Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th August 2013, 22:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Rumour: Skoda India to offer 5 year standard warranty on its Cars

Post warranty if u can source the parts you just need to find a mechanic to fix it. There are people who do that from day 1 of their purchase.

Have you tried checked rates of genuine parts of german cars outside the manufacturer service station.

You can save a loads of money in sourcing the parts.

You just need the right mechanic though
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 23:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Amigo, I didn't mean you should be buying second grade spares. Heck, I don't have a single non-TVS item on my bike, except the tires, tubes and oil. Always replaced with OE parts.

I meant, if you take your car to a dealer, there is every chance that they'll pile on unnecessary items to be replaced, regardless of whether needed or not and hence increase sales of spares. If you take the car to an FNG, instead, they would then try to repair or only replace what is really necessary.
Same as doctors. They make you have a 101 tests just for fun, whether you need those tests or not! The world has become a greedy money grubbing sort of place.

Like I keep saying, stop the world turning for a bit, 'cos I wanna get off...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 23:29   #18
BHPian

CHALO BHAI..Skoda bashing starts

Guys, I will request all of us to remain objective here. While I do recognize that Skoda A.S.S is not the best, the amount of bashing of Skoda we do on this forum is unheard of.

Some of it actually comes from folks who have neither experienced a SKoda car not its A.S.S. Just heard from some other folks that the A.S.S is really horrendous. I find that hilarious. I personally believe that Skoda makes lovely cars and if they are trying to get their act together on the service front, it can only be a good thing.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 13th August 2013 at 23:31.
Abhi_Automobile is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 00:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
CHALO BHAI..Skoda bashing starts

Guys, I will request all of us to remain objective here. While I do recognize that Skoda A.S.S is not the best, the amount of bashing of Skoda we do on this forum is unheard of.

Some of it actually comes from folks who have neither experienced a SKoda car not its A.S.S. Just heard from some other folks that the A.S.S is really horrendous. I find that hilarious. I personally believe that Skoda makes lovely cars and if they are trying to get their act together on the service front, it can only be a good thing.
Team-BHP is one place where I'd say objectivity is present more often than not in discussions. One is less likely to see mindless bashing here, a credit to the level & quality of moderation on the forum. I'm a passive member on some other automotive fora, and the amount of trolling, name-calling and general mayhem is unbelievable sometimes.

As for the Skoda A.S.S. horror stories, there are numerous first-hand accounts on this forum itself. As for the 'hear-say' argument, a lot of us may not own Skoda cars ourselves, but have owners among close friends & family, and may know of genuine experiences through them.

If only an owner was allowed to have/post a valid opinion about a certain car/brand, most threads (except those for popular & high selling models) would die out within a few pages at most, and never get the kind of diverse & knowledgeable responses we currently get out of them.

And despite all the Skoda-bashing, I'm yet to see even one forum member actually say anything bad about the cars themselves. I believe it's unanimous on T-BHP that Skoda makes some of the best cars and provides some of the worst A.S.S. available. That's not bashing, simply the truth, as it is right now.

I'm first in line saying they need to provide better service, but I also have no qualms in admitting I'll happily buy a Skoda (for my next car) if they do so.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 00:49   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Some of it actually comes from folks who have neither experienced a SKoda car not its A.S.S. Just heard from some other folks that the A.S.S is really horrendous.
You don't need to own a car to know about the general service levels of a brand.

The Skoda service horror stories are well documented across the forum and they definitely influence the opinion of the readers. So while it is not first hand experience, its definitely an "informed" opinion instead of hearsay.

And this is true for any other brand, not just Skoda
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 01:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Many might think that I ask too much, but I am interested to know if they (Okay, Volkswagen in my case) are ready to return the money we paid for the extended warranty for the existing customers? Else, is this a plain marketing strategy or have they increased the life expectancy of any part to last 5 years that could have lasted 4 years earlier?

May be I'll put my question simpler : why were they not confident in selling 5 year warranty earlier and why (any specific) they are now? Or do I just have to see it as a discount offer - to give additional 3 years warranty free?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 01:25   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Many might think that I ask too much, but I am interested to know if they (Okay, Volkswagen in my case) are ready to return the money we paid for the extended warranty for the existing customers? Else, is this a plain marketing strategy or have they increased the life expectancy of any part to last 5 years that could have lasted 4 years earlier?

May be I'll put my question simpler : why were they not confident in selling 5 year warranty earlier and why (any specific) they are now? Or do I just have to see it as a discount offer - to give additional 3 years warranty free?
I'm not sure if/when this 5 year standard warranty plan will materialize, but if/when it does, it would be fair to offer existing customers (like you) at least an extra year on their (paid) extended warranties to bring everyone on the same warranty level.

I too suspect it's more to do with salvaging their currently tattered service image, rather than any drastic change in product quality per se (which is already top notch, to be honest).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th August 2013 at 01:28.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 07:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
While I do recognize that Skoda A.S.S is not the best, the amount of bashing of Skoda we do on this forum is unheard of. Some of it actually comes from folks who have neither experienced a SKoda car not its A.S.S.... if they are trying to get their act together on the service front, it can only be a good thing.
Agree fully. Every time there is any post about Skoda, people drag in Harish's case, as if that is the only experience anyone has ever had. As a Skoda owner (and someone who has owned Marutis, Hondas and Hyundais as well), I must say that their service is no worse than that of the other brands I have dealt with. Will dealers dump unnecessary "services" on you if you are not careful? Yes, with all these brands. Have there been well documented problems with the DQ 200? Yes, in India and elsewhere. But is Skoda dealing with these effectively? As the experience of Superb owners proves, it has. They have provided goodwill warranty services on the DQ 200 to me and others, they have even replaced cars or refunded money where people have raised a stink. I don't know what more one can reasonably expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

The Skoda service horror stories are well documented across the forum and they definitely influence the opinion of the readers. So while it is not first hand experience, its definitely an "informed" opinion instead of hearsay.
The point that Abhi seems to be making is that there is a certain amount of group-think here. Every bad experience with Skoda is played up enormously - every decent experience (whether that of Shankar or dkaile or me, despite the problems I have had) is discounted. If Skoda actually launches an unprecedented (for India) 5 year warranty, hats off to them. It's just what people like me have been saying they should do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Many might think that I ask too much, but I am interested to know if they (Okay, Volkswagen in my case) are ready to return the money we paid for the extended warranty for the existing customers?
Thoma, lets get real. Prices and terms keep changing all the time. I got my car with a 2 year warranty, and Skoda refused to sell me the extension even though it was launched just 2 months after I bought my car. If people improve, we should praise t hat, and not crib about why they were not there earlier.
Hayek is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 08:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: Rumour: Skoda India to offer 5 year standard warranty on its Cars

@anarchy

We need some concrete proof of the information, I guess you have re-ignited the Skoda bashing. Although its a good move by Skoda, it all depends upon how customers are treated when they claim under warranty. Thats where Skoda needs to look into more depth. Apart from the std warranty will Skoda offer extended warranty too then?

One thing that Skoda needs to understand is unless the word to mouth response spreads in a good way, they can keep offering any amount of carrots. Customers will still remain apprehensive about buying Skoda cars. I have seen my colleague tearing his hair in frustration everytime his Fabia goes for service.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 08:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Agree fully. Every time there is any post about Skoda, people drag in Harish's case, as if that is the only experience anyone has ever had. As a Skoda owner (and someone who has owned Marutis, Hondas and Hyundais as well), I must say that their service is no worse than that of the other brands I have dealt with.

The point that Abhi seems to be making is that there is a certain amount of group-think here. Every bad experience with Skoda is played up enormously - every decent experience (whether that of Shankar or dkaile or me, despite the problems I have had) is discounted. If Skoda actually launches an unprecedented (for India) 5 year warranty, hats off to them. It's just what people like me have been saying they should do.
Agree fully. It has become like a fad to blame Skoda and relate everything about Skoda to harish' experience. I am not discounting what he has gone through, but its not fair that when Skoda plans to initiate an industry first Five year warranty, people view it with scepticism with questions like "What prompted them to give a 5 year warranty now", are their products not lasting beyond 5 years, etc. Its like they just cannot do anything right.

Sigh! We have a saying that "For the unwanted daughter-in- law, even breathing is a crime".

Last edited by hrman : 14th August 2013 at 08:31.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 08:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Great move Skoda. Keep it up.

Not to regress the issue,
Is the Skoda service improving? - a big YES;
Have I faced any major issues with my Skoda - NO (13K kms and going strong)
Has my gearbox failed - NO
Does my AC Chill - YES
Is it one of the best cars of my life and terrific value for money - YES

Are Skoda cars any good - a definite YES

We at TBhp should start highlighting the good experiences with Skoda too which are also well documented rather to just sticking out with a few bad ones.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 09:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Great move Skoda if its true. Over the last 10 or so years of Skoda's existence in India if one has to sum their brand's recall it would be something like 'Great cars, poor service, expensive spares or repairs'.

One thing everyone seems to agree upon is that their cars are great , but they are vary of Skoda's reputation when it comes to after sales service. They are scared that they may not be able to afford the high costs of repair if certain parts were to fail. This move to offer five year warranty, which coincides with one their most crucial launches would certainly attract a lot of such doubting potential customers. I was one of many Skoda sceptics, but their 2+2 years warranty was what gave me the confidence to ultimately go for one of their products and I am must say I have not had a single moment of regret.

As a Skoda owner I'll take one step more than Hayek and say that in my two and a bit years of ownership I find Skoda's service better than even Toyota or Hyundai. Its easier to get appointments, I get personalised attention and the work has always been carried out to my satisfaction. In fact they have never pushed me for unwarranted services and spares replacements. On one occasion when I wanted them to replace brake pads, their service advisor assured me that the pads will last 10K more kms and its better to replace during next service. It certainly helps when the service centre is not overflowing with cars and personnel are not overworked.

Disclaimer : I am only speaking from my own experience. I know there are a lot of aggrieved Skoda customers out there.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 14th August 2013 at 09:42.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 09:32   #28
MCR
BHPian

A seriously good move by Skoda!

When I took the TD of Rapid recently, I was seriously impressed by the car. I loved it more than the Vento to be precise. The only thing that stopped from cutting the check was the A$$ horror stories. Though many members in the forum have had very good Service experiences, I felt its still a mixed bag, especially after talking to a few Rapid owners present in the service lounge!. Not that the other manufacturers (MSIL Inclusive) are exceptional in terms of service , but are slightly better off at this stage.

What about the spare part costs ( I am interested in Rapid)? Is it abnormally expensive or in tune with the other cars in this category today?

Last edited by MCR : 14th August 2013 at 09:35. Reason: Typo
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 09:53   #29

I own two Hondas and one Skoda product. Also, I have owned 2 Suzuki's in the past. Let me tell you that SAs of both Honda and Skoda push non-essential services. I have had experience with Honda where the SA pushed 3-4 services worth 5-6K as mandatory as per HMSI. When I challenged him with the Owner's Manual, he backed off. I feel that it is up to us to save our hard-earned money from the A.S.S.

That said, I do feel that Honda and Suzuki dealers are more organized and informed compared to Skoda when it comes to customer interaction. When I drop my City/Jazz for service, I do not have to run after the Honda SAs but that is not the case for my Laura. Further, the Skoda dealer keeps the customer's cars in a pretty dusty environment as their center is not planned well.

I am considering a Yeti and if this extended warranty comes through then I will not be worried about bringing home another Skoda.
Sam007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 10:01   #30
BHPian

If true, it is indeed a very welcome move. I have been hoping for something similar to be announced during the unveiling of the octavia last week. Maybe they plan to do it along with launch.
I hope along with the standard 5 year warranty they offer the offer paid extended warranty for atleast a couple of more years
It will also be a good move for them to have a service contract made available so that you can have a reasonable grip on the total cost of ownership.
I have always loved their cars and in my immediate family there are 2 cars one Mk1 Octavia and a Rapid and i have to admit the experience has been not very nice. I see a lot of members mentioning that service is improving, which if true, is very good.
Inspite of all these my heart is set on them, i am hoping to see enough to convince my mind too
Mohan Mathew A is offline   Reply With Quote