Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 22:17   #31
BHPian
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Doon
Posts: 424
Thanked: 515 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

I love the Ecosport, I really do.

However no love for the car can relate to complete ignorance of a recall.

I do understand that this is not something grave or serious, however the question does rise that why was this not thought of earlier ?

All that localisation and endless testing and yet things are missed out. Which are apparently critical enough to demand a recall because of our temperature/road conditions.

Its not that Ford is rubbish and doesn't have a clue about what its doing, Toyota recently recalled Corrola's made in 2003 for an airbag replacement.

However no matter how I see it, this will do no good to the Ecosport.
Enigmatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 22:21   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 3,871 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
They needn't have done a recall, they could have easily rectified this issue when the Ecosports came for their first services. Something's are best kept hidden, this is a step backward for the Ecosport, there was another report of how a Splendor guy test driving an Ecosport at a dealership managed to topple the car. The only thing remaining to happen is news that Ecosports are catching fire!
Sorry to disagree. In my opinion, being transparent in these matters is the right approach rather than addressing the issue only when the affected customers make noise.
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 22:31   #33
BHPian
 
callvvijay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 143 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Fantastic! Appreciate the transparency here. But -

Looks like Ford had just been showing off their car before the launch than to actually test it in road conditions. They might have instructed the test engineers/drivers like this - "Drive the car in a way that people (try to) grab pictures of the car. There is no need for any testing to be done while you drive. Just laze around."

Now, this also makes me happy in one way. A lesson learnt for me - never book a car during the pre-launch euphoria. Book any car after the initial honeymoon period.
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 22:36   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 928
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Appreciate the proactive recall by Ford, good they found this issue in early release phase rather than late when customer start complaining.

Looks like only the diesel models will be impacted as petrol ones don't have glow plugs.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 23:04   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
ecosport rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,077
Thanked: 1,342 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
@ecosport rules: Maybe our potholes matter because when the car hits the pothole a lot of water splashes around depending upon the speed at which the pothole is hit. And again, though the advertise the 550 mm water wading capability across the world, India is probably the only country where we would actually put this to test!

In simple words, if the module is indeed located at the same place in their European versions too then they are simply fooling the world and they just realized that the same cannot be done in India because we will actually test their claims on the 550 mm capability! Who else in the world would drive their car in 550 mm of water? Rather I should ask where else in foreign countries would water flood on main roads? with India being an EXCEPTION!

Hence, in short they are just adapting the car to real Indian road conditions!

good one xuv2390

And all of us who have taken deliveries need not worry because even if the glow plug module fails the engine will start and run as usual.

So as xuv2390 has maturely taken the appointment on saturday , we too can wait for the call and not run to the workshops tomorrow
ecosport rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 23:23   #36
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

A publicity strategy maybe? I simply do not buy the reasoning that through months and months of "intense" testing and developing hype about the product, they never realized a potential issue with something like this. When they are marketing the product with special focus on 200mm GC and 550mm wading depth, anything located towards the lower side and suspect to water/moisture damage is worth paying attention to.

Another point that comes to mind is, do diesel SUVs usually have glow plug control module in this location? I don't think the answer is yes. Ford themselves have made diesel SUVs before (eg. Endeavour). What was the arrangement in that? If they thought of this while designing the Ecosport, how come absolutely nobody ever thought of this issue until about a week or two into the launch? I think anybody who has the slightest understanding of product design process in an organisation as large as Ford, will agree with my point.

Maybe they did spot it during QC but some smart mastermind decided that it would be a good point to use to build goodwill in the product's early days? Or maybe the issue is really not that big after all but Ford is trying to create a hype about their service? I doubt the latter though, simply because it is not worth the resources being spent behind the recall (time/money).

Of course these are all speculations and guesses. Unless xuv2390 does not get the issue actually fixed, we will not have a clearer picture.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 00:45   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 928
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Saw an article in economic times related to recall of 972 diesel Ecosport
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/21024906.cms
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 02:39   #38
BHPian
 
carfreak77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 306
Thanked: 128 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Here is a link from the ACI website about the recall of the diesel Ecosport: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/349...-ecosport.aspx
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 07:08   #39
BHPian
 
BraveArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chennai\Kuwait
Posts: 169
Thanked: 409 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Went to the Ford factory in Chennai last Thursday. I remember seeing quite a lot of Ecosports not being cleared and brought back into the factory. So, I asked one of the worker why there were so many, he said it's because of some issue. Guess now I know what the issue was.
BraveArc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 07:42   #40
BHPian
 
sharninder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Goon-Gaon
Posts: 359
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
Who else in the world would drive their car in 550 mm of water? Rather I should ask where else in foreign countries would water flood on main roads? with India being an EXCEPTION!
There were floods in Germany recently where more than 2 feet of water was on city streets. Same situation in Canada too. And the US gets these every year because of natural causes.

I don't think the diesel ecosport has been sold anywhere till now. Which is why this issue has been spotted here first.
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 08:00   #41
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,045
Thanked: 7,372 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Good move Ford! It takes guts to announce a recall so early in a not so mature market like ours.

And from what I read here, this is for relocation of the glow plug 'module' which is not a big deal.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 09:31   #42
BHPian
 
timj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: chennai
Posts: 34
Thanked: 2 Times
Talking re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
I take it that you have never worked in software industry

I don't see any reason to be negative about this development. If anything, they should be commended for their honesty, knowing full well how such a move will be perceived in the market.
Well unfortunately, I am from the s/w industry! A good QA team does not miss a straightforward use case. Do they? You say your vehicle can wade in 550m depth of water, but don't figure out that one of your key components may get damaged if you do so by getting wet? Seems pretty straight forward to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Yes, I feel Ford should be appreciated for their honesty and the initiative taken to address the issue, rather than working on it later as a result of mass customer complaints.
Yes, appreciate honesty, Ford has saved some grace doing so.
timj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 09:59   #43
BHPian
 
S.MJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 441
Thanked: 483 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Saw an article in economic times related to recall of 972 diesel Ecosport
Total dealer dispatches last month of Ecosport diesel were 3429.
Wonder only 972 have made it to end customers till now.

Last edited by S.MJet : 12th July 2013 at 10:06.
S.MJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 10:14   #44
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 856
Thanked: 2,337 Times
Default re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Something's are best kept hidden, this is a step backward for the Ecosport.
Sorry to disagree man! This might be Ford's way of sending the message across the masses of their responsible behaviours. And like swarnava.m said, it might be a publicity strategy too.
With the way the monsoons is making merry this year, Ford couldnt have waited for the first servicing as by then the damage would've probably been done in the thick of rains. If an adverse report had come from customer's side, it would've gone against their reputation. It was always better to rectify it before many Ecosport were roaming the roads. Since it was the initial days, it was easier for them to deal with it too. Add to that, they got the brownie points for being proactive too

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sorry to disagree. In my opinion, being transparent in these matters is the right approach rather than addressing the issue only when the affected customers make noise.
Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
A publicity strategy maybe?
Yes. May be. Just, may be.
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 10:18   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 159
Thanked: 70 Times
Arrow re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

This surely is a confidence booster! Atleast they do a recall unlike many electronic manufacturers(like HP,nvidia) who never accept their fault!

I replaced my Figo front mudflap 3 times in 3 years. I am sure that my car never had hit a speed breaker/ pot hole side. It seems like the water from the rotating wheel is breaking off the mudflap. After every high way drive in monsoon, my cars mudflap is broken! Sent an email to ford customer-care, and in 3 hours - I received a call from them. In 6 hours, I received a call from dealer. The next day, they called me again and conveyed they will take the issue to product development team.

That is a reassuring - making customers feel good! Even if they don't do anything with the mudflap, I am happy because I got at least a call and followup.

That is one great CRM(Customer Relationship Management) they have there!
Sedate is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Ford EcoSport Diesel Titanium-O (Sea Grey) 84.monsoon Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 36 19th October 2017 15:43
My Chill Pill Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold! urajkumar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 112 6th July 2015 12:44
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks