Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd July 2013, 13:44   #61

Default Re: Opinions about Maruti's Driving School :

Hi Neel,

I am currently taking the MDS class at Pratham in Bangalore. There is no simulator test. It is just a tool to teach you the basics like the ABC controls, handbrakes, driving on the road in situations etc before you get into an actual car. It might be basic but today I was sitting there for a while waiting for the main showroom guy to come to make a payment and I heard at least two people make mistakes on the simulator and the instructor teaching them what went wrong, so obviously it is teaching some people with lesser skills something. The simulator is a program by Faros and the controls are from an Alto it looked like, so the speedometer will actually move and lights on the dash will actually come on etc.

The classes are well structured, the theory teaches you some very useful things including how things work under the hood, what to do in case of various emergencies and the practical classes cover different aspects in every class eg uphill/downhill moving in one class, three types of parking in another and so on.

Overall I found the classes good, mostly done off road in quiet roads with light traffic, which I found helps in mastering technique though it does nothing for road confidence especially with Bangalore traffic. But I prefer this. I'd rather be technique perfect first. Course instruction varied depending on the instructor and his capability to express himself. So naturally I ended up having favourites and hoping they were there for key classes. They used their pedals only in emergency or to be emergency situations and let you make your own mistakes, when its safe of course with no other vehicles near you.

The one oversight I found is that most of the cars are diesel and the basic skill of clutch control and moving off is very different in a diesel since you just release the clutch without gas and it moves peacefully. I have only stalled when actively experimenting with the clutch to see how far I could go without at low speed without stalling. However, I promptly stalled and kangaroo hopped the first time I went in an Alto when the Ritz was not available one day. The instructor's expression was priceless. However no one really taught me the difference in moving off in a diesel vs a petrol and I had to search online today after I tried a test drive of a Wagon R and could not even move out of the driveway Then I researched online and figured out that diesels and petrols actually have different moving procedures especially for a beginner who hasn't mastered the balancing act of clutch/gas yet. So I've learnt how to drive a diesel but not really learnt how to move off in a regular petrol.

Except this one glaring goof, I found them pleasant and a good experience. I will be taking this up at a higher level at the school to make sure instructors bring it to the notice of future students at least. The simulator runs like a petrol one, you gotta set the gas and then biting point on the clutch else I kept stalling.

Regards
stevieboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:37   #62
BHPian

My wife is getting her classes now in Pratham motors Bangalore. I agree with Steviboy on most of his observations. Only complaint I have is that we dont get to choose the instructors. We being non Kannada speaking, this has caused delays on many daysl waiting for an English speaking tutor. There are significant skill/style differences between instructors. Sticking to one particular slot every day also wont guarantee same instructor. Changing instructors on a daily basis ( even though each days' classes lessons are planned early) makes her loose continuity.

Our experience with getting the learners DL was good, MDS took care of everything. MDS calls every evening to confirm next day's schedule. Staff is overall well behaved.
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:48   #63

Hi Arjithin,

The different instructors is by design and mentioned in the progress book they give you or was it the leaflet? This is so you learn different things from different instructors. Possibly also you're not stuck with someone you're not compatible with.

I'm non Kannada speaking too and all the instructors speak English too. Which Pratham is your wife learning at? I'm at the Bellandur Outer Ring Road one.

Regards
stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 09:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy View Post
Hi Arjithin,

The different instructors is by design and mentioned in the progress book they give you or was it the leaflet? This is so you learn different things from different instructors. Possibly also you're not stuck with someone you're not compatible with.

I'm non Kannada speaking too and all the instructors speak English too. Which Pratham is your wife learning at? I'm at the Bellandur Outer Ring Road one.

Regards
My wife goes to HSR Pratham. The demerit of multiple instructors is lack of continuity. Not every candidate will learn every technique as per the plan and within the one hr allotted time. If the same instructor continues, then there is a better chances of finishing what is to be learnt. My wife was given 4 different techniques by 3 different instructors for a specific topic, and finally she ended up not mastering any !!!
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 09:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
My wife goes to HSR Pratham. The demerit of multiple instructors is lack of continuity. Not every candidate will learn every technique as per the plan and within the one hr allotted time. If the same instructor continues, then there is a better chances of finishing what is to be learnt. My wife was given 4 different techniques by 3 different instructors for a specific topic, and finally she ended up not mastering any !!!
i would not recommend pratham motors HSR to anyone , our experience has been pretty ordinary .They function just like any other local driving school, not worth the the premium fee they are charging .They do not even have a proper feedback system.So people in HSR can probably save some money and go to a regular driving school or try MDS at other locations.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 12:45   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

By HSR Pratham you are saying about the Pratham near Bellandur Opp to Eco space or is it that Pratham motors driving school is located seperately at HSR?
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 13:45   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
By HSR Pratham you are saying about the Pratham near Bellandur Opp to Eco space or is it that Pratham motors driving school is located seperately at HSR?
iam talking about the one located inside HSR layout sector 2 . On the same road as MK Ahmad and MK retail.
ms001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 18:03   #68
BHPian

Any reviews on the new MDS in Bimal Bannerghatta road?
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 12:37   #69
MHG
BHPian

I'd like to know how RNS Motors (Yeshwanthpur) fares with their Maruti Driving School.
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 10:21   #70
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My Girlfriend wants to start driving a manual car, shes currently drives an Automatic, rarely.

I dont want her to go to the regular motor training, she needs someone who can teach her awareness on the road and judgement to name a few.

Basically, i want her to drive like all of us out here on this forum. Looking for help somewhere in Juhu, Mumbai.

I would teach her myself but i dont have the luxury of time at the moment.

Help
Sameer_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 00:00   #71
BHPian

Let me share my experience with Maruti Driving School and also describe how I think it is different from local driving schools.

I enrolled for the Alto course. It had power steering and ran on diesel. If I can recollect correctly, the instructor told me if I opted for a Swift I would get the feel of a heavier car, barring which there would be no difference as far as learning is concerned. During the course I dealt with only two instructors, and was assigned one depending on their availability. Due to other commitments, I could only manage weekend mornings for my driving lessons, and also MDS was a good 45 mins from my home.

There were 4 theory classes. The first one was organized on day one to get me accustomed to the ABC controls and general understanding of the mechanical. But my engineering mind wanted more, asked them about pistons, clutch mechanism, horsepower, torque and other basic stuff, which they normally would have avoided. I must say they answered the queries to my satisfaction. The rest of the 3 classes were held after I completed my practicals, and explained road signs and general traffic rules. There was also a demo to familiarize me with what's under the bonnet, hand and foot controls.

After the 1st theory and demo there were 5 classes on simulators. Now that I look back, those classes does seem to be redundant, but from a beginners point of view it did help me come in terms of the ABC controls and get a feel of the steering wheel. The advantage of these simulations is that you will have a slightly better idea of the road (Who am I kidding, no one can simulate Indian roads ), but more importantly it reduces the time you would have taken to get accustomed with the actual car. What it meant, I was able to take full control of the actual car from the 3rd or 4th day onwards, the instructor just had to keep an eye out for my occasional mishap.

There were 10 practical classes. Every day I signed a chart listing which specific driving skill I were to be taught on a particular day. I am damn sure that they didn't follow them, because there were days that I signed on one thing and learned something different. And then there was was the last day of my practicals, the instructor conveniently left out parallel and perpendicular parking, and when confronted gave all sorts of excuses. Later he did teach me those skills on an open parking space.

Now coming to the difference with local motor training schools.

The instructors in the local institutes don't bother if you learn or not, it is as simple as that. They won't be able answer any mechanical related questions, I once asked what is biting point, and that guy's expression was like, What the hell is that!!!!
In local schools you will very rarely get the chance to drive the car with full control in your hands. The instructor just wont let you. Especially the brakes, they have a special affection towards the brakes, whenever you look at your brakes they are always pressed down, only God knows how one can properly learn to drive a car like this.

I would strongly recommend MDS to any learner looking to become a responsible driver.
Apple Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 16:45   #72
BHPian

^^
could you please specify the city and dealer name.
And also as far as i know there is no alto with diesel engine can you clarify
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 19:03   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
^^
could you please specify the city and dealer name.
I took the MDS learner's course at Mohan Motor Udyog, Kolkata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
And also as far as i know there is no alto with diesel engine can you clarify
My mistake, it was a petrol car

The thing is, the clutch release action in 1st gear that they taught in their Alto is similar to the one I use for diesel cars but don't exercise for the petrol cars I drive, as a result got a little confused.
Apple Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 13:04   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post
.. experience with Maruti Driving School ..

During the course I dealt with only two instructors, and was assigned one depending on their availability.
Wife's just joined the course at MDS here in Bangalore. While the quality is better, all instructors theory or for the simulator, are the same. Nothing surprising about this, though. Some good instructors, with a couple of not-so-interested ones at this unit.

But coming to the practical sessions, it looks like they dont seem to have a fixed schedule as to who will manage each session / particular student. It's only after the student reaches there, that they then start discussing who it will be. And in this process, they waste about 10 minutes. Same case even if one goes a few minutes early ..

But each session closes on the dot !!

So far, it looks like like MDS is better of the driving schools, though a little more consistency is required.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 08:26   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There was also a demo to familiarize me with what's under the bonnet, hand and foot controls.
Liked this point. They teach us to keep a check on the daily requirements to do before setting if off, that is missed in the local driving schools. This is another difference.

Quote:
The advantage of these simulations is that you will have a slightly better idea of the road but more importantly it reduces the time you would have taken to get accustomed with the actual car. What it meant, I was able to take full control of the actual car from the 3rd or 4th day onwards
+1. Saves precious time and helps the driver learn better to co-relate in real time rather than fighting with basics from first day. This is a other difference.

Quote:
The instructors in the local institutes don't bother if you learn or not, it is as simple as that. They won't be able answer any mechanical related questions, I once asked what is biting point, and that guy's expression was like, What the hell is that!
Lol. Once the advance and money is paid you are even looked on to properly and follow up how he is learning. Just need to complete the number of classes and finished.

Quote:
In local schools you will very rarely get the chance to drive the car with full control in your hands. The instructor just wont let you.
They are too worried about an accident if fully handed over so on a word of caution they keep their foot on the brake pedal.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 12th May 2014 at 08:27.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote