Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 22nd August 2013, 16:07   #61
BHPian

Default Re: 15 bizmen set to return their Audis after ‘bad service’

What I find ridiculous is this statement "Steering Locked Up".
No, Sorry steering DID NOT lock up. It simply lost power assistance, since engine conked out ( Yes, even in EPS units, the power assistance turns off when engine goes off, presumably due to the power drain on the electrical system). What happened was Steering got A LOT harder, so would be the brakes after 2 brake depressions. And interestingly, these effects are explained in the manual. But someone needs to read them.
They mentioned V Belt failure, I think this is not a timing related chain, more like ac compressor,alternator,vacuum pump .
But changing a full car is un-reasonable, unless there were great many other issues with it (Which article states it doesn't).
We have not heard the whole story here, but I feel that owner's demand is not in line with the issue here. A narrow escape from on the Highway is scary, but if the owner (or driver) realized what has happened to his car, it would have been a lot more easier to deal with it.
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:18   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I don't know about others defending Audi here but I can imagine anyone with this experience would have been vocal about this.
Some the comments on this thread are difficult to understand.

These folks are not returning the car because they are politicians or anything else, they have clearly lost confidence in the product. We have to take customer safety and rights much more seriously here.
@ Raul I for one have no biased view pertaining to Audi. Its just that its a renowned brand and these type serious issues hamper the value and goodwill of the brand. Majorily i doubt the accumen of the service centre staff and think life is the prime concern for everyone and god bless the truck driver who took the right decision in a fraction of second. Forget the designation of those owners every human is precious and any such thing is bound to alter the thoughts of the owners.

AD
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
The danger with some of the semi rural customers who buy these high end cars is that they also treat them the way they would treat their Indicas & Safaris.

(hold your horses!!!) BAGS OF MANURE in the rear seat.
I agree with you totally. We do not know to what extent the vehicle could be abused or misused. But for all those cases, we would probably be expecting premature change of suspension, body rattles, electrical failure, and like you said, upholstery damage. But, for premature timing belt snapping, it has to be something much more deeper, probably a defective sample/example or design (going by the DSG failures, that isn't ruled out either)

In our part of the world, when a person parts with more than 30 big ones, and it gives up so soon, its natural for him to be apprehensive about what else might be hiding beneath. That probably is the cause for the demand for a total vehicle replacement.

On a different note, the timing "belt", in what claims to be amongst the worlds best club, is akin to the "Bags of Manure" that an owner might put in its rear seat.

Its high time Lexus set up shop in India.

Last edited by 1100D : 22nd August 2013 at 16:36.
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
What happened was Steering got A LOT harder, so would be the brakes after 2 brake depressions. And interestingly, these effects are explained in the manual. But someone needs to read them.
They mentioned V Belt failure, I think this is not a timing related chain, more like ac compressor,alternator,vacuum pump .
But changing a full car is un-reasonable, unless there were great many other issues with it (Which article states it doesn't).
We have not heard the whole story here, but I feel that owner's demand is not in line with the issue here. A narrow escape from on the Highway is scary, but if the owner (or driver) realized what has happened to his car, it would have been a lot more easier to deal with it.
Dear Mate, As you agree to the state the owner of this car would have been due to this incident so you also shall agree to an extent that Audi has a good brand image in our country (barring this issue) so on that basis and on the faith the owner had on the brand he bought the vehicle without going into the technical know-how of it. We can do away with the knowledge of the owner because in india trust and faith is a big thing. A major reason for a new replacement could be the inherent fear in his mind of the car now which I dont think can be pacified by Audi in any manner.

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Dear Mate, As you agree to the state the owner of this car would have been due to this incident so you also shall agree to an extent that Audi has a good brand image in our country (barring this issue) so on that basis and on the faith the owner had on the brand he bought the vehicle without going into the technical know-how of it. We can do away with the knowledge of the owner because in india trust and faith is a big thing. A major reason for a new replacement could be the inherent fear in his mind of the car now which I dont think can be pacified by Audi in any manner.

AD
While I agree that an owner should not be hassled with what features are there in his car, he still needs to know the basics of the car. He should have some idea how brake pedals feel during an ABS activation, or what is meant by brake booster.
He need not know ins and out of MMI or I-Drive or whatever customization menu the manufacturer puts out. But the basic aspects of the car, Mandatory! (This applies to everyone, not just luxury car owners).
Yes, an experience like than can leave sour taste and you may lose faith in the brand. And yes, a V-Belt failure is a manufacturing defect, irrespective how good or bad the car was treated (unless a hungry rat was involved). But blaming a car for aspects that owner do not fully understand is no way fault of the manufacturer, don't you agree?

I do not think there is any vehicle out there whose power steering and Brake Boosters function after an engine failure. So his highway experience, once the engine stalled will be same from M800 (with P/S and Booster brakes) to S-Class. So that is annoyance with the article.
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
While I agree that an owner should not be hassled with what features are there in his car, he still needs to know the basics of the car. He should have some idea how brake pedals feel during an ABS activation, or what is meant by brake booster. But blaming a car for aspects that owner do not fully understand is no way fault of the manufacturer, don't you agree?

I do not think there is any vehicle out there whose power steering and Brake Boosters function after an engine failure. So his highway experience, once the engine stalled will be same from M800 (with P/S and Booster brakes) to S-Class. So that is annoyance with the article.
I certainly agree to you over the basic knowledge aspect of the owner. Also agree to the same fate shall be metted out to any other vehicle with similar failure but the mindset and the thought process evolved with the incident is enough for him i guess to raise his demand. For him the concern is not the knowledge of the car features rather it is the fact that due to a technical fault he escaped a near-death experience and for him the first point of contact is the dealership. Though his demands may seem unreal but its India and to convince people is tough here.

Just an OT Example: If a person buys a LED worth 30k and it mis-functions and breaks-down. The service procedure is followed and the item has a manufacturing defect then owner will demand a full new replacement in the first place and not just the repairing of faulty part majorily because of the typical mindset and the brand however good it may be will have to comply because 1 un-satisfied customer can damge the brand's image to any extent.

AD
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:50   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Just an OT Example: If a person buys a LED worth 30k and it mis-functions and breaks-down. The service procedure is followed and the item has a manufacturing defect then owner will demand a full new replacement in the first place and not just the repairing of faulty part majorily because of the typical mindset and the brand however good it may be will have to comply because 1 un-satisfied customer can damge the brand's image to any extent.
AD
Actually most of the Television manufacturers will only fix the faulty part under warranty . But due to miniaturization and integrated nature of the electronics on the TV, most of the electronic faults will entail replacement of the entire mother board.

But I get what you are saying, but I think brands should not bow down to such pressures, unless the owner got a Lemon, which, from what I have read, is not.
allajunaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:14   #68
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: 15 bizmen set to return their Audis after ‘bad service’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
President of Ambernath Municipal Council right? Part of me thinks he is trying to make a statement by taking on Audi and showing that he's got numbers. Standard political bull**** from a lowbrow politico who must've got his face splashed in the local newspapers!!!
You said it! I agree, otherwise why would anyone ask for a brand new car in exchange of a 2 year old car? Political stunt, I must say. Another example of unnecessary display of "political power".
trave11er is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:39   #69
BHPian

I second parrys, Nilesh5417 and trave11er on that. 2 cents from a newbie, are the Income Tax people keeping an eye on how this municipal chap got an A4? Incredible India!
VernaCular is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:46   #70
BHPian

I think folks are conflating issues, politics or the ideology of owner is not the issue here. We may not like politicians, and municipal counselors buying expensive cars rightfully but that not the issue under discussion here.

How can a car serviced at the authorized service centre lockup in the middle of the highway leaving the owner at the mercy of speeding trucks and luck?

This is not merely a lemon, this is a serious life and death incident, suppose the truck had not managed to brake in time and rammed the Audi? Who is responsible then?

Technology is supposed to prevent accidents not cause it. Any car stopping abruptly in the middle of the highway is a life risk not only to the occupants but to other highway users.

The curious thing is Audi themselves are not raising any issue about the car service history, and believe me that's the first thing they would to evade responsibility if there was the slightest slip up here, so why are folks raising this red herring and in such a hurry to give Audi the benefit of doubt on this?

Have Audi taken responsibility, assured all these owners of proper investigation and resolution, and promised some sort of report to the wider Audi community in the country, surely as an Audi owner you would expect proper investigation of the incident and some sort of report that reassures this is a one off or an issue addressed?

At least I would before risking my life on the highway. You can't depend on good fortune and the skills of speeding vehicles behind you.

In the absence of this not only these folks but Audi owners have a right to demand accountability from Audi on their expensive, technologically advanced and supposedly safe products. Whether its an engine or new car doesn't matter, its for Audi to address these concerns, reassure their customers, and regain their confidence. Anything less is not good enough and I doubt any informed person on this board would expect less should this happen to them or their near and dear.

Last edited by raul : 22nd August 2013 at 18:48.
raul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:47   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
+1.

It just amazes me how a Municipal Council President can afford to buy the A4 and then abandon it.

May be the money is inherited or may be black, but still worth a thought when the salary for the President of India is rated at 1.5L monthly. Won't it be significantly lower for someone so down the scale?

Audi should follow a very formal and structured approach, send out a release after inspecting the car and replace the engine, max.
Parrys India shining mate did you see the pics of the other owners standing next their cars all white cars, our family driver dresses better man, shady?

Raul we have not heard audi's official version of what went wrong whether it was the way the car was used can also lead to problems.

Comments related to who the users are reflect the way they treat things = why the car may be having issues, it's an opinion formed based on experience and posted by members on this thread on the forum. Don't see any OT as everyone posts their take on why the car went bust

Last edited by canonball : 22nd August 2013 at 18:59.
canonball is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:01   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trave11er View Post
You said it! I agree, otherwise why would anyone ask for a brand new car in exchange of a 2 year old car? Political stunt, I must say. Another example of unnecessary display of "political power".
+1

It is nothing but a publicity stunt to show his so called political powers.

If Audi has agreed to replace the stuff that is broken then accept that and get it replaced. Why ask for a whole new car which is meaningless.

I am happy that the company has agreed to replace the engine of those 10 vehicles which ain't cheap for the company either so better the owners accept the replacement and move on rather show their unnecessary powers.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
+1

It is nothing but a publicity stunt to show his so called political powers.

If Audi has agreed to replace the stuff that is broken then accept that and get it replaced. Why ask for a whole new car which is meaningless.

I am happy that the company has agreed to replace the engine of those 10 vehicles which ain't cheap for the company either so better the owners accept the replacement and move on rather show their unnecessary powers.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Seems like our country is now being officially and formally owned by the politicians and their fixers/brokers. All the wrong things are getting institutionalised
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:37   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Seems like our country is now being officially and formally owned by the politicians and their fixers/brokers. All the wrong things are getting institutionalised
I swear! The media and politicians are equally responsible and to be blamed.

To add that the media encourages such stunt of power show-off!

Anurag
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
How can a car serviced at the authorized service centre lockup in the middle of the highway leaving the owner at the mercy of speeding trucks and luck?

This is not merely a lemon, this is a serious life and death incident, suppose the truck had not managed to brake in time and rammed the Audi? Who is responsible then?

Technology is supposed to prevent accidents not cause it. Any car stopping abruptly in the middle of the highway is a life risk not only to the occupants but to other highway users.

The curious thing is Audi themselves are not raising any issue about the car service history, and believe me that's the first thing they would to evade responsibility if there was the slightest slip up here, so why are folks raising this red herring and in such a hurry to give Audi the benefit of doubt on this?

Have Audi taken responsibility, assured all these owners of proper investigation and resolution, and promised some sort of report to the wider Audi community in the country, surely as an Audi owner you would expect proper investigation of the incident and some sort of report that reassures this is a one off or an issue addressed?

Anything less is not good enough and I doubt any informed person on this board would expect less should this happen to them or their near and dear.
Dear Mate, You have approached the issue in a balanced and sensible way no 2nd thoughts on it. Allow me to address Audi as a brand in context of Indian Consumer's Views and in context of this abrupt happening;

* How can a authourised service centre serviced car can hang up abruptly in mid-way: For sure this is the thing one can least expect from any authorised service centre and not just Audi. I sincerely doubt the knowledge of the service technicians over there who did not forsee this thing as it cannot happen just in moments. The engine seizure would have developed due to some already present malfunction in the engine which i believe was not communicated to the owner. The 2nd view to this issue is that maybe the owner may not have paid heed to that "source" defect which led to the seizure sighting expense and lack of technical knowledge.

* Had the accident Occured who would be blamed: As an educated, civilized person one cannot dent the brand for the 1 defective piece. It is the duty of the service centre to formally acknowledge the forthcoming danger. BUT the indian auto industry gives mechnical/technical after sales people a secondary position majorily because of the customer's views and they have to abide by it since they cant change the mindset among owners. And in this case it is the typical mindset that is working on for the respective owner.

Eg: Any renowned cellphone brand cant be taken to task just because 1 cellphone of it malfunctioned. But irony still remains in India you cant expect a logical reasoning to a great extent.

* Technology is used to prevent accidents and not Cause them: Totally agreed. But in indian context not all the car-owners pay attention to the technical knowledge for using a specific car-control or a informative dash-board display. They associate with a brand based on trust and faith. This incident shall enlighten the community of users for not taking anything for granted. Any educated person will not blame the brand but here in India it is opposite.

* Has Audi come up with a solution or assured to Investigate this matter: I cant formally comment on it as I am not associated to it still i think that to sustain itself in the indian auto-market it will surely take much-needed steps at the earliest to protect its image as the matter has been reported in media.

* Nothing less than a new replacement is acceptable: This is what highlights the true thought process of indian customers. Audi however great as a brand it may be it may have to scumb to the demands of the owner and strike it off the slate as the more it tries to pacify the more would increase its problems in terms of re-call value of the brand.

# There is a example i would have quoted here but i refrain from doing so as to maintain peace and dignity of my mates and the forum.

AD
Closed Thread