Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th August 2013, 07:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: 2014 Toyota Innova Facelift - Now Launched!

That looks pretty bad. Its a chrome shower!

If this was not done by Toyota, this Innova could have landed in the W&W thread. Very worthy!

Hope they don't get it here. Any change on the engine mapping?
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 11:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Why is Toyota Still thinking of giving a facelift to Innova even in 2014 !! Shame on you Toyota. How far will you go by brainwashing people of T badge and legendary quality ?

I think this is their way of making sure that the resale value of old Innova's stay high !! by making sure that they make it more uglier with every update.

I was also under the impression that Toyota will be giving all new diesel engines to their products.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 17th August 2013 at 12:03.
Old 18th August 2013, 02:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Do what may by Toyota and what ever we say.. The Innova will sell.

Engine redefined! They will not even open the hood but just add chrome, LED Lamps (May be DRL's too) and call it some 'Refreshed version'

Anurag.

Ha ha ya man..just the costumes of the car are changed but not the engine 😆
--Vimal G
Old 18th August 2013, 16:32   #19
BHPian

Toyotas in general seem to be getting uglier IMHO. Being a former Innova owner, I loved the first models rounded looks as compared to the facelifts. This one looks like a hyena!
Sigh. Such a great machine.
What caught my eye was the auto-tranny. If that is true, I might want to buy one again.
Old 18th August 2013, 16:41   #20
MHG
BHPian

I guess I am the only guy who thinks Toyota has been making the right kind of facelifts to the Innova. The first model was one of the ugliest vehicles on Indian roads. The recent facelift tried to make the mini-van look a little more like a car but failed at that, although it did succeed in making the ugly rounded looks disappear for the better. This one seems to be eons ahead of the previous two and highlights the connection with the Fortuner really well.

All that said, its about time they launched an all-new model, or atleast an all new Engine which does not struggle at speeds above 110 km/h.
Old 18th August 2013, 18:36   #21
BHPian

It's not only the ugly facelifts that the T badge is giving to us but its also the hefty price tag the innova is coming with. I bought the first Innova in 2005 the variant with the double blower for 9.90Lakhs in April 2005 and the price for the same model today is around 17.4L OTR chennai. A whooping 7.5L increase in 8 years! Comparatively the 2013 Innova body when compared with first one is lighter and as someone said the structural design was much better in the first one than the current model. After all its the same engine similar body with minor tweaks to the front head and rear tail lamps how can there be so much of a difference in cost from the first gen to the current. Understandable that raw material prices have shot up but not to this extent that there will be so much price difference for the same car. Innova sales have dipped badly but they are able to sustain due to probably high profits per car sale.
zwift1819 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 18:58   #22
P76
BHPian

This ugly facelift (more aptly its a face-disfiguration) is needless, given that Toyota introduced a facelift only in 2012. IMO, Toyota could give the Innova a better lease of life by 1) Providing a six-speed gearbox, which would give a more relaxed high speed, 2) Up-tuning the current 2kd-FTV diesel engine like what Renault does to the 1.5 K9K, 3) Better NVH package to insulate engine noise
4) More goodies like auto folding orvms, six airbags, auto transmission options etc., (even cars below 12 lakhs such as the Verna offer these !)

I think the current Innova is good looking (though it is subjective), and moreover majority of the Innova buyers are more interested in the Comfort, Space and Reliability offered by the innova.
Old 18th August 2013, 19:10   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Along with this facelift and additional 50K increase in price tag is for sure. With this the innova will be just short of touching 20 lakhs which I perceive is very poor value for money no matter how reliable and lower maintenance cost the vehicles possess.
Old 18th August 2013, 19:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
I bought the first Innova in 2005 the variant with the double blower for 9.90Lakhs in April 2005 and the price for the same model today is around 17.4L OTR chennai. A whooping 7.5L increase in 8 years! Innova sales have dipped badly but they are able to sustain due to probably high profits per car sale.
Spot on zwift. The price doubles and the quality comes down. Is not this true (if not to this extent) for almost all the cars? I know of some guys who got almost their original price while selling their second-hand Diesel swifts in the year 2011 where in the quality of the new swift as to the strength of the body etc., has come down. With such kind of price, Toyota might on an average, be making a profit on a single vehicle that was made on selling two vehicles (or 1 and a half vehicle) earlier. So it is a lot easier on all the resources, right? Why I am saying this is the main component, i.e., the excise duty has in fact come down over the years.

The moot point is, why still we keep on buying these vehicles? This, in a situation where there are so many options available. (On some other thread I have written as to how an UGLY looking Chethak Scooter was bought by staying on a wait list, but that was a market with no options).Then, is it that all the manufacturers have formed a syndicate and have an agreement on keeping the prices at a certain level.

Or is it that we are simply stupid to buy such products, just because we have money to buy and have not yet developed a culture of rejecting a bad - not value for money - product? Are Indians capable of developing such a mentality and devising a mechanism of consumer reaction?

- Sai
Old 18th August 2013, 19:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

@Vihari, For sure mate. I 2nd you on it. Innova started as a affordable and reliable MPV but with passage of time it has lost the preferrential position amongst the consumers due availability of better choices in every respect of the segment. In a line of 20Lacs innova will never succeed because of its outdated demeanor.

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 18th August 2013 at 19:21. Reason: name
Old 18th August 2013, 19:37   #26
BHPian

^^^^^The toyota innova has no competition.It has peceived snob value as a chauffer driven car, proven reliability, very good resale, reasonable maintenance costs.diesel engine.very good touring manners. Balanced ride and handling.

Capitalism at work.They can get away with it. Even packaged drinking water cost has doubled People are still paying for it.

The ertiga/enjoy kind of vehicles will ultimately counter it.offering 80% of innova at 65-70% of the cost.

And toyota will probably launch a comprehensive update higher up the value chain
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 21:23   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post
The moot point is, why still we keep on buying these vehicles? This, in a situation where there are so many options available.
I agree that Innova is totally non VFM when it comes to gadgets and features in the car. And Toyota is literally looting customers when cars costing half its value are providing 6 airbags, ACC, rear view cameras and what not.
But let me answer your question as to why people still continue to buy the Innova. I own one and it has run 1.2L kms now. All I have spent on the car is around 3-4k every 10k kms for the regular oil change and stuff. Tyres changed once, brake pads changed twice. Other then that not a single paisa spent. Which other car in the market today fulfills my requirements:
1. Seat 7 adults comfortably for long distances.
2. No nonsense , reliable vehicle.
3. Car like drive ability in the city.
4. Easy on the pocket to maintain.

Answer is ZERO. And hence the Innova sells in the numbers that it does.
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 21:40   #28
BHPian

The Innova is a highly overpriced vehicle. Toyota won't even give you a rear blower and AC vents for all rows, unless you're willing to spend close to INR 14 lacs. These features are offered even in the entry level Xylo.

If Toyota wants ratchet up bigger numbers, may be it's time they started offering basic features in their cars- just harping on their engine reliability won't get them anywhere in this market.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 23:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
And hence the Innova sells in the numbers that it does.
I agree Mohit. I stand corrected regarding the part as to why should we buy a non-VFM vehicle even when other options are available. As per your experience, there is no alternate for Innova hence no other options.

But still my grouse is, these companies are selling their products way higher than a proper and appropriate price. This they would not do in other developing countries. In another thread it was discussed elaborately as to how, the DUSTER is being sold at a very high price, when compared with the price of its alter model in the UK. Now, Duster is the bread and butter car for Renault in India! Still they are extracting a heavy price from Indians!

- Sai
Old 19th August 2013, 00:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Answer is ZERO. And hence the Innova sells in the numbers that it does.
With all due respect Doctor, I've owned a Swift VDi, a Tata Nano, and a Mahindra Scorpio so far and spent the same amount per 10k service. In fact, I spent less than INR 1k on my Nano's 10k service. So what makes the Innova so special? It's nothing more than a claim of reliability.

I agree that the D-4D is a super-reliable engine. But does that justify the massive price tag? I think not. Toyota is just not giving enough features in cars below INR 14 lacs. And their claim of reliability is dead in the water when you look at how poor a vehicle the Etios is- that vehicle has a known suspension problem that Toyota is playing happy and dumb on.

I had the Innova in my shortlist when I bought my Scorpio. In the end, it did not make the cut because it is simply not VFM, and that matters a lot when you see the EMI that hits your account each month
Closed Thread