Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th August 2013, 09:45   #16
BHPian

Default re: Can a 1 tonne sedan return 54.15 Kms to a liter?

The final GPS log at Navi Mumbai shows the following data:
Total kms: 984
Max speed: 102 kmph
Moving time: 20 hrs 41 min
Stopped time: 35 min
Average speed: 46 kmph

Statistically this means the top speed is an anomaly. Overall you were doing speeds between 50 to 60 kmph and just once to record on GPS, you went above 100.

Which is fine, but in such a run, where halt time is miniscule and run is on the highway, there should not be much difference between the top speed and average speed. e.g. If you had maintained speeds between 80 - 90 consistently throughout the run, the average would have been upwards of 60.

In fact, till the halfway mark of 457 kms, the top speed shows 73 kmph in GPS log.

This is not meant to undermine your effort, I really feel your Bangalore to Mumbai run was amazing, but I guess you just touched 100 once or twice to log it in GPS, that too in the expressway ghat section.
abeerbagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 09:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
I guess it is being purely assumed that the car was left in neutral on the ghats - let me assure you the case was a lot different. On a downhill, even with the car in gear, one can acheive great economies as we found out.
New age cars cut off fuel supply if the car's momentum is driving the transmission more than the engine, or coasting in gear which is discussed in detail elsewhere on the forum. This is more efficient than coasting in neutral. I use a lot of engine braking thus, just that I brush the brakes along with, to signal the traffic behind me that I'm slowing.

Personally, I despise those who despise FE. After all, this is what literally efficiency is all about. Everything, human or otherwise is measured in terms of efficiency these days, then why not the engine? So, this try is commendable in my view. Not that it should be attempted by everyone.

A few questions though:

Why Scala? Why not the Sunny?

What is the real mantra for the figures? An extra light right foot? Foresee stoppages and slow down in advance in order not to stop the car completely? Once stopped did you shut down the engine immediately?

I guess the glasses were rolled down. And the tire pressure kept up? Any other out of the normal driving like fuel additive etc etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Question is - if driven "normally + spiritedly" as one would usually do, what kind of fuel efficiency does the Scala return. Average both these figures and you'll probably come to a more realistic and believable figure. Users looking to purchase the most fuel efficient car can then take this figure as a definitive proof in their buying decision.
The problem with measuring FE for a spirited drive is that the 'spirit' is highly relative. So as measuring the FE in city conditions, as the traffic conditions can vary a lot from one drive to the other. This is why FE is best measured towards the highest achievable range.

Users should never take these experiments as a bench mark. I feel the ARAI rating is a good benchmark, at least in the case of diesels. And I'm pretty sure that other cars hovering near (or a bit less than) the ARAI figures of Scala could also achieve figures close to these.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 09:53   #18
BHPian

Aah, this borders on hypermiling at 128MPG (US) ! Incredible given that unlike Hypermilers, Bunny's team was driving with a full tank of fuel and bags in the boot, and no additional measures taken to increase aerodynamics on the car. I'm impressed by the Scala/Micra now !

But, in this day and age, shouldn't all vehicles be more fuel efficient? Why should one have to try this hard to achieve a decent FE figure?
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 10:09   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
New age cars cut off fuel supply if the car's momentum is driving the transmission more than the engine, or coasting in gear which is discussed in detail elsewhere on the forum.
Can you please explain this statement? I was under the impression fuel supply will be cut to idle rpm levels. However, coasting in neutral downhill should be more efficient (and dangerous, but let's forget it for now) due to the engine being cut-off from mechanical loses and braking?

Would like to read more on this.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 10:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Can you please explain this statement? I was under the impression fuel supply will be cut to idle rpm levels. However, coasting in neutral downhill should be more efficient (and dangerous, but let's forget it for now) due to the engine being cut-off from mechanical loses and braking?

Would like to read more on this.
On coasting-in-neutral, the engine uses fuel to idle where as while coasting-in-gear, the engine cuts off fuel (though spurts of fuel is supplied at times). There is a detailed thread on our forum. I found it interesting and went through all the pages. Please do read the links provided in this post.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 11:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

That's an awesome figure!

Best I could manage was 25KMPL during my drive from Bangalore to Kannur.

Mix of 4 lane highway, horrible 2 lane, good ghat section (descent) and excellent 2 lane. Apprx 20% time with AC ON . Filled Rs.1000 worth petrol (costed ~ 70/L then and fuel warning indicator was ON ) at the beginning of the drive.

Covered 335 KM and 15 KM in Kannur next day. Max speed during the journey was 80 and few KM crawling in first gear. No unneccessary hard breaking, no harsh/quick lane change and no quick accelleration.

Last edited by Latheesh : 9th August 2013 at 11:31.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 11:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

New age cars cut off fuel supply if the car's momentum is driving the transmission more than the engine, or coasting in gear which is discussed in detail elsewhere on the forum. This is more efficient than coasting in neutral. I use a lot of engine braking thus, just that I brush the brakes along with, to signal the traffic behind me that I'm slowing.

Personally, I despise those who despise FE. After all, this is what literally efficiency is all about. Everything, human or otherwise is measured in terms of efficiency these days, then why not the engine? So, this try is commendable in my view. Not that it should be attempted by everyone..
Your point one is interesting in ref the fuel cut off.

As for the point two, while FE is undoubtedly important, I would still put safety first, especially when driving in the hills, regardless of how expert or experienced or celebrated a driver I may be!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 11:58   #23
Team-BHP Support

54.15 kmpl is very impressive for street driving that is far from ideal test conditions. I once got around 22 kmpl on the e-way stretch by not exceeding 70 and keeping the AC off. And this a diesel MT with a much more frugal engine!

Bunny has already clarified that he did not coast in neutral down any hills so I don't see what the drama is about!

Last edited by noopster : 9th August 2013 at 12:00. Reason: Added comment
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 11:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
54.15 kmpl is very impressive for street driving that is far from ideal test conditions. I once got around 22 kmpl on the e-way stretch by not exceeding 70 and keeping the AC off.

Bunny has already clarified that he did not coast in neutral down any hills so I don't see what the drama is about!
Even driving in high gear down hill is not recommended. Thats why some drama, if any, from me...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 14:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Even driving in high gear down hill is not recommended.
I doubt how many of us use (/really need) the very same gear to descent, as we ascent. I use the gear which gives me ample engine braking, not the same one used to ascent (mostly it will be one higher than the one I came uphill).

Query: In the UK, while taking the driving test, if downhills, do we have to use the same gear while going up?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 15:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I doubt how many of us use (/really need) the very same gear to descent, as we ascent. I use the gear which gives me ample engine braking, not the same one used to ascent (mostly it will be one higher than the one I came uphill).

Query: In the UK, while taking the driving test, if downhills, do we have to use the same gear while going up?
Depends on your experience, skill and confidence levels. Always however, remember to take calculated risks within reasonable limits.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 15:26   #27
BHPian

I guess, similar drive was done in Ford Fiesta Classic as well. They got around 45KMPL. But in real life, What i am getting is ~18 KMPL in Highways and ~14 KMPL in city. Once during the first few months of purchase, i have got ~22 KMPL.

I dont think these figures are possible in real life :(
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 06:03   #28
BHPian

This was a brilliant effort Bunny, Kudos to you and the team.

I have a quick question though slightly OT. What is the ideal RPM a car should be in every gear to get the highest mileage ? As what i know 1800 RPM is where a car delivers best FE. I drive a Fiesta Petrol (Now classic). Is driving at 1500 RPM a good idea ?
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 16:11   #29
BHPian

Default Re: Can a 1 tonne sedan return 54.15 Kms to a liter?

Honda Civic in Europe has set a fuel effeciency record across 24 EU countries (35.46 Kmpl over 13498 kms).

The link to the actual article:http://www.rushlane.com/honda-civic-...-12155966.html

The perfect engine for Indian market.

Mods: Not sure if this is the right thread. Pls. merge to an appropriate thread.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th July 2015 at 17:26. Reason: Typo.
varunanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 17:35   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Can a 1 tonne sedan return 54.15 Kms to a liter?

I have a Polo Tdi with 1.2 Lit Engine, If I keep below 100 on highways I often get 23 km/L with Ac in use. Now if I drive slower, without Ac with window up, with over inflated tyres etc, much more is possible.

So the feat is not impossible but not practical either.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote