Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th August 2013, 07:36   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS
According to Motorbeam, launch is likely to be in the first week of October. Base Petrol will be priced at Rs 14 lakhs.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/skoda-...m-rs-14-lakhs/
Well this should clear most of the doubts regarding the launch , however dealers tell me that the car will hit their showrooms sometime mid september but wont be available for TD till official launch !!..
Old 25th August 2013, 09:25   #137
BHPian

Only 1.4 petrol available at launch ? As per motorbeam article... No 1.8? :(
Old 25th August 2013, 09:52   #138
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

It appears there's even more CANBUS integration on the Octavia. Once can completely forget installing amps and sub!
Old 25th August 2013, 12:28   #139
BHPian

I have to say if the motorbeam report can be trusted, then this news about only the 1.4 TSI being offered at the launch is very disappointing. Was looking forward to the 1.8 ltr, 180 Bhp engine, which is supposed to be real fun to drive. What's even more disappointing is that motorbeam thinks the 1.8 ltr engine will come in the VRS trim sometime next year. I was expecting 2 ltr, 200 bhp+ engine for the VRS.
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 13:19   #140
Team-BHP Support

Unhappy Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

The speculation is understandable when you examine VAG's track record. We've never had a proper vRS ever! The first Octy vRS sold in India came with a detuned (from 180 to 150) 1.8 liter turbocharged engine. The Laura that followed came with the same engine that powered the regular petrol variant instead of the fully blown 2.0 liter 200 odd horsepower engine.

History, in all probability, will repeat itself. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Octavia vRS comes with the same 1.8 TSI some of us are all to familiar with. One could also expect downsized wheels and tyres.

Why? Well, in a market where diesel cars are the be-all-and-end-all of entry-level executive sedans, Skoda may not want to risk investing too much money on a product that they may eventually shelve due to sheer lack of demand. Think about it.

There are three options, as I see it. Option (1) Import the 2 liter engine and other components in order to assemble a proper vRS. Importing parts will require investment. Assembly of engine / drivetrain / suspension components might require the assembly line to be revamped accordingly = more investment! Option (2) Import the vRS as a CBU and avoid the hassles of further investments. But this would mean 170% duties on an Octavia, not counting road tax, registration, insurance, etc. One could expect a price tag of nothing less than 30 lakhs if that's the case. Option (3) Use existing engine / drivetrain, etc = avoids alterations to the assembly process, checks investments, 1.8 can be distinguished from the base 1.4.

Option 3 IMO makes the most sense given the current economic climate and preferences of the average customer in today's local automotive market.

EDIT: however, I may be entirely wrong and VAG may do something completely different. I expected the Laura to be sold alongside the new Octavia, akin to the strategy they'd employed when they first introduced the Laura. But with rumors of the Laura being discontinued shortly, one can never say what VAG has in store for us.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th August 2013 at 13:22.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 15:23   #141
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
We've never had a proper vRS ever!
We need a diesel vRS! 2litre engine with 177bhp.
I'm not very sure but i think a diesel vRS is offered in the UK.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 16:11   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are three options, as I see it. Option (1) Import the 2 liter engine and other components in order to assemble a proper vRS. Importing parts will require investment. Assembly of engine / drivetrain / suspension components might require the assembly line to be revamped accordingly = more investment! Option (2) Import the vRS as a CBU and avoid the hassles of further investments. But this would mean 170% duties on an Octavia, not counting road tax, registration, insurance, etc. One could expect a price tag of nothing less than 30 lakhs if that's the case. Option (3) Use existing engine / drivetrain, etc = avoids alterations to the assembly process, checks investments, 1.8 can be distinguished from the base 1.4.
You are forgetting that the 2.0t is already assembled in India. It has been since a while, when Audi launched the A4 2.0tfsi, and the Q5 uses it too. So that shouldn't have been an issue for Skoda. They should have given us the 2.0t on the Laura.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 16:11   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
We need a diesel vRS! 2litre engine with 177bhp.
I'm not very sure but i think a diesel vRS is offered in the UK.
Thing is, it still won't be a proper vRS. If you've watched that Carbuyer review that I'd put up in the previous page, you'd see the vRS is no longer just an Octavia with more power and snazzy bodywork. It's seriously tech-laden this time, with switches, buttons, et al that allows you to adjust the suspension, steering, etc. individually! Somehow, I think it's far fetched for the Indian market.

Take a look at the regular Octavia. It comes with self-park tech and a whole lot of other gizmos.

A diesel vRS may be on the cards, but don't expect anything else other that a regular diesel Octy with a body kit, sporty seats and vRS badges. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You are forgetting that the 2.0t is already assembled in India. It has been since a while, when Audi launched the A4 2.0tfsi, and the Q5 uses it too. So that shouldn't have been an issue for Skoda. They should have given us the 2.0t on the Laura.
That's a good point! *thumbs up*

But like I said earlier, it's not just the engine. It's the whole package!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th August 2013 at 16:16.
Old 25th August 2013, 18:09   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thing is, it still won't be a proper vRS. If you've watched that Carbuyer review that I'd put up in the previous page, you'd see the vRS is no longer just an Octavia with more power and snazzy bodywork. It's seriously tech-laden this time, with switches, buttons, et al that allows you to adjust the suspension, steering, etc. individually! Somehow, I think it's far fetched for the Indian market.
Similar to the Golf GTI and GTD, the vRS comes with identical features / tech gizmos for both petrol and diesel variants. The 217bhp petrol does 0-100 in 6.2 seconds, while the 184bhp 2.0 TDI gets there in 8.1 seconds. I read in the Golf GTD review that they have a sound actuator to make it sound like a sporty petrol. Not sure if they have done something similar with the vRS diesel
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 21:05   #145
BHPian

What would be a good buy Octavia or 1-Series ? Although both belong to different segments, both seems to be expected around 18L, albeit one top model and other the base model....

The 10 features of Octavia that are listed in Skoda site, majority of these seems to be existing in Laura L&K. Should they be offering Self-Park feature, guess they would have listed it in the 10 features for sure.

Does the Octavia have ventilated seats which IMO should be a default feature made available for weather condition.

Why don't we get the choice to configure the car which could be made to order? Is this difficult to achieve?
Old 25th August 2013, 22:25   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

The 1.8 TSI is no longer on offer for the Octavia in the UK ever since the launch of the Octavia 3. There's the 1.4 TSI and the next best is the 2.0 TSI available in VRS trim only. They feel that there's no space for the 1.8 TSI, as the performance seekers wil go for the VRS and economy seekers will go for the 1.4 TSI or the 1.2 TSI or the TDIs.

A similar strategy may work well for India too. The 1.4 TSI with a 140 hp tune can power the regular Octavias and the 1.8 TSI tuned to 180 hp will be worthy of that vRS badge. This way nobody will complain that the VRS is just a regular Octavia with cosmetic upgrades.

Remember the 1.8 TSI Octavia comes with multilink suspension elsewhere in Europe and this will not make sense in India as the TDI will be the mainstay here and Skoda will be charging a premium for it over the petrol models. The cheaper petrol Octavia cannot have a better suspension than the diesel version.

Also this will keep the VW guys happy, as it will allow them to place the petrol Octavia below the petrol Jetta.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 25th August 2013 at 22:28.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 13:28   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The 1.4 TSI with a 140 hp tune can power the regular Octavias...
The Motorbeam article says 1.4 TSI with 120 hp for Octavia, which is really disappointing, especially at an ex-showroom price of 14 lakhs. I'd expect it to be the 140 hp version like you mentioned, though the price of 14 lakhs will still be high for the base version.

Also, that may not allow them to price Octavia lesser than Jetta 1.4 TSI, which is at 120 hp.
Old 28th August 2013, 09:32   #148
Senior - BHPian

I do hope motorbeam etc are wrong wrt no 1.8TSI at launch. I think India is very different from UK. Folks not looking at performance will go for the TDI without much debate - so where would the petrol enthusiasts go? definitely not for an underpowered 1.4TSI - petrol model buyers like me need the 1.8TSI.
Skoda, launch the 1.8TSI first with the multiplying rear suspension and MT option.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 28th August 2013 at 09:35.
Old 28th August 2013, 10:06   #149
BHPian

Contrary to Motorbeam's report, Autocar India suggests there will be a 1.8 TSI powering the Indian Octavia. Or have I been reading something else?
Old 28th August 2013, 11:00   #150
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
I do hope motorbeam etc are wrong wrt no 1.8TSI at launch. I
Perhaps this engine will be launched in the vRS guise later on!

Earlier Hormazd Sorabjee had said only top end versions would be launched & Laura will continue to sell alongside till kits are over but I guess thats not the case anymore as there are stories floating around that Laura is about to be discontinued. I guess all trims will be launched now, just have to wait for the official launch/prices.
Closed Thread