Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st October 2013, 12:37   #61
BHPian

Default Re: 2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved

Auto car has reviewed the upgraded XUV, but sadly the quality of this review is not just upto the mark. Instead of telling us all about the XUV(which we already know), they should have concentrated solely on the changes:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-362326.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
I had a question regarding the XUV ownership:

I have read about XUV having issues which bring the car to a halt (like gear assembly etc) although the Mahindra service is upto the mark and they change the part in warranty. My worry would be that till the time I am covered in warranty I am fine but once the warranty expires all the expenses will be borne by me and the point that these parts are failing there are chances they will fail after the warranty as well.

What does everyone think about this aspect.
Pay those 2-3L bucks upfront and buy a toyota, or save them for later and buy a tata/mahindra
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 13:51   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Pay those 2-3L bucks upfront and buy a toyota, or save them for later and buy a tata/mahindra
2-3L ? Which Toyota are you talking about? The fortuner 4x4 is 12L above the on road price of the XUV W8
TorquePeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 14:04   #63
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... My worry would be that till the time I am covered in warranty I am fine but once the warranty expires all the expenses will be borne by me and the point that these parts are failing there are chances they will fail after the warranty as well.

What does everyone think about this aspect.
If reliability and low-postWarranty expenses are a priority, may be you should look at offerings from Toyota.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 15:13   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Assuming you are referring to service & upkeep costs, I can guarantee you that unless you have landed yourself a lemon there is simply no chance you will incur 3 lacs extra in service costs of a Mahindra over the Fortuner in a 5 year / 1,25,000 kms.
Whilst our Innova is a little older than 5 year and 1,20,000 on the odo, we have also owned three Scorpios in the past and the service costs were almost definitely on the reasonable side.
manson is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 15:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
2-3L ? Which Toyota are you talking about? The fortuner 4x4 is 12L above the on road price of the XUV W8
Torquepeedo, that was a generic statement made in jest, keeping the Innova in mind. People do cross shop between the XUV and Innova too

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Assuming you are referring to service & upkeep costs, I can guarantee you that unless you have landed yourself a lemon there is simply no chance you will incur 3 lacs extra in service costs of a Mahindra over the Fortuner in a 5 year / 1,25,000 kms.
Whilst our Innova is a little older than 5 year and 1,20,000 on the odo, we have also owned three Scorpios in the past and the service costs were almost definitely on the reasonable side.
I'm sorry if that came across as offensive, I just mentioned that in jest. Of course the upkeep costs even post warrantee won't be that bad, specially for Mahindra.

The reason this statement is always on the back of my head, is the thread from Tanveer where he calculated the cost of parts replaced for his Safari nortward of 2 Lakhs! That's a staggering amount, and one shudders to think of what would happen once the warrantee is over.

However this being a thread about the XUV, I understand the same yardstick does not apply everywhere.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 16:18   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Torquepeedo, that was a generic statement made in jest, keeping the Innova in mind. People do cross shop between the XUV and Innova too
Oh. I thought you were suggesting I put 2-3L extra and buy a toyota fortuner :P

Quote:
However this being a thread about the XUV, I understand the same yardstick does not apply everywhere.
So can I assume that the reliability of an XUV is better than the Safari/Storme?

Last edited by manson : 31st October 2013 at 17:19.
Old 31st October 2013, 19:43   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So can I assume that the reliability of an XUV is better than the Safari/Storme?
Mahindra's vehicles are mechanically robust and will rarely suffer from a major breakdown whereas their electrical components (mostly add ons) are the weak link. Between the Tata Safari / Storme and the XUV 5OO, I'd highly suggest sticking to the XUV 5OO in W6 trim if you are looking for supreme reliability.

Last edited by manson : 31st October 2013 at 19:45.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 19:59   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra's vehicles are mechanically robust and will rarely suffer from a major breakdown whereas their electrical components (mostly add ons) are the weak link. Between the Tata Safari / Storme and the XUV 5OO, I'd highly suggest sticking to the XUV 5OO in W6 trim if you are looking for supreme reliability.
Or better wait for W4 with even less electronics.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 21:01   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend is planning to book XUV500 W6, he would like to know since when this improved/refreshed version is available. This is just to make sure that he is getting the current one and not the unsold older version. The dealer is willing to give 30K discount on the Ex Showroom price.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 21:04   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm..Most interesting!
Are you saying specifically the additional electrical components in the W8 are more unreliable manson :o ?
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 23:41   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Hmmm..Most interesting!
Are you saying specifically the additional electrical components in the W8 are more unreliable manson :o ?
Yes. IMHO electricals are Mahindra's weak(est) link with respect to reliability and longevity. Hence, Added electrics = Added failures.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 14:25   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
My friend is planning to book XUV500 W6, he would like to know since when this improved/refreshed version is available. This is just to make sure that he is getting the current one and not the unsold older version. The dealer is willing to give 30K discount on the Ex Showroom price.
I don't think anybody can give you a specific date.
The 2013 model has all the improved features/parts.

Go for the latest manufactured vehicle, maybe two / three months prior to the date of purchase. Decode the VIN to get the actual Date of Manufacture.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 23:51   #73
BHPian

I drove a friends XUV today which is a 2012 model and felt there was a jerk most of the times when I engaged 1st or 2nd gear.

Can someone confirm if this was normally present in the older models and if this has been rectified in the 2013 model or not?
Old 6th November 2013, 13:52   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 W4 launched at Rs 10.83 lakh.(ex- showroom Mumbai)

More details in the XUV 5OO official thread.

Source:ACI

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th November 2013 at 13:53.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 14:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Found this article for launch of XUV5OO W4 variant at 10.83lakhs.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/25312867.cms

Source:ET
fusionbang is offline   Reply With Quote