Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd August 2013, 13:51   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Saw stingray in flesh and blood today. Man it is a total disappointment. It looks no where close to the pictures. The grills look pathetic. Overall looked like a cross between WagonR and Eco.

The WagonR looks better and classier.
Did you visit a dealer? Have they started dispatching deliveries if at all any of them booked?
I am planning to go to a dealer this weekend and just do a formal inquiry.
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post

Did you visit a dealer? Have they started dispatching deliveries if at all any of them booked?
I am planning to go to a dealer this weekend and just do a formal inquiry.
Sorry I didn't go on to check details. I saw this car on display at Bannerghatta Rd, Kalyani Motors. They have decked it up and placed it in the parking space outside. It was a drive by look. It did not excite me for further queries. Guess it is photogenic or Photoshoped. Anyway it is my personal opinion.

You should look at it before putting your hard earned cash.

Last edited by HillMan : 23rd August 2013 at 14:14.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 16:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Saw stingray in flesh and blood today. Man it is a total disappointment. It looks no where close to the pictures. The grills look pathetic. Overall looked like a cross between WagonR and Eco.

The WagonR looks better and classier.
+1 to that. I also saw it today while driving past a dealership here. The face looks pathetic with that chrome grille and large air dam. It is not even close to what we were expecting from the initial pics.
dZired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 04:57   #49
BHPian

Man this looks like a box on the wheels in flesh, reminded me of the first version of Wagon R when it was launched. Maruti guys really know how to de-engineer (not re-engineer) Suzuki's global offerings.
TSIched'Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 01:52   #50
BHPian

I loved the look of the Stingray when I got a chance to see it in the flesh the other day. I especially love the treatment at the front. No doubt boxy but very nice look with the slim headlamps and an "in your face" air dam at the front.

The projector lamps look great and kudos to Maruti for offering this as standard on all the variants.

The back continues the minimalistic theme. Perhaps the chrome piece with "Stingray" written on it could have been excluded. The grey alloys also look the part.

The sales advisor told me that power has been increased over the standard Wagon R but not sure how much that is true.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 02:22   #51
BHPian

The front of Stingray looks much better than the standard WagonR IMO. Though the tail-lights look a little weird!
BTW kudos to Maruti for bringing projector lamps in this segment!

@shibujp No changes have been made under the hood in the Stingray AFAIK so the power should remain the same.
midazolam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 08:05   #52
BHPian

Saw the car yesterday in Shillong, the shape and proportions seemed weird overall. Even the front end, which looks good in pictures, looks out of place.
I would still prefer the older wagonR to this.
pyrodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 08:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The projector lamps look great and kudos to Maruti for offering this as standard on all the variants.

The sales advisor told me that power has been increased over the standard Wagon R but not sure how much that is true.
Any idea regarding the performance of the projector lamps? This is one car that I want to TD during the night to see how effective the headlamps are, but none of the Maruti dealerships are open beyond 6pm. Looks like we'll need to wait for ownership reviews.

Power is identical as per official website (http://marutisuzukistingray.com/my-stingray.aspx), so sales advisor is just bluffing.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 09:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

I think its time we stop calling it WagorR Stingray cause MSIL refers to it as Stingray only. Their website and the TVC all call it just Stingray. So looks like they believe and want us to believe that its a different product than WagonR.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 09:14   #55
BANNED

Maruti has done a great job with this car. Converting a Tin Can into a pseudo mean machine takes some doing. For 20ks extra, bring it on. I will buy it any day over current Wagon-R. By the way, as per Maruti dealers in Noida, the car is generating more bookimgs than currrent Wagon-R!!Take that!!!
Carophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 16:47   #56
BHPian

Good evening, everyone!

Just back from the nearest MS dealership which is exactly a kilometer from my place, where I'd gone for the sole purpose of checking out the Stingray.
They had the 'Passion Red' one on display; yes, it's the same colour that's doing the media rounds on brochures and the interweb.

Exterior observations:
The car looks great in person(?)
The exclusion of roof rails makes a whole lotta difference to the appearance and character, and that too in a good way, IMO.
One look at the headlamps and you're reminded of the Scion xB. The way they almost fuse with the shiny-chromey grille is a dead giveaway that the design is very Scion xB inspired.
Gun-metal finish 4, twin-spoke alloy wheels are a thumbs up and are available on both Vxi and Vxi(O) variants.
The front black part, behind the number plate, with the horizontal slats looks good too, but it felt too plasticky at first look. Needs to look and feel a lot more solid, since it contributes a majority to the whole 'new look' aspect of the Stingray!
Taillamps with white/clear indicators are not to my taste really, but don't look so bad either!

Interior observations:
This is the part that I totally fell in love with! And you've got to see it to believe it.
Maruti has stepped up it's Wagon-R game and gone to a whole new level as far as interior fit and finish goes. The interiors are all black and the stereo, power window and steering mounted buttons get a beautiful piano finish.
The chrome door knobs inside gel really well with the rest of the black interiors. The AC blower outlets also have a ting of chrome which does not look out of place.
Rest of it is more or less the same as the current Wagon-R.

** The Vxi(O) variant scores over the Vxi variant because it gets 1 Driver side Airbag, ABS, leather wrapped steering wheel and steering mounted audio controls.

This is just a rough observational account. I might have missed a few points, but this clears out most of the dilly-dally confusion about the Stingray on the forum(I hope )

Last edited by MARCUS_520i : 25th August 2013 at 17:12.
MARCUS_520i is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 17:04   #57
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for the first hand report - it's good to know that they have improved the interior look and feel. All black interiors can indeed look classy if a little bit of chrome is strategically thrown in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
** The Vxi(O) variant scores over the Vxi variant because it gets 2 Airbags, ABS ...
Are you sure it's 2 airbags? Most reports mention only driver's side airbag, just like the normal Vxi(O).
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 17:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Are you sure it's 2 airbags? Most reports mention only driver's side airbag, just like the normal Vxi(O).
Oops! My bad. You're absolutely right! Only 1, driver airbag. LHS of the dashboard are 2 storage/glove boxes, above and below!
MARCUS_520i is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 17:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I think its time we stop calling it WagorR Stingray cause MSIL refers to it as Stingray only. Their website and the TVC all call it just Stingray. So looks like they believe and want us to believe that its a different product than WagonR.
The rear chrome just below the windscreen has Stingray WagonR written on it. The font size of WagonR is small and is in the next line. I saw one at ABT showroom, Chennai yesterday.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 17:54   #60
BHPian

Looks like a fresh change done by MSIL on the exterior design of the WagonR. The front headlight design resembles close to Tata Safari Storme. They should have tweaked the taillights as well with a different shape. In the Interiors, wished front two airbags should have been included. However, it would have made the stingray even more pricer.
Satshan is offline   Reply With Quote