Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 15th August 2013, 15:45   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Called up Vinayak Cars in bangalore today , asked them if they could provide me with any form of details regarding the car . They say that the car is ready for an october launch and the car will arrive to showrooms next month sometime . Yes they have started bookings . Booking amount one lakh .
That's correct. Even Tafe Access is taking bookings though they donot have any idea of exact date when car will be available nor of what the price is going to be. They claimed that there has been a good rush of people booking the car with 1 lakh deposit. The crowd is more of the ones who want to own the car FIRST rather than general car buying enthusiast.
Old 15th August 2013, 17:59   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Heaven !
Skoda, Please launch the Octavia RS. Also, i want the proper Vrs with the 2.0 TSI with a 6 speed manual box, Thanks.

Cheers
Agree 100%. They have to launch VRS right around festival season along with rest of the pack. I believe such a specialty product is generally at premium and they would stand chance to have better margins even if they sell less in numbers.

Thanks for the videos, what a sweet sounding engine revv.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:59   #108
BHPian

Dealers are speculating that the car will launch for sure either in the last week of september or 1st week of october !!!!
Old 16th August 2013, 13:40   #109
BHPian

Just spoke with the sales person from Mahavir Auto (Jubilee Hills). They have no details about the car whatsoever, except that it is expected in the 1st week of October. And they are taking bookings. Booking amount - 50K.

Plan to call another branch of Mahavir and see if I can get any more information.
sunny310c is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 15:54   #110
BHPian

Was the car unveiled a top end L&K or any lower end model such as elegance ?? . The car does not seem to have a push start button and paddle shifters ! . Big omission if its a top end model .
Old 16th August 2013, 16:36   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Was the car unveiled a top end L&K or any lower end model such as elegance ?? . The car does not seem to have a push start button and paddle shifters ! . Big omission if its a top end model .
I believe the unveiled model was the Elegance trim which is the highest trim level comparable to the Highline. Not the L&K.

As far as Push start button and paddle shifters are concerned, even the Jetta doesn't have them so I'm not surprised there. Believe the paddle shifters can be retrofitted however.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:09   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j

I believe the unveiled model was the Elegance trim which is the highest trim level comparable to the Highline. Not the L&K.

As far as Push start button and paddle shifters are concerned, even the Jetta doesn't have them so I'm not surprised there. Believe the paddle shifters can be retrofitted however.
I think this the area where the octavia can beat the jetta . It would be rather disappointing if skoda skips the push start button etc since sub 10 lk cars are offering these features nowadays !! ...
Old 16th August 2013, 18:51   #113
BHPian

Okay, so called another branch of Mahavir Auto (Somajiguda) here in Hyderabad. Pretty much the same information as I got from the Jubilee Hills branch, except that the car is expected to be put up on display from the second week of September. They haven't received the brochure for the car so have no idea about the trims or price.
Old 17th August 2013, 15:52   #114
BHPian

Now since it is confirmed that the Laura will be discontinued and that the new Octavia in diesel form is not all that a drivers car [raw deal in the suspension setup], whats the status on the left over Laura sales, I am sure they are available at good discounts. The big question is - will it make sense to buy a diesel Laura at a good discount instead of new Octavia diesel at a premium, how good or bad is the new Octavia from a drivers car perspective, or are we better off with the Laura at these 'value for money' prices [if one can say so].
Old 17th August 2013, 17:25   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Now since it is confirmed that the Laura will be discontinued and that the new Octavia in diesel form is not all that a drivers car [raw deal in the suspension setup], whats the status on the left over Laura sales, I am sure they are available at good discounts. The big question is - will it make sense to buy a diesel Laura at a good discount instead of new Octavia diesel at a premium, how good or bad is the new Octavia from a drivers car perspective, or are we better off with the Laura at these 'value for money' prices [if one can say so].
While a heavily discounted Laura diesel would make a tremendous value proposition, I'm not sure if one should dismiss the new Octavia on the basis of a suspension component.

Granted, it's a crucial component that makes a difference, perhaps it's a difference that the average Joe may not notice on the face of it? Besides, I'm sure it won't be a terrible car to drive.

I'm not sure how VAG has setup the car in other markets, but the rest of the car seems to be a reasonably good package, suspension-component related discrepancy notwithstanding.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 21:52   #116
BHPian

Very true, for any average Joe there is no decision to make just go buy the new car on the block. Also for the petro heads here its no decision to make either, just buy the petrol Octavia [among the two it is a drivers car as per some reviews that are out there]. The review by ACI suggests that the diesel Octavia is more of a cruzer and the petrol is the one to push on the bends. May be VAG will later come out with the diesel vRS which they have in European markets.
Old 17th August 2013, 21:55   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi
Though the first gen laura had fantastic straight line stability it felt a little disoriented around corners , but the car came with a hydraulic steering setup so the steering felt great to hold . Since the octavia comes with a electric steering setup it would be a tad less involving to hold i guess . Anyway all these are just assumptions and the real deal is known only once the car is out which is not too far away . Lets hope it will be a great drivers car which the octavia has always been !!!!
Old 18th August 2013, 09:49   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Though the first gen laura had fantastic straight line stability it felt a little disoriented around corners , but the car came with a hydraulic steering setup so the steering felt great to hold . Since the octavia comes with a electric steering setup it would be a tad less involving to hold i guess . Anyway all these are just assumptions and the real deal is known only once the car is out which is not too far away . Lets hope it will be a great drivers car which the octavia has always been !!!!
The current Laura has an EPS and if I remember correctly so did the per facelift Laura (correct me if I am wrong). Though its an EPS unit, the feedback is pretty good and the steering feels pretty direct.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 18th August 2013 at 09:51.
Old 18th August 2013, 10:34   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
The crowd is more of the ones who want to own the car FIRST rather than general car buying enthusiast.
Agreed. In my opinion, one should touch and feel the car, test drive it to feel the comfort and drivability, then go and put the money.
Old 18th August 2013, 12:30   #120
Senior - BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, Is it going to replace the Laura? Or will it be sold along side with the Laura?
Closed Thread