Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2013, 02:49   #16
BHPian
 
Imran Ahmad Ali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 68
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post

The Pajero SFX is a 20 year old model with features inferior to the top end innova. If its priced on par with the innova I don't think there is anything wrong in that. Pajero might have been a premium brand in the 90's but not any longer. Besides, the entry level SUV of Mitsubishi, the Outlander is a dud. If Mitsu can position the old SFX as an entry level SUV I believe it can attract more people to the Pajero brand which in turn might actually boost the sale of the Sport as it is much more advanced than the SFX. The Evo did not sell because it was not worth the price it was being offered for.
Ok here goes . Well The second generation you are talking about is the Glx variant which was launched in india first yes that is 22 years old internationally and changed to the wider fender version ( Sfx in india ) roughly 15 years back . So the Sfx is 15 not 20. Minor change I hope you don't mind. Since you specifically mentioned the Sfx so I thought it might be of consequence . Innova - Well apart from the 2012 facelift that came with a touchscreen music system or maybe the climate control . I can't think of any useful feature that the pajero lacks . On the contrary the pajero comes with leather seats which the innova lacks . Alloys check , Abs check , airbags check , roof mounted Ac check . What else ? Well certainly nothing wrong for us right ?. Ok the " Premium brand " concept may vary from state to state. In our part of the country a pajero has the brand image because of the fact that 10 years back every big shot was seen in a pajero . Probably like a mercedes was seen . Till date that brand image exists for most of the people I know. Even of they have GLs or Range Rovers the Pajero still brings a smile when discussed , When mitsubhishi came with both the pajeros they were Pajero 2.8 and Pajero 3.2 later renamed Montero. The problem see was both vehicles had the same name , although different segments yet the cheaper vehicle ate into the sales of the bigger one !
Similarly when you can get a pajero for 15 why would you pay 23 for the same named vehicle ?. Worth is defined and perceived to different individuals differently.
I hope my post isn't offensive in any manner . We might have contradictory opinions good that we get each others side of the story.
Regards
Imran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Point wise replies to your above remarks.
Grateful for the point wise replies. I guess I owe you the same.

Well tell me something. A Camry Is mostly a cab, comfortable yes, safe yes, efficient ( as per their resources ) yes but a person who buys a Camry there isn't exactly someone who's got something different right ? He's got a normal car which is used mainly by taxi operators and certain wont be his dream car will it ?.
To make things clear. I had the first 2012 Model Fortuner in panchkula ( chandigarh tricity ). Yes then it had the exclusivity factor because it was new and people gave it a glance once in a while but now who does ? Why will anyone turn for a fortuner ? There are too many for that ! Sad fact remains that due to the fact that there are so many on the road most don't bother looking at a car That is so common ! If you read my earlier post I mentioned and do so again compared to the fortuner the Pajero sport is exclusive. I hope you agree to that ! Also it ain't a Ferrari for sure bro because a Ferrari for 25 Lakhs on road ? Life isn't that sweet bro . If you get a Ferrari for 25 and it becomes as common as Fortuners probably it won't be the " Dream " car that it is .

I disagree with the innova not being branded as a taxi . Sad reality is no successful taxi operators fleet doesn't comprise of Innovas ! Be it GURGAON or delhi or chandigarh wherever you go Innova is a taxi there ! I have a silver one myself and have seen cops pulling up private white colour Innovas privately registered doubting them to be taxis ! What would you call this ? My contention isn't whether the engine isn't robust or whether it is cheap to maintain it or not it just is when the car you own is used mainly as a taxi you certainly command lesser respect on the road than others. You cannot compare the respect of a pajero and an innova .

Firstly I request you to quote the line I refer to the fortuner as junk ?. Probably you misunderstood me I say it again A pajero turns more heads than a fortuner . I feel I possess both vehicles so I can say that ! Rest you are entitled to your own opinion ! A man who owns a 25 Lakh car in India isn't certainly looked at sympathetically for sure ! So the point was irrelevant and I am also a fortuner Owner and have never seen a person looking at me sympathetically for sure ! Haha

Ok The a class is a hatchback , B is a kind of Muv and Cla is a compact sedan ! Well in India they do share bits and pieces yet how apart are they in cost ? A stats at 22.27 , B starts at 23.16 . Less than a Lakh of rupees ? Cla isn't here when that comes it may be a different story . My point is the care a priced at the same price point and they share parts . Here the cars are priced at 16 and 25 Lakhs. A 9 Lakh difference . Part sharing here is different ! I hope you understood my point . We are talking of the entertainment system , bits of the dashboard , seats ( here innova scores higher because of the captain seats and better headroom and comfort ! The rear seat of the fortuner gives me a back ache on long journeys ! See the last row of both the vehicles . Hardly anything to differentiate both . Even the climate control design is the same !

I am not talking of rebadged variants of vehicles I am talking of sharing of parts in two completely different segments ! I hope you understood my point . I would differ on this point too ! The fortuner is an all time 4X4 while as in a pajero you can shift from 2 to 4 at your convenience. There's a video by overdrive comparing a fortuner and Pajero side by side and guess which is better ? The super select is far more capable than the all time 4wd of the fortuner . With the innova sharing so many parts with a fortuner and being more comfortable than a fortuner I do not understand the point of the 4X2 fortuner because of you don't have rough terrain to travel why won't you choose a vehicle that is 1) Cheaper to buy and maintain , 2). More comfortable , 3) Being cheaper makes you loose lesser money on dep than the bigger vehicle ! Yes safer maybe rest I don't see the point.

If a company has a good anniversary edition why not ? Why is it a desperate attempt by mitsubhishi ? So the Sportivo variants are desperate attempts by toyota ?. Let's not even talk about the cheap chrome editions by toyota ! Compare funny stickers on the body or chrome with a indash sat Nav and we'd know who tries to get footfalls the cheaper way . My first innova was the one that came with the free magic system and mats and mud flaps and what not not the mitsubhishis !

So we get to rename cars on our own? If the Sport is a Triton so the fortuner is a Hilux ? Aren't both the vehicles in contention here based on pick ups ? The sport is a vehicle with heritage the name itself means it. If the " Real " SUV is a Montero for mitsubhishi then the " Real " SUV for toyota is a Land cruiser or a pardo ? Come on ! The super select 4X4, the departure angles , the gap between the tyre and the body doesn't it all mean the company with this heritage knows what it's doing ?

I can't comment on the delhi after sales but I feel the CHANDIGARH dealership is par excellence.!

Well in no way did anything offend me I hope the same for you . We have a Pajero , Montero , Fortuner 4wd and an innova within the family hence I gave my opinions on all the vehicles . I am not an anti toyota person as I own two of them rather id say I am a pro mitsubhishi person . Toyotas are cheap to maintain and offer good resale. I enjoy the mitsubhishis slightly more . Happy kilometres with the fortuner.

Best wishes
Imran

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th July 2013 at 19:17. Reason: Shortening quoted posts, else it becomes a lot of scrolling for mobile viewers.
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 09:36   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 192
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran Ahmad Ali View Post
Contrarily if mitsubhishi would've lost the will to survive they wouldn't have had the Pajero sport for sale . How did we treat them ? They brought the Evo . How many did we buy ? Everything good comes at a cost only if we are ready to pay for it.
Just my views and for me brand image does not mean the number it sells ! Rather the vehicle matter to me .
Best wishes
Imran
Better ask Mitsubishi then whether they are happy with current numbers or would they like to quadruple the same!

Obviously, in spite of being a capable vehicle, Pajero sport is not selling. Same with other Mitsu offerings.
Why is it not selling?
Because "We" as in public, do not buy a vehicle if we don't see value in it. "We" don't consider it to be value for money. This can be because either the price is too high, or the value is too low or both.

As far as value is concerned, the main sticking points AFAIK are service network and service quality. There are also apprehensions about Mitsu's long term commitment to India.

These concerns cannot be eradicated overnight. To encourage dealers to invest in service, Mitsu has to show numbers. Similarly, to ensure people about their commitment (and parts availability) Mitsu has to show numbers. It is a chicken and egg situation which can be rectified only by pushing some volumes for some time, probably with a discount.

Of course, if Mitsu has plans of exiting the HM JV (which I often hear rumours of) then it is a different matter. But this, if it is indded the strategy, has to be done cleanly without delay. They are just faffing around at the moment.
chinkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 15:35   #18
BHPian
 
Imran Ahmad Ali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 68
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post

Better ask Mitsubishi then whether they are happy with current numbers or would they like to quadruple the same!

Obviously, in spite of being a capable vehicle, Pajero sport is not selling. Same with other Mitsu offerings.
Why is it not selling?
Because "We" as in public, do not buy a vehicle if we don't see value in it. "We" don't consider it to be value for money. This can be because either the price is too high, or the value is too low or both.

As far as value is concerned, the main sticking points AFAIK are service network and service quality. There are also apprehensions about Mitsu's long term commitment to India.

These concerns cannot be eradicated overnight. To encourage dealers to invest in service, Mitsu has to show numbers. Similarly, to ensure people about their commitment (and parts availability) Mitsu has to show numbers. It is a chicken and egg situation which can be rectified only by pushing some volumes for some time, probably with a discount.

Of course, if Mitsu has plans of exiting the HM JV (which I often hear rumours of) then it is a different matter. But this, if it is indded the strategy, has to be done cleanly without delay. They are just faffing around at the moment.
Greetings Chinkara

Here again you have misunderstood the Doing many number concept ! I refuse to state or believe in any way that I said a company is happier doing lesser numbers . I said its better for us ! Ok a mere example . A group of 10 people want an SUV. 8 buy the fortuner because everyone buys it and 2 buy the sport ! Who have the exclusivity factor ? If the vehicle was underpowered Id understand , if t wasn't good on or off the road id understand , if the engine wasn't robust enough id get he point ! But when the vehicles are both good vehicles and one does more for whatever reason how can we say the other is no good ? Just because everyone doesnt buy it ? . Who gets the change of being more exclusive ? A true offroad enthusiast looks out for a good Pajero even after being so old . If they Wernt superior machines would they have lasted ? . A man who bought a car in 1991 didn't feel outdated till maybe 2008 or even 2013 . Try selling a toyota for 22 years ? Which is the depreciation disaster here ?. Every refreshed model toyota launches further hits the resale of the older car !

See now the thing of not doing numbers . We as people learn to follow ! If one person I know says the fortuner is good I say well why don't I pick up the same if he says it must be good ! How many of us test drove Fortuners before we bought them ? I certainly didn't . I bought it because of what I heard ! Same way A pajero just because one individual says its not as good I believe it isn't ?. How many of us have driven a fortuner and pajero back to back before we sit to compare them ? I have and I voice what I say ! Small incident . I had a crash in the 17 day old fortuner near Ambala. Globe toyota in Mohali repaired it . For starters it took ages , the paint quality wasn't upto the mark, they stuck the black tape on the doors wrong , broke my perfectly ok footrest , took over 2 weeks , a service adviser even told me that after the car was done and I realised a bump on the rear door that It might've been caused by me while they hadnt set the front door properly . Is this the after sales service we boast about ?. Sorry mitsubhishi is way better as per me and my experiences ! Atleast in chandigarh I vouch for the same !

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder . What is garbage for you may be gold for me or vice Versa . I hope you agree . Even if the sport sells 150 units it's well worth it for those 150 people ! So we can't give such general statements . I hope that's acceptable ?

Service network . In these modern ages where do our cars break down ? Maybe I've just been lucky * touchwood . Toyota has a dealership in Srinagar yet I only service my toyotas in chandigarh. A tricity like chandigarh has 3 dealerships . Yet you book 3 days in advance and the job isn't upto the mark . Contrarily you take a mitsubhishi the very same day and the work carried out is perfect . What am I supposed to say here ? Hence I respectfully disagree on the service issue . I ve never been stranded for parts even for my 13 year old lancer.

Whether the HM Mitsubhishi alliance ends or not ! I am fully satisfied with the vehicles I own and the service provided .

Hope we take decisions on our own assessments and not rumours we hear off.

Malpractices by dealers is what toyota is known for ! Sir the waiting for the fortuner is 6 months . Little later but if you put accessories worth 1.5 Lakhs you get it in a week ? .


Happy and safe motoring to you .

Best wishes
Imran
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 18:00   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV

Imran looking at the way you have put up your experiences with Mitsubishi Pajero Sport had me thinking that you had owned a Mitsubishi in the past and know what you are talking about. Your last post confirmed that indeed you have driven and have an experience of driving and owning the legendary Mitsubishi Lancer.

It looks like your posts are repeating my similar thoughts, I too drive a Mitsubishi Lancer prior to this I had an Opel Astra, now you will have a rough understanding about my taste with regards to vehicles. I drove the Opel Astra for close to 8 years and disposed it off and bought a Mitsubishi Lancer. It's been a year since I have bought the lancer, there were minor issues when I bought the car but they're all sorted out and am enjoying this legendary car since the last 1 year. Both the cars which I have bought sold in few numbers compared to the Citys, Corollas, Fiestas, etc. but who cares when one gets maximum pleasure from cars other than these, especially when one drives the legendary vehicles from Mitsubishi's stable. It's an irony that the three diamond company(Mitsubishi Motors) got into a doomed to be alliance with the infamous and notorious Junk House(read HM). But that doesn't overshadow the prowess and the sheer road presence of Mitsubishi cars. Even today when I drive around in a Lancer people turn around and friends are delighted for a joyride in my Lancer. In your case it is the Pajero Sports. Some tell the spare parts are expensive oh come on you are getting imported spare parts Japan Quality for Mitsubishi cars what do you expect and these parts outlive the locally manufactured parts.

Also you are the right person when you speak about your experiences with Pajero Sports and Toyota Fortuner as you own and drive both the vehicles. Too all who haven't owned or driven the pajero, A Pajero is an iconic rally bred vehicle, you have to own it and drive it to know it.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 25th July 2013 at 18:04. Reason: Grammer Edits
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 21:03   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 192
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran Ahmad Ali View Post
Greetings Chinkara

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder . What is garbage for you may be gold for me or vice Versa . I hope you agree . Even if the sport sells 150 units it's well worth it for those 150 people ! So we can't give such general statements . I hope that's acceptable ?
)
Totally agree with you that it may be well worth for those 150 people. And I am not disputing the capability of Mitsu vehicles at all -- I have driven a lancer in my extended family, so know the pleasure. In this forum, members are mostly enthusiasts all of whom have only good things to say about Mitsu.

However, you have mentioned your experiences with the Chandigarh dealership -- I can tell you that is the exception. I got poor feedback about the Kolkata dealership from my relatives. I had called the sole Mitsu dealership in Delhi 3 weeks back, was supposed to get a call back, have not got it still. In my mind, there are already doubts -- if this is the attitude when they are selling a 22 L vehicle, then what about after sales?

Maybe they figured out that this is a customer with budget constraints just from my call!

Also, I agree with you that very rarely these days you need an unscheduled service intervention. In my 10 years of car ownership only twice I had to do something unplanned -- an accident in Jalna (Maharashtra) and a problem at Pathankot. But Maruti had dealers in both places (one capable - Pathankot; one not -- Jalna, but that is besides the point). But many people do consider the 5% chance of emergency intervention in their purchase decision.

I guess fundamentally, you are someone who is looking for exclusivity -- I am someone looking for a better deal and peace of mind. We are different customers.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 16:39   #21
BHPian
 
Imran Ahmad Ali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 68
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Imran looking at the way you have put up your experiences with Mitsubishi Pajero Sport had me thinking that you had owned a Mitsubishi in the past and know what you are talking about. Your last post confirmed that indeed you have driven and have an experience of driving and owning the legendary Mitsubishi Lancer.

It looks like your posts are repeating my similar thoughts, I too drive a Mitsubishi Lancer prior to this I had an Opel Astra, now you will have a rough understanding about my taste with regards to vehicles. I drove the Opel Astra for close to 8 years and disposed it off and bought a Mitsubishi Lancer. It's been a year since I have bought the lancer, there were minor issues when I bought the car but they're all sorted out and am enjoying this legendary car since the last 1 year. Both the cars which I have bought sold in few numbers compared to the Citys, Corollas, Fiestas, etc. but who cares when one gets maximum pleasure from cars other than these, especially when one drives the legendary vehicles from Mitsubishi's stable. It's an irony that the three diamond company(Mitsubishi Motors) got into a doomed to be alliance with the infamous and notorious Junk House(read HM). But that doesn't overshadow the prowess and the sheer road presence of Mitsubishi cars. Even today when I drive around in a Lancer people turn around and friends are delighted for a joyride in my Lancer. In your case it is the Pajero Sports. Some tell the spare parts are expensive oh come on you are getting imported spare parts Japan Quality for Mitsubishi cars what do you expect and these parts outlive the locally manufactured parts.

Also you are the right person when you speak about your experiences with Pajero Sports and Toyota Fortuner as you own and drive both the vehicles. Too all who haven't owned or driven the pajero, A Pajero is an iconic rally bred vehicle, you have to own it and drive it to know it.
Greetings

I don't have a Sport (Yet) . I over a period of time I ve owned a lancer , 2 Pajeros and a Montero . The sport is next on my list . I am grateful for your kind comments. I feel extremely happy that someone understood what I had to say.

Wow great so we're on similar lines here. I can tell you one thing. My lancer came in when I was a kid and that was in the year 2000. My dad loved it like it was one of us. Then he bought the pajero after seeing my Grandfathers and later my grandfather picked up a Montero out of the first 4 which came to chandigarh. These have never been purchases from the head. They've always been from the heart. We aren't the ones who ask Kitna deti hai ? Or service kitni mehengi hai ? Or we base our car purchase on the resale . We buy the vehicle because we are in love with the machine. I feel you certainly feel the same . My lancer which is 13 years old looks way better than the first gen Honda city . You know why ? The body shells been the same ! They're built to last and certainly don't give you of being a part of this use and throw generation . The feeling of a mitsubhishi is different . You don't get it until you get one . I have an Optra petrol much newer to this yet when it comes to maintenance the lancer is better . Sometimes the Optra is more expensive than the e class to service .

I have driven a friends Sport also to delhi and back the same day. I ve driven my Pajero chandigarh Srinagar non stop and I can vouch for one that I didn't want to stop ! Trips like this make you feel that your money is well spent ! Inshallah ( God willing ) the sport shall be new addition to the garage . It wonderful communicating with you . Hope you have many memories with the amazing car and my a mitsubhishi be its successor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post

Totally agree with you that it may be well worth for those 150 people. And I am not disputing the capability of Mitsu vehicles at all -- I have driven a lancer in my extended family, so know the pleasure. In this forum, members are mostly enthusiasts all of whom have only good things to say about Mitsu.

However, you have mentioned your experiences with the Chandigarh dealership -- I can tell you that is the exception. I got poor feedback about the Kolkata dealership from my relatives. I had called the sole Mitsu dealership in Delhi 3 weeks back, was supposed to get a call back, have not got it still. In my mind, there are already doubts -- if this is the attitude when they are selling a 22 L vehicle, then what about after sales?

Maybe they figured out that this is a customer with budget constraints just from my call!

Also, I agree with you that very rarely these days you need an unscheduled service intervention. In my 10 years of car ownership only twice I had to do something unplanned -- an accident in Jalna (Maharashtra) and a problem at Pathankot. But Maruti had dealers in both places (one capable - Pathankot; one not -- Jalna, but that is besides the point). But many people do consider the 5% chance of emergency intervention in their purchase decision.

I guess fundamentally, you are someone who is looking for exclusivity -- I am someone looking for a better deal and peace of mind. We are different customers.
Ok so we're kind of on the same page here .

Glad to hear that you someway are fond of them too!

Yes I agree it has to be an exception because I find it better than Toyota and I ve not seen a single person talking well of their A.S.S . We were in Darjeeling and we used to drive to Calcutta ( now Kolkatta ) specially to get our car serviced from Shah motors if I am not wrong . At that time there were 2 lancers there . One with the governor and the other with us so service in Siliguri or Darjeeling was an impossibility . But now things have changed. The problem with the cal workshop was that . That's one city that is still dependent on Ambys not a bad thing but they haven't modernised with time and probably the working of theirs may still be old fashioned . See the london cabs . Same design yet modern from inside and under the hood. That's what Ambys should aim at. People like us won't even think of it as an option. Hindustan motors should give customer feedback top priority then maybe they can do better .

Yes if he wouldn't have called me back for 3 weeks it would have me hopping mad too ! I had the experience when I w

Countinued (I accidentally pressed send on the iPhone app ) Ok I had a similar experience with toyota when I had to buy the fortuner. It left a bitter taste in my mouth yet because my innova is such a workhorse I thought. This is double the money has to be better ! Funny thought still . I overcame the ego and went and booked it. Then the accessory call really put me off !

Yes I agree on the last exclusivity part. But none of my mitsubhishis have ever given me lesser peace of mind then my toyotas. Cheaper to maintain are the toyotas but peace of mind is equal maybe for me with mitsu because of how the vehicles have performed on offroad excursions or my Srinagar trip. Engine failure is something I haven't seen ( touchwood ). If its a case of an accident I feel the vehicle has to be towed to the dealership ( sometimes insurances handle that too ) so I still wouldn't doubt the peace of mind part.

I know you love your cars and I think it's wonderful that you do ! Customers have to be different to select driffernt cars and colours otherwise it would all get too monotonous . My issue with the innova still remains it checks a lot of boxes with all of us . Good thing for toyota .

Best wishes
Imran


Moderator's Note: Do not make so many back to back posts. This is considered spamming. Use the Multiquote option to respond to multiple people.

All your back to back posts have been merged.
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 20:48   #22
BHPian
 
suv100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calicut
Posts: 125
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran Ahmad Ali View Post
Ok here goes . Well The second generation you are talking about is the Glx variant which was launched in india first yes that is 22 years old internationally and changed to the wider fender version ( Sfx in india ) roughly 15 years back . So the Sfx is 15 not 20. Minor change I hope you don't mind. Since you specifically mentioned the Sfx so I thought it might be of consequence . Innova - Well apart from the 2012 facelift that came with a touchscreen music system or maybe the climate control . I can't think of any useful feature that the pajero lacks . On the contrary the pajero comes with leather seats which the innova lacks . Alloys check , Abs check , airbags check , roof mounted Ac check . What else ? Well certainly nothing wrong for us right ?. Ok the " Premium brand " concept may vary from state to state. In our part of the country a pajero has the brand image because of the fact that 10 years back every big shot was seen in a pajero . Probably like a mercedes was seen . Till date that brand image exists for most of the people I know. Even of they have GLs or Range Rovers the Pajero still brings a smile when discussed , When mitsubhishi came with both the pajeros they were Pajero 2.8 and Pajero 3.2 later renamed Montero. The problem see was both vehicles had the same name , although different segments yet the cheaper vehicle ate into the sales of the bigger one !
Similarly when you can get a pajero for 15 why would you pay 23 for the same named vehicle ?. Worth is defined and perceived to different individuals differently.
I hope my post isn't offensive in any manner . We might have contradictory opinions good that we get each others side of the story.
Regards
Imran



Imran
I just can't agree with you when you say that one vehicle will eat into the sales of another vehicle just because they are named similarly. Do you think the sale of the Landcruiser is affected by the Landcruiser Prado? The Sport and the SFX are two different vehicles and just because the SFX is priced at 15L doesn't mean it will cannibalize the Pajero Sport. You were right when you said every big shot was seen in a Pajero 10 years back but how many can you see in a Mitsu nowadays?

Sad to say, Mitsubishi hasn't been able to maintain that brand image in India. If they had they would have been selling in the thousands, not in the hundreds.
suv100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 22:47   #23
BHPian
 
Imran Ahmad Ali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 68
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post

I just can't agree with you when you say that one vehicle will eat into the sales of another vehicle just because they are named similarly. Do you think the sale of the Landcruiser is affected by the Landcruiser Prado? The Sport and the SFX are two different vehicles and just because the SFX is priced at 15L doesn't mean it will cannibalize the Pajero Sport. You were right when you said every big shot was seen in a Pajero 10 years back but how many can you see in a Mitsu nowadays?

Sad to say, Mitsubishi hasn't been able to maintain that brand image in India. If they had they would have been selling in the thousands, not in the hundreds.
Well that is what happened here. You aren't understanding my point . Why did Toyota stop the qualis when it was doing well enough when the innova came ? Till you don't phase out an older product most don't risk it !

A mistake they committed with the lancer and cedia ! Isn't there a difference between the costs ? The Montero when we picked it up was 32 ex showroom ! And Pajero was 19 . Do 12-13 Lakhs difference for the same named car ! Here the Prado is 50 odd and the LC is 1. These are different segments all together .

I don't know the things in your place of residence but here even if the CM of punjab has a land cruiser in his convoy he still has his Monteros ! Big shots still have Monteros / Pajeros . Fortuners are there yet I remember when the Punjab govt picked up 40 each ! Big shots here still are seen in mitsubhishis !

No one is more conscious than in punjab and Haryana about brand image ! It's a company that ll do well . People take the chance and are happy with the decision they took . So if we are sick of monotonous purchases then they ll start with the numbers .

Imran
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 06:03   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV

A classic example is the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, the last time she was in power, her ride was a Tata Sierra, she swore by it, and now that she is back in power after a decade, she gets driven in the Montero! I was very curious as to what her choice of vehicle would be, she picked the Mitsubishi. Not sounding racist, I feel south Asian folk have a soft corner for Mitsubishi, be in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and South India, the Gulf also to some extent
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 21:06   #25
BHPian
 
suv100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calicut
Posts: 125
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran Ahmad Ali View Post
Well that is what happened here. You aren't understanding my point . Why did Toyota stop the qualis when it was doing well enough when the innova came ? Till you don't phase out an older product most don't risk it !

A mistake they committed with the lancer and cedia ! Isn't there a difference between the costs ? The Montero when we picked it up was 32 ex showroom ! And Pajero was 19 . Do 12-13 Lakhs difference for the same named car ! Here the Prado is 50 odd and the LC is 1. These are different segments all together .

I don't know the things in your place of residence but here even if the CM of punjab has a land cruiser in his convoy he still has his Monteros ! Big shots still have Monteros / Pajeros . Fortuners are there yet I remember when the Punjab govt picked up 40 each ! Big shots here still are seen in mitsubhishis !

No one is more conscious than in punjab and Haryana about brand image ! It's a company that ll do well . People take the chance and are happy with the decision they took . So if we are sick of monotonous purchases then they ll start with the numbers .

Imran
Are you saying that if the Montero was named as the Pajero 3.2 you would not have bought it at all? And I think a price difference of 12-13L is nothing minor at all.
The Qualis was stopped mainly because of the 'Taxi Cab' tag associated with it. In China Toyota still sells the old gen corolla together with the new Altis. The old Gen Corolla even got a face lift recently.
I accept the fact that Pajero still holds a Premium brand image in Punjab. But that is not the case elsewhere in India. Mitsubishi cannot survive just by catering to markets like Punjab, Haryana or Delhi. They have to bring in the numbers if they have to survive in India.
suv100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 22:03   #26
BHPian
 
Imran Ahmad Ali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 68
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post

Are you saying that if the Montero was named as the Pajero 3.2 you would not have bought it at all? And I think a price difference of 12-13L is nothing minor at all.
The Qualis was stopped mainly because of the 'Taxi Cab' tag associated with it. In China Toyota still sells the old gen corolla together with the new Altis. The old Gen Corolla even got a face lift recently.
I accept the fact that Pajero still holds a Premium brand image in Punjab. But that is not the case elsewhere in India. Mitsubishi cannot survive just by catering to markets like Punjab, Haryana or Delhi. They have to bring in the numbers if they have to survive in India.
So we have an example of Tamil Nadu above us ^ . Well maybe not . The older generation I didn't like the dashboard much since we already had a Pajero I didn't see the sense . Maybe at a subconscious level the Montero made me judge the vehicle all together again.! I never bought the 3.2 rather mine was one of the first 4 that came . A price difference of 12-13 and more than 40 is different for me atleast !

Toyota knows their products in this segment do well . They may say what they say but the innova is again branded as a taxi due to its popularity. So they should've changed it a few years back ? It's been here since 2005. They pull a product out before its sales drop to an alarming level. We know the innova replacement isn't far ! China is a different market all together . BMW continues to sell the x5 when there's a company that has copied one and sells it !

I personally speak for Punjab and Haryana . Similar people in both the states since it originally was one state. They do 5000 units or not I can gurantee one thing for sure it won't affect my purchase for sure

Best regards
Imran
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 13:06   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,556 Times
Default All-new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport lined up for 2015

Link to News Section

Modern day pick up truck platforms enjoy long product life cycles mainly due to the utility bent of these vehicles. Also, since the body-on-ladder frames underpinning most pick up trucks see few changes barring the occasional weight reduction effort, pick up trucks sold by most brands continue to motor on with cosmetic facelifts and improved engines, making for longer life cycles.

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV-2013-mitsubishi-pajero-sport-suv-1.jpg

Note: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport images used in this report are illustrative in nature.

For instance, the latest generation Toyota Hilux platform has been around for 8 years now and so has the Mitsubishi Triton pick up truck. Both the Toyota Hilux and the Mitsubishi Triton platforms has spawned SUVs such as the Fortuner and the Pajero Sport respectively. In India, both these SUVs are direct competitors.

With Mitsubishi struggling in car markets across the globe on the back of falling sales, the Japanese automaker has come up with a three year turn around plan centered on utility vehicles and electric cars. A major cog of this turnaround plan includes a brand new Triton pick up truck platform, which will also result in an all-new Pajero Sport SUV come 2015.

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV-2013-mitsubishi-pajero-sport-suv-2.jpg

Mitsubishi, which is in a joint venture with Hindustan Motors in the Indian car market, has been reduced to a one-product company here. Apart from the Pajero Sport, the Japanese automaker does not sell any other car in India. So, any update to the Pajero Sport internationally is likely to be implemented on the India-spec model.

In that light, the 2015 Pajero Sport would be sold in India as well if Mitsubishi stays on in this part of the world. For now, Mitsubishi's plans for the Indian market remain uncertain even as the brand has tied up with Renault-Nissan globally, for sharing sedans and electric vehicles.

The Pajero Sport SUV that Mitsubishi sells in India is a 7 seater. The SUV is powered by a 2.5 liter turbo diesel engine that outputs 178 Bhp of peak power and 400 Nm of peak torque. This engine is mated to a 5 speed manual gearbox that drives a four wheel drive system. The Pajero Sport is assembled at Hindustan Motors' Tiruvallur factory through the completely knocked down (CKD) kit route.

Source AutoNews

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 7th November 2013 at 13:08. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 09:12   #28
BHPian
 
Neel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 166
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV

Bumping up this thread to see for any recent updates/driver experience (any Bangalore owners?). Is it still a good buy? Is there an upgrade expected in 2015?
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:31   #29
BHPian
 
anshuman_v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: India
Posts: 209
Thanked: 384 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV

Neel, the following thread has updates from Bangalore owners of the Sport.. you should take a look.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...r-upgrade.html (Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A Super Upgrade)
anshuman_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:16   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,306
Thanked: 23,875 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport "Anniversary Edition" SUV

Mitsubishi has launched a the Pajero Sport Limited Edition in India. Priced at Rs. 23.99 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi), it features some cosmetic changes and additional equipment.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport! *UPDATE* Price reduced to 22.56 Lakh! gaurav_chopra04 The Indian Car Scene 329 30th January 2016 19:10
Indica Vista Anniversary Edition - Second Edition (Pics on Page 2) akhilesh51 The Indian Car Scene 113 29th September 2010 12:28
Swift Sport Anniversary Edition Zahir The International Automotive Scene 12 23rd March 2009 22:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks