Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th August 2013, 20:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Can a 1 tonne sedan return 54.15 Kms to a liter?

Quote:
...After a failed attempt to break Limca Book Record yesterday, Team Gaadi again started today morning and got a phenomenal fuel efficiency of 54.15 km/l which is 250.26% more than the fuel efficiency claimed by Renault. The previous record stands at 245.83%.
Full Article

Name:  20130806_090917.jpg
Views: 4616
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  IMG20130807WA0018e1375839614138.jpg
Views: 4634
Size:  51.1 KB

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 8th August 2013 at 20:34.
Warwithwheels is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 20:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Can a 1 tonne sedan return 54.15 Kms to a liter?

Just went through the detailed report and pictures on Gaadi.com. Commendable job by the team. It definitely proves that the Scala is returning an average mileage of 54.15kmpl.

But I have some reservations against these record attempts. I don't now if this has been discussed or debated, the purpose of these sort of record attempts ? Sales Promotion ?
For me, when I go to buy a car, I wouldn't see what all Limca or Guinness records it holds. Rather I would see the ARAI mileage and read some reviews over the net or speak to people. More, I would do a self test drive and see the features by myself.

The report doesn't say anywhere about the kind of traffic they faced ? If its a straight highway / expressway drive, a sedate driving (like the team maintained at 46.2) then these figures are achievable. What about daily city runs ?

I am not demoralizing or deterring anyone from the team. Its a good effort, but like I said, I fail to understand the reason.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 21:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

^
Only one reason - they wanted to go for a record and they did it.

And the bottom-line is that they needed to pay only for 1.15 L of fuel for covering 62.28 km. I do not think these guys are associated with Renault directly. They just wanted to compete with AutoCar for a mileage run and they choose the best efficient motor.

On the same note, I really do not agree with many stalwarts of Team-BHP shunning the 1.5 DCi as plain old-school, forgetting the concept of efficiency - input vs output. Just being an enthusiast does not mean we need no efficiency; may be I'm just an enthusiast with a light pocket.

P.S: On my Micra, I've got average MID figures of 42 kmpl for a 15 minute drive; but in Kerala, this figure comes down very quickly as we cover more and more distance. For those who are looking for a realistic figures, please take the longer distance figures of Team Gaadi, i.e, 'After 984.59 km of total distance driven, only 24.65 liter of fuel could go in'
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 21:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Just went through the detailed report and pictures on Gaadi.com. Commendable job by the team. It definitely proves that the Scala is returning an average mileage of 54.15kmpl.

But I have some reservations against these record attempts. I don't now if this has been discussed or debated, the purpose of these sort of record attempts ? Sales Promotion ?
For me, when I go to buy a car, I wouldn't see what all Limca or Guinness records it holds. Rather I would see the ARAI mileage and read some reviews over the net or speak to people. More, I would do a self test drive and see the features by myself.

The report doesn't say anywhere about the kind of traffic they faced ? If its a straight highway / expressway drive, a sedate driving (like the team maintained at 46.2) then these figures are achievable. What about daily city runs ?

I am not demoralizing or deterring anyone from the team. Its a good effort, but like I said, I fail to understand the reason.
Reason is to market the car and their organization. Plain and simple.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 8th August 2013 at 21:40.
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 21:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
^ Only one reason - they wanted to go for a record and they did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Reason is to market the car and their organization. Plain and simple.
Haahaaahaa I know, but I am trying to know what other reason than promotion/marketing ?

Does this unwanted show off (if by Renault) point that Renault is still struggling with sales.
Or may be the owner (or team) was trying to prove to his known ones that Scala is a good car (in terms of mileage) indeed and his buying decision was not wrong.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 22:52   #6
BHPian

Just spare a thought for the guys who were driving. An open stretch of road, humid conditions, no back-seat driver, and all you get to do is 50-60 KMPH with AC off. That Limca book of record and resultant incentive, better be worth it.

On my recent Diu trip, I decided to check the efficiency of my Punto MJD. Drove for 20 odd KMs at ~70-80 KMPH with AC on. Saw the avg consumption as ~24 KMPL. Got bored and then drove in my normal highway driving style. Reached Delhi with avg. fuel efficiency of 14.7 KMPL.
Biraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 22:56   #7
BHPian

The Bangalore to Mumbai run which gave a mileage of 39 kmpl, was done by maintaining a top speed of 50 kmph, 5th gear at an rpm of approx 1200 rpm throughout.

Will I drive a car normally on the GQ highways at 50kmpl for 500 kilometers? No. But still the effort was commendable.

The record breaking attempt was ridiculous. Ok, you got 54 kmpl, but what is the route, Lonavla to Navi Mumbai? Half the route they just have to put in 5th gear and leave the accelerator, the car will come down in the ghat section on zero fuel consumption. This is a totally contrived example, a perfect way to game the system.
abeerbagul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 23:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, that indeed is a glorious attempt by TEAM GAADI

I drive a SCALA too, i once achieved 28.1 km/l while driving back from Pune to Mumbai;

Name:  28.1.JPG
Views: 3720
Size:  38.3 KB

^ And this was in speeds of 100-120 km/hr

Frankly the car is capable of low to mid 30 km/l's if driven carefully.

Proud to be a SCALA owner now
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 23:55   #9
BHPian

Hi everyone

My name is Bunny and I was the one piloting the car along with Meghan as co-driver.

YES - we will probably not drive our own car this way but our points to prove were different.

1. Bangalore-Mumbai run: The current record was held by Autocar in the Fiesta (Classic) done in 2008. It had been 5 yrs since anyone chased it and we gave it a try.
The roads now are pretty bad - from Satara to Pune with diversions and then Pune bypass diversions. The point was to break the record and show that Scala, even after being a higher category sedan, can still deliver. More luxurious and yet more efficient. And we also did it with 3 hrs to spare as compared to ACI (who did in 24 hrs 20 mins). We kept 50-55km/h most of times with bursts of 80-90 sometimes. GPS showed a max of 100 too. We did 984km as per GPS in 21 hrs, so yes, decent speeds too for an economy run!

2. Limca record: Again, current Limca record was 245.8% over ARAI. The aim was to break it and Scala seemed the right choice. Brilliant engine, frugal, comfy etc. We tried twice and finally broke it. Yes, it was the expressway but we had to go thru a toll plaza too. Finally broke it today morning.
PS: Limca says drive for min 60km and hence the expressway was obvious choice save for toll plaza which eats up 4-6 mins and lot of fuel

Again, yes, this isnt the way a car is usually driven but the point was to show that Scala can break records and in generic driving, it can give really good figures. For example, while driving to Pune today in normal driving on the expressway, we were easily getting over 22kmpl with air-con , ghats, etc etc, inspite of going from 100 feet to 2000 feet above sea level. Im sure GTO will stand by his car (that also uses the same engine) about the engine's drinking habits

Both the records were verified, audited and seen by a gazetted officer and an auto engineer. So yes, its true. It did happen

Cheers

PS: Since last week, we have done Chennai - Bangalore - Mumbai - Bangalore - Mumbai - Lonavala - Mumbai - Pune : the car indeed is very comfy. Good seats and nicely set-up suspension! Meghan (team-bhp handle being 'kwokfist' ) drives to Chennai tomorrow from Pune and im sure the Scala will love stretching its legs on the highway once again!

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th August 2013 at 06:57. Reason: Only two smileys per post please.
BunnyPunia is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 04:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
as ridiculous. Ok, you got 54 kmpl, but what is the route, Lonavla to Navi Mumbai? Half the route they just have to put in 5th gear and leave the accelerator, the car will come down in the ghat section on zero fuel consumption. This is a totally contrived example, a perfect way to game the system.
Try doing this on any ghat section and you have a lovely foolproof recipe to meet your "maker".

It is arguably amongst the stupidest ways to drive down a ghat section road. One is always supposed to descend a ghat in the same gear as one would have ascended it. This is the norm for maximum control and maximum safety.
Doing idiot stunts like the one described above puts the driver and passengers lives in danger along with the lives of any other road users who might have the misfortune to be on the same road, at the same place, at the same time as the blundering dunderhead who is driving a car in the above-described manner.
We need to be responsible, even while attempting to set these blighted halfwit records!
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 05:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Hi everyone

My name is Bunny and I was the one piloting the car along with Meghan as co-driver.
Good job there, BP! commendable. It is indeed a good achievement. I have been trying to do 900 kms on a full tank of approximately 40 liters with a mix of highway and city. This record has a lot of value according to me. The reason? It can be more economical to drive your own car to your destination than to take a volvo. Thus proving that private transport is indeed cheaper than public transport.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 07:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
The Bangalore to Mumbai run which gave a mileage of 39 kmpl, was done by maintaining a top speed of 50 kmph, 5th gear at an rpm of approx 1200 rpm throughout.

Will I drive a car normally on the GQ highways at 50kmpl for 500 kilometers? No. But still the effort was commendable.

The record breaking attempt was ridiculous. Ok, you got 54 kmpl, but what is the route, Lonavla to Navi Mumbai? Half the route they just have to put in 5th gear and leave the accelerator, the car will come down in the ghat section on zero fuel consumption. This is a totally contrived example, a perfect way to game the system.
Hi,

The GPS logs have been shared in our post and updates. Top speed was more than 100 and cruising speed wasn't 50. Our overall speed was over 46 which clearly does mean that taking stops / tolls into consideration, we were doing much higher speed.

Limca record route started before Lonavala - yes uphills includes. We got a toll too. Easier said than done - do give it a try on same stretch, it is difficult.
As for route, the older record was on same route (Limca record) and hence we choose the same route to break it. I guess that answers your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Try doing this on any ghat section and you have a lovely foolproof recipe to meet your "maker".

It is arguably amongst the stupidest ways to drive down a ghat section road. One is always supposed to descend a ghat in the same gear as one would have ascended it. This is the norm for maximum control and maximum safety.
Doing idiot stunts like the one described above puts the driver and passengers lives in danger along with the lives of any other road users who might have the misfortune to be on the same road, at the same place, at the same time as the blundering dunderhead who is driving a car in the above-described manner.
We need to be responsible, even while attempting to set these blighted halfwit records!
Lovely words there - thank you.

I guess it is being purely assumed that the car was left in neutral on the ghats - let me assure you the case was a lot different. On a downhill, even with the car in gear, one can acheive great economies as we found out.

Once again, the record was done to break current records (both Autocar and Limca). In no way was anyone's life put to risk
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 08:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post

Hi,
I guess it is being purely assumed that the car was left in neutral on the ghats - let me assure you the case was a lot different. On a downhill, even with the car in gear, one can acheive great economies as we found out.

Once again, the record was done to break current records (both Autocar and Limca). In no way was anyone's life put to risk
Bunny you will no doubt agree with the below.
The basic rule is that one always uses the same gear while going downhill, that one would use while going up.
Else one ends up standing on the brakes because in case the car is in a higher gear while going downhill one does not receive the benefit of engine braking.
No one but a novice or a complete ignorant, would go downhill coasting along in neutral. That is extremely dangerous indeed.

Now I am not an auto expert or rally driver or anything, but I cut my teeth on driving various old style vehicles in the hills of South India and was always taught a number of safety norms by my Dad and our various estate drivers whose experience I had the good fortune to be guided by. Hence, I firmly believe in safety first, to the exclusion of all else.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th August 2013 at 08:58.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 08:57   #14
BHPian

Does this record mean anything to an average normal driver like me? NO.
a) The drive was done in an 'ideal' or near ideal stretch of road.
b) I am assuming this was done with ACs off, windows up, music off etc - not the normal way anyone drive everyday.
c) Can they do this in my daily route? I'm sure they can't.

Does this record mean anything to an average normal driver like me? YES.
a) It shows that I can get more mileage than what I get normally, if I take some measures. I may not be getting the 250% efficiency, but with small things - removing the golf set in my car trunk and checking tyre pressure regularly, getting a monthly pass for the toll, driving at a decent speed (than pushing to 100+ always) - I can get 25% extra mileage than what I am getting now. We all know these things, but events likes this reinforce and remind us to do it.
b) Car manufacturers may be observing these records and results and try to learn from them. They may take few inputs to improve the efficiency of their cars under normal driving conditions which benefits all of us.
c) It also reminds me of the value of preparation and team work. I'm sure Bunny and Meghan did lot of preparation, not just decided to do it. I'm sure they are much more productive than their average colleagues in their daily jobs also.

Bunni, congrats to you and Meghan. If you are in Mumbai anytime, please let me know, it will be my privilege to meet you and buying you a cup of coffee.
JohnyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 09:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the feat and to the makers of the brilliant engine!

Question is - if driven "normally + spiritedly" as one would usually do, what kind of fuel efficiency does the Scala return. Average both these figures and you'll probably come to a more realistic and believable figure. Users looking to purchase the most fuel efficient car can then take this figure as a definitive proof in their buying decision.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote