Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th July 2013, 16:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Renault's A-Entry to share parts with Datsun small car

Nissan India will launch two low cost hatchbacks under the Datsun brand in during 2014. While one car (code-named the K2) is expected to share parts with the Micra hatchback, the other (code-named the i2) could share parts with the upcoming Renault A-Entry hatchback. The i2 is expected to be priced under 3 lakh rupees, and will be Datsun's least priced car in the Indian car market, taking on the likes of the Maruti Alto and the Hyundai Eon.

Name:  Datsun K2 Sketch.jpg
Views: 3051
Size:  56.5 KB

Note: Datsun K2 sketch used for illustrative purposes

According to a report on the WallStreetJournal, the Datsun i2 and the Renault A-Entry small car could share engines, along with other parts. Renault and Nissan will manufacture the new engine, one that could be a petrol unit displacing under 1 liter, in India. Currently, the Renault-Nissan alliance manufactures three engine line-ups in India: the 1.2 Liter HR12DE and 1.5 liter HR15DE petrol motors, and the 1.5 liter K9K turbo diesel motor. These engines are available in various states of tune.

The Datsun i2 and the Renault A-Entry will be built at Renault-Nissan's Oragadam factory, off Chennai. The i2 is expected to hit the market first, with its launch anticipated to happen in the second half of 2014. The Renault A-Entry seems primed for a 2015 debut. Renault has been tight lipped about its small car plans, apart from divulging information that such a project is indeed in the works.

The Renault small car will sit under the badge engineered Pulse hatchback in terms of price and positioning. However, expect the Renault A-Entry to be more expensive than the Datsun i2. The Renault small car, like the Datsun range of low cost cars, could be adapted to be sold in many countries across the globe. Demand for affordable and fuel efficient small cars is high across many emerging markets in Asia, Eastern Europe and Russia, South America, and Africa.

After the Duster's runaway success in India, the A-Entry could be the new volumes gainer for Renault. Until then, facelifts and refreshes of existing products such as the Duster, the Fluence sedan and the Koleos crossover will keep the French car maker busy. In between these facelifts, the 2014 Indian Auto Expo will see the unveiling of the Lodgy MPV.
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 16:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Renault's A-Entry to share parts with Datsun small car

So we will have Renault pulse, Micra Active, new Micra and this datsun K2 taking the re branding to a whole new level. Whatever be the designers sketches, i can see this K2 as nothing but same old Micra with different grill and headlight design may be.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 19:47   #3
BHPian

Did anyone notice that Scala was not mentioned even once in the entire Renault discussion. No doubt it is badge engineered, but so is Micra / Pulse and notwithstanding the miniscule numbers that it sells, I still believe that Scala is one of the most underrated cars in the market today.
INNOVATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 20:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOVATOR View Post
Did anyone notice that Scala was not mentioned even once in the entire Renault discussion. No doubt it is badge engineered, but so is Micra / Pulse and notwithstanding the miniscule numbers that it sells, I still believe that Scala is one of the most underrated cars in the market today.
The Scala is a very well loaded car in its segment, however it does feel under-powered and not so well put together when you compare it with the Vento or Rapid. However i do agree it is underrated, definitely deserves more kudos. Not sure why the Sunny is the caaaar but Scala is not, given it is better decked out with similar specs.
RoadTrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 11:32   #5
BHPian

Latest Forbes India cover story is on Datsun revival
http://forbesindia.com/article/board...datsun/35545/1
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Datsun releases sketch of the i2 hatchback that will take on the Maruti Alto 800.

Though Renault A will share parts with the Datsun i2, the Renault A-Entry will be positioned at a premium in line with the French brand’s higher positioning.
However, the Renault A-Entry will sit under the Pulse in terms of pricing, which is likely to begin from under the 4 lakh rupee mark.

http://www.cartoq.com/datsun-release...ruti-alto-800/

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd January 2014 at 12:32.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote