Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th July 2013, 15:48   #16
BHPian

Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Glowplugs are used to preheat the cylinddr and pistons before ignition for a trouble free start in winters. By this definition, glowplugs should be near the engine, and not the rear door.
I may be wrong though.
I read on the net. The glow plugs are near the engine but the relay that controls them is placed below the front passenger door.
Srinivas C is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 15:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ford has adopted the correct method of going about this. Instead of going live with a massive recall, get in touch with individual customers and get the issue corrected. Not many Ecosports on the road anyways. I am assuming the next batch of Ecosport Diesels and thereon will have the glow plug placed according to Indian conditions.

Very generous of Ford to provide a Free Car Wash. Maybe they can throw in a free candy too while they're at it

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 11th July 2013 at 15:57.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 16:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post
I read on the net. The glow plugs are near the engine but the relay that controls them is placed below the front passenger door.
@Srinivas C: The exact locations needs to be verified by myself which I will do at 9:30 am on Saturday when I personally visit the service center. I will let you guys know every aspect in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Ford has adopted the correct method of going about this. Instead of going live with a massive recall, get in touch with individual customers and get the issue corrected. Not many Ecosports on the road anyways. I am assuming the next batch of Ecosport Diesels and thereon will have the glow plug placed according to Indian conditions.

Very generous of Ford to provide a Free Car Wash. Maybe they can throw in a free candy too while they're at it
Extremely generous. Though I will ask them to give me some accessory or waive off my first oil change bill which I intend to do at 3 months! How about asking for both?
xuv2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 16:19   #19
BHPian

Default Re: EcoSport Diesel Recall: Team-BHP news link inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Shouldn't they contact Ford and get details before posting the news. So far only one BHPian has got the recall call, but so many have got their cars delivered.
Srinivas C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 18:49   #20
BHPian

Months and months Ford tested this car in India and don't tell me they didn't catch such a simple flaw??!!
timj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 19:10   #21
BHPian

Inspite of testing cars for a prolonged time some issues generally get reported from customers only. It is called a Product Performance feedback Report. ppfr. Based on this changes are made by the manufacturer.

Last edited by s.prashanth : 11th July 2013 at 19:12.
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 20:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj View Post
Months and months Ford tested this car in India and don't tell me they didn't catch such a simple flaw??!!
I take it that you have never worked in software industry

I don't see any reason to be negative about this development. If anything, they should be commended for their honesty, knowing full well how such a move will be perceived in the market.
bansal98 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 20:28   #23
BHPian

Somebody is getting fired over this at Ford. Its a good thing they've seen this before it went into mass distribution. Imagine if it were an year from now, Ford India might have just dodged a bullet here.
tjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 20:56   #24
BHPian

Dear members,

It is official now, Ford has even sent a clarification to Team-BHP confirming the voluntary recall. The exact location of the module is under the front bumper which will now be relocated to a safer place inside the engine bay.

Please read the news bulletin on the Team-BHP homepage for detailed information.

As promised I will share detailed information once they carry out the recall on my car. I am glad to see that most of the members are taking this is good spirits and are in turn appreciating the honesty!

Last edited by xuv2390 : 11th July 2013 at 20:57.
xuv2390 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 21:00   #25
BHPian

Yes, I feel Ford should be appreciated for their honesty and the initiative taken to address the issue, rather than working on it later as a result of mass customer complaints.
Satshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 21:09   #26
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite a mature move. Would appreciate the fast response and clean approach till now exhibited by Ford on this.

Should not apply to petrol vehicles though.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 21:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Unimpressed by Ford's so called 'glocal' extensive testing!

Locating a critical ECM under the front bumper of an 'urban SUV' is downright silly, even without touting the 550mm of wading depth! Parts of Bangalore were at that depth yesterday evening :-)

Trying to pass this off as a 'simple thing that they are proactively solving' is being extremely generous to Ford in my humble opinion.

Frankly, I personally expected much better from Ford.

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th July 2013 at 21:36. Reason: Clarification
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 21:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
I am sure several manufacturers may have just ignored concerns in the past without informing customers. In fact we should be happy about their open, honest and 1 to 1 approach! Getting a call from their Chennai office and explaining the issue in detail is great! Hats off to the honesty.
KUDOS TO FORD!!!!!!

This is an issue with the glow plug module, this means that the issue is only with Diesel cars and not Petrol cars since they do not have a glow plug to heat the engine prior to kick off. Hence as I understand this issue is with all diesel cars delivered until this very date only!

This should not be a big concern at all! They claim that since the conditions are different in the European/American versions this part needs to be relocated to a safer place just to avoid any issues. This is a preventive measure hence we should not hype it too much and instead appreciate the honestly so next time such an issue occurs they will honestly let us know again instead of hiding it for the next service visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
As has been reflected in the views of many, this is very responsible of Ford to issue a recall before it becomes a niggle for everyone. Unlike Mahindra who waits to replace parts of only those customers who complain. This goes a long way to show the credibility of the American Blue Oval and their customer service.
Way to go Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post

Spoke to the sevice manager he said the glow plug relay is located somewhere around the fender or front bumper

I think it is a very mature move from ford.

What I did not understand is whether it is India, China, europe, brazil or argentina all of them claim a water wading capability 550mm, so how do our pot holes matter?

As far as I know diesel is available only in india and Argentina.I have not yet received the call from Ford

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th July 2013 at 12:03. Reason: Fixing quote
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 21:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

Spoke to the sevice manager he said the glow plug relay is located somewhere around the fender or front bumper

I think it is a very mature move from ford.

What I did not understand is whether it is India, China, europe, brazil or argentina all of them claim a water wading capability 550mm, so how do our pot holes matter?

As far as I know diesel is available only in india and Argentina.I have not yet received the call from Ford
@ecosport rules: Maybe our potholes matter because when the car hits the pothole a lot of water splashes around depending upon the speed at which the pothole is hit. And again, though the advertise the 550 mm water wading capability across the world, India is probably the only country where we would actually put this to test!

In simple words, if the module is indeed located at the same place in their European versions too then they are simply fooling the world and they just realized that the same cannot be done in India because we will actually test their claims on the 550 mm capability! Who else in the world would drive their car in 550 mm of water? Rather I should ask where else in foreign countries would water flood on main roads? with India being an EXCEPTION!

Hence, in short they are just adapting the car to real Indian road conditions!
xuv2390 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 22:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

They needn't have done a recall, they could have easily rectified this issue when the Ecosports came for their first services. Something's are best kept hidden, this is a step backward for the Ecosport, there was another report of how a Splendor guy test driving an Ecosport at a dealership managed to topple the car. The only thing remaining to happen is news that Ecosports are catching fire!
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote