 at 15:49.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 15:51   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Don't agree with the exit plans. The Nano AMT is in huge demand now.
Is it??
The volumes come in great numbers, because of the sales in Tier-2, Tier-3 cities, towns and villages. If you think about it, people who actually need a city car, live in metros and some congested tier-1, tier-2 cities. So, the population, that actually needs a city only car is comparatively low.
So, a city-only automatic car actually caters to a niche customers - People who live in metros, already have cars, need city only cars at cheap price.
Due to this, the Nano AMT may be a huge demand in certain cities like Bangalore, but it cannot bring in volumes that Tata expects.

That is the reason I told, Nano, as a poor man's car idea can be put to rest, and may be introduced with nice engine, good structural rigidity & safety features, and some niceties that metro buyers would want.

I guess, people would actually appreciate, if their second car also is as good as their first car, when it comes to safety and equipment.
Old 28th September 2015, 17:30   #293
BHPian

Well, nice engine etc but coming from Tata people would want it at 2 lakhs with even air bags or even better give it free of cost. Even then, people will complain about Tata service
Coming to the point people have sold on to the kwid idea which comes to 4.5 lakhs on road in Bangalore if you want ac and power windows. But 3.6 for nano with amt is unacceptable, very unfair. I don't think kwid exceeds safety standards. Foreign brand with touch screen is enough for our janta
power ranger is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 17:33   #294
BHPian

If tata can bring in ABS and airbags into nano with some good crash certification, then the general mindset of people will change for sure. As of now people relate nano's low pricing to less safety.
msk_kapoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 18:18   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Well, nice engine etc but coming from Tata people would want it at 2 lakhs with even air bags or even better give it free of cost. Even then, people will complain about Tata service
Coming to the point people have sold on to the kwid idea which comes to 4.5 lakhs on road in Bangalore if you want ac and power windows. But 3.6 for nano with amt is unacceptable, very unfair. I don't think kwid exceeds safety standards. Foreign brand with touch screen is enough for our janta
Do not forget the initial response indica and even nano received. Nano couldn't capitalize on the demand due to the factory problems but by then too much of negativity surrounded the product.
I believe the kwid also wont shake anything due to low need for A segment cars in metros and Renault's absence of brand image elsewhere. Nobody has seen the car in the showroom yet. The response it receives now is of any car after some terrific pricing. If you remember Nano received a hundred times more hype than this around its launch.
Old 28th September 2015, 19:50   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
If tata can bring in ABS and airbags into nano with some good crash certification, then the general mindset of people will change for sure. As of now people relate nano's low pricing to less safety.
Am not sure then how maruti sell their legendary less safe cars !! Any Tata car in its own segment is safer than cars from competitors in the same segment. I can vouch for this after driving 1.5 lac kms in Tata cars. That said, main problem is with public about Tata. My friend who works in my company is looking for a car for around 10 lakhs. I suggested zest amt diesel or figo aspire. He blatantly refused to even look at zest. So sometime who is in IT and supposed to be intellectual is eliminating a choice without even looking. He says Tata cars are taxis. What weird logic from an educated person !! I told him when I landed in Germany my first taxi was a merc !! He didn't have any convincing answer. The fact is no one wants to give Tata a chance but I can proudly tell you that their cars are fundamentally well engineered for that segment. Period .
power ranger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 21:34   #297
BHPian

I think the problem that tata has in the a.s.s department. If their servicing is decent then people would not mind the minor niggles or problems. But tata is known for their third grade subpar service departments. Turns a lot of folks off. They have to improve this aspect.
deltheking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 22:20   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure then how maruti sell their legendary less safe cars !! Any Tata car in its own segment is safer than cars from competitors in the same segment. I can vouch for this after driving 1.5 lac kms in Tata cars. That said, main problem is with public about Tata. My friend who works in my company is looking for a car for around 10 lakhs. I suggested zest amt diesel or figo aspire. He blatantly refused to even look at zest. So sometime who is in IT and supposed to be intellectual is eliminating a choice without even looking. He says Tata cars are taxis. What weird logic from an educated person !! I told him when I landed in Germany my first taxi was a merc !! He didn't have any convincing answer. The fact is no one wants to give Tata a chance but I can proudly tell you that their cars are fundamentally well engineered for that segment. Period .
Yes i had an indica V2 for 10 years and 90000kms without any issues. I was using it as my first car in initial five years and it became by city car in its last five. When the time came to replace it with another city car i opted for Nano Amt and i was forced away from it by all my family and i didnt have an option and moved to Hyundai eon. I would have convinced my family if it had abs and airbags.

Still i am ok as my preference was accepted when i opted for linea as my primary car. Also i already had them convinced for storme and am just waiting for Hexa before taking a leap.
msk_kapoor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 10:39   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Completely agree with you. People just do not want to look at a Tata car. What is more surprising is that when i ask them if they have seen the Zest in the showroom, they say that they havent seen it, but since its a Tata car it must not be good!! How can people judge a car without even having a look at it?
srj1266 is offline   Reply With Quote