Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd July 2013, 10:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs

Note from Mod: Thread closed. Please continue the discussion in this thread.

The Maruti Wagon R Stingray was recently spotted undergoing a photo shoot.

WagonR Stingray (caught on camera during an official photoshoot), the car looks bold upfront with wraparound headlamps and a chrome front grill, much like the Stingray available in Japan. A source close to the company also said that the Stingray gets a pair of projector headlamps that breaks the usual monotony of halogen headlamps in hatchbacks and makes the car look modern

Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-marutiwagonrstingray.jpg

The side profile of the car remains the same, but there could be different looking alloy wheels on offer. Towards the rear, the Stingray gets reworked taillights with clear lens.
On the inside, the Stingray is sportier than the current WagonR and will get all black interiors with blue backlit speedometer.

The Stingray is expected to cost about INR 20,000-30,000 more than the equivalent Wagon R. Maruti may be looking for a festive season launch, maybe the months of October/November is when you could expect to see the Stingray.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/07/m...ay-spied-88618

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2013 at 17:56. Reason: Adding closing note
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:25   #2
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs

Are we sure this is getting launched? At first i thought here comes another wagon R with a couple of stickers pasted on and a limited edition badge but no.. I just love what they have done to the wagon R.

But then, an increase of 30k for such a product seems to be too low. And projectors? Wow !!! That is from many many segments above.

Which is why i have my own doubts regarding the veracity of this great piece of news. This if launched could see a slew of features being added to the current crop of staid hatches.
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:22   #3
BHPian

The wagon r is turning into a stylish in-your-face hatchback, and is leaving its dated image. This one looks good, waiting for peek into the interiors, and what if this one gets a diesel. :clap clap
but I doubt its Indian launch. Many vehicles get spied being tested because India also exports many cars.
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:40   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The projector could just be halogen ones and not HID ones . I am sure same will be the case .
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Maruti WagonR Sting Ray: Details Inside

Link to News Section

Maruti Suzuki is expected to launch the WagonR Sting Ray in the next couple of months, according to an earlier report carried by IndianCarsBikes. Now, a new spyshot of the car has emerged, with the Sting Ray in a supposed photo shoot. Normally, a photo shoot of car in studio settings happens before its launch. So, a market launch of the car seems to be impending.

Name:  Maruti Suzuki Sting Ray 2.jpg
Views: 31672
Size:  44.9 KB

The Sting Ray variant is a sharper looking model in the WagonR line, sold primarily in the Japanese domestic market. The car was showcased in concept form earlier this year, at the Tokyo Auto Salon. Compared with the concept version, the production version of the Sting Ray concept seems to be toned down, with the bumpers raised by a few inches.

Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs-maruti-suzuki-sting-ray-1.jpg

However, the production version does seem to retain the projector-style headlamps, front grille and side skirts of the concept version. Also, the alloy wheels get a new design. At the rear, the tail lamps get a once over, along with a new bumper. According to CarSizzlers, the insides of the WagonR Sting Ray could get an all-black look, in keeping with the overall sporty theme of the car.

Name:  Maruti Suzuki Sting Ray 3.jpg
Views: 64993
Size:  27.6 KB

The 1 liter-3 cylinder K-Series petrol engine is expected to be retained on the Sting Ray model. On the WagonR, this motor comes with power and torque outputs of 67 Bhp and 90 Nm respectively. This engine is mated to a 5 speed manual gearbox as standard. Currently, Maruti Suzuki does not offer an automatic gearbox option on the India-spec WagonR although the international versions do get the option of a CVT automatic gearbox.

Name:  Maruti Suzuki Sting Ray 4.jpg
Views: 50718
Size:  25.9 KB

The WagonR is a hatchback that features tall boy styling and a 60:40 seat split. Known for its easy ingress and egress, the car is particularly suitable for elders. The car was first launched in India during the winter of 1999, as a competitor to the Hyundai Santro. Ever since, the car has gotten numerous upgrades in terms of mechanicals, features and styling. Apart from its standard petrol engine, the car is available with petrol-LPG and petrol-CNG dual fuel options.

All said, it remains is unclear as to whether the WagonR Sting Ray will be sold alongside the current model or whether it will serve as a replacement model. As the Sting Ray has reached the photo shoot stage, it will just be a matter of time before the car is launched in the Indian market. So, more details about this car could surface in the coming weeks.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 23rd July 2013 at 13:33. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems both models will co-exist for some time reports ACI.

Quote:
The WagonR Stingray will sit above the current WagonR. The carmaker has taken this initiative in order to draw back attention to the brand.
Stingray is speculated to be priced around Rs 40,000-50,000 more than the current WagonR when it hits the showrooms soon.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/350...-stingray.aspx
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:30   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti WagonR Sting Ray: Details Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Now, a new spyshot of the car has emerged, with the Sting Ray in a supposed photo shoot. Normally, a photo shoot of car in studio settings happens before its launch. So, a market launch of the car seems to be impending.
Attachment 1115554
My God! Whoever takes these pics is risking his job! This is inside the MSIL Design Studio in Gurgaon (which is the most confidential area inside MSIL Engineering!). Anyway, I think the launch is just around the corner. This should be a good alternative to the plain jane Wagon R IMO.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:09   #8
BHPian

I can visualize myself pimping up this car.
For once, a little bling, chrome alloys, low profile tyres, some fluorescent color, and black tints will suit a car in India.

A poor Rapper's ride

Like this design a lot, although I am not a fan of tallboys at all.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice upgrade but curiously the Stingray headlamps reminds me of the Safari Storme wrap lights. But this will become a perfect car to bling it, if they launch that purple color of the earlier Estilo it might be a hit with the ladies.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Will this be launched with the 1.2 vvti K12M engine, is anyones guess. If they do, will overlook the misuse of the "stingray" moniker!
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Stingray is definitely a much better looking package than the stock car at least from the front end. Some how the blue eyed current Wagon seemed a little out of proportion with a stretched boxy look. With the Stingray, the front seems to be much more proportionate with the sleek and modern headlamps. Would give it a

With both the variants available side by side it would be interesting to see if the earlier variant is cannibalised by the new one or if it will actually add up and sell in even higher numbers. If so it would actually draw crowd from other tall boys especially the ageing Santro and i10.
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:58   #12
BHPian

Looks nice from the front, but the rear looks a bit too boring. The hatch door should see something more, like the current WagonR's chrome plate. The registration plate should also be up there on the hatch door.

Projectors are a big big welcome and hope this gets the interiors like we have seen in the swift.

On the other side, I don't know why this upgrade. The wagonR was face-lifted some time ago, it is selling hot, the current gen is just about 3 years old, so why upgrade.

I feel, this should sell alongside and be a sportier model offered with the 1.4 from the Ertiga. An auto would do wonders. Can I ask for a diesel as well?
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Will this be launched with the 1.2 vvti K12M engine, is anyones guess. If they do, will overlook the misuse of the "stingray" moniker!
I would say, don't expect anything like that.

It is going to come with the same engine - only different looks - inside out, and more equipment.
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Very unlikely that the current WagonR will be discontinued. No one in their right mind would facelift a car they are about to discontinue. The Stingray should sit higher than the current WagonR. Afterall , it the same shell, just a facelift - a great job at that. Hope they bring back the passenger side airbag they discontinued on the Vxi.
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Looks chic. Never like previous Wagons much but this one sure is one hell of a looker. Front looks like a mini Safari Storme.
Closed Thread