Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th September 2013, 16:07   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Why do Indian cars have limited variants (compared to US / UK)?

As of today, the Nissan Micra is available in 12 variants!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/22285792.cms
MARCUS_520i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 19:49   #32
BHPian

In developing countries, the new stragety is to allow the customer to "build your own vechile". You can choose every thing from paint to seat cover to bull bars.
The multiple variant thing will slowy fade away.
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 20:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post

Couldn't you have a Yeti in a similar dark shade resprayed by a competent paintshop?

-full!
Snappy answer mate is a big NO. I would never respray or re paint a car just for the heck of it. I always prefer buying my car with OEM paint specs and keeping it that way till I part from it.
And again, I would think very hard indeed before entrusting my much loved piece of expensive machinery to some ham handed halfwit who does not know one end of a paint booth from a ruddy paint brush. Amen!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 20:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post

Shankar saab, we were in almost the same situation last year when my friend (and a fellow-BHPian now - Jetta_Volkmann) was in lookout for a Jetta painted with the Vento-Blue.

At some point of time, we caught up with an idea to contact VW group directly for such an option and we did send them a few emails (IDs taken randomly with Google's for us to fail in the process.

Note: We did end up opting a Silver shaded Jetta in this case; related threads:

1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ck-silver.html (VW New Jetta (MT) - Toffee Brown or Leaf Silver??? Update: It's Moonrock Silver!)

2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...s-t-b-h-p.html (My new 4 wheels, the T-B-H-P)

And Shankar sir, You were a part of this color-deciding thread too

Cheers!!
M
Matey. I understand you well. I remember recommending Silver to you.
I had a similar conversation with Mahindras around 4 or 5 years ago asking them whether they would give me my Scorpio in the older Turf Green. Got a big fat NO for my pains, though I went straight to the top with my request.
Old 5th September 2013, 07:19   #35
BHPian

I think that when coming to Indian customers, companies do not care much. For them three variants are more than enough for petrol and diesel each. Don't know if it has something to do with the mindset of the indian customer as such compared to an american or european customer. Ideally, just like configuring a laptop, we should be able to configure the car rather than coming up with fixed variants. for e.g.: I would need my car to have ABS, only front airbags, no music system, automatic climate control. Basically, pay for what we need rather than get dumped with unwanted features from the manufacturer.
kiranknair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 05:36   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Snappy answer mate is a big NO. I would never respray or re paint a car just for the heck of it. I always prefer buying my car with OEM paint specs and keeping it that way till I part from it.
And again, I would think very hard indeed before entrusting my much loved piece of expensive machinery to some ham handed halfwit who does not know one end of a paint booth from a ruddy paint brush. Amen!
Well, ahem, mate, I would never respray a car uneccessarily either - but your obvious disappointment that your car couldn't be supplied in your dream colour suggested to me that possibly it could be worth it, for you. Personally colour is the last thing on my list - but then I'm never going to buy a new car.

It's a shame you have such a low opinion of the motor vehicle trade - is there nobody skilled out there?
FlatOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 06:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post

Well, ahem, mate, I would never respray a car uneccessarily either - but your obvious disappointment that your car couldn't be supplied in your dream colour suggested to me that possibly it could be worth it, for you. Personally colour is the last thing on my list - but then I'm never going to buy a new car.

It's a shame you have such a low opinion of the motor vehicle trade - is there nobody skilled out there?
Quite the contrary. Lots of skilled workers here. However, these new fangled cars all require those specialized sterile areas and paint booths and whatnot like one sees on Wheeler Dealers. Our innate dusty conditions also are a cause for concern. And unfortunately these days, the urge to just 'get the job done' on the part of the paint workers and others, cause them to take short cuts. One cannot supervise the whole process start to end so one has to trust to their good intent.
Plus there is the issue of 'originality' which is a big thing here in India. Even if a car has indeed been re sprayed on account of the owner's genuine colour preference, it does still affect the re sale value of the car because when one goes to re sell, it is automatically presumed that the car has met with some kind of unhappy circumstance and hence, the re spray.
In a used car market that is mostly un organized and extremely hit or miss, the trust factor is also very low. These are some of the other reasons why I would not wish to re paint my car ever, if possible.
Old 6th September 2013, 06:35   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

It is about the industry philosophy. Are you competing purely on the basis of brand (think Maruti swift or Hyundai i20) or is the difference between brands so narrow that the ability to customize one's car becomes a key differentiator in the market. Clearly our market hasnt evolved to that extent yet. When the focus of the manufacturer is on churning out as many numbers as possible, having large, ready to go inventory with limited variants - you will get the Indian market conditions.

It is just a matter of time - once the market evolves, we can then come back nostalgically and read this thread

//I would want ABS/airbags in the base version itself - the lesser the other farkles, the better for me!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 13:10   #39
BHPian

just my thoughts on the topic.

1. The fact that premium hatchbacks have been accepted by the Indians is proof that the market is maturing.

2. The concept of a second car is slowly gaining acceptance - not a huge percentage outside the metros, but yes.

3. The average Indian car buyer probably is still very influenced by the price and milage.

4. The concept of powerful versions of the mainstream cars are slowly gaining acceptance.

If these are the situations, our car makers could atleast venture into the concept of customisation, atleast with cosmetic features to start with.

Figo had the option of a red / black interior. good initiative but limited.

My thoughts about what could possible be made available as a begining initiative:

1. choice of interior colours (a black and what ever they choose )
2. choice of alloy wheel designs and probably one upsize
3. headlamp options, atleast as a paid accessory. (xenons / double barrel if it exists in their portfolio elsewhere)
4. option of safety features like ABS, airbags even in the cheapest variant; somebody might jus want those and might be willing to pay for it.
5. a choice of subtle body kits

If these are available from the carmaker, warranty issues would be taken care and the concern of safety over certain below par products that people choose due to lack of availability of better would be addressed to a certain extent.

With modern cars having alsorts of electronic computing units the and electrical units the last thing one wants is the car being meddled with by some inexperienced chap and stranded in the middle of no where.
differential is offline   Reply With Quote