Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd January 2014, 22:10   #121
BHPian

Default re: The Fiat Linea Facelift, bookings open now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
More than the cosmetic upgrades, I am interested to see if the additional safety features available in other markets like Turkey will be made available in India as well - Airbags all around, ESP, Traction Control, Hill hold assist etc.
Doubtful. According to someone in the know, although specs are yet to be frozen, all - round airbags may not make it to the list, as again its a trade-off between cost & spec. This is all the more so because FIAT is keen to price the vehicle at a marginally higher price than the existing one. Hence too much spec addition will play truant with the targetted price.
Upgraded ICE, Cruise control etc are being talked about. The same person also says that the new front end module is no great shakes - actually the present one looks better and more stylish - apparently the new one leans more towards the styling of some of FIAT's Oriental competitors!
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 03:40   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
More than the cosmetic upgrades, I am interested to see if the additional safety features available in other markets like Turkey will be made available in India as well - Airbags all around, ESP, Traction Control, Hill hold assist etc.

Dear Boy.
Turkey is an European country now, by the 'skin of its teeth'.
India is a third world dump where only 'cost' matters. Safety is treated as 'passe' and life is certainly comsidered cheap.
No way India is going to be treated the same way as Turkey in terms of 'safety features' availability on model variants of Fiat!
Old 3rd January 2014, 06:44   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

I am never driving in one seating position. I keep changing it. I also find that I don't rest my back on the seat back fully and my head is a little far off from the head rest. This has to do with the seat contour. I am not saying its uncomfortable. I like my legs a little stretched out if not fully but if I try that, I am too far from the steering.

Exactly the same problem I have in my Punto. I am 5'10" and weigh 90 kgs. You do get used to it and over time it stops being uncomfortable, but never the most comfortable. Problem for me too is that stretching the legs is not a possibility.

Coming to the topic, on a recent drive to Aurangabad from Pune, I came across two camouflaged Lineas being tested on roads near Ranjangaon. Sorry that I couldn't take any pictures.
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:20   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
The same person also says that the new front end module is no great shakes - actually the present one looks better and more stylish - apparently the new one leans more towards the styling of some of FIAT's Oriental competitors!
Yes, the exterior styling, especially the front looks pretty neutral in the pictures. Surprising because the Linea is not on sale in those strong Oriental markets. Hope they have improved on the interiors.

Any information on the launch schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dear Boy.
Turkey is an European country now, by the 'skin of its teeth'.
India is a third world dump where only 'cost' matters. Safety is treated as 'passe' and life is certainly comsidered cheap.
No way India is going to be treated the same way as Turkey in terms of 'safety features' availability on model variants of Fiat!
True, but Linea is a model which is sold only in a few markets, and hence the thought that they may look to keep it uniform across its markets.
Albeit they have just two low-volume models, Fiat have been continuously improving on their two models in India. I think Linea is the only model in its segment to have disc brakes all-around, 16” alloys etc. Hope they’ll improve on this further with the latest update of the Linea.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:24   #125
BHPian

Why do I feel that FIAT is going do a pretty uninspiring job with the face lift! I'd love to be proved otherwise.

The Linea has a lot of catching up to do with its other EU counterparts i.e. Vento/Rapid twins. Bigger and better sorted engine for starters, along with better built interiors is must which FIAT really really needs to address at this point. Else, they may loose whatever little market of enthusiasts that is leftover as well.

EDIT:

The new Linea may look like the new Linea in Turkey after all.
Name:  03.jpg
Views: 3623
Size:  196.6 KB

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 4047
Size:  47.2 KB

Last edited by praful : 3rd January 2014 at 09:29.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:47   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

For all the facelift is supposed to look like the ones sold in Turkey. The interiors are updated to the one similar in Punto Evo. However, the exteriors should have been left alone. The timeless look is now gone with the stupid exterior update.

The glitches/shortfalls in the current one;

1. First and Foremost, the 1.6 MJD is a must for Linea
2. Interior fit and finish
3. Crappy Audio Quality
4. No bottle holders at all in the car
5. Inconsistent quality of rubber parts.

Fixing all these and with sensible pricing, I dont see a reason why Linea cant sell atleast 500 units a month which again is nothing to write home about.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:00   #127
Senior - BHPian

Honestly speaking, I don't know how much of a difference this 'facelift' is going to make. The average aam aadmi buyer will hardly be able to make out any difference between the current Linea and this upcoming Linea. It is visibly the same car on the outside, with maybe better interiors, a different alloy wheel design and a now hideous looking front. This certainly doesn't deserve an 'all new Linea' tag in my opinion. Unless they bring in some better engine options and even (automatic) transmission options, I don't foresee a remarkable change in the sales charts.

They have so many nice engines, variants and even dualogic automatic options overseas. I wonder why they cannot bring in something from their European arsenal into India. Almost feels like Fiat India really worships lethargy at any cost. I'm curious to see what their showcase line-up will be at next month's Auto Expo in NCR.

Me thinks a diesel automatic Linea priced properly, would have really seen results on the sales charts, and a nicely tuned diesel automatic Punto would have been apt for the urban commuter segment. There is a huge opportunity in both these segments which they could have made use of, had they been proactive.

The Linea 1.3/1.6 MultiJet Dualogic is already up and selling in some of their middle east and European markets if I'm not mistaken. Considering Verna with the 4 speed auto box is perhaps the only diesel auto option right now in the C segment, the Linea M-Jet DL could have done really well.

Last edited by KarthikK : 3rd January 2014 at 11:11.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:11   #128
Senior - BHPian

They need to make sure that they remove all the negative points from the current Linea. My wishlist for new Linea will be :

1 Better leg room for rear passengers - Its a must. In that category its less compared to other cars like City, Verna etc. People love space for sure.
2 Better quality interiors - Again its a must for them. Current Linea lacks appeal in terms of interiors compared to the competition. It should have quality interiors with some Gizmos like Music player with USB, AUX etc, reverse parking camera, blue tooth connectivity, ACC etc.
3 1.6 Multijet Engine - If they want to succeed, then they need to go ahead of the competition. 1.6 will be ahead in competition compared to others like City, Verna, Sunny etc.
4 Aggressive marketing - People should know about the product, repeatedly, then only it will sell. As simple as that. Once anything is in front of you repeatedly, you will get attracted towards it, start liking it. Simple marketing trick.

Hope most of above are in upcoming Linea. I am preparing myself financially to buy one for me later this year. Please don't disappoint me Fiat
Old 24th February 2014, 11:39   #129
Senior - BHPian

Going by the Fiat India website, bookings for the 2014 Fiat Linea facelift are now open. One can book the 2014 facelift version of the Linea for a booking amount of Rs. 50,000. The car is expected to be launched on 4th of March.

The Fiat Linea Facelift, bookings open now-24dsc_3751.jpg

Expected Ex-Showroom Delhi prices for the Linea facelift: (Shared by Fiat Caffe New Delhi)
  • 2014 Fiat Linea Active T-Jet – INR 7.75 lakhs
  • 2014 Fiat Linea Dynamic T-Jet – INR 8.75 lakhs
  • 2014 Fiat Linea Emotion T-Jet – INR 9.25 lakhs
  • 2014 Fiat Linea Active Multijet – INR 8.25 lakhs
  • 2014 Fiat Linea Dynamic Multijet – INR 9.50 lakhs
  • 2014 Fiat Linea Emotion Multijet – INR 10.00 lakhs

Link to news article.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th February 2014 at 13:39.
parrys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 11:50   #130
BHPian

Pricing seems to be spot-on. Hope they'll have a better sales this time around.
Old 24th February 2014, 12:07   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

I think now Mods can remove the 1.6L MJD part from the title. It gives a lot of hope still, everytime I see the thread title. It's confirmed that 1.6L is NOT launched in the facelift.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 12:22   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think now Mods can remove the 1.6L MJD part from the title. It gives a lot of hope still, everytime I see the thread title. It's confirmed that 1.6L is NOT launched in the facelift.
True. The mods can actually lock this thread as the 1.6 MJD is not coming in the near future.
Old 24th February 2014, 14:13   #133

I love the fact that they've removed the old petrol model altogether and introduced T-jet models as the only petrol options. Good move from Fiat.
pratyush. is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 15:12   #134
BHPian

Just went through the specifications. Fiat has truly loaded the car with features and even the one's in the base variant are good. But I hoped that Fiat will go the VW way and provide airbags on all versions. The features along with the killer looks surely makes the Linea one of the best cars in the segment.
Old 25th February 2014, 17:21   #135
BHPian

Default Re: The Fiat Linea Facelift, bookings open now

Did a test drive of Fiat Linea T-Jet few days back. Let me tell you all that this car is a rocket on wheels. Even though i am driving a Ritz VDI but Multijet version did not excite me. Most probably this could be due to the overall weight of car.

People laugh at me when i tell them that i love Fiat T-Jet. They will never understand what is a Fiat. I really wish that i buy her immediately. Any driving enthusiast will love her for her performance. One thing that is holding me back is the service, cost and availability of spares and customer service attitude of Fiat. Although we have many T-Jet owners on this forum, would request them to please guide me on the real cost of ownership after about 2-3 years and if there are any real issues which would be a deciding factor for myself and other linea Fans.
Closed Thread