Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 3rd September 2014, 10:51   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

She is a good looking car no doubt , but good looking with 16 inchers and the projectors playing quite a role there , lets see what some of the lower variants look like , i hope they dont put really tiny wheels resulting in massive gaps in that area.

I really like the interiors but having owned many Maruti products over the years i would be keen on seeing the quality of the build and the materials. I definitely would assume that they would have done quite a bit if this is going to be the car which identifies Maruti with premium cars - the design is there and it give's that vibe, hopefully the materials will remain to the aesthetics as well

Angled front view really makes this car stand out.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:52   #1007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Also does anyone have any information on the rear brakes is it Disc or Drum?
Drum.

Should be quite sufficient given the performance on offer! Even the 128ps Hyundai Verna diesel comes with rear drum brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
She is a good looking car no doubt , but good looking with 16 inchers and the projectors playing quite a role there , lets see what some of the lower variants look like , i hope they dont put really tiny wheels resulting in massive gaps in that area.
Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-dscn0122.jpg

As for the projectors, i read somewhere that they are standard across the range.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd September 2014 at 11:00.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:55   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Damn! Now i'm split between the ZDI+ and ZXI+ (auto will be good to have!). Driver driving it most of the time with 15k kms/year of running so petrol (auto?) makes so much sense but reading the reviews, the DDiS is definitely more fun to drive. I was thinking of driving the Ecosport and the Ciaz alternate days to work (70kms/day).

The SA said the price differential is 1.7lacs on the top ends so thats massive!
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:01   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
It's not a revolutionary step by Maruti unlike Tata for the Zest
Trust me, even in small city like Kozhikode people are talking.

I got a call yesterday from the Honda dealer after 10 days of a test drive. They wanted to know when am I buying. When I just mentioned about the Maruti Ciaz, he said, "Sir, we will give you a very good price"

But I really think that Maruti has missed a trick here. They should have offered this vehicle along with the bigger 1.5 diesel engine, which they are planning for the S-cross, that would just rocket sales.

At 1100kg, even with this new STECT as they are calling it, I hope its strong and can survive a hit.

Here in India where consumers are so fuel conscious, the 1.3 DDis will serve this vehicle for long. I expect long waiting periods. It will eat into Honda sales, decimate the Verna. Rapid and Vento will hold their ground because of their European genes. Tata zest will also suffer.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 3rd September 2014 at 11:04.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:06   #1010
BHPian

The price war in this segment will now heat up. If Maruti prices this right it will have the Honda chaps thinking. I always felt the Honda City prices were higher with lesser equipment levels. One thing that's going to be missed on the Ciaz is ESP....no idea why such few cars have it as an option when it can be life saving.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:17   #1011
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Invisible airbag marking on dashboard for Superior Aesthetics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
What is "invisible airbag marking" ? Is it weird that i want it? I know its going to be maruti talk for some pretty useless, basic thing, but still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
maybe they meant there will be no scar/mark from where the airbags will deploy.
I don't know about this, but isn't an airbag marking supposed to be very visible, so that people don't damage that portion inadvertently, or place something over it (such as anti-skid dashboard mat etc.)?

Isn't that the reason why every car has the airbag marking in places where the airbags are concealed?

Maybe they didn't mean this. I guess the marketing department meant to say the passenger airbag module does not have a separate enclosure for itself (like on the Celerio, for instance), and is integrated into the dashboard instead.

This may certainly be better from an aesthetic point of view, but would cost more to replace the entire dashboard (instead of the airbag module only), in case there is a deployment of the airbags.

Last edited by RSR : 3rd September 2014 at 11:20.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:20   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Again Autocar review says that the body is made of high tensile lightweight steel. So lightweight of the car doesn't mean its not safe. Likes of Bolero, Ambassador etc are too heavier vehicles but are they safe? German Audi A4 failed in small overlap crash test whereas lightweight Toyotas and Hondas passed the same test.

IMO we should give a halt to the build quality and safety aspects of the Ciaz until we get some substantial data which confirms the same.
Let us not argue for the heck of it. We aren't discussing antiques here. The point is that almost every car in the market today is made from the lightest weight high tensile strength steel and yet none is as lighter as the Ciaz, given its size and positioning. A lightweight steel isn't going to have the tensile strength and the weight of aluminium. It is always relative and I wonder if any manufacturer uses unprocessed steel in construction now a days. Even the new Hyundai i20 with a smaller 1.2 liter petrol engine is heavier than Ciaz. Something somewhere does not add up.
Either the weight is not what the spec sheet says or the safety has been compromised.
I agree though that to make fare assessment we need to have data which we do not have right now.
extreme_torque is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:25   #1013
BHPian

Guys - I am at Apra Auto, Gurgaon. They are not letting me book because I want to use Tata AIG as my insurance provider. They are saying that there are strict instructions from Maruti to not accept bookings if Maruti's own insurance through their tie ups is not used. Can anyone please confirm this urgently?

I think this should not be the case but I don't have other options - I am going out of town in the evening and don't have much time to do research on this.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:33   #1014
BHPian

Smile re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Today I booked a Zdi+ version with Surakshaa Car Care Bomanahalli. I booked there instead of regular dealers in Bangalore due to my good experience with them for last 6 years and also with Mr. Lokesh.

I have been informed that the launch date will be around 28th or 29th September and delivery will start within 10 days of launch.

I will decide the color after the launch. Also, I have kept open the option to switch to petrol. My average usage is ~ 8K kms per year.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:33   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Tata zest will also suffer.
Zest is in Dezire, Amaze segement so a Ciaz customer will look at Sunny,City,Rapid,Vento. On the contrary those who wants the Ciaz's features like projector headlamps touch screen with the same 90 bhp diesel engine for 3 laks less( assuming top end Ciaz at 10lak) will find Zest better value.

Last edited by damodar : 3rd September 2014 at 11:36.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:44   #1016
BHPian

Now here comes the hotstepper!
What a come back Maruti has made in these times. Badly needed!
But, did they miss out on the Rain-Sensing vipers and Auto-Headlamps?
Well, this ain't a big miss I guess; it can be an easy after-market upgrade.
Now is the actual time for some serious competetion for the other South Koreans' and Europeans' similar line-ups.

Way to go Maruti
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:52   #1017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I don't know about this, but isn't an airbag marking supposed to be very visible
When you say very visible, I suppose you dont want it to be an eyesore like this-

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-picture1.jpg
Source

I guess airbags marking will still be there on the Ciaz (Maruti markets each and every single item on their cars!), although the seperate grade plastics for that region might not be obvious.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:53   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Let us not argue for the heck of it. We aren't discussing antiques here. The point is that almost every car in the market today is made from the lightest weight high tensile strength steel and yet none is as lighter as the Ciaz, given its size and positioning. A lightweight steel isn't going to have the tensile strength and the weight of aluminium. It is always relative and I wonder if any manufacturer uses unprocessed steel in construction now a days. Even the new Hyundai i20 with a smaller 1.2 liter petrol engine is heavier than Ciaz. Something somewhere does not add up.
Either the weight is not what the spec sheet says or the safety has been compromised.
I agree though that to make fare assessment we need to have data which we do not have right now.
It would be wrong in my opinion to ascribe safety concern.
There are many type of materials available, and lets not forget the processing which might be altered from manufacturer to manufacturer. Even the tooling can affect the overall weight.
Verna Diesel has weight of 1191 KG (source : ACI) with a 1598cc diesel. Ciaz with 1248cc diesel has 1105 kg weight.
Verna Petrol weighs in at 1071 kg ( source : ACI )with a 1.6 petrol, Ciaz weighs in at 1010 with a small 1.4 petrol. K-series are known to be very light series of motors. Just for your info, dry weight of K10B is 47 kg, G10 was 70 kg.
Grand i10 is 1093 kg (Source : ACI)with a 3 cylinder 1120 cc diesel.
Corolla Altis lower end petrol weighs in at 1180 kg. with a 1.8 motor.
Ritz diesel has weight of 1125 KG ( Official website ) with a 1248cc diesel. So can we call Ritz significantly safer than Verna ?
Honda city diesel has weight of 1165 kg with a 1.5 ltr. diesel. Its just 40 kg more than much smaller ( and small engine powered ) Ritz. Can we say that Ritz is much safer than City ?

PS : The industry I work in, we have made changes to process tools and reduced cost. This is not a very new concept but is still evolving. A lot of research and study goes into this. Car's BIW ( Body-In-White ) is very very complex structure which undergoes a lot of very complex studies.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 3rd September 2014 at 12:04.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:54   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Guys - I am at Apra Auto, Gurgaon. They are not letting me book because I want to use Tata AIG as my insurance provider. They are saying that there are strict instructions from Maruti to not accept bookings if Maruti's own insurance through their tie ups is not used. Can anyone please confirm this urgently?

I think this should not be the case but I don't have other options - I am going out of town in the evening and don't have much time to do research on this.
Drop a mail to Maruti and have them confirm it. Which I am sure Maruti will not, so take it to the dealer and pull them up. This act of taking customers for a ride has to end. Is that the only Maruti showroom in your town? If not, chose some other dealer.
dass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:01   #1020
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
When you say very visible, I suppose you dont want it to be an eyesore like this
Whoa! I didn't know the driver airbag module itself was that obvious on the Duster.

By "airbag marking", I only meant the inscribed words like "AIRBAG", "SRS AIRBAG" etc.

One of these should indeed be present, for it's an absolute necessity. The module itself may be completely invisible/indistinguishable from the surrounding dashboard trim, as it already is in many cars.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread