Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd August 2013, 11:15   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Alto K10: ZERO Star Safety Rating in the Latin NCAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It always makes sense to keep the small car for city run-abouts and take that sedan on the highways. They are more comfortable, safe and can handle much better than other versions like the hatchbacks, crossovers, SUVs etc.

What I am concerned with is the average Indian family; whose only car are these small hatchbacks which are mostly unsafe. And since, these are our only cars, we take that on highways too.
while the car is potentially unsafe, people seem to be aware of the limitations and use it accordingly. I don't know if there is a data available about the 'car-wise' highway deaths, but I am sure Alto will not be anywhere in the top.
In fact it will be interesting to see this data, may be on a new thread.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:22   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
while the car is potentially unsafe, people seem to be aware of the limitations and use it accordingly. I don't know if there is a data available about the 'car-wise' highway deaths, but I am sure Alto will not be anywhere in the top.
In fact it will be interesting to see this data, may be on a new thread.
That is a very important point that you have made and one good insight too. Quite right you are when you say that number of highway casualties in an Alto would be quite lower when compared to total casualties. What makes this count somewhat fuzzy is that one major bus accident can result in as many deaths as 6-7 small ill fated cars.

I have a feeling that SUV accidents and resultant casualties would be the highest in India. Just a feeling, no data to back it though, but the major cause would be since people 'do not use it accordingly' as stated in your post.

The thing is that here we associate safety with size, so when most think that most small cars are unsafe, at the same time big SUVs are safe. Hence they are driven dangerously on the highways.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:10   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
That is a very important point that you have made and one good insight too. Quite right you are when you say that number of highway casualties in an Alto would be quite lower when compared to total casualties. What makes this count somewhat fuzzy is that one major bus accident can result in as many deaths as 6-7 small ill fated cars.
We can discount the commercial people movers (buses, tempos, Sumos, Cruiser, Wingers, etc)
It would be tricky to keep the cabs (Logans, Indicas, Omnis etc) too as they are often driven recklessly, being overloaded to meet the commercial goals. Considering the very high number of Altos that are sold, how often we read about fatal accidents involving this car?
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:28   #154
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the accidents happening at so called city speeds are as bad a those on highway. Remember these tests are also held at city speeds not highway speeds.

If a car is unsafe, it is unsafe for driving, irrespective of the environment/ roads. However, not only this car is unsafe, a lot many cars of its age, including my own car is unsafe, if tested under the latest labs & regulations. The best option would be to upgrade/ change ASAP.

I only hope sanity prevails, & people start shifting preferences for safer vehicles, rather than bigger ones or holding on to vehicles for ages.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 14:43   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The parts that are 'removed', or as manufacturers would say 'added on for other markets' are not really structural. More like things that were added on specifically for the purpose of getting a better crash rating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
If you remember, please update the thread.
Ha! I remember. In this case it was Mahindra!

I was chatting with someone about Mahindra's upcoming chassis and he said they have several variations. Some for India, and some for crash-test countries - which have a few additional pieces added on.

Link (Mahindra says no to all-new cars until FY2016)

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2013 at 14:44.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 20:30   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Some for India, and some for crash-test countries - which have a few additional pieces added on.
Thanks.
Disturbed to find the practice so prevalent.

Does the Bolero pass any modern crash norm, pieces added or not?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 05:49   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am not surprised,I believe Tata Nano has a better rating Euro NCAP,isnt it?
The Nano & many popular Indian cars failed the Global NCAP test!
http://www.motorbeam.com/general/pop...p-crash-tests/
Gary Grubb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 23:48   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Latin NCAP latest result shows another ZERO star for Chevrolet.

The Chevrolet Sail is a popular compact sedan for the Latin American market. The unit that was tested is produced in China and assembled in Colombia. The Sail scored zero stars in Adult Occupant Protection and two stars in Child Occupant Protection.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 709
Size:  27.4 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 713
Size:  51.9 KB

Reactions from the test results-
Quote:
María Fernanda Rodríguez, Latin NCAP President said: “I’m shocked that we keep finding zero star Chevrolets in the Latin American market. Whilst other manufactures have shown improvement over the course of the last five years, GM models continue to disappoint.
Quote:
Alejandro Furas, Latin NCAP Secretary General said: “Latin NCAP is concerned by the low safety levels offered by Chevrolet models that have been tested by Latin NCAP over the 5 years of the programme. Especially as Chevrolet offer good safety levels at affordable prices in other markets. Latin NCAP was further concerned after GM’s Mary Barra’s recent statements in Davos where she declined to commit to offer airbags as standard equipment for the Latin American consumers.

Source- Latin NCAP

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th April 2016 at 23:52.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 09:48   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

According to Latin NCAP, GM has the worst average crash test rating of all the major global manufacturers active in Latin America.

It's one of several Chevrolet cars that have done poorly on the tests. The Aveo, Spark and Agile cars without air bags also have gotten zero stars on Latin NCAP's tests.

Quote:
Many other brands - including Chery, Geely, Hyundai, Nissan, Fiat and Renault - also sell cars that have gotten zero stars in the group's crash tests
GM's Response -GM says it will phase out cars without air bags

General Motors Co.said Thursday it will phase out cars without air bags and other safety features after its Chevrolet Sail subcompact flunked a crash test in Latin America.
GM reiterated a pledge it made last summer to spend $5 billion developing safer cars for emerging markets. The cars will have air bags and three-point seat belts in all positions.

The new cars will start appearing in the 2019 model year.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...-bags/51836305

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th April 2016 at 09:49.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 10:40   #160
mxh
BHPian

Companies like these whose cars receive 0 star ratings are shameless and motivated by nothing other than profits. They should not be trusted and people should stop buying their cars.
mxh is online now   Reply With Quote