Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th August 2013, 12:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Hyundai India introduces Santro Xing Celebration Edition

Link to News Section

South Korean car maker Hyundai is marking the completion of over 15 years of operations in the Indian car market with a celebration edition of the car that started it all, the Santro hatchback. In 1998, Hyundai arrived into India with the Santro, also known as the Atos internationally. The first generation Santro, armed with a 1 liter petrol engine, gave India its first tall boy hatchback.

Hyundai India introduces Santro Xing Celebration Edition-hyundai-santro-xing-celebration-edition.jpg

Soon, Hyundai refreshed the Santro with a more powerful 1.1 liter Epsilon petrol engine which was followed by a new generation model of the hatchback, dubbed the Santro Xing in 2003. Despite the Santro Xing being around in India for a decade, the hatchback continues to be decent seller for Hyundai, clocking sales of about 4,000 monthly units on an average.

The car's "Celebration Edition" is the latest refresh in the series of updates the car has received ever since its initial launch. The Celebration Edition of the Hyundai Santro Xing adds the following features to the car,
  • Graphics on the flanks
  • Rear chrome garnish
  • Reverse parking sensors with LED display
  • Manual sun blind for rear windscreen
  • New floor mats
  • Blaupunkt audio system

The Santro Xing with the Celebration Edition pack of feature can be specified on the GL Plus variant of the car. Mechanically, the car remains unchanged. The 1,061cc-4 cylinder petrol engine that outputs 62 Bhp of peak power and 96 Nm of peak torque drives the front wheels of the hatchback by means of a 5 speed manual gearbox.

The engine is available with Petrol and LPG-Petrol dual fuel options. The Santro Xing Celebration Edition is available in three colours: Coral White, Sleek Silver and Mushroom. Hyundai India is offering buyers of the Santro Xing a 3 lakh rupee/36 month loan at a 7.44% rate of interest. The price of the Santro Xing Celebration Edition is yet to be revealed.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 12th August 2013 at 12:04. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 12:46   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai India introduces Santro Xing Celebration Edition

Wish they'd worked a little more on the quality of the interiors rather than all these accessories. The last time I saw a Santro in the showroom the quality of the interiors left a lot to be desired.
kanuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 12:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Hyundai India introduces Santro Xing Celebration Edition

The iconic brand is in the fag end of its life, the recent move by Hyundai to accessorize it is IMO a last attempt to get the maximum out of the name. The car is still an on the list choice for many first timers and the refreshed versions will find some takers.

I too have been an owner of the Santro Xing model and still swear by the nimbleness of the car in the city runs. Wish they had provided the ABS in the car.

Last edited by ghodlur : 12th August 2013 at 12:55.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 13:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Wish they had provided the ABS in the car.
ABS used to be available as an option; had to be specifically ordered.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 14:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The iconic brand is in the fag end of its life, the recent move by Hyundai to accessorize it is IMO a last attempt to get the maximum out of the name. The car is still an on the list choice for many first timers and the refreshed versions will find some takers.

I too have been an owner of the Santro Xing model and still swear by the nimbleness of the car in the city runs. Wish they had provided the ABS in the car.
ABS was provided as an option. I paid 15,000 INR extra for ABS on my AT (Circa 2005).
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 14:53   #6
BHPian

I dont think Hyundai will stop selling this car in India anytime soon. It has recently acquired a new-found interest as the most common cab in Mumbai City. (Black and Yellow). With the government enforcing a law to remove all Fiat Taxis off the city's roads soon. I would expect Santro Sales to go only northwards for some time.
performance plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 14:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Very much in line with Maruti's LEs.
Actually not the company's fault, they cannot soup up an entry segment car too much as the higher prices will not keep them as a VFM Product and who knows a little more may make the buyers look into the next segment.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 17:49   #8
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe the Santro may be discontinued. If so, then this is a stock clearance sale by adding value in the form of a bunch of dealer/factory fitted accessories.

The Santro has been left out of Hyundai's new marketing push on the company's India website, along with the Accent which has already been discontinued. The Eon is soon going to get the 3-cyl Kappa 1.0 lit. engine, in addition to the 3-cyl Epsilon 0.8 lit., according to some reports. With the Grand i10 making its entry shortly, the existing i10 may be repositioned slightly lower, with fewer variants.

Such a strategy would leave no place for the Santro, which would be replaced by a combination of the Eon 1.0 lit. and the i10 1.1 lit. Who knows, Hyundai may also decide to introduce the Kappa 1.0 lit. engine on the current i10 either as its sole engine option or in addition to the Kappa 1.2 lit. That would mean the probable discontinuation of the Epsilon 1.1 lit. in India. It remains to be seen how Hyundai will position the current line-up after the introduction of the Grand i10 (hopefully with a different name).

Hyundai could also decide to adopt the Dzire Tour strategy and offer the Santro (with CNG kits) primarily for taxi/fleet sales. Either way, the original tall boy hatchback has been a stellar performer for Hyundai all these years. It is the car that established the company in India and lead it to its current position. If it is retired, then the tall boy can proudly leave the scene with its head held high.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 18:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I believe the Santro may be discontinued. If so, then this is a stock clearance sale by adding value in the form of a bunch of dealer/factory fitted accessories.

The Santro has been left out of Hyundai's new marketing push on the company's India website, along with the Accent which has already been discontinued. The Eon is soon going to get the 3-cyl Kappa 1.0 lit. engine, in addition to the 3-cyl Epsilon 0.8 lit., according to some reports. With the Grand i10 making its entry shortly, the existing i10 may be repositioned slightly lower, with fewer variants.

Such a strategy would leave no place for the Santro, which would be replaced by a combination of the Eon 1.0 lit. and the i10 1.1 lit. Who knows, Hyundai may also decide to introduce the Kappa 1.0 lit. engine on the current i10 either as its sole engine option or in addition to the Kappa 1.2 lit. That would mean the probable discontinuation of the Epsilon 1.1 lit. in India. It remains to be seen how Hyundai will position the current line-up after the introduction of the Grand i10 (hopefully with a different name).
Well said. Totally agree. I posted similar opinion in another thread today.

i10 prices start at 3.75 for the 1.1 and 4.4 for the 1.2. I expect the Grand to be priced upwards of 4.5L, with the i10 series banking on the lower 1.1 variants. Also, i20 range starts from 4.85 L which actually leaves them with very little play area. i10 has to be pushed lower, but then Eon is climbing the ladder with a bigger petrol engine too.

Such a strategy leaves them with almost no space for the old warhorse. Expect it to be discontinued soon. Its a shame otherwise, since they would be selling three generations of the same car!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 23:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Such a strategy leaves them with almost no space for the old warhorse. Expect it to be discontinued soon. Its a shame otherwise, since they would be selling three generations of the same car!
I believe that there is nothing wrong in selling multiple generations of a car, as long as they....sell. Maruti has done this with considerable success.

Why would a car manufacturer want to kill a product which has selling 3000-4000 cars every month? Even if the newer siblings are being conceived with different organs, Hyundai could, at best, modify and rebrand the Santro to add even different value to a seasoned product.

As someone earlier has stated, the Santro is well received among the taxi segment in areas like Mumbai. Perhaps, Hundai could modify and position a bare-bones Santro to cater to this huge market with an attractive price tag. After all, do consider the strengths of a bare bones Taxi Santro....

1. It is a tried and test product, so reliability is quite high.
2. Compared to the Wagon-R, the Santro has much better boot space.
3. A tall-bodied budget Santro taxi will still ensure easy ingress/egress to passengers.
4. Since there has been little development to the Santro over the past few years, Hyundai could, in fact, reduce the price and offer a Taxi Santro (like the Maruti DZire Tour).

Heck, they could even rename the Taxi Santro as "TAXSAN" or "CABSAN".

I have recently had the opportunity to drive my uncle's 2006 Santro and I was very impressed by its torque and steering feel, so much so that I feel that my i10 is no match to the Santro on these two factors.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 23:17   #11
BHPian

Quite like the manual sun blind addition. Never seen that in a car in this segment, or one up.

The OVRM's still are old school. At least internally adjustable one, Hyundai??

Does the Motor Vehicles Act say anywhere that 'Limited Edition' versions have to have tacky graphics? What bout some stripes?? Racing stripes, maybe.
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 09:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai should get it in no simpler terms, with nearly 4000 units sold monthly both in person and commercial segment, this is one car that is their stable war horse for some good time in the future.

Come to think of it even M800 sells around 1500 units even now in tier 2 cities, while Santro is well qualified to sell in these cities as it complies to the norms. In our market people give value to tried and tested product.

A case in point is one of my friend planning to buy a hatch chose the Figo over Beat/ Pulse etc because it is a proven and a good performer and has neutral looks compared to funky designs. So strongly believe Santro has a market for quite some time now.

One thing they should do is to spruce up the Santro with a refresh so that the interest in the car remains. Afterall it does not take them a lot of money to keep churning out this model with the power plant and other mechanicals already in place. They could also plonk the 1.0l kappa if they wish to discontinue the 1.1l.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 09:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

The Celebration edition or otherwise, this car deserves every single bit of praise it has been getting till date. The Hyundai Santro deserves to be right there amongst the top 10 no nonsense, affordable, minimal maintenance hatchbacks that are currently available in our country. I don't see Hyundai phasing out the Santro any time soon - this one's here to stay!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 10:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't see Hyundai pulling the plug on one of its decent sellers in this competitive market, esp. when its trying to challenge the market leader- MS. Hyundai is broadening its product portfolio and i10 Grand will only help to fill an empty slot. The Eon is right there as a decent entry segment car while the Santro acts a good filler between the Eon & i10. The success (or failure) of the i10 grand is still to be seen hence, it will be too early to write off the Santro from its existing portfolio.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 22:22   #15
BHPian

Santro is the best hyundai in india till date

Unlike the near segment offering the i10 it has metal under bonnet sheets and not fiber, more safe, cheapest to maintain and as per inputs from a known hyundai insider its 1.1 engine is much more durable than the marketing acclaimed kappa

No wonder there is no kappa cng variant i10 rather only 1.1 cng

Big cars from hyundai sell primarily bcoz of there design appeal to indians and there second best service network in the country and yes their refined engines and smooth gearboxes

I am very happy with this city runabout horse of mine

Infact i always felt that rather than launching eon they should and could have reduced the santro price and it would have captured even better mkt share vs the small marutis and if at all any change or upgrDation required that should have been interior change as although its still very cute and durable but vs i10 looks dated
namit is offline   Reply With Quote