Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th July 2013, 11:58   #1
Senior - BHPian
Default Chevrolet Beat gets a mild refresh

Link to News Section

General Motors India has given the Beat hatchback a mild update. The India-spec car gets refreshed interiors with satin inserts on the dashboard while the driver seat of the car gets the height adjustment feature. Globally, the Chevrolet Beat has gotten refreshes in two locations: USA and South Africa. While the US-spec Beat (known as the Spark in that part of the world) gets minor updates, the facelifted South Africa-spec Beat comes with a much more comprehensive makeover.

Chevrolet Beat gets a mild refresh-chevrolet-beat-1.jpg

In light of the more extensive changes to the Beat globally, a comprehensive revamp could be on the cards for the Indian version of the car in the next year or so. The Beat that's sold in India is available with the maximum number of engine variants when compared with its global peers. The car comes with a 1.2 liter petrol engine (80 Bhp-108 Nm), 936cc-3 cylinder turbo diesel engine (58 Bhp-150 Nm) and a petrol-LPG motor (78 Bhp-104 Nm).

Name:  2014 Chevrolet Beat.jpg
Views: 9400
Size:  84.0 KB

Note: The above image represents the 2014 Chevrolet Spark facelift for South Africa.

All three engines get a five speed manual gearbox as standard. The Chevrolet Beat Diesel comes with a ARAI certified fuel efficiency figure of 25.44 Kmpl, making the car the most fuel efficient diesel hatchback in India. The top end variants of the car come with ABS+EBD and twin airbags as standard. The car also gets automatic climate control, power assisted wing mirrors and a tilt steering in the top end versions.

Chevrolet Beat gets a mild refresh-chevrolet-beat-dashboard.jpg

Although the Beat hatchback is the least priced diesel powered car in General Motors's Indian line up, sales have been far from encouraging as the recently launched Sail U-VA hatchback seems to have eaten into the Beat's market share. With General Motors suspending the production of the diesel powered Sail hatchback and sedan due to quality issues in the engine, the focus seems to be back on boosting sales of the Beat.

Chevrolet Beat gets a mild refresh-chevrolet-beat-interiors.jpg

The petrol variants of the Beat starts at 3.88 lakh rupees, the LPG variants at 4.47 lakh rupees and the diesel powered variants at 4.73 lakh rupees. All prices reflect ex-showroom Delhi figures.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 12th July 2013 at 12:09. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 12:27   #2
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat gets a mild refresh

The car is good but it could not get enough attention from the first time buyers - which I think was one the major target segment for GM

- Too small boot
- Dash board / Speedo section is too bike inspired, does not go well for the first time buyer's thought process
- A lot of pockets and storage here and there but can't be put to good use except for collection of dust

If the mid-term facelift can address some of these issues, well the car has potential to bring good number of buyers to the showrooms.

Last edited by i74js : 12th July 2013 at 12:29.
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 13:39   #3

Originally Posted by i74js View Post
- A lot of pockets and storage here and there but can't be put to good use except for collection of dust
Spot on. Not to forget: the sparse service network, not-so-affordable service+spares and the horrible pickup of the petrol engine.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 14:05   #4

I am the owner of a beat diesel and my heart aches when i see it doing such low numbers because it is a competent product for the price. Here are the two main things i believe which puts off first time buyers :-

1) The brand - this is obvious as the sub 6 lakh sector has a lot of options. Most of the brands have better perception than chevy.

2) Visibility - This is a huge hindrance for the first time buyer. The sporty seat back position hindrances all round visibility.

As a consumer, i am really happy that i went for the beat. I love it and find it a hoot to drive even though it is pretty low on power.
vantheman5211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 14:58   #5

The Chevy Spark globally has features like Electric ORVM, Steering mounted controls, a better stock HU and driver seat adjustment, but none of them are available in India, moreover they ask a premium price for Beat diesel where you have more choice for the same price and time is lost for a price correction. They should seriously considering utilising the space in front more efficiently by trimming the intrusion of dashboard and make rear seat to accomodate 5 people atleast like Spark. I own a Beat myself and happy with the FE and performance but when I compare it to Spark which also I owned there is scope for more changes.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 16:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Beat as such does not really require a makeover for now be it in the interior or exterior. The product is fresh and contemporary and has an ace in its sleeve with its diesel motor.

Small updatese such as height adjustment seats are always welcome and hope they do not call it in the name of a facelift and should be on offer in the top variant of the car at no extra price.

However an upgrade is required for sure in terms of their marketing efforts which should be sustained as somehow GM has the tendency to lose steam in pushing their products just a short while after the launch.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 18:32   #7
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

the main problem that this car has is that it is almost similar to that of a maruti 800 or an alto. General public is a hesitant to spend the extra amount for a car approximately of same size. Add to that the costly spares(although in the range of 15-20%). Lower fuel efficiancy for petrol engine, less power for diesel engine, lesser number of service centres, untrained staff at service centres. Last but not the least, low resale values. Although the quality of everything that they give is top class.

Even the recently launched Sail sedan and hatchback have very uninteresting interiors. the outer looks would be ok to some but do not excite as it seems just one from the lot. Seems that either they do not have access to forums like TBHP or just turn a blind eye to what members/moderators have to say.

Neither did the previous MD-Mr karl slym nor the current MD Mr lowell paddock is interested in taking things forward. Seems they are already satisfied with whatever numbers they are doing
su1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 20:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

The new 2014 model Beat looks really neat. It looks more softer and manages to disguise it's front heaviness rather well. Nicely styled, and that green is going to be an impulsive buy .
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote