Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st August 2013, 05:35   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Terrano Unveiled : To be launched in early October

I think the Terrano looks much better than the Duster, especially the typical Nissan front end makes the vehicle look much more aggressive. The interiors also look much more premium that its French counterpart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post

Demand? I think there's enough demand, please look at sales of THAR, XUV, Scorpio, Safari, and other 4x4 in India. Imagine that section of market that Nissan can benefit from a 4x4 Mini-SUV!

I think its about time the consumer wakes up and starts petitioning online for a 4x4 Mini-Suv...

This is so not done.
Even if the sales of the vehicles you mention are in good numbers, it is not necessarily due to their 4-wheel drive variants. Apart form the Thar, which is a niche vehicle, it is mostly the non 4-wheel drive variants that actually bring in the biggest sales numbers. One of the biggest reason for this is price. Agreed there are enthusiasts like us who prefer a 4-wheel drive variant on the vehicle we buy, but the manufacturers have to think from the general population point of view and one of the biggest parameters that people look into whilst buying a vehicle is its price and what is being offered at that price (Value for money).

Enthusiasts apart, it is not often that people actually feel the need to have a 4-wheel drive system in their vehicle, since not only it adds to the initial cost of the car, but it also affects the fuel economy of the vehicle. Thus, manufactures in India always have and will keep concentrating on the need of the general population which forms the major chunk of their customer base, and not the automotive enthusiasts.

Like said in the post above, once the Terrano settles in the market (if it does), Nissan can think about launching premium variants which include the one with 4-wheel drive.
Stratos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 05:55   #47
BHPian

Agreed.

But why not a cvt then?

Is there not enough demand for an automatic transmission in india?

If not then why would we have i20s, ecosports, and some other smaller cars coming with AT now days...

Sometimes I wonder if its really about the market's demand or more about these manufactures trying to control market trends so they can make more money with less technology.

But coming back to 4x4, is XUV, endeavour and fortunner not selling substantial numbers of their 4x4? If they are then wouldnt it be nice to have a 4x4 in a segment lower?

Last edited by zen kobane : 21st August 2013 at 05:57.
Old 21st August 2013, 06:39   #48
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

The Terrano should sell an additional couple of thousand or so units every month - restoring the compact SUV sales of the Renault-Nissan alliance back to where it was before it was impacted by Ford's disruptive pricing strategy.

The visual differentiation bits of the Nissan version over the Duster are fairly minor. I mean, it looks just like the Micra-Pulse and Sunny-Scala badge engineering, despite Nissan having done more work than changing just the bumpers and lights. The sheet metal changes are not conspicuous, except the one on the hatch.

The real disappointment is the fact that they have carried over the LHD control stalk configuration from the Duster. Why this laziness, Nissan? If you can do supposedly expensive sheet metal changes and change the top portion of the central console/dashboard, then why omit a thing as simple as changing the stalk configuration to RHD? It should be the first thing that a true Japanese manufacturer like yourself should have done!
Old 21st August 2013, 06:51   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
But coming back to 4x4, is XUV, endeavour and fortunner not selling substantial numbers of their 4x4? If they are then wouldnt it be nice to have a 4x4 in a segment lower?
Ford sold 57 Endeavours in the month of July and out the 1669 Fortuners that Toyota sold, I am sure there were several 2WD variants as well.

The price at which these two vehicles are sold barely conflicts with the availability (or lack of it) of a 4WD system because they sit in an an almost premium SUV segment. But the cars we are talking about here sit in a segment which is more than 10 lac rupees lower in-terms of initial investment cost. At this price, I think that buying or not buying a 4WD vehicle is quite a compromise and also decision changer for several non auto-enthusiast customers.

The Micra and Sunny are selling in strictly OK numbers, Nissan still needs to work hard to break the market and properly settle in it. I think the slightly easier way to achieve this is to go from a cheaper car / variant to a premium one, thus slowly building the trust of the customer and not the other way round. I suggest we wait and see as to what variants Nissan throws at us once the Terrano starts selling in considerable numbers, that is, if it does.

Last edited by Stratos : 21st August 2013 at 06:54.
Old 21st August 2013, 06:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I dont think that buying a car according to its size is the sole criteria that one may have. .............
You are talking about the pros of the ES, which I never debated about. Infact I like the ES! My point was about the pricing. In other words, if the ES which is a "small car" with excise benefits can be priced at the 8-11 Lac price range, then how are bigger UVs in that price range not VFM? Just because the ES has more features?

Quote:
Its time for these compact SUV's now, theres a reason why Duster was selling 4k to 5k units a month and Ecosport started with around 5k units, market wants compact suv's from brands like Nissan, Ford, Renault and not big bulky suv's from Indian manufacturers.
Have a look at the monthly sales figures. M&M is in the top manufacturer's list in the 3rd position, below Maruti and Hyundai.

The main contributor to this is the Scorpio, Bolero and XUV. So it is definitely not true that the market does not want big UVs.
Old 21st August 2013, 06:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I dont think that buying a car according to its size is the sole criteria that one may have. Duster top end is more expensive than XUV W6 - its smaller in size, has way less features but it still sold twice the numbers of a XUV till the last month. The reason is that people prefer companies like Renault/Nissan to Tata/Mahindra because they know that cars from the Tata and Mahindra stable have constant niggles and service quality is nothing to talk about. If a car has a service interval of 10,000 kms/year then it should go once a year, you cant keep running to service centers every 3 months for something or other.

Not every one wants a large 7 seater like a Scorpio or Ertiga, urban people mostly need a good 4 seater which is refined, gives a good fuel efficiency ( which is poor with cars like Scorpio or Xuv due to their big engines and size) and can serve for atleast 5-6 years without any issues. The same reason why the overpriced Innova at 16 lakhs still sells in good numbers - the Toyota badge. I have a 2006 Scorpio which has done 1 lakh kms and recently had the liberty to drive a 07 Innova done 70k for a good 1200 kms - that car had zilch niggles, no rattles and is a much better car than our Scorpio.

Its time for these compact SUV's now, theres a reason why Duster was selling 4k to 5k units a month and Ecosport started with around 5k units, market wants compact suv's from brands like Nissan, Ford, Renault and not big bulky suv's from Indian manufacturers.
I agree with you on quality. I have a safari that has done 125000 kms. Recently I was driven in a hired innova which has done more than 1 lakh kms, it looked fresh. AC was chilling, dashboard looked great, no rattles, and the driver said he did not change the suspension either. And it was not driven sedately.

Compared to that there were many parts changed in my safari. There are niggles which get sorted out eventually.

But Tata and Mahindra caters to different market segments. In rural India, people still buy Quanto because it is the cheapest good looking MUV which seats 7. Servicing costs are really less, more so if you know the SA well, trust me they can make many many adjustments. So much so that servicing at Tata dealer for me now is cheaper than servicing at my local garage. And considering all the remote places the safari has taken me and the 4wd fun we had, I am not at all disappointed wit my car.

What we need is a 4wd compact SUV. Ecosport is a fantastic car, so is Terrano, and I am really disappointed that none of it comes with 4wd. At least Ecosport comes wit AT but I would have liked the AT to be priced lower.

Duster/Terrano seats 5, monocoque, has less number of dealerships, more expensive to maintain. SO for me, and many others, unless it is priced at per with ES, it makes more sense to go with Scorpio/Safari/Ertiga, at the cost of some niggles, or go with ES (it also seats 5, has more refinement, and water wading capability at least is way more than Duster and hopefully Terrano). By the way, Maruti service is the best (and cheap too) that I have experienced so far.

Last edited by sumannandy : 21st August 2013 at 07:01.
Old 21st August 2013, 07:06   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

The Terrano looks better than the Duster on the outside. But I feel Nissan didn't put much effort towards the interior. Did they blew money at the wrong places?

It still looks more or less the same as the Duster from these pictures. The instrument cluster for instance doesn't belong to a car worth more than 10 L. Don't like the shade of the plastics used as well. I expected the interior to be more upmarket.

Let's wait for the pricing.
Old 21st August 2013, 07:18   #53
BHPian

Well, Terrano is surely coming in with three engine options - 1.6 Petrol, and two 1.5 Dci engines.

I still think, Duster is much better in terms of styling. It does have the "No-Nonsense" look. And don't know why, but like the rear profile of Duster better than the Terrano.

Also, the AC vents of the Terrano look confused with rectangles and circles thrown in. Either be rectangular or circular through out. The Music player looks like from a lower segment car and Nissan could have much better with it, since they have decided to not offer the steering mount controls!!!

The ORVM adjustment is still awkwardly placed and the door handles are still pull type!!! If Nissan could make so many sheet metal changes, were these two things so difficult to correct? OR were hey going to add another couple of grands to the pricing?? Completely fail to understand.

I remember seeing the Duster in the showroom for the first time and it was too standing on those huge rocks with people all over it. But not a single hint of dust on the vehicle.

To me, it does look like the Nissan have another sales dud and have seriously managed to disappoint the prospective buyer with the premium they are planning to charge over Duster. This car at best could have worked out better for Renualt as a facelift for Duster.

Nissan could have brought in their Juke at a good price point which might have given them some share of the so hot Mini SUV segment.
Old 21st August 2013, 07:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

One thing for sure, Terrano looks miles better than the plane jane Duster especially when we see the comparo pics posted in the first page.

That said will it double the sale of vehicle combines Duster/Terrano. Probably not since they will eat into each others market directly and may end up with the same numbers as the Duster sold originally stand alone.

There are may such instances where badge engineering has not worked wonders in bumping up sales. It only give customers more choices in terms of not only variants but body styles of the same vehicle to choose from.
Old 21st August 2013, 08:11   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Nissan altered the bootlid for differentiating their product from the Renault, but left the C-Pillar untouched to reduce costs - leaving such inconsistent panel gaps.

Bad(ge!) engineering!

Name:  Nissan Terrano009.JPG
Views: 2441
Size:  65.5 KB
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 09:31   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post

Enthusiasts apart, it is not often that people actually feel the need to have a 4-wheel drive system in their vehicle, since not only it adds to the initial cost of the car, but it also affects the fuel economy of the vehicle. Thus, manufactures in India always have and will keep concentrating on the need of the general population which forms the major chunk of their customer base, and not the automotive enthusiasts.
My previous rant on the 4WD aside, I completely agree with you. One of the strange bits of feedback I got on my Scorpio was that people don't know the value of 4WD, and hence the resale value would be based on the normal 2WD LX and not the INR 1.5 lacs higher LX 4WD.

One can't argue with that logic when most people in India buy SUVs for the prestige factor, rather than as vehicles to conquer all roads, and use them only to cruise around the city.

That said, at least offering it as optional gives people the choice, which is not happening either in the Duster or the Ecosport, which I don't understand at all. Talking of Renault Nissan alone, I wonder why? When they export that variant all over the place, wouldn't it be nice to offer to customers, or do they believe Indians to be so inferior that we don't even deserve a choice, except what crumbs they decide to throw at us.

At least Mahindra is bold enough to offer an entry level 4WD in the Scorpio, which is a real VFM vehicle

Last edited by HighwayofLife : 21st August 2013 at 09:41.
HighwayofLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 09:35   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Well, it had more to do with the way the car was unveiled rather than Nissan not bringing in a clean car.
Agree to that, but still the inner wheel arch area could be cleaned. Not surprised with this, even Skoda unveiled the Octavia in an equally dirty manner. There was so much of mud in some area !
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 09:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

After looking at the Nissan, I now wonder if the Duster is the better looking of the two. Apart from some materials and color tone, everything is a clone to the Renault on the inside.

The engine in the Nissan appears to be longitudinal. I find it strange that the location for the oil cap is vastly different between the two cars when the engine is the same. Even the plumbing for the inter cooler is vastly different or it is hidden by the engine cover on the Renault. Slight re position for the air intake too.

On the overall, there is nothing exciting about this new launch.

Not to be compared but I am still doing it, between the top of the line Duster and Fluence, what will you buy? I'd pick the Fluence eyes closed.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 21st August 2013 at 09:57.
Old 21st August 2013, 09:54   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranvakati View Post
I agree. Indian market is driven by price, especially sub 10 Lakh segment. But I always buy based on my requirements. I upgraded from swift to duster as I travel between chennai and Bangalore heavily(every 2 months with hefty luggage). Also every other week I travel to my village. In addition I go on tour every quarter again with hefty luggage and at least 4 ppl.

Duster suited my requirements to the tee. I couldn't find any other match at that price range. Eco sport is no Way closer to my reqs. I cannot call a move from swift to ecosport an upgrade, coz my swift meets almost all the reqs of what an ecosport can do except for the ground clearance.

IMHO ecosport is for first time buyers who are eying for b2 hatch or for those who want to upgrade from A segment.

Duster is a sedan crossover whereas ecosport is a hatch crossover.
There are many (me included) who want it all - ABS, airbags, Auto AC, why not an AT, etc under 10L. ES screams BINGO!!
The 20L bucket ones are not VFM, and driving in the city would never be a breeze too.
Old 21st August 2013, 10:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

I definitely for one like the looks of this car better than that of the Duster , especially the front and the rear. looks more sleek and even more planted than the Duster.
Closed Thread