Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd July 2013, 19:29   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: If I could only own ONE car...

For the roads present in our country, it would have to be the BMW X3 30d diesel for me. Reasonable size, stonking engine and decent back seat space.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:45   #62

My ideal do-it-all car would be a large hatchback design that is convenient as a self-driven daily driver (read preferably automatic), has decent ride quality, and with good poke, stability and room (no Ecosport for me please, no offense to anyone) for the occasional road trip. By that yardstick, I think the Countryman S best fits the bill. It might suffer a bit on the ride quality, but I don't see anything else coming close. The A-class is too underpowered to be taken seriously, even with its snob value and glitz.
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:48   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
The M3 is damn near perfect, but it's a 90% car! It manages to cope with 90% of our stuff.
Thats why I'm waiting till the F30 M3 comes out before i vote in this thread.

I truly hate to say this, but if i was forced to buy a car today (whilst keeping my life the same), auto-gearbox and ride quality would be awfully high on my requirements list.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
My ideal do-it-all car would be a large hatchback design that is convenient as a self-driven daily driver (read preferably automatic), has decent ride quality, and with good poke, stability and room (no Ecosport for me please, no offense to anyone) for the occasional road trip. By that yardstick, I think the Countryman S best fits the bill. It might suffer a bit on the ride quality, but I don't see anything else coming close. The A-class is too underpowered to be taken seriously, even with its snob value and glitz.
Agreed 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thats why I'm waiting till the F30 M3 comes out before i vote in this thread.

I truly hate to say this, but if i was forced to buy a car today (whilst keeping my life the same), auto-gearbox and ride quality would be awfully high on my requirements list.

cya
R
Again, I agree completely! We're all getting old man!
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 20:13   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
For me it's the AC!

Anyway, tough question. Should I go for the 'best' city car (where I'll be spending most of my time, or the 'best' highway car (in which I'll clock up most of my miles).

I think I'll stick to a multi car garage!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:45   #66
BHPian

It has to be A Class for the following reasons:

Hatchback and quite a big one at that
Diesel
Has all the bells and whistles
Not too heavy on the pocket either
Smashing looks.
speedfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:53   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Staying within the confines of my budget I would most certainly pick a D segment german sedan, most likely the Jetta. Offers me all the space I may need, excellent to drive, great looks and the european built and at the same time is neither too big for those small by-lanes and small parking spots.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:18   #68
BHPian

Mercedes ML530 CDI in white for me please...
with a five year maintenance package , extended warrenty and star agility program with buy back option...
fuelinmyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:50   #69
BHPian

If I could ONLY own ONE car for life.... its gotta be the M.....5 that is.

911 also came to mind, but for a second off to the 100 and a few horses less, this beauty with its real world practicality and to-die-for race track dynamics, would be my pick..

Name:  Lights.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  12.5 KB

..and guess what? She can carry the whole family along!!

Last edited by CareFreeKid : 2nd July 2013 at 23:53.
CareFreeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:06   #70
BHPian

Difficult choice in some respects. But if this has to be a car with which one has to live with forever after, maintain, repair, wash, polish, drive everywhere and enjoy then the choice becomes a little easier.

Anything which relies on a myriad of sensors and computers communicating within the vibrating, dusty, sometimes very hot, sometimes very cold, often damp confines of a motor vehicle has to be written out on the basis that a breakdown can occur with no warning, no fast repair (assuming early-21st century circuit-boards and sensors are still available 40 years hence) and undue complexity.

Anything which is mechanically fragile and cannot last more than 250,000 miles without major overhaul has to be ruled out - I would want to enjoy using the car, not forever have it on the garage ramps. So much as it hurts, I have to rule out classic Alfa-Romeos, some of the most lovely motor cars ever made, in my opinion.

Impractical cars like supercars and those which struggle to go further than 20 miles on a gallon of fuel, which cannot drive over a speed hump let alone through a narrow gap, which fit only two people and have little carrying capacity make little sense in the real world. You may have a lot of money now, but money is transient. Even if you have saved enough to be a rich man for your whole life, banks and stock-markets can collapse. Vast areas can can be damaged by war, natural disaster and nuclear catastrophe, so property isn't totally safe, as many would like to believe. A car has to be reasonably affordable.

If a recent design, it must be clear it will have a large and dedicated number of followers and users in 40 years' time. If not, it will be useless. So it must be such a fine piece of design many will always wish to have one. It makes judging anything less than a dozen years old very difficult.

To be able to live with a car for so long, it must either be of no interest - in which case you will see it as purely a tool - or of unending interest. As a petrol-head, it is difficult if not impossible to live with a boring car for a day, let alone a lifetime.

It cannot be so fast or uncomfortable that journeys become a pain, either in the back or because you are constantly frustrated at being able to use so little of the engine's power. It is more fun to be travelling with your right foot pressed to the floor than being held up by dawdlers.

I would enjoy an original Mini - they handle like a go-cart and have the ability to be loved, like all great small cars. But longer journeys are a little uncomfortable and luggage space is mini-mal. A Mercedes SL from the late 80s and early 90s - the R129 class - is highly practical for its type and is based around the W124 saloon. The predecessor, the R107 is even more elegant. Qualities of manufacture last a lot longer than the initial steep purchase price. I would be happy with either of these two cars. The CitroŽn SM has beautiful design through to the very heart of its mechanical systems, is fast, devastatingly elegant and unlike the two Mercedes I mention, very rare, although based on the sub-structure of the 1.3million DS. A little too-well tailored to long, very fast journeys at the expense of everyday use.

At the other end of the classic CitroŽn spectrum is the iconic 2cv which became a legend in its own lifetime - how many cars can you say that of? A turbine-smooth horizontally opposed engine which owes more to racing practice than mundane production car engine, go-anywhere ability both geographically and socially, roll-back roof, easy repairs, high economy and the less-is-more feeling which the French seem to have lost. But no matter how good the engine, 602cc and 29bhp can only propel you fast. It is a minor miracle this wartime design can maintain 60-70mph all day long. The opposite of this car's abilities would be the Audi Quattro. Small inside, very powerful engine, old-fashioned engineering, as fast as a rally car - but like the 2cv it is iconic and oozes style and desirability. It would make a good long-term partner.

Instead, I choose something slower on paper, but not at all slow. It owed more to aircraft design techniques than the crudities of motor car manufacturing, with the exception of its engine which was a carry-over from its famous predecessor. The company ran out of money developing the rest of the car to finalise its flat-six motor - it was just ten years after the end of World War 2, which had devasted its country of origin. One of the world's most famous and erudite motoring journalists, LJKSetright said this of the car:

"France.. created a car, a production car meant for the ordinary man in the street, sublimely endowed with such complexities of execution and refinement of conception as made the bristling technology of the racing Mercedes-Benz appear merely the laborious handicraft of gifted mechanics. The CitroŽn DS was an engineer's car, the thinking man's car, far and away the most modern car in the world, not only in 1955 ... until another even cleverer CitroŽn should emerge from the closeted brains of that most uncompromisingly logical of design teams.

.. flat six engine.. It should have acquired active suspension before it gave way to the CX. These things, though readied, were just too much for the firm's resources, alas; but it was more than enough that the original DS already had powered high-pressure hydraulcis to serve the brakes, the steering, the clutch, the gearchange and the self-levelling suspension. It also had perfectly-progressive nitrogen springing, disc front brakes (CitroŽn's own), automatic load-sensitive lock-inhibition for the rear brakes, Michelin X radial-ply tyres, a detachable roof of resin-bonded glassfibre, front-wheel drive stability and a drag coefficient rivalling that of the little Porsche coupe.

No car had ever been cleverer. No car was ever braver. The DS should have inspired the world to embark on a new course of motor engineering, to accept and advance the new standards CitroŽn had set. All it did was to gratify the desires of 1.3 million people, to stimulate a lot of arguments, to expose a great deal of ignorance, and to stand as a lasting reproach to the rest of the industry whenever we compared what they were making with what, on the evidence of the DS, they should have been making. If it achieved no more than that, it was not the fault of CitroŽn, it was the fault of everyone else."
from 'Drive On - A Social History of the Motor Car'.

There aren't many cars I haven't drive this side of a Bugatti Veyron or Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost - and a DS always impresses with it massive depths of qualities, no small amount of genius and inperturbable day-to-day driveability whether at 200kph or crawling through heavy traffic. Its roadholding and comfort have to be sampled to be believed - as has the complex, alluring and enigmatic styling. There are few cars which find themselves amid priceless collections of supercars yet which plied the streets of a European capital as a taxi.
Attached Images

Last edited by FlatOut : 3rd July 2013 at 00:29.
FlatOut is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:09   #71
MHG
BHPian

I'd wait out the BMW 1-series launch and get myself the sportiest diesel on offer. But if I wasn't allowed to wait it'd be the Mini Countryman Diesel.
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:53   #72
BHPian

A Nissan GT- R. Speed, agility and good looks.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 06:02   #73
BHPian

I love the Volvo SUV and would like to own it one day.... I like it for its safety features and also that it is a very practical car.

Though I need the space of the XC 90 but with the updated looks of the cross country....
Attached Thumbnails
If I could only own ONE car...-xc90_exterior_02.jpg  

kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:39   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Here's the situation, hypothetical though it may be...

The car must be offered for sale in India officially.
Interesting to see the Evoque as an option listed by many

If I have to choose that one car, the immediate answer would be a regular BMW 328i.

But since it is supposed to be the only car in the household, I probably would look at a more practical option for the narrow and not-so-perfect roads in Kerala. From the current lot on sale in India, the choice would be a VW Jetta Highline AT.

Reasons:
1) Right size and neutral looks
2) Decent engine with 140bhp
3) High on safety (6 airbags, ESP etc.)
4) Spacious enough to seat 5
5) Convenience of DSG AT (with paddle shifts)
6) And lastly, proximity to the Authorised Service Centre.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:33   #75
BHPian

The dream is to own a Porsche Cayanne Turbo S!

The agility of a Porsche & at the same time it gobbles up the broken Indian roads with panache. I also dont like sitting low and so its a perfect choice to me.

Last edited by urajkumar : 3rd July 2013 at 10:47.
urajkumar is online now   Reply With Quote