Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th August 2013, 13:07   #31
BHPian

Default Re: 2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved

This reminds me -- PS: I am way offtopic

Why does Team-BHP review (detailed review, that is) new offerings or major upgrades only? We have seen folks complain that quality has gone down, etc etc. We all read and recommend reviews but dont you feel its outdated at times?
Can all/new changes be reviewed and the original review be updated? If its not a big deal, i would request a review of all models every 24 months or so!
Thoughts?
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 19:37   #32
BHPian

Using the stone guard to reduce ground clearance and avoid excise is smart , but I guess Govt is revising related rules to have a check on such calculations.
slamnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 21:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post

Why does Team-BHP review (detailed review, that is) new offerings or major upgrades only?
Thoughts?
This is because the moderators get to review only brand new cars that are just launched/about to be launched from their respective manufacturers. These reviews are fully arranged for by the manufacturers and are often done to spread awareness about their product.

Quote:

We have seen folks complain that quality has gone down, etc etc. We all read and recommend reviews but dont you feel its outdated at times?
Do you seriously think a car manufacturer will arrange for a review of a car that has been used for an year or two?? That way, all its major drawbacks will get highlighted and it will only end up being tainted for its flaws.

For an informed buyer, it is imperative that he/she :

1. Reads the official reviews from different forums and magazines.
2. Reads multiple ownership reviews of the particular brand available all over the net.
3. TAKES A TEST DRIVE to determine whether the car suits him/her or not and then make a decision.

I hope this helps
mohitk1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 23:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitk1993 View Post
3. TAKES A TEST DRIVE to determine whether the car suits him/her or not and then make a decision.

I hope this helps
I agree with you here. Why should someone go with just a review from someone. I mean anyone can come up with his/her review of the car, but its only when you actually take a test drive that you get to know whether it fits your bill. I never go for these so called reviews as it tends to be biased. Always go for a detailed test drive and judge for yourself. No one can tell you what to buy so make your own smart decisions.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:07   #35
BHPian

Smile Re: 2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved

Quote:
Do you seriously think a car manufacturer will arrange for a review of a car that has been used for an year or two??
You got me wrong here. I didnt mean used cars..

As an example, a todays review of a brand new ARIA might look different from the review done here when it was launched.
As regards to vehicle availability, I dont think that would be an issue for T-BHP. Some dealers would be happy I would think.
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
You got me wrong here. I didnt mean used cars..

As an example, a todays review of a brand new ARIA might look different from the review done here when it was launched.
As regards to vehicle availability, I dont think that would be an issue for T-BHP. Some dealers would be happy I would think.
Oh..if that's the case, I apologize for the misunderstanding. Yes, you are correct; a product that comes from the factory a few months down the line surely has all its niggles ironed out. But don't you think it will be a tedious task for any big forum/magazine to test the cars again just to check for a few minor issues? With more than a 100 cars currently on sale, it will be a job of gigantic proportions for any big media-house, let alone Team-BHP.

I repeat: an informed buyer must check for himself if the product that he is buying suits him or not. Reading official reviews/ownership reviews is a must, I vehemently agree; however, IT IS HE who has to live with the product for as long as he needs, thus THE FINAL DECISION should be his. If someone wants to buy an Aria now, the onus lies on him to check the car in person and see if all the niggles have been sorted out or not. He must read the various ownership reviews available, talk to the customers facing the issues (if any) and then MAKE A DECISION.
mohitk1993 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:15   #37
BHPian

While it's indeed commendable that Mahindra has tried to get rid of the issues, would have preferred issues to be sorted and not reduced which looks like the case.

I would have plonked the money for the XUV, but the issues, niggles and rattles have stopped me from doing so.
kewlferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 18:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:

I repeat: an informed buyer must check for himself if the product that he is buying suits him or not. If someone wants to buy an Aria now, the onus lies on him to check the car in person and see if all the niggles have been sorted out or not. He must read the various ownership reviews available, talk to the customers facing the issues (if any) and then MAKE A DECISION.
Agree to that. One must check out the cars in flesh and blood and TD them at least once. I prefer to drive a friend's / colleague's car that would not have any time limitations and one would get a first hand knowledge of issues with it. The reviews are for you to know the cars part by part better so that you can check out the finer aspects better during a TD. Call it being forearmed by being forewarned.

Why use the ARIA as a test case in an XUV thread ? No updates there, could mean (a) a great product (b) not many sold for them to be used / abused for issues to spill out. Being an ARIA owner since May 12 and driven about 18300 kms now, I'd vote for (a).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari View Post
While it's indeed commendable that Mahindra has tried to get rid of the issues, would have preferred issues to be sorted and not reduced which looks like the case.

I would have plonked the money for the XUV, but the issues, niggles and rattles have stopped me from doing so.
Thanks for a frank opinion. The XUV's chart busting spell is over now. Even the lazy Min of Transport has been awakened by M&M's GC stunt and the laws are to be amended soon. Case of one rotten apple spoiling the basket, eh ?

While the XUV was conceived and built as a star product, I guess greed got the better half way through (read mktg took over the project from the engineers) and that's the reason behind the issues, which point to a hurried launch rather than wait for the testing and fixing process to get over.

This is evident from the Storme - a product that was launched seemingly late, but not before the homework was over. And yes, without a stone guard to lower GC and duck 30K rupees.
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 06:17   #39
BHPian

Mahindra will launch a new base variant ‘W4′ for the XUV500 by the end of this month.
Lesser features and thereby reduced entry level price.

Attaching the comparison spec sheet from IAB site;
2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved-mahindraxuv500w4variantfeatures.jpg
sarathlal is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 06:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Mahindra will launch a new base variant 'W4′ for the XUV500 by the end of this month.
This is very good news - W4 now falls into the territory of Duster and slightly shy of ecosport (the wait turns most of them off). XUV500 is a very capable SUV and for me it notches higher than these two. Also, W8 has not compromised on airbags and ABS which is very good to see from Mahindra.!!
jasonblr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 07:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the features that have been reduced in the W4, Mahindra is surely going for a mouth-watering price, something like the Ecosport. The XUV priced lesser than the Duster, Storme and Ecosport will be a death-knell for these vehicles. I think Mahindra have also overgrown the Scorpio and might even let go of the vehicle
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 10:38   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Mahindra will launch a new base variant W4′ for the XUV500 by the end of this month.

Attaching the comparison spec sheet from IAB site;
Attachment 1147746
Thanks for the spec sheet.
After reading through I can see that the cuts are massive!. No Power windows? This sure has to be a very cheap variant :P.
Although, Going by the single mention of the Multi-Link Rear suspension and dimensions of the vehicle makes me believe that the size of the vehicle will be the same as higher models and the same rear suspension will be offered on W4. Very good.
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 11:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

IMO the W4 is much better equipped than the Innova VX (at least), & if it is priced around Rs. 10 Lacs, it will surely make life much more difficult for Ecosport, Duster, Innova & Storme.

Basically more electronics are to be blamed for the issues with the XUV500 (I understand that clutch is another problem area of the m-Hawks) & with few of electronic features going out, it should make sense to most buyers in this segment.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 11:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

If the W4 variant does come out, I wonder if colour options will be restricted as they did with the W6. Also where does this leave the Scorpio Sle/Vlx variants ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 12:01   #45
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Also where does this leave the Scorpio Sle/Vlx variants ?
They seem to be working on this.
2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved-sc-price.jpg
http://mahindrascorpio.com/scorpio-pricelist.aspx
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote