Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st September 2013, 20:35   #1
BHPian

Default HM launches the Ambassador Encore (BSIV Diesel)

HM launches the Ambassador Encore (BSIV Diesel)-download.jpg

Indian car and utility vehicle maker Hindustan Motors has just launched the BS4 emissions compliant, diesel version of the Ambassador. Dubbed the Ambassador Encore, this diesel car's BS4 compliance will mean that it can now be sold in 17 cities, from where it had to be discontinued since April 2010 due to non-compliance of BS4 emission norms.

Curiously, Hindustan Motors has refrained from revealing technical specifications of the BS4 certified diesel engine of the Ambassador, apart from the engine's displacement of 1.5 liters. What it has revealed though, is the price of the car. The Hindustan Ambassador Encore BS4 Diesel car is priced at 4.98 lakh rupees, ex-showroom Kolkata.

In BS-3 guise, the Ambassador's 1.5 liter diesel engine outputs 36 Bhp-73 Nm. Power and torque figures for the OBD-II compliant, BS4 version of this engine are expected to be higher. Quotes from Mr Bimal Kumar Guha, the General Secretary of Bengal Taxi Association seems to indicate just this,

The new vehicle offers higher power and torque, better vehicle control with power steering, improved gradient negotiating capacity and overall better driveability with no compromise on fuel consumption. The smoke issue has also been resolved by the BS IV engine.

Bookings of the Ambassador Encore will begin today. The West Bengal government has just issued 2,000 permits under the "No Refusal" taxi scheme, with a further 2,000 permits due to be issued in November 2013. Sales of the Ambassador Encore are expected to be driven largely by this new scheme.

Also, cabbies in Kolkata seeking to buy the Ambassador Diesel under the No Refusal cab scheme are eligible for a further discount. The No Refusal cab scheme involves the taxi driver signing an agreement with the West Bengal government, stating that he/she will not refuse passengers at any hour of the day or in inclement weather conditions.

This rule has been brought into effect as taxi drivers in Kolkata have been found refusing passengers a ride due to various pretexts. Taxis that will ply Kolkata roads under the No Refusal scheme will feature prominently displayed No Refusal signage on their front doors.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2013 at 16:34. Reason: Adding our own news item
searchingheaven is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 21:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: HM launches the Ambassador Encore (BSIV Diesel)

How on earth does HM manage to draw ONLY 36 bhp from a 1.5L diesel engine??

For comparisons, the Renault 1.5L K9K in it's extremely detuned state outputs around 66 bhp, and at the best of tuning, around 106 bhp.

Or for that matter, the 1.3 MJD used by FIAT, MSIL, GM and Tata outputs 69 to 104 bhp in multiple states of tuning.

Please correct me if I went wrong with the figures anywhere.

On a separate note - I believe writing 'No Refusal' on these new cabs automatically establishes the right for the other (already infamous) cabs of Kolkata to refuse passengers at will.

Last edited by blackasta : 1st September 2013 at 21:31. Reason: Added last line
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 21:27   #3
BHPian

The specs are useless, but as a taxi, high hp isn't very important.
The Ambassador does offer what no other car does, excellent rear comfort and high boot space. That's all a taxi needs.
dozer is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 21:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
How on earth does HM manage to draw ONLY 36 bhp from a 1.5L diesel engine??
I do wonder the same. 38 HP for such a big vehicle is almost useless and would lug like a log under full load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
The specs are useless, but as a taxi, high hp isn't very important.
The Ambassador does offer what no other car does, excellent rear comfort and high boot space. That's all a taxi needs.
I agree partially that Taxi's need more of Torque than Power for mileage/efficiency reasons but there is the question of lugging and drive ability.

I can understand 38 HP for a Nano/Eon/Alto 800 but for a Taxi that big and heavy 38 HP would be very low.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 21:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

The group of people inspecting things under the bonnet as seen in the first pic are probably wondering too how come such a large engine has so less power.

Maybe thats the "value engineering" HM is talking about !
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 21:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
How True. Over the past week or so, I've been shuttling daily in our office cars for some official work. The cars are an Ambassador (a white one, with white seat covers with over 1.6 lakhs on the clock) and an Indica (around 30K kms on the clock). The ride typically lasts 90-100 minutes in typical Bangalore traffic, and some open roads. I'd have a horrible back ache and thigh pain by the time I reach my destination if I am in an Indica, but in the Ambassador, I've comfortably slept through the journey!!
binaiks is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 22:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
How on earth does HM manage to draw ONLY 36 bhp from a 1.5L diesel engine?
Nothing to be seriously worried about, The BMC based HM 1.5L Petrol engine of yore, developed only 38 BHP.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 22:18   #8
BHPian

For a taxi, Amby makes great sense. Comfy suspension, lovely rear sofa, cave like boot and living room like ambience. What more you want when out on long taxi rides. And its traditionally been built strong, so safety is taken care as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
...in the Ambassador, I've comfortably slept through the journey!!
I hardly see ambys on bangalore roads nowadays. You are lucky to be chauffer driven in one, nowadays!
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 22:20   #9
BHPian

Greetings

Ambassador a car which still gets you a spot in any vip parking without any questions asked ! Yes new luxury cars have crept their way into the government but ambassadors are still there. The comfort of an ambassador cannot be compared ! If you talk About the old fashioned look why don't we remember the london taxi ? Yes modern inside but I still like the iconic look of the black london cabs ! HM should work with something like that ! A good engine on a classic retro body is equal to a major share in the taxi segment !
Let's see what's in store for HM .
Regards
Imran
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 01:03   #10
MHG
BHPian

Call me an idiot, but I actually like the Ambassador. It isn't crash-test worthy, but more than crashes, what Indians tend to face a lot more is getting bumped by other vehicles. The heavy sheet metal with no crumple zones does stand up pretty well to that. The engine might have The ancient diesel engine might be low tech, but atleast it can be serviced by anyone anywhere. There were real issues with this car before, like rusting. And the current ground clearance at 152mm seems really small (as low as a Micra). If those issues are taken care of, I see no reason why the Ambassador is a bad car. It still deserves to be called the king of Indian roads.

But I liked the Contessa a lot more, and would actually go out and buy one today if it was still being manufactured and parts were widely available. I'd get one in light green or bright orange and put a black racing stripe on it. The meanest looking car to roll out of an Indian factory, this was the four-wheeled equivalent of a Royal Enfield. Looks best when driven slow.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 02:06   #11
BHPian

Comfort and the solid build of the Ambassador has always been its most likable points and they made it a public favorite. No wonder Ambassador was declared as the best taxi on the BBC Top Gear as well (ignoring how funny the test was).

Actually limiting this only to taxi might make few of the Amby fans sad

Last edited by vidyanand : 2nd September 2013 at 02:17.
vidyanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 02:36   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Actually limiting this only to taxi might make few of the Amby fans sad
On a different point of view if they launch a slightly more powerful version and not keep the 'Taxi' image then guys who like to collect cars would love to add this to their collection.

My dad had a 1961 model but sadly he had to sell it off in 2003. I was so pissed off then as I never got a chance to drive that marvel. So, I don't mind buying one now

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

All modern diesel cars are turbo-charged so they generate a higher torque and power compared to naturally aspirated diesel cars like Ambassador.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:53   #14
BHPian

^ Only the 1.5L BS4 on amby is N,A. The 2.0L BS3 vairant is turbo-ed.

HM has done the right thing by going BS4 on a variant that can have maximum sales - 1.5L that taxi-wallahs prefer. Hopefully, the CS variant this year will come with 1.8L ISZ and 2.0L Turbo BS4.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
^ Only the 1.5L BS4 on amby is N,A. The 2.0L BS3 vairant is turbo-ed.

HM has done the right thing by going BS4 on a variant that can have maximum sales - 1.5L that taxi-wallahs prefer. Hopefully, the CS variant this year will come with 1.8L ISZ and 2.0L Turbo BS4.
The whole idea of making the CS is for the excise benefits, so there's no way they will put in the 2.0L engine. It will have this 1.5L.

I remember reading that the Kolkata government has now approved other cars as well for Taxi licenses, like the Indigo CS, etc. I'm sure the CS is cheaper to buy as well.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote