Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th August 2013, 18:18   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Cars of CEOs / Senior Employees of Multinational Companies : Rules & Restrictions

I remember once following an S-class in Bangalore just to admire its beauty. There was one of those older CEO types seated in the back (desi) with what looked like a well paid driver.

The driver was driving sooo slow (like 40-50 kph on fairly open roads) that I got fed up and zoomed off

Last edited by Mpower : 19th August 2013 at 19:47.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 19:28   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I remember once following an S-class ...
The driver was driving sooo slow (like 40-50 kph on open roads)
Do any of you realize HOW tough it is to drive a high-end car at 40-50 kph on an open road?
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:08   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Cars of CEOs / Senior Employees of Multinational Companies : Rules & Restrictions

Foreign honcho gets taken on Rs 10,000 ride by airport cabbie duo.

Gary Steel, head of HR and member of the group executive Committee of ABB Ltd, Switzerland, who is also Chairman of the board, ABB India, landed at Bengaluru International Airport by a British Airways flight at 5.40 am on August 8. Coming out of the airport, he could not spot the company driver who was supposed to receive him and decided to take a cab. But instead of heading for the authorised taxi service counter, he allowed himself to be sweet-talked by Ahmed into boarding his yellow-board cab.

Steel told Ahmed he had to go to the ABB guest house (a distance of 32 km from the airport), and the latter effusively assured him that he knew the place. But just before the trumpet inter-change two km from the airport, near Mantri Circle, he changed his tune, saying the journey would cost Steel Rs 10,000 and insisting on being paid the full amount in advance. Or else, he said, he would make Steel alight. Left with no choice, the ABB honcho paid him the amount in the Indian currency he was carrying from London.

Source : http://www.bangaloremirror.com/index...309106433227ba

Wonder why he did not call any local contact when he did not spot the company car?
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:37   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The driver was driving sooo slow (like 40-50 kph on fairly open roads) that I got fed up and zoomed off
That kind of discipline, to drive a S-class so sedately, can only come from special training. I recall the TCS (Bangalore) driver in the 90s. He used to drive the head of TCS Bangalore in a Tata Estate. He could effortlessly park it along the wall with only inch of clearance. I just thought he was a great driver, never realised it could be result of special training. Just realised I actually know a driver who used to drive chairman of a nationalized bank in the 80s. Gotta ask him what kind of training existed in those days.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 23:49   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Foreign honcho gets taken on Rs 10,000 ride by airport cabbie duo.

Gary Steel, head of HR and member of the group executive Committee of ABB Ltd, Switzerland, who is also Chairman of the board, ABB India, landed at Bengaluru International Airport by a British Airways flight at 5.40 am on August 8. Coming out of the airport, he could not spot the company driver who was supposed to receive him and decided to take a cab. But instead of heading for the authorised taxi service counter, he allowed himself to be sweet-talked by Ahmed into boarding his yellow-board cab.

Steel told Ahmed he had to go to the ABB guest house (a distance of 32 km from the airport), and the latter effusively assured him that he knew the place. But just before the trumpet inter-change two km from the airport, near Mantri Circle, he changed his tune, saying the journey would cost Steel Rs 10,000 and insisting on being paid the full amount in advance. Or else, he said, he would make Steel alight. Left with no choice, the ABB honcho paid him the amount in the Indian currency he was carrying from London.

Source : http://www.bangaloremirror.com/index...309106433227ba

Wonder why he did not call any local contact when he did not spot the company car?
This is no isolated incident. We had an internal communication within Unilever where a similar incident happened at Chennai and certain key changes were made in guidelines for UL employees travelling.

All expat employees are not allowed to drive in certain countries labelled "not safe to drive" and India is one of those. So even a mgr is given a chauffer driven car for the entire duration of expat stay.
Hells Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 23:51   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

One ultra-safety-conscious multi-national has now come up with an order for all its employees to either use dipped headlamps compulsorily at all times, or install DRLs.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 07:09   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
One ultra-safety-conscious multi-national has now come up with an order for all its employees to either use dipped headlamps compulsorily at all times, or install DRLs.
Using dipped headlamps at all time is compulsory in several European countries and advisable in most. On Volvo sold in these countries you can not switch them off!
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 09:19   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
And how will they monitor this? I can understand enforcing for company owned cars but not for prviately wned ones.

i have DRL's and keep my headlights on auto. The number of people who are so distracted telling me to switch my headlights is a bigger safety issue
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 11:42   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
And how will they monitor this?
The number of people who are so distracted telling me to switch my headlights is a bigger safety issue
One would hope not to be caught by the big boss while driving on the road without lights during the daytime! My friend has installed DRLs and that solves his problem.

Indeed, it is a pain to handle conscientious people on the roads who would constantly tell you to turn off your lights - be it in a car, on a motorcycle, or even worse, on a bicycle! Some would actually wave me down and force me to stop, to tell me that my bicycle light is on!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 11:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

I also think it comes to a large degree from sheer discipline rules and a bit of fear of the big boss. Going from what i have seen many of these guys get told off the minute they do something wrong , these are cushy jobs and they dont want to loose them so they behave. Companies for example give out Education scholarships , PF to their drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That kind of discipline, to drive a S-class so sedately, can only come from special training. I recall the TCS (Bangalore) driver in the 90s. He used to drive the head of TCS Bangalore in a Tata Estate. He could effortlessly park it along the wall with only inch of clearance
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 11:49   #86
BHPian

I don't get the logic of DRL's in India, I do understand that you might need them on a few occasions during the colder months especially in the northern parts of the country. However having them on at all times in a country with abundant sunshine makes little sense. In my opinion the big 3 from Germany are partly responsible for this DRL craze!!

Last edited by maglev : 25th November 2013 at 11:51.
maglev is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 08:05   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

The logic of DRL outside the Scandinavian countries has been a long standing debate. You will find many reports claiming it does increase road safety and others claiming it only improves marginally. All to do with how much natural sun light there is in a particular nation.

I seem to recall that the Netherlands did investigate this as well and found it did improve road safety. Especially on long stretches of open road. I'm not sure what the role of the Three Germans has been. But in Europe this legislation has been introduced many years before we saw all these fancy LED DRL. It was just done with your regular lights.

There has also and still is a different school of thought that opposes DRL on the basis of environmental concerns. Be it a LED or something else it still saps power from your engine of course.

I always drive with my lights on myself

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 09:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

I always drive with my lights on myself

Jeroen
Do you also ride with your lights on?
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 10:56   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Do you also ride with your lights on?
Sort off, the electrics on my bike are a bit wonky! But, definitely when riding in a group we always keep our lights on.

In most of Europe you will find that almost all bikers ride during the daim with main beams on. Just to get noticed.

in fact as part of the debate on DRL the bikers were never in favour of cars running with their lights on. They wanted the bikes only to have their lights on, so they could be noticed more easily.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 17:43   #90
BHPian

Bumping this thread to add that in Canada it's mandatory to use DRLs in the daytime. Not your normal headlights, which are linked to your rear lights. The fines for violations are pretty steep, so it makes more sense to obey the rules.
Also, in Sweden, fines are directly proportional to your income, which is why violations are more the exception rather than the norm.
FarPatel is offline   Reply With Quote