Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th November 2017, 19:55   #346
BHPian

Default Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

While i cancelled my 530D booking I keenly follow this thread. Got to know that India is one of the low margin countries for BMW and therefore the allocation from the plant to India is limited and first preference goes to the high margin geographies! No wonder we have to scout high and dry to get our hands on this beauty.
Nonetheless its good to see that the community members here are slowly and steadily getting their cars delivered.
raj981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 10:43   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
While i cancelled my 530D booking I keenly follow this thread. Got to know that India is one of the low margin countries for BMW and therefore the allocation from the plant to India is limited and first preference goes to the high margin geographies! No wonder we have to scout high and dry to get our hands on this beauty.
Nonetheless its good to see that the community members here are slowly and steadily getting their cars delivered.
I have heard the demand for the new 5-series in US and Europe is quite high. So not surprised that there is a shortage of kits for the popular models.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/04/24/20...d-dealers-say/
84.monsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 22:34   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
This is criminal. Sorry.
Germany is only place in the world where you can drive most fearlessly (of getting a ticket) so please make the most.

Not sure if you are still in Germany but One Suggestion: Not sure whats your itinerary, but if you going to be in Munich, dont miss a chance to drive a BMW M4 rental from BMW Welt (yes BMW themselves). Start at 6.00 pm and return by 9.00 am next day. You end up paying for only 3 hours. M4 Convertible is flat 180 Euros that too including insurance. More options below
dipen, im back from Germany & thanks for your thoughts & suggestions.

Yes, i am aware about the Welt & did visit too, also have visited a few times before. This thread was made a few years ago;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ich-plant.html (Pics & Report: BMW Welt, Museum & Munich Plant)

This time wanted to drive the i8 but that was sold out, have driven the M4 few times before.

Also was running on a tight schedule as it was a business visit & had to leave for Friedrichshafen the next day.

Last edited by karan561 : 5th November 2017 at 22:43.
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 12:50   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Please check cool/ Warm settings around the vents, maybe those are turned towards red. In case it's new 5 then it should be digital.

From where exactly is water dripping? I think under the bonnet it should be normal after you switch it off.
Thanks for that tip. It was the COOL/WARM setting creating the problem.

By default it was set in between cool and warm hence the car was not cooling effectively. For cars being delivered in Mumbai the dealer should have set it 100% towards COOL in the PDI, which they missed.

Unlike the physical button in older models, here the setting is buried deep inside the menus. You have to access : My Vehicle / Vehicle Settings / Climate Functions / Temperature Adjustment

Putting it out here in case others facing the same problem. Mind you this is different from the basic temperature setting which can be done by just turning the temp knob on the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-img_5996.png  

manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 13:49   #350
Senior - BHPian

Bought myself this New G30- 520D, last month. Cashmere with Cognac. No discounts.
Would have gone for the 530D, but, The price difference is too too high around 10 lacs and, the Waiting is 3+ months, and I do not believe dealers on waiting commitments.
Why I shifted to a 4 is a big question mark. But do not regret it, I am ageing I guess and with our traffic the modern 4 cylinder has enough power and punch. If and when needed, I still use my S63amg, as also the E350 cabrio to play around, besides offcourse my other several cars, my daily to work driver driven has been the highly Underrated Yeti with a remap to 185bhp. She has clocked 60k and still going strong, waiting for some preowned new gen Yeti to come by as a replacement. Friends there is No other Car in the Price bracket of 20 to 25L to beat the Yeti IMO!!
Infact also opted for the Sportline inspite of my family insisting I buy the Luxuryline. Wanted to buy the 7[good discounts], but, made no sense with the crazy traffic in our Dear Mumbai.
Pretty happy with the car. My earlier F10- 525D was nearing 7 years so needed a replacement.
What I do wonder is, the dealers had some stocks of 5 series which were June production, and had vague answers when questioned why. And me being fussy and as family call me eccentric, chose the Cashmere cause it was the only September production car around[just arrived and fresh]. I personally hate new cars standing at warehouses for months.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 14:09   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I do wonder is, the dealers had some stocks of 5 series which were June production, and had vague answers when questioned why.
Demand-supply gap, Most production variants were planned using past Year sales which were more for 4 cylinders. They should have applied better mind and instead planned higher 6 cylinders, in the initial day's products should always be launched with the highest spec and only when demands start to trickle down, they should have launched the lower variants.

But who knows this may be correct, personally I could see only one car in Calgary last month and most were running on back orders.

Quote:
I have heard the demand for the new 5-series in the US and Europe is quite high
Quote:
Cashmere with Cognac. No discounts.
look at this message I got today, as mentioned previously, this was bound to happen and we can see even lower rates going forward to next year.

Buy all new BMW 520d Sports Line at INR 48.9 (Ex-showroom).
Offer valid on limited units.

Quote:
Wanted to buy the 7[good discounts]
Yes, there were some great offers, first at the time of increase of GST on 2016 models years and last month on current 2017 Signatures. But I must tell you from my own experience, there is no better car than 7 at this moment especially if one has to drive self.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th November 2017 at 14:13.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 15:20   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Buy all new BMW 520d Sports Line at INR 48.9 (Ex-showroom).
Offer valid on limited units.
I would expect this to be the case on the 520D, as most 2.0L buyers IMO would end up spending a considerable amount of time in the back seat - and the e220d has it beat in that regard!

Most enthusiasts would pick the 530i or the 530D, and only a few with budget constraints would pick the 520D.
Those who aren't enthusiasts / don't drive as much would go for the E220d without a second thought unless they were particular about only a BMW!

BMW should have ideally launched the 520D in base trim, 530i in base and a well equipped sportline trim, and a 530D in M-Sport trim!
It is those variants that are doing well in this market, as a 520D has a lot more competition than the 30i/30d.
- A6 with better ride quality and bigger discounts
- E220d with spectacular interiors and back seat
- S90 with tech and high quality interiors.
- Lexus ES with it's hybrid tech, soft ride, and quiet trouble free nature
- XF for those who enjoy driving
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 14:05   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I would expect this to be the case on the 520D, as most 2.0L buyers IMO would end up spending a considerable amount of time in the back seat - and the e220d has it beat in that regard!

Most enthusiasts would pick the 530i or the 530D, and only a few with budget constraints would pick the 520D.
Those who aren't enthusiasts / don't drive as much would go for the E220d without a second thought unless they were particular about only a BMW!

BMW should have ideally launched the 520D in base trim, 530i in base and a well equipped sportline trim, and a 530D in M-Sport trim!
It is those variants that are doing well in this market, as a 520D has a lot more competition than the 30i/30d.
- A6 with better ride quality and bigger discounts
- E220d with spectacular interiors and back seat
- S90 with tech and high quality interiors.
- Lexus ES with it's hybrid tech, soft ride, and quiet trouble free nature
- XF for those who enjoy driving
I appreciate your view points, though,
I have always been a Power freak. Have always used 6, 8 and 12 cylinder cars, But, with time I realise that small engines also make a lot of sense with all the tech and the power they put out, besides the crazy traffic.
Coming to back seat, I even with chauffeur drive, sit in the front passenger seat[even in my Rolls] cause they are made that way and far better than the back seat.
I checked out the 530i as well as the 530d and the new E, before zeroing on the 520d. The E is a lil too long and wider for our mumbai, it was better to opt for the S or the 7 then, price not being a criteria.
Have you test driven all these cars, please do? I found no real drive or feel difference in the 530i and the 520d to my surprise, one had a lil more bhp and the other a higher torque, and both are priced same. 530d is different league though, but at 10 lacs more and 3 months waiting opted out.
Propose to remap the 520d after the first service from 187 to 238, and this will make it wild enough for the bursts missing at present.
I am a firm believer of not revving beyond 2000 rpm for the first 1500 kms. to run in the engine, and BMW still advocates this. My first BMW was a new 733i in 1982, and, had run her in very carefully for 2000 kms. In 1985 a BMW technician was in India, and I took the car to him for a check[I had broken and replaced 3 sets of clutch and pressure plates yes 3 in 3 years]. He was surprised on driving the car and said it feels like a 740i and asked what I had done with her! and didnt believe that besides the High octane fuel and sometime octane boosters the real win win was the nice running in the car received along with the special oils used.
For anyone considering a new 5, please do consider before deciding on the over priced 530d, unless offcourse its going to be your only car.
scooby05 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 17:03   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I have always been a Power freak. Have always used 6, 8 and 12 cylinder cars, But, with time I realise that small engines also make a lot of sense with all the tech and the power they put out, besides the crazy traffic.

I checked out the 530i as well as the 530d and the new E, before zeroing on the 520d. The E is a lil too long and wider for our mumbai, it was better to opt for the S or the 7 then, price not being a criteria.

Have you test driven all these cars, please do? I found no real drive or feel difference in the 530i and the 520d to my surprise, one had a lil more bhp and the other a higher torque, and both are priced same. 530d is different league though, but at 10 lacs more and 3 months waiting opted out.

Propose to remap the 520d after the first service from 187 to 238, and this will make it wild enough for the bursts missing at present.For anyone considering a new 5, please do consider before deciding on the over priced 530d, unless offcourse its going to be your only car.
Hi Scooby,

Good to see your reply here!

I hope you don't mind me saying it, but I believe you're the exception rather than the rule - at least from what I've seen in Mumbai amongst my family and friends - most of whom have one German in their garage (and a fair amount of them are the F10 520D!).

First up, I completely agree with you on the fact that front seats are a lot more comfortable (I always sit in the front when being chauffeur driven as well), as well as the fact that bigger engines aren't really needed in the city - our A6 which is 95% city driven is a 2.0TDi and not the 3.0TDi.

But as I said earlier, my comments were based on what I've seen, heard, and read. Most of the buyers of these cars prefer being driven around while they do their work in the back seat.
Occasionally at night they will drive the car, or their kids will drive the car.
By and large, most of the buyers discount JLR & Volvo from the start and primarily focus only on the big 3 - BMW, Mercedes, and Audi.
Given the new E offers the best back seat experience, most of my friends & family who've picked up a new car have bought the new E Class over it's competitors.
In fact, not even one person I know has bought the new 5 in the circle - and it's evident in the sales figures with the new E selling over double of what the 5 series has.

Secondly, the 530i in terms of performance is significantly quicker than the 520D, and is also very tuner friendly (a few basic modifications will see in excess of 300BHP) - which is important to those who seek power. Given the fantastic pricing of the 530i, there is active interest in the car but a lot of people are shying away due to lack of features (which is important to the self driving buyer).

Lastly, the posts in this thread itself shows the interest in the 530i & the 530d as compared to the 520D.

My reason for making that post was not for any other reason but just to highlight the discussions I've had and what I've noticed in my family and friends circle.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 17:33   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming to back seat, I even with chauffeur drive, sit in the front passenger seat[even in my Rolls] cause they are made that way and far better than the back seat.
You need to visit BMW dealership and check 2017 signature variants of 7 series. You will surely enjoy the rear more than front on this or any other car. This comes from my personal experience.

Quote:
For anyone considering a new 5, please do consider before deciding on the over priced 530d, unless offcourse its going to be your only car.
520-D is slow and does feel lethargic, I remember having a feeling of much better acceleration on my 320-D in 2008 but since than I have driven only 6 cylinders and beyond and my expectations/observations may be wrong. Have not yet driven 530-i, so cannot comment. Anyone who has to plonk 60 Lac, reminds me of saying, beg, borrow or steal but buy 530-D

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th November 2017 at 18:01.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 14:07   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Propose to remap the 520d after the first service from 187 to 238, and this will make it wild enough for the bursts missing at present.
I am a firm believer of not revving beyond 2000 rpm for the first 1500 kms. to run in the engine, and BMW still advocates this. My first BMW was a new 733i in 1982, and, had run her in very carefully for 2000 kms. In 1985 a BMW technician was in India, and I took the car to him for a check[I had broken and replaced 3 sets of clutch and pressure plates yes 3 in 3 years]. He was surprised on driving the car and said it feels like a 740i and asked what I had done with her! and didnt believe that besides the High octane fuel and sometime octane boosters the real win win was the nice running in the car received along with the special oils used.
As an owner of 530i who also test drove the 520D, I agree there is no difference in city driving behavior. Both cars feel powerful enough. There is a little bit of hesitation in the 530i from standstill or very low speeds in Economy and Comfort modes. The sport mode overcomes this completely. The 520D also has this, but to a lesser extent probably due to the extra 50NM of torque. The 530i is a lot quieter and feels like you are in a soundproof chamber.

However, put them on highway speeds and the 530i shines. The extra 70 odd horsepower makes overtaking effortless and the free revving nature of the engine makes for a whole lot of fun. Where you have to focus a little more on the 520D to ensure you have the distances right for overtaking, the 530i can weave a circle around other cars and trucks effortlessly. There is hardly any noise or vibration even at high speeds, and very little drama. So if you plan to use your car for a lot of highway trips, I would whole heartedly recommend the 530i. Highway fuel efficiency is also not bad, I get 12 kmpl with an average 110-120 Kph cruise speed. It drops to 11 kpl at an 140 kph speed. The car still feels very relaxed at that higher speed, the tacho at a steady 2000 rpm with lots of room to handle emergency situations that require a further burst of speed.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 10th November 2017 at 14:08.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 17:07   #357
BHPian

Just a quick question for other new 5 series owners - Does anyone know how to set the driving mode by default on ADAPTIVE. Every time I turn off the engine and restart the car it goes back to COMFORT. I would prefer to keep it on ADAPTIVE and not have to change it manually every time.

Also can that Auto Start Stop be turned off permanently! Its really annoying to press that switch every time. There should have been an option for this in Vehicle settings.
manishk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 17:41   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Just a quick question for other new 5 series owners - Does anyone know how to set the driving mode by default on ADAPTIVE. Every time I turn off the engine and restart the car it goes back to COMFORT. I would prefer to keep it on ADAPTIVE and not have to change it manually every time.

Also can that Auto Start Stop be turned off permanently! Its really annoying to press that switch every time. There should have been an option for this in Vehicle settings.
Unfortunately u cant do both. Both go back to their default settings when u turn off the engine.
avi_66 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote