Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th December 2013, 21:04   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Stingray : Picture Preview

I don't know where Maruti wants to go with StingRay!

If StingRay was an all new model like i10 Grand than it should have been launched with diesel engine at the first place.

The current gen WagonR was launched in 2010 and is completing its product lifecycle in 2014. The prev gen WagonR lasted from 2006-2010.

So Maruti should have launched an all new StingRay WagonR in 2014 with diesel + CNG variants instead of launching it this year with same K10 petrol engine!

Last edited by bluevolt : 30th December 2013 at 21:05.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 22:42   #107
BHPian

The only Diesel Suzuki has is the Fiat MJD. I am sure this new R&D Diesel engine will be widely experimented and test on customer expenses. Paving way for an LCV engine to compete with the likes of Ace. Might use the Omni with a 2 pot Diesel.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 23:14   #108
BHPian

I really do not understand the way Maruti looks at the Indian diesel car market. I still wonder why was stingray launched parallely with the current generation Wagon-R. The car has not been able to achieve the desired numbers the way Hyundai Grand i10 has done. It is a mere facelift which should have replaced the existing Wagon-R.

Maruti should focus on powerful engines in cars and not just waste time on tweaking engine for the cars which are near the end of their respective life-cycles.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 10:21   #109
BHPian

I love this variant. Does it come with MUL's official CNG kit? If so, its the perfect city car for someone on a 5 lac budget. Great job!
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 10:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

@Screwdriva

It is a petrol only variant. No CNG options are available.

Stingray was quickly launched to counter the anticipated competition from Grand i10.

But, as a product, it had nothing to offer.

Additionally, my personal opinion is that the 2012 WR model is their best designed Wagon R till date.

Name:  Wagon R.jpg
Views: 4738
Size:  36.4 KB

To be honest with you, over the last three months that the Stingray has ben launched, it forms a nominal percentage in the approx. 14K WR sales per month.

It was a wrong move by MUL to further milk an already profitable cash cow!!
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 11:12   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Stingray was quickly launched to counter the anticipated competition from Grand i10.

But, as a product, it had nothing to offer.

Additionally, my personal opinion is that the 2012 WR model is their best designed Wagon R till date.

To be honest with you, over the last three months that the Stingray has ben launched, it forms a nominal percentage in the approx. 14K WR sales per month.

It was a wrong move by MUL to further milk an already profitable cash cow!!
To me, Stingray is just another variant of Wagon R with optional projector headlamps and nothing more. So the total sales of Wagon R is unlikely to change much since the potential customers for both are the same group. Probably, the sole purpose of that variant is to sustain the current numbers for Wagon R and not to lose any customers who might go after a Hyundai for some of those additional features. With projectors, alloys and safety kit available in the top end, it gives most of the 'must have' features for a top end version.

BTW, I like the 2008-2011 version of Wagon R the most, that is the least boxy of the lot.

Last edited by zenren : 31st December 2013 at 11:14.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 19:59   #112
BHPian

Any stingray owners here? I havent seen an ownership report yet. Probably no one's buying it. And thats the reason Maruti is giving some very tempting discounts. Without any negotiation the VXI is 5L on-road and dealer was more than willing to negotiate.
Given that it includes everything from central locking, alloys, music system, rear wash and wipe, defogger, projector headlamps, it suddenly seems like good value for money!
kvish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 21:18   #113
JLS
BHPian

Stingray is just another variant of Wagon R, which flopped badly.
It was pulled back from market.
Currently, dealers may be just clearing existing stock and hence good discounts. However, any offer must be squarely compared with current version of equivalent variant of wagon r.
Also, VIN must be checked for mfg month and year, dealer may be having pretty old stock.
Regards,
JLS
JLS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 11:53   #114
BHPian

Strangely, I like Stingray more than regular wagonR. The global WagonR has been facelifted (read - More rounded fascia for the Indian market and now beige interios too :( ).
The Stingray has more kit (Projector headlamps, side skirts, clear lens tail lamps and also black interiors) . The only sore point is the lack of diesel engine and the hideous grille. Wish Maruti launched a scaled down version of MJD just like GM did with the Beat.
shk 8896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:29   #115

I have just added stingray as a companion to my lonely beauty Fluidic Verna. Wanted to add Reverse parking camera on IVRM. Anyone Fitted Reverse Parking Camera screen mounted on Inside Rear View Mirror in a Maruti Car? Maruti Accessories don't have one. If we fit it in other shops, Dealer warns that Warranty will become void. Any advice?
pradeepchristy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 02:39   #116
BHPian

Went to the dealership today and booked the Stingray Vxi for one of my relatives. Actually we had planned to book the WagonR as the budget set was 5 lacs, and it had to be a Maruti for the after sales. But before booking, I thought of giving the Stingray a look. Just by the first sight, everyone felt the premium-ness over the WagonR!

The all black interiors along with the piano black inserts do play a vital role in making the cabin feel more premium, also not to forget the chrome accents. The exchange bonus offered on Stingray was higher than that on the WagonR. By just digging the pockets a little more, we get projectors, sexy alloys and one smarter looking car (IMO)! Yes, even I used to hate the front face and thought it looked like an old washing machine! But it grew on me. Also, the number on Stingrays on road are quite less making them somewhat unique. With all these perks in mind, the Stingray was finalized in a Blue shade.

IMHO, those whoever are considering a WagonR, the Stingray is worth a glance!

Last edited by nishantdlv : 3rd February 2015 at 02:45.
nishantdlv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 08:08   #117
BHPian

Smile Re: Maruti Suzuki Stingray : Picture Preview

The Stingray has been marketed as an upscale version of WagonR. There was a plan to release an AMT version. Any updates on the Stingray AMT ? I think quite a few people would be interested in it , me included !
deltheking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 09:16   #118
BHPian

I hope they launch the AMT on the top variant as well. Right now there are no options of safety features if one has to opt for AMT.

Will want them to include passenger air-bag as well.
SchumiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 10:01   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantdlv View Post
......the Stingray was finalized in a Blue shade.

IMHO, those whoever are considering a WagonR, the Stingray is worth a glance!

Dear Nishant
Congrats on your booking.
Stingray does look very elegant in the blue shade.

The premium feel is felt in the way the car has been put together.
Sadly, it did not have the fan following of the regular Wagon R which which infact as you correctly said adds to unique vehicle to drive.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 20:07   #120
BHPian

Any idea about the probable launch date of the AMT version. Last I heard, Wagon R and Stingray both were to be launched with AMT by this festive season. Quite like the Stingray, and would love to add it to my garage.
ScorpMan is offline   Reply With Quote