Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th September 2013, 16:43   #181
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

Some news from Overdrive.
http://overdrive.in/news/skoda-octav...ndia-detailed/

- 140bhp 1.4TSi engine with manual tranny.
- 143bhp 2.0-litre TDi 6-speed manual and DSG transmission.(wasn't it supposed to be 150bhp as per earlier reports!)
- 180bhp 1.8TSi 7-speed DSG box with Tiptronic function.
- Car will be available in six colours. Racy Blue colour which was earlier on offer only with the vRS models is now standard
- The three trims - Active, Ambition and Elegance will have 16-inch alloy wheels as standard.
- The top-of-the line gets six airbags. (Jetta gets 8 i believe).
- Octavia prices to start from Rs 11.5 lakh to Rs 16.5 lakh, ex-Maharashtra!

Last edited by PPS : 7th September 2013 at 17:02.
PPS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 17:12   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post

- 143bhp 2.0-litre TDi 6-speed manual and DSG transmission.(wasn't it supposed to be 150bhp as per earlier reports!)
- Car will be available in six colours. Racy Blue colour which was earlier on offer only with the vRS models is now standard
- The three trims - Active, Ambition and Elegance will have 16-inch alloy wheels as standard.
Overdrive is a proper magazine, so if this is true, then well Skoda gets a second chance from the Indian public. At 11.5 base, it will see a good rush in its stores.

Most important here will be the base petrol variant at 11.5, this is really good price. People with small to medium usage will really lap this up.

What really needs to be seen is this one of those paper launch variants or an actual variant.

11.5 base takes competition from not only the original Jetta, Elantra, Corolla segment but also top end Verna, City, Rapid etc. This will also further mess up the Duster because pseudo SUV not with standing the Octavia is a proper branded European car based on good fundamentals, thank fully the Logan is nowhere in its DNA.
I wonder if the top end Ecosport buyers after the price hike will bite at the Octavia, the price difference is almost 2 lakhs ex showroom. Will any Ecosport Titanium plus bookees comment on this.

All in all good news for Saturday.
Old 7th September 2013, 17:20   #183
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Overdrive is a proper magazine, so if this is true, then well Skoda gets a second chance from the Indian public.
Well I hope the Overdrive prices turn out to be true!
Autocar has predicted an estimated price tag of Rs 18-20 lakh(ex-Delhi) in their review!
Old 7th September 2013, 17:24   #184
BHPian

Quote:
This will also further mess up the Duster because pseudo SUV not with standing the Octavia is a proper branded European car based on good fundamentals, thank fully the Logan is nowhere in its DNA.
Underpinnings of the duster are same as of Logan's. And Logan isn't a bad car, unless you say Dzire is a good car !

On the topic, This seems to be a very good upgrade for the people who already have a C segment sedan..

Last edited by Naparajito : 7th September 2013 at 17:26.
Naparajito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 17:27   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

IIRC, Autocar mentioned that only the 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TDI will roll in first, and the 1.4 TSI will get in later - end of the year / early next year.
Old 7th September 2013, 18:19   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
11.5 base takes competition from not only the original Jetta, Elantra, Corolla segment but also top end Verna, City, Rapid etc. This will also further mess up the Duster because pseudo SUV not with standing the Octavia is a proper branded European car based on good fundamentals, thank fully the Logan is nowhere in its DNA.
I wonder if the top end Ecosport buyers after the price hike will bite at the Octavia, the price difference is almost 2 lakhs ex showroom. Will any Ecosport Titanium plus bookees comment on this.
THe problem with the base variant is that it will be completely stripped of features. I mean things like steel wheels, no driver arm rest, basic audio etc.... People upgrading from Vernas and Citys will not accept such a bare car. THe Laura also had a base version called Active. It failed miserably even though it had the fab 1.8 TSI engine.
Old 7th September 2013, 18:33   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overdrive is a proper magazine, so if this is true, then well Skoda gets a second chance from the Indian public. At 11.5 base, it will see a good rush in its stores.

All in all good news for Saturday.

Well I cancelled my booking for the Ecosport (TDCI ) Titanium option pack after waiting for 10 weeks when Ford hiked the prices. While the difference in price is significant the Octavia is definitely in my consideration set . You spend more but you get a car that is 1.5 segments higher. If I do buy this car,it will take care of my needs for the next 5-7 years. Moreover, my elder son was not too happy with my decision to go in for the Ecosport. He did not consider the move from SX4 to the Ecosport to be an upgrade. Similar sentiments were expressed by some of the colleagues at work.

The key however will be the pricing. I can stretch my budget for a better product but till a particular limit. Instead of a 3 year loan I can go for a 4 year loan with a similar emi.
Old 7th September 2013, 21:33   #188
BHPian

Looks are killer, and the interiors are seriously classy. This will definitely put the existing D segment cars in jeopardy if this car is priced well.

I hope Skoda does some homework and improves their After Sales Service department. If they do, the new Octavia might be a winner for them.
Old 7th September 2013, 23:23   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post

I had almost given up on the hope of buying it hearing what autocar had to say. now if it is going to start at 11.5 lakh ex-showroom that will be fantastic. I was even thinking of the laura although i am not comfortable with a car which is being discontinued. now the excitement is back. keeping fingers crossed
Old 8th September 2013, 08:17   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
THe problem with the base variant is that it will be completely stripped of features. I mean things like steel wheels, no driver arm rest, basic audio etc.... People upgrading from Vernas and Citys will not accept such a bare car. THe Laura also had a base version called Active. It failed miserably even though it had the fab 1.8 TSI engine.
The article mentions that the base active will have alloy wheels as standard. Somehow I do not believe the pricing. I think it will be atleast 1L-1.5L above the mentioned price,i.e, about 12.5L-13L for the base model (with 1.4L, if there is one). Even at that price, I would say its a better bet than the Jetta.
Old 9th September 2013, 11:23   #191
BHPian

Why has Skoda not included the top of the line L&K model ?? .
Old 9th September 2013, 11:39   #192

Name:  image2548694103.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  268.0 KB

I just searched 'octavia india' on google and found this - 'new octavia range starts from 9,90,705/-' in the meta description of scoda's official website. This will be crazy if it is true. See the attached pic.
manjuls is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 13:12   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjuls View Post
Attachment 1136044

I just searched 'octavia india' on google and found this - 'new octavia range starts from 9,90,705/-' in the meta description of scoda's official website. This will be crazy if it is true. See the attached pic.
Thats some pitfalls of google search. It can spring up surprises to catch ones breath
Dont worry its a news item from 2008 figuring out on the Search.
Old 9th September 2013, 16:33   #194
BHPian

The media drives have started so i guess we can expect a review soon. I got this PIC showing one of our moderators (if i am not mistaken) in the drivers seat

Name:  ForumRunner_20130909_163009.png
Views: 1145
Size:  323.6 KB

Source: skoda india Facebook page

I too feel the pricing details posted by overdrive seem to be more realistic if skoda is really serious about the new Octavia. 18-20 posted by autocar lacs seems overly optimistic given that we dont get all the features from the euro spec version.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 16:45   #195
Senior - BHPian

That's Vidyut in driver's seat... .

ACI have now reviewed the 1.4L base Octavia producing 140ps power & here is the link to their review:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-356304,0.aspx

Quote:
Excerpts:

1. there is some lag, especially below 2,000rpm... get past the lag and you will discover noticeably meatier performance (especially in the mid-range) than what you get in the Jetta;

2. The 1.4 TSI comes with a torsion beam axle suspension setup at the rear (similar to the diesel), but it does seem to be a softer setup, and that means you donít get as much bump at low speeds as you do in the diesel. This and the Octaviaís accomplished chassis mean it can be quite a lot of fun to drive.

3. itís easy to stall, especially when starting off on slopes, so your only option is to slip the clutch and rev the engine to get going.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 9th September 2013 at 16:50.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread