Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2017, 22:53   #91
BHPian
 
MercedesGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PNQ
Posts: 25
Thanked: 87 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
we have one on an older Gen 7 Series signature ( B&O)
Turbanator,

How's the sound compared to B&W? I still haven't found a better car audio solution compared to the Mercedes Burmeister 3D, I find the sound a lot better than Lexus too. (Mark Levison)

Another advantage with B&W etc. is they make the door panels look a lot better esp with the extra large metal grills and the speaker on the dash etc.

As much as I love the 7, all I miss on it is the sound system and if Executive Drive Pro was made standard on the signature variants.

The disaster that Mercedes-India has created with the new E has left us with such a void of a second car, I so hope BMW India fills it well with the new 5!

C ya,
MercedesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 12:12   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
dZired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,719
Thanked: 7,400 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

BMW hosting a preview of the G30 5-Series in Delhi

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

BMW India will be organising a 3-day preview event for the new-generation 5-Series (G30) in Delhi. The event will be starting on 3rd February. The G30 5-Series is expected to be launched in India later this year.

BMW has cleverly timed the 5-Series preview ahead of the official India launch of the new Mercedes E-Class. Mercedes is expected to bring the long-wheelbase model of the E-Class to India for the first time with the new-generation's launch. This is being considered as a major threat to BMW and its upcoming 5-Series. As a result, the automaker will likely be trying to give prospective customers and industry influencers an insight into what will be on offer with the new 5-Series in India, with an aim to stop a few buyers investing in the E-Class right away.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 1st February 2017 at 12:14.
dZired is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 13:06   #93
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,134
Thanked: 1,891 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
BMW has cleverly timed the 5-Series preview ahead of the official India launch of the new Mercedes E-Class. Mercedes is expected to bring the long-wheelbase model of the E-Class to India for the first time with the new-generation's launch. This is being considered as a major threat to BMW and its upcoming 5-Series. As a result, the automaker will likely be trying to give prospective customers and industry influencers an insight into what will be on offer with the new 5-Series in India, with an aim to stop a few buyers investing in the E-Class right away.
They can preview all they want, BMW needs to get the 5 series LWB to India like MBIL is. Infact, I am surprised they haven't decided to do so already given how badly they are hit in the market. This move by MB will thrash them even further. Unless ofcourse they manage to price their product significantly better than the LWB E-class.
Nonetheless, they will have to get the LWB to India to remain competitive. They rather do it sooner than later.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 13:27   #94
BHPian
 
MercedesGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PNQ
Posts: 25
Thanked: 87 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
They can preview all they want, BMW needs to get the 5 series LWB to India like MBIL is. Infact, I am surprised they haven't decided to do so already given how badly they are hit in the market. This move by MB will thrash them even further.
Sahil,

The best thing about the BMW 5 is it's only coming in the regular form, yes maybe E will win in sales but atleast this gives us a far better product until volumes here are enough to sell both LWB and SWB.

MB India may bank on LWB E, but let's just see if that Beijing-Benz product allows them to recover costs at current volumes that India has.

I miss a Mercedes more than anything but never would I bother with the Indian Cars, when we moved back the S-Class here didn't even have Memory seats up front and BMW was able to give me a Massage seat and everything else, I am certain you are not wrong in sales but the best part about the 5 is we get the real car.

Good day,
MercedesGirl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 13:44   #95
BHPian
 
deerhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: PGT/PDY
Posts: 264
Thanked: 578 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesGirl View Post
but atleast this gives us a far better product
How is that? Is E an inferior car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesGirl View Post
MB India may bank on LWB E, but let's just see if that Beijing-Benz product allows them to recover costs at current volumes that India has.
I dont think this is the same car as sold in China. China being a LHD market, MB has developed this specifically for India.

This commitment towards our market is surprising, because even the volume sellers like Fiat and Chevy do not do that anymore.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 13:46   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,003
Thanked: 2,452 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
How's the sound compared to B&W?
I have not got a chance to listen to B&W in new 7 yet, but B&O definitely sound more vocal. If you have some audiophile stuff at home then you will certainly feel the difference on regular vs upgraded ones, else it will be ok.

Quote:
they make the door panels look a lot better esp with the extra large metal grills
Agree !

Quote:
BMW needs to get the 5 series LWB to India like MBIL
I don't think they will have any plans, they might strip existing 7 and try to come out with a lower variant. It will be too risky to invest just for one market. MB India is having numbers, their local management is controlling the market so they can experiment.

Quote:
they will have to get the LWB to India to remain competitive.
I don't think. MB India has created a new segment and lets's see how it develops. Not everyone can spend 65 Lac Ex-Showroom which should be a starting point for new E in my opinion.
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:49   #97
BHPian
 
rishi_kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 407
Thanked: 280 Times
Smile re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
BMW hosting a preview of the G30 5-Series in Delhi

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

BMW India will be organising a 3-day preview event for the new-generation 5-Series (G30) in Delhi. The event will be starting on 3rd February. The G30 5-Series is expected to be launched in India later this year.

BMW has cleverly timed the 5-Series preview ahead of the official India launch of the new Mercedes E-Class. Mercedes is expected to bring the long-wheelbase model of the E-Class to India for the first time with the new-generation's launch. This is being considered as a major threat to BMW and its upcoming 5-Series. As a result, the automaker will likely be trying to give prospective customers and industry influencers an insight into what will be on offer with the new 5-Series in India, with an aim to stop a few buyers investing in the E-Class right away.

Link to Team-BHP News
I previewed the car yesterday at India Art Fair, BMW India was extremely sensitive to camera phones etc and no pictures were allowed. Here are my observations:

- Its looks identical to new 7 series except the size.
- luxury loaded to brim. Upgraded leather and seats with under thigh support.
- Smart key fob like 7-series, which lets you park car remotely similar to 7.
- Will come kitted as M edition with M alloys etc
- Interior is a major upgrade and it does not have business stated look instead oozes luxury.

I personally loved the new 5-series. I think they have a game changer here (yes I know about new Merc E).

Now, I am waiting for a test drive before unveiling at a secret location, I will keep you posted if I succeed
rishi_kapoor is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 10:07   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
cityvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CCU | PHL
Posts: 1,693
Thanked: 2,554 Times
Default

Checked out the new BMW 5 Series here in Philly today at the Philadelphia Auto Show. What a fabulous car. Loved the design, interiors, comfort and tech. Brilliant quality stuff and should be a hoot to drive as well.

Eagerly looking forward to the India launch in a few months.

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486182777.500063.jpg
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486182792.564588.jpg
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486182805.431133.jpg
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486182817.770341.jpg
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486182832.284582.jpg
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486182851.069147.jpg
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486182865.776146.jpg
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486182883.911186.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1486182865.776146.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	759.1 KB
ID:	1604016The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486182927.016447.jpg
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486182941.666011.jpg
cityvic is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 03:23   #99
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 89
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Harman owns B&W
Just FYI before giving wrong info:

(Source) Bowers & Wilkins ownership info

Excerpt:
Quote:
Bowers & Wilkins has been cranking out solid audio gear for the better part of three decades, but it's being acquired by a company that's only been around since 2014. Eva Automation, a Silicon Valley startup founded by former Facebook CFO (and San Francisco 49ers co-owner) Gideon Yu, is the new owner of the audio brand. Little is known about the company other than its 40-person staff has the somewhat vague mission of "making products that will change how people interact and think about the home."
Harman Kardon systems are simply not as good, hence offered in the base/standard spec

Last edited by GTO : 7th February 2017 at 11:05. Reason: You can get your point across without being rude
Activ8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 07:07   #100
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 168
Thanked: 162 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

To clear out the confusion b&o is actually owned by Harman and not b&w. Harman also owns the kardon brand among ither brands like jbl etc.
kartavya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 11:49   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,003
Thanked: 2,452 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Thanks for correcting and there are better ways of pointing fellow members mistakes/errors.

Quote:
b&o is actually owned by Harman and not b&w
Yes, correct.

BTW there are no plans to get B&W system for Indian market yet in 5 series.

Quote:
BMW needs to get the 5 series LWB to India like MBIL is
I can't divulge details but BMW has something nice coming up in near future to compete/surpass Extended LWB E-Class

Last edited by GTO : 7th February 2017 at 11:06. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited for being too rude
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 14:54   #102
VSD
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 166
Thanked: 336 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
- Its looks identical to new 7 series except the size.
- luxury loaded to brim. Upgraded leather and seats with under thigh support.
- Smart key fob like 7-series, which lets you park car remotely similar to 7.
- Will come kitted as M edition with M alloys etc
- Interior is a major upgrade and it does not have business stated look instead oozes luxury.

I personally loved the new 5-series. I think they have a game changer here (yes I know about new Merc E).

Now, I am waiting for a test drive before unveiling at a secret location, I will keep you posted if I succeed
I was there on the 3rd feb to check out the same car. I also feel this has the ability to beat the E-class. The quality of materials used on the dash and seats was superb and the interior felt more luxury than utility. 530d will be geting the nappa leather interior with leather dash while the 520d will be getting dakota leather as standard. Harmon/kardon sound system in all variants with 10.5inch screen in 530d and smaller one for lower variants.
4 colours exterior shades (carbon black | grey | blue | alpine white) for M-sport variant with choice of 4 different colors of nappa upholstery (beige | white | black | brown). The smart key will be optional for all variants.
I'm eagerly waiting for this one to hit the roads asap and will probably buy it over the Merc or the new Audi.

Last edited by VSD : 6th February 2017 at 14:59.
VSD is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 15:35   #103
BHPian
 
Dieselite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 156
Thanked: 115 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

I checked with the BMW dealership owner in Pune...he is a dear friend. He was very confident of the upcoming 5 series and went on to say that the pricing will be very aggressive for the entry level variants.

Looking forward to the next few months !!
Dieselite is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 11:04   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,509
Thanked: 80,156 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!
Thanks to the same Team-BHP fan for sharing the below!

Quote:
I visited the preview of the new 5-Series. It was a part of the Indian Art Fair in Delhi where we got to have a first impression of the new 5. We were not allowed to click any pictures of the vehicle.

The car showcased was the 530d in M-Sport trim with all the features available in the current 530d, plus the addition of nappa leather (which the sales person indicated to be available in the Indian vehicle), gesture controls, wireless charging, improvement in quality of switchgear and the preview vehicle had a black headliner.

The rear legroom was still less for this category, although it was an improvement over the F10. The boot had a space saver which was placed below the carpet area, but the battery kept to power the stationary vehicle was coming in the way of closing the carpet area above the spare wheel.

The vehicle is expected to be directly launched in CKD variant around June-July within close range (1-2 lacs) of the F10.

Also, PFA the images of the entry passes and a small gift from BMW.
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-0.jpg

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-1.jpg

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-2.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 20:36   #105
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 29
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Saw the new E class. It's really pretty. Eagerly waiting to see the new 5. Does anyone have any clue of the possible launch date?
JoyPangli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scoop! BMW imports all-new G30 530d into India. EDIT: 520d as well dZired The Indian Car Scene 5 12th May 2017 00:49
Next Gen BMW 7 Series Launched @ Auto Expo 2016 Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 57 29th January 2017 21:26
BMW 3-Series GT India launch. EDIT: Launched at 43.30 lakh Omkar The Indian Car Scene 35 15th January 2017 11:08
BMW imports 1-Series facelift for testing. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 29.5 lakh Aditya The Indian Car Scene 28 29th September 2015 12:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks