Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th August 2013, 22:55   #61
BHPian

As per ACI, Octavia clocks 100 kms per hour in less than 7secs, to be precise, it's 6.7secs.that makes it the fastest under 25lacs. Can't wait to TD. I
Old 11th August 2013, 23:32   #62
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

Lovely update to the iconic Octavia. Love the bixenons, better rear space, awesome looking front end, better tuned 1.8Tsi engine, classy yet understated interiors, no compromise on safety features.

I have been driving the 1.8Tsi for over 50K kms and though its heavily modded the reliability has been unparalleled. I am sure a lot of people will be apprehensive about the Skoda ASS but build quality and driving dynamics are way better than the Jap/Korean counterparts in the same segment any day.
I love driving and cannot imagine buying a car based on its resale value 5 years down the line or the service center quality (which I would realistically visit only once a year). We have Suzuki/Ford cars in the family but somehow I never look forward to driving those cars as much as the Polo 1.2Tsi or the Laura 1.8Tsi. Even the over hyped 1L ecoboost Ecosport failed to impress me with its driving dynamics.

The Tsi engines are a tuners dream and I wish Skoda releases the 2L VRS with black leather and the works, a couple of years down the line.

Things I don't about the new Octavia:
  • The Rapidish rear, atleast the LED tail lamps should have been there
  • The raised suspension and ancient 16 inch Goodyear tyres
  • The overdose of beige in the cabin. Luckily there is no excess chrome and the idiotic faux wood.
  • Getting rid of the organ type accelerator pedal
  • No Columbus system, I hope they have provided BT as stock though this time with Bolero.
I cannot comment on the TDi Laura, be it the suspension or the power ratings as I am a hardcore petrolhead.

Last edited by robimahanta : 11th August 2013 at 23:41.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 01:45   #63
BHPian

Obvious instances of cost cutting lead to a mixed reaction

1) The wheel design looks like crap. Compare them to the designs sold on other versions sold in other markets to gain perspective on this.

2) The Bolero Audio system is downmarket vs. the version sold internationally

3) The lower spec 140bhp TDI is obviously launched with the intent of upgrading to the 170bhp version with the mid cycle refresh.

4) Launching the 7 speed Skoda DSG after all the negative experiences voiced by existing customers is the equivalent of performing automotive Harakiri.

5) Non multi-link rear suspension on their bulk selling diesel?

When you look at sales numbers , it becomes clear that India doesn't like Petrol. Why give the 1.8 TSI all the goodies and skimp on the Diesel version?

I'm not sure about others but Skoda lost me as a potential Diesel Octavia customer.
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 02:27   #64
BHPian

The alloys look horrible.

Why dont they have the 5 spoke ones which sell internationally?Looks so much more sportier.
Old 12th August 2013, 07:21   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, it is actually a replacement. This talk of selling side-by-side is more a marketing move. They want to exhaust the existing Laura CKD kits. From what I have gathered, they have been preparing for this from the beginning of the year. To start with, they stopped producing MT variants of Laura TDI by end 2012. And for the 2013 TDI AT models and TSI, they added on a lot of standard kit to make the Ambition and Elegance trim attractive (for e.g.; 16” alloys, touch screen audio with Bluetooth etc. in the Ambition variant). Effectively, they were distributing the L&K features into lower variants to make it more attractive for the buyers, without giving hefty discounts.

Once the Laura CKD kits are done, it will vanish from the market, and lower variants of the Octavia should start coming in.
That's good. We can expect better pricing for the Octavia then! News report by motorbeam confirms it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The Korean may have a lighter build quality but better after-sales makes up for that.
Better after sales will make it easier to live with, however it will still drive like a Korean, every single day of its life. Good after sales network can't make up for that!
Old 12th August 2013, 08:39   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

The car looks lovely from the outside. And there is simply too much beige spoiling it on the inside.

Wonder why there is no choice offered to the customer for the interior colour at this age. And it need not be extensive configuration options. A simple All black Vs. Black/ Beige will do to start with.

And I hope Skoda discontinues the Laura and have only one 'Octavia'. I hate the business of selling 2 generations side by side. It spells trouble in the long term. If there is only one car, the new generation can be priced aggressively and has that much more chance for success.
Old 12th August 2013, 09:20   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Obvious instances of cost cutting lead to a mixed reaction

3) The lower spec 140bhp TDI is obviously launched with the intent of upgrading to the 170bhp version with the mid cycle refresh.
IIRC, only Passat has the 170ps TDI, the older and the new Octavia doesn't have a 170ps trim in any market.

For the multi-link suspension, they put it on high power models like 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI though one would have liked all engine trims to sport it.
Old 12th August 2013, 09:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post

From my sources, the service guys go for their training starting mid-August. So, car should be up for sale a month or so down the line.
9th Sep, allegedly. The source is good, but the company is very iffy so I wouldnt take bets.
Old 12th August 2013, 09:43   #69
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Current Mumbai OTR
Laura L&K 2.0D about 23.5L
Elegance 2.0D about 21.5L
Superb 1.8P about 23.5L
Superb 2.0D about 29L
of course discounts are available but

So

A) New Ocatvia Top End should go to about 25L OTR unless they do a price correction over the Laura. Would suggest they do that else (especially if they only release the top models initially this will go dangerously over the Superb P and the Fuel consumption savings may not really justify the same.

B) Superb P makes for a excellent buy (but they so would the Octavia P (both engines options if they make it here) considering the price difference between Petrol and Diesel is dropping. But then the Superb, Laura and Octavia D (and equivalent VW's) are vehicles where the Diesel does give a extraordinary Fuel Efficiency for the class of vehicle that they belong to.
Old 12th August 2013, 09:57   #70
BHPian

Now that they are indeed going to phase out the Laura, the 1.4 TSI spec would need to begin at under 14 Lakhs (remember, Jetta is around 13.6L)..
12.99L for 1.4 TSI seems like a killer deal
14.99L for 1.8 TSI

If they get the pricing right, its only one part though..

Has there been any serious upgrades in the service satisfaction? Thats more important to many of us than just the product offering. For sure, I am not considering Skoda unless the perception changes.
Old 12th August 2013, 10:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

1 Question (pardon me if its already been discussed iv not gone through the entire thread)-
Is the new Octavia TDI going to retain a 140hp / 320nm rating or is it going up to 150hp ?
I read 150hp at places and then again 140hp as well somewhere. Which one is it going to be ?
Old 12th August 2013, 10:45   #72
BHPian

Two curious things I noticed:
1. The 'Skoda' moniker appears at the rear, perhaps a first for a Skoda.
2. The head light misses the Octavia imprint. Fabia owners need not feel let down anymore.
Old 12th August 2013, 12:08   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Better after sales will make it easier to live with, however it will still drive like a Korean, every single day of its life. Good after sales network can't make up for that!
True but I choose to make that trade off. Others may choose handling over reliability. For me reliability and ease of ownership trumps everything else.
Old 12th August 2013, 12:29   #74
BHPian

Looks Nice and waiting for the TD reports of this one especially what will be the major differences from Laura and in general the price points.
Do we know what is the second petrol option we are talking of here?
Old 12th August 2013, 12:37   #75
BHPian

Post Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
1 Question (pardon me if its already been discussed iv not gone through the entire thread)-
Is the new Octavia TDI going to retain a 140hp / 320nm rating or is it going up to 150hp ?
I read 150hp at places and then again 140hp as well somewhere. Which one is it going to be ?
For the Indian market, the diesel motor in the Octavia is the familiar 2.0-litre TDI unit that makes 140 PS and 320 NM.
Closed Thread