Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th July 2013, 12:10   #91
BHPian

Default Re: June 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Can you give examples of some of the intangibles which the Europeans focus on?
just a guess: Performance and Handling, as opposed to VFM and reliability ?!

there are of course exceptions
Old 11th July 2013, 12:12   #92

Quote:
I would say:

- Various sounds your car, doors and engine make
- Steering feel and sturdy response
- Interior quality and ambiance
- Noise insulation
- Sheet metal quality and strength

Difficult to measure in absolutes, but easier to perceive. I'm talking from my Fiat ownership experience, after owning a Suzuki in the past and a Toyota now. I've also driven Hyundai extensively (friends' cars), but the Fiat driving experience has so far been unparallelled
King_K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 12:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, can someone tell me how many Force Gurkha's (2WD or 4WD ) are selling per month? Would be interesting to know.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 12:35   #94
BHPian

From my experience with with Vento, something as simple as power windows switch remaining on for a few seconds when you power down your car. Or AC not starting up as soon as the car enters ignition (allows you to start your car before the AC starts). Or Boot-lids that refuse to open if your car is in motion. I can go on, but you get the picture These little touches gives you the impression that the engineers have thought well before putting the package together. I have heard similar feedback (well put together package, that is) for other European cars.
And of course , European cars are generally good handlers, and good performers, as many has already pointed out.
Quote:

Last edited by allajunaki : 11th July 2013 at 12:40.
allajunaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 12:35   #95

Great Job and Thank you for sharing the details parrys

Now going through all the information here are my two cents:

1. The biggest arrival of the month, the Ecosport has only managed some 4k copies to be shipped and is the biggest shocker though I feel the numbers for July will tell the real story if the Ecosport will be a blockbuster or not for Ford. However there does seem some cannibalization in the product line with Figo loosing close to 900 customer month on month basis.

2. As sale of Sail is on hold due to product defects it seems to be in terrible shape as compared to its previous numbers.

3. The Amaze craze seems to have simmered down a bit with Honda selling 5k copies as compared to 6k the previous month.

4. Hyundai should be worrying looking at the month-on-month i20 sales, as these seem to be decreasing consistently. I wonder why though?

5. However the same is the case with all top selling products in the Mahindra stable. Mahindra need to take heed of this and do something about this at the earliest, otherwise it may just be a little too late for the Indian SUV leader.

6. Business as usual for Maruti with Alto, Swift and Dzire in the usual 1, 2 and 3 ranking for car sales in the country. Though Wagon R sales seems to be the lowest for the past 6 months.

7. Duster loosing some steam with the Ecosport arrival but not a huge dent, only time will tell though
Old 11th July 2013, 13:30   #96
BHPian

Mahindra seems to be the worst hit,all their models in the suv segment taking big hit,now after ecosport launch it will get worse i feel in july.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:41   #97
Senior - BHPian

If Ford don't increase the price of the ecosport in near future and they are able to produce, they will touch 10 K mark easily in my opinion. It will make impact mostly on Dzire, Amaze, i20, Duster, Figo itself & other cars like Verito, Etios, Sail etc. Ecosport has a great potential to become Ford's best selling car in India in years to come. Lets see how they goes about it in next few months.

Just today i saw Black Ford Ecosport in my area, due to rain it was wet & rain droplets were all over the car. I must say, it was looking smashing & Sexy
Old 11th July 2013, 17:56   #98
Senior - BHPian

The month was so bad that I dont see GTO writing about it even on the 7th page :(

GTO, loved your observations (parrys love your excel work too, just that used to seeing GTO at least by 2nd page!)

PS - if it matters to anyone

The passenger thread (here) is also reflecting/indicator of things in my town.

Ashok Leyland and TVS Industries are reeling under severe turndown.

A.L has internally laid off nearly all CL's (casual labors), opening the gates for only 3-4 days a week (1 shift), rest of the days the completely close the gate to avoid lots of OH (overheads) like canteen, electricity, shuttles - most imp half pay (basic) on non open days!!

Another point to note is (to reduce manpower without taking a 'firing' brandname) - employees are asked to relocate to UK (Uttarakhand plant) which looks as crazy as it sounds! (TVS did this punishment-transfer in 90's to its some north india plant), now AL is following suit.

TVS may follow suit!

All this is shown in local population (migrant population being the highest) and the overall mood is somber and impending job cuts are written on many faces!

Being in same industrial town for 32 years ensures all your uncle's and dad's friends end up working in any one of the top 5 names and every evening talk is about the current 'bad situation'.

PS - Caterpillar (earth movers) (erstwhile Hindustan power plus) also is reeling severly under the turndown!

God save India!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 11th July 2013 at 18:02.
svsantosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 19:09   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
PS - if it matters to anyone

The passenger thread (here) is also reflecting/indicator of things in my town.

God save India!!
Very aptly said Santosh. One of my friends who is in vendor management in MSIL, says that the slow down is having a rippling effect and their are layoffs being done silently to avoid media frenzy. Situation is really bad, and in so many families the only bread winner loosing the job because the demand is going down paints a very gloomy picture :(. I wish things were different and hope future would be brighter!
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 22:47   #100
BHPian

the most consistent performer that is hyundai sonata , selling exactly 20 a piece every month from past 8-9 months has finally broken its consistency albiet with 20% lower sales

On a serious note hyundai originally planned to launch a diesel version of sonata as well with 2.2 crdi engine which was also displayed on its Indian website few days prior to the launch so what happened at the last moment?
fuelinmyveins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 10:34   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

June car sales down 9% year-on-year, says SIAM.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/21031805.cms

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th July 2013 at 10:35.
Old 12th July 2013, 11:12   #102
BANNED

Good to see the great Fiat inching UP!!! Way to go and high time to introduce new models
Old 12th July 2013, 12:11   #103
BHPian

Traditionally monsoon months June and July are bad months for car purchase as most people tend to postpone to August or later.

Plus customers are confused with all the upcoming launches as well as the vis-a-vis features and also the huge waiting list quoted by some dealers hence postponing their decisions.

However a major slowdown in sales might be a boon for consumers in the form of tempting offers which have started to pop up from this week.
Old 12th July 2013, 17:43   #104
BHPian

SIAM wants stimulus.

SIAM ain't getting my dog gone money.
Old 12th July 2013, 23:04   #105
BHPian

It will be interesting to know the sales figures of Ertiga CNG varient. Is it possible find out this?

Thanks in anticipation.

g.e.
Closed Thread