Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th August 2013, 13:23   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Pardon my ignorance, Is it going to replace the Laura? Or will it be sold along side with the Laura?
Skoda Octavia is going to replace the Skoda Laura that is presently sold in India. They may be sold alongside as long as stock it left with dealers.
Old 18th August 2013, 17:02   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Heaven !
Skoda, Please launch the Octavia RS. Also, i want the proper Vrs with the 2.0 TSI with a 6 speed manual box, Thanks.

WOW. What a noisy turbocharger, 6.8 sec to 100...great video

They really should get this as their halo car, never mind if 10 are sold a month.
d_himan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 13:08   #123
BHPian

Skoda has listed 10 features for the new Octavia on their site...

Push start is missing from the list...

The rear AC vents seem to have an AC power outlet?

http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/models/o...ia-Coming-Soon
manu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 13:35   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu
Skoda has listed 10 features for the new Octavia on their site...

Push start is missing from the list...

The rear AC vents seem to have an AC power outlet?

http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/models/o...ia-Coming-Soon
Out of huge excitement checked out what these "10" reasons were , sadly i am dissapointed . All these "so called new" features that skoda proclaims are almost nearing a decade old . Nothing new to expect . I was atleast expecting a bigger screen for the audio system , a push start button , keyless entry etc . Come on skoda even the Nissan Micra offers these .
Old 19th August 2013, 14:20   #125
BHPian

Adaptve cruise control is missing
Forget auto park,it looks like there is going to be no reverse camera. It is a big let down ,at least for me.

I am getting more and more disappointed with what Skoda seems to be offering here. If they are going to skimp on all the important features then i hope they introduce it at a really mouth watering price
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 14:26   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Good set of features – all quite expected from a new launch in this category. But I guess majority of these features will be reserved for the top-end models. It will be good if they decide to keep features like 6 airbags, ESC etc. as standard across all variants.
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 14:28   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A
Adaptve cruise control is missing
Forget auto park,it looks like there is going to be no reverse camera. It is a big let down ,at least for me.

I am getting more and more disappointed with what Skoda seems to be offering here. If they are going to skimp on all the important features then i hope they introduce it at a really mouth watering price
Exactly , but this can be taken at a different perspective , maybe these could be the standard features on all the variants . But if these are the "exclusive" features that will define the octavia then skoda better launch this car at a price that would stun us !!! ...
Old 19th August 2013, 16:26   #128
BHPian

I think these 10 features are going to be standard in all the variants. At least I hope so . None of the features on that list are exciting or segment firsts. I think we can expect more such revelations from Skoda as the launch date gets closer. If you think about it logically, if you were Skoda, would you reveal all the car's features in one go, a month before the launch? You wouldn't. You would instead reveal a small list of features to tease your customers, while ensuring that they are left wanting more so as to keep them interested, and coming back to site again and again. That is how you build suspense and a sense of anticipation among the costumers. Well, at least that is how I would do it.
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 16:38   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
I think these 10 features are going to be standard in all the variants. At least I hope so . None of the features on that list are exciting or segment firsts. I think we can expect more such revelations from Skoda as the launch date gets closer. If you think about it logically, if you were Skoda, would you reveal all the car's features in one go, a month before the launch? You wouldn't. You would instead reveal a small list of features to tease your customers, while ensuring that they are left wanting more so as to keep them interested, and coming back to site again and again. That is how you build suspense and a sense of anticipation among the costumers. Well, at least that is how I would do it.
I hope you are right, that is the only thing that makes sense-that these are basic features found on all models otherwise not to have reverse camera would be nothing short of a crime in my opinion

but it is a 180 degree flip from generally what manufacturers do i.e. tom-tom the features present in the absolute top end even tough the lesser variants may have nothing similar.

the wait and watch continues
Old 19th August 2013, 19:46   #130
Senior - BHPian

These actually seem to be features to be expected in the top-end trim IMO.
ESC, Sunroof, TPM, etc. are features they've always reserved for their higher end trim.

So far, all the excitement that was built up seems to be fast disappearing, especially due to small things like the multi-link suspension in the diesels, the same 140BHP diesel engine from the Laura, features that have failed to impress (compared to the Laura, I am only losing out on the awkwardly opening sunroof, and Bi-Xenons).
When I first saw the pictures of the international variants, I was getting increasingly tempted to swap the Laura for this, but the excitement seems to be slowly dying. A good example is the July 2012 issue of ACI - look at the ICE in that for example - that's what we need!)

Lets hope Skoda realizes this, and launches a true top-end variant (L&K / vRS) with proper bells and whistles, to really redefine the segment as it has done repeatedly in the past.

Last edited by lamborghini : 19th August 2013 at 19:48.
Old 19th August 2013, 19:49   #131
BHPian

I think and also seriously hope that the features mentioned and also the particular car displayed at the launch was a mid range model and a top of the line L&K would be introduced with all the bells and whistles possible including a larger touch screen as was the case with the Laura as well. Laura L&K had even a different set of alloys and a touch screen compared to lower models (Correct me if I am wrong).

Skoda will need to repeat the Superb recipe with the Octavia as well, they launched the superb with all the features one could think of and more when it was launched. I mean if a manufacturer could be as innovative as including an umbrella in the door for our "Chauffeured Sahebs" lets give them the benefit of doubt and lets not loose hope yet.

BTW those LED tail lights in the European versions look hot which i do not think will make it even to the top of the line models. Why Skoda Why??

VVB
Old 19th August 2013, 20:35   #132
BHPian

I somehow believe that Skoda will launch the Octavia in a maximum of 3 trims for now . Skoda should include a reverse camera and keyless entry at least on the top end L&K so it stands out from the crowd . Even if skoda skips on the equipment front , we can only wish that atleast we get a great car to drive !! ( fingers crossed ) .
Old 19th August 2013, 20:46   #133
BHPian

Went through the features. Has everything that is there in my Superb + Bluetooth, with only the electrically adjustable passenger seat missing. Given the Parktronic with a display on the screen, I don't think I would miss the rear camera. As for a start stop button, I have always found that to be a gimmick. So this certainly looks like a Elegance or L&K feature list, and I would expect some of these features to be dropped for the entry level version (with differentiation around trims between the two). Lets recognise that even the 5 series does not have bi xenon lamps in all its trims, and the 3 series lacks front parking sensors. And this is a D1 segment car.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 02:16   #134
Team-BHP Support

Carbuyer's review of the new Octavia vRS is worth a watch!

suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 00:11   #135
PPS
Senior - BHPian

According to Motorbeam, launch is likely to be in the first week of October. Base Petrol will be priced at Rs 14 lakhs.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/skoda-...m-rs-14-lakhs/
Closed Thread