Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th November 2013, 20:37   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?

A new quote from international branding guru Jack Trout " Tata Nano is hard to save, I'd kill it."
He analyses that Tata Motors has bungled with the positioning of the Nano and the company should phase it out.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/25720932.cms

(Economic Times dated 14/11/2013 )
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 21:39   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A new quote from international branding guru Jack Trout " Tata Nano is hard to save, I'd kill it."
He analyses that Tata Motors has bungled with the positioning of the Nano and the company should phase it out.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/25720932.cms

(Economic Times dated 14/11/2013 )
I think it is indeed an issue, but if they reskin it and position it well to suit the needs of a city commuting population, for example if TATA were to open a swipe and drive kind of operation, it would catch on. But, even if Mr. Trout said it, there is nothing stopping TATA for exporting this to other smaller economies. For instance, why can't they sell it in Bangladesh or Nepal or Tanzania, etc.
BurningHeart is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 21:50   #123
Senior - BHPian

The Nano needs a CVT, a CVT Nano would become the darling of the ladies and elders buying cars, it would be a boon in the city and yes, Tata has to do something about the power steering. Both these could give a fresh lease of life to the Nano. It will be sad to see the Nano being put down by Tata
TheARUN is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 22:31   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

The Nano should've been built to a purpose (city car targeted at the young crowd and people who need an alternative city runabout). Indians are cost-conscious, but their prestige-consciousness trumps theirs cost-consciousness. The 'cheap car' tag was the fatal flaw.

The average bike commuter that Tata were targeting was never going to bring the kind of numbers they were hoping, for various reasons.

The idea is still good, but they need to go back to the drawing board and revamp the whole thing. Like someone said above, Tata need to realize that their target market will be predominantly urban, and the Nano currently lacks features to attract them.

I personally know at least 3 people who think Nano is perfect for them, only the lack of PS and some features makes them look at alternatives.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th November 2013 at 22:32.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 11:17   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I think it is indeed an issue, but if they reskin it and position it well to suit the needs of a city commuting population, for example if TATA were to open a swipe and drive kind of operation, it would catch on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The Nano needs a CVT, a CVT Nano would become the darling of the ladies and elders buying cars, it would be a boon in the city and yes, Tata has to do something about the power steering. Both these could give a fresh lease of life to the Nano. It will be sad to see the Nano being put down by Tata
I completely concur with both your views. A makeover with a smart new skin under a new name, power steering and CVT/AT and I think the fortunes will pick up. But I wonder what the pricing impact would be.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 12:16   #126
BHPian

I think, instead of killing the brand, they could slowly evolve it into a smart car for the city. This could include, a bigger engine, maybe even an automatic transmission. They should slowly untie itself from the "cheap" image it forcefully created and compete with the alto and i10's.

This could be a segment below the indica range.
jack7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 14:24   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I completely concur with both your views. A makeover with a smart new skin under a new name, power steering and CVT/AT and I think the fortunes will pick up. But I wonder what the pricing impact would be.
If it is priced less than 3 lakhs with PS + CVT/AT- I would buy one. Should be an excellent city car.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 19:25   #128
Senior - BHPian

I would also be tempted to nudge my daughter to buy one. But... the price here for the top variant is 2.34 lacs according to their website - the on road price obviously would take it to the 2.5 lac mark. So the addition of 2 major goodies - power steering and AT would take it beyond 3 lacs I would imagine.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 20:14   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I would also be tempted to nudge my daughter to buy one. But... the price here for the top variant is 2.34 lacs according to their website - the on road price obviously would take it to the 2.5 lac mark. So the addition of 2 major goodies - power steering and AT would take it beyond 3 lacs I would imagine.
Well, the cheap tag hasn't worked, primarily because the actual product isn't significantly cheaper compared to other entry-level options.

They might as well add the goodies (PS, auto-transmission etc.) and try re-positioning it as a smart and affordable (not cheap) city car. I believe they'll find many more takers that way (me included). Or they can always take the easier way out and kill the brand as suggested.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 20:43   #130
BHPian

Heard on radio - 4years warranty, 3 years insurance, 3 years maintenance, 1 year of petrol - FREE.
Boy, are they making so much profit to give away these + dealer margin + manufacturer margin!!!

Makes me wonder, how is it possible
harishpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 22:32   #131
BHPian

Hi harishpr
this is my understanding on the advt,
4 years warranty -> IIRC,this was already there. Even my bro's friend when he got nano 1 yr back had this. Its for either 4yrs or 60K KMS.
3 yr insurance -> two weeks back, Myself and my bro went to concorde motors to check the indigo eCS and looks like this 3yr insurance for Re.1 is now offered almost for nano,indica,vista,indigo,manza. This is based on some terms and conditions which the insurance company will let you know if you decide to go for that
3 year AMC --> I believe its for 2 years or 30K KMS. With respect to nano's mechanicals I don't think apart from usual consumables and fluids topups you might not end up replacing anything. This is what my bro's friend mentioned with respect to his nano's ownership.
1 year of free petrol -> This is if i am correct, 20K worth fuel. Probably they will provide you the vouchers for the same.
If you ask for additional discounts, they now use the free petrol as the catalyst to avoid it. So ideally I think they are not providing anything new apart from the free petrol.
On the other note, when i sat inside the 2013 nano, it looks better in terms of look and feel, is what I felt.

Last edited by Balaji31582 : 15th November 2013 at 22:34.
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 16:56   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
On the other note, when i sat inside the 2013 nano, it looks better in terms of look and feel, is what I felt.
Quite. The interiors no longer look cheap or low rent, and are equal to the external looks.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 17:34   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
For instance, why can't they sell it in Bangladesh or Nepal or Tanzania, etc.
Last year I had been to Sri Lanka and they have Nano taxis in the city. Most of the drivers I spoke didn't like the vehicle due to high cost of maintenance, non availability of spares & overall poor reliability.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 22:10   #134
BHPian

The Tata NANO lost its plot, trying to sell as the world's cheapest car. No doubt the quality isn't upto the mark, but considering the price point I guess that's as far as any manufacturer could have gone with it's first attempt with such a car.
'The cheapest car' publicity might have gone against the Tata, however i believe all is not lost yet.
If Tata could provide something now with better quality, openable boot, probably bigger wheels and a bit of an improvement in the performance and also cycle parts, packaged into a design on the lines of 'Europa' concept they had, might drive up the sales. Also they might rather also use their advertising prowess (Remember the Safari ads?) to better position the car.
Also just because the car holds the cheapest car tag wouldn't ensure that it would sell like hot cakes. The Indian market is a bit matured than that now, which is the best selling car now in India, the SWIFT D'zire which costs more than thrice the cost of a Nano.
TATA might do itself some good if they realised this and position the car as a second car, probably a car for the choc-a-bloc weekday traffic, the collegian, housewives, etc.
Expecting a car to sell in millions just because it is cheaper than the cheapest isn't the correct mindset. Also, why doesn't Tata foray into matured markets where consumers are just not bothered about the price tags.
Well, i have seen more REVA's in London than i have ever seen in India, off-course it saves on the congestion taxes, but wouldn't Nano too with it's ultra low emissions.
To round-off, its not the car itself which has gone wrong i would believe, but its manufacturer.
srs_shetty87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 19:28   #135
Senior - BHPian

News Flash. Mr. Ratan Tata comes out and accepts what has been talked about a lot.

"Marketing Nano as the cheapest car was a mistake"

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/26588240.cms
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote