Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 16:46   #76
BHPian
 
dreadknight5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 69
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Interesting to see all the cars that blazed the charts falling off equally quickly. The XUV frenzy seems a distant memory. Initial euphoria fading as dramatically and rapidly as they rose. What does this say about the Ecosport?

Both the XUV and Duster had folks furiously working the phones for 'contacts' or harassing overwhelmed dealers and sales folks for delivery. Now I guess both Mahindra and Renault dealers are just waiting to pounce on potential customers.
To be honest, XUV 5OO's price has gone up by by atleast INR 100,000 since launch. So now typically on road price is 15+ in most cities. It did carry the value addition tag and its likely it attracted people who weren't willing to shell 20 + for other SUV's. But to be honest, I don't see a constant stream of customers who would shell 15+ for a vehicle. The ones who were willing to shell 10+ for a car probably went ahead and shelled out 5 more for the XUV. But this demographic is surely limited. If you observe, there is a very limited market for vehicles in the 15+ category. Baring the overpriced Fortuner, everyone else sell few hundred vehicles each month.

So XUV's demand was meant to come down with or without competition. If there was no competition from Duster , the demand would have been there for few additional months and it would have come down eventually.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Thanks a ton again for the analysis guys. Good to see some changes from the usual trends. Duster and XUV not selling as hot as they would have wanted to. Ecosport numbers are limited only by Ford's inability to cater to the demand. Figo going down steadily. It's high time I guess they spruce up the interiors and offer all four power windows atleast on cars costing 6.5 lakh OTR. I am in the market for a new car and was seriously put off by this.
Good to see a spike in fiat numbers. During the course of my test drives I realised punto is as good as any car in the market today even after being a 5year old model. It may not be the best for everyone but certainly way better than what the figures suggest.
Quanto and vibe? I don't know why mahindra tries these things.
Punto is a very decent car when compared to its peers. It is unfortunate that it doesn't have the market it deserves. Problem in India is that a typical Indian buyer is affected by sheep mentality. We are very easily affected by the hype in market.

Duster to be honest was overpriced from the word "GO". But People found it to be a cheaper and easily maneuverable( City friendly) SUV than Scorpio/Safari. It was also from an international brand and so they went for it by the droves. When a new vehicle ( Eco Sport) cheaper than Duster was introduced , people flocked to that one.

India is a price sensitive market and if your next big thing is cheaper than the current big thing with similar quality levels, you will be a hit.

Last edited by dreadknight5 : 5th September 2013 at 16:48. Reason: spelling
dreadknight5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 17:23   #77
BHPian
 
sinharishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indirapuram,GZB
Posts: 387
Thanked: 693 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I honestly don't see why the quanto is not selling well. It ticks most of the boxes for the Indian buying public. I for one will recommend everyone to take a test-drive for this car before deciding.

Thanks,
Simple_car
You may disagree but,

Quanto has failed to divert customers from hatch/sedan market. There is no USP of the product , when you compare it to Eco Sport.Eco Sport is compact,its futuristic and has good interiors and priced well.

Most of the customers would have changed their mind for the TDs after the first look. I would blame the Ertiga too for the low numbers.

Looks apart. M&M rushed to release this product. Imagine if they had taken some more time and instead chopping the Xylo, they would have done the same with XUV?
sinharishi is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 17:50   #78
BHPian
 
Simple_car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dance Bar City!
Posts: 319
Thanked: 559 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
You may disagree but,
I don't disagree entirely.

USP's:
- abuse friendly.
- cheap to buy and maintain (on maintainence part I am assuming since it is early to say for certain, I based it on the spare parts price list which I have seen before buying).
- engine (3-pot, but the best amongst them).
- VFM. It is infact priced very well for what it offers (although the top end is more than what I like, but all manufacturers price their top-end models rather over-enthusiastically).

Mahindra cars are honest cars.. that's what I like about them. I agree that for the segment that they targeted, they had their priorities wrong. And the market is showing them exactly that.

Mahindra cars are honest cars. Eco-sport is a fine car (and I will agree wholeheartedly. I am for that matter a blue oval fan-boy myself. Have 4 of them in my family, all bought on my insistence), however:
- Pricing is intelligent, not cheap.
- Design is futuristic. I say it is like a fashion accessory, and like I said before, beauty are in the eye of the beholder. I like it now. I will not like it in the future. Quanto makes no bones about it's appearance. It is bad from the beginning.
- Interiors are nice you say. They are designed in a futuristic way. Touch the materials used, and you'll see that both are the same. They are made of durable plastics. The finish, however is better in the ford.
- Compactness, the eco-sport wins by a small margin. I will agree.

Both cars actually target people of different priorities. The market is the ultimate decider.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 18:27   #79
BHPian
 
Kratos453's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 124
Thanked: 140 Times
Post Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
But is there any reason why the Figo sales are on a decline? By themselves, is the product now class matching (surely they don't seem class leading). I don't see EcoSport sales cannibalising the Figo, given their price differences.
The answer probably lies in the fact that most of the consumers have become even more conscious now about fuel consumption especially with the raising petrol and diesel prices.

The bulk of Figo bookings are the diesel version. But when consumers look at the engine choices on offer, the Swift and the Hyundai i20 seem like better deals, as long term running costs may work out cheaper. The Figo petrol gives a claimed fuel economy of 15.6 kmpl. The Maruti Swift and i20 will give around 17-19 kmpl.

Thereís also the perception that Ford maintenance costs are higher than Maruti and Hyundai. Thatís something that Ford is trying to change. To be honest Ford Figo spare part costs are actually best-in-class, but thatís something Ford needs to effectively convey to its customers. Past experiences with earlier Ford cars (Escort, Ikon and Fiesta) have made customers quite vary about service standards and costs of Ford vehicles.
Kratos453 is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 18:55   #80
BHPian
 
Gokrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai and AR
Posts: 289
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Good report as usual GTO! Though automobile numbers may not be truly representative of billion plus population, considering the percolation effect it has on the auxiliary industries and indirect taxes collection, these numbers, to a great extent, depict the picture of the economy. Probably, we may have to live in this sad state of economy at least till the elections are over! Is any data available on commercial vehicle sales too which in my opinion, will concur with the State of economy most of the times!
Gokrish is online now  
Old 5th September 2013, 20:03   #81
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,364
Thanked: 13,330 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Is any data available on commercial vehicle sales too which in my opinion, will concur with the State of economy most of the times!
Gokrish, here you go:

There are two thread running for the commercial vehicles sales figures.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...les-india.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...les-india.html

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 21:15   #82
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 84
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

One interesting thing to note - both the Scorpio and the Eeco have sold more than the duster the last month. Scorpio, despite being older than a decade is still doing decent numbers. Could someone help understand, if scorpio is a better value proposition compared to the Duster. Also i noticed several post indicating that it is the ecosport effect that has caused the decline for duster. Is that the only reason - after all duster set the charts on fire in the initial months and is definitely a capable car.
Shiwik is offline  
Old 5th September 2013, 22:59   #83
BHPian
 
mohitk1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manipal
Posts: 81
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post

I honestly don't see why the quanto is not selling well. It ticks most of the boxes for the Indian buying public. I for one will recommend everyone to take a test-drive for this car before deciding.
To be bluntly honest, I do not think the Quanto ticks ANY boxes for the Indian buying public. Forget the frumpy looks, the hard plastics and the overall drab interior ambience, the car lacks the very-essential aspirational value that an Indian common man looks for in his car. Even to this date, our emotions continue to overrule other factors when it comes to buying a car and we seldom factor in our basic requirements.

Also, with Mahindra's own Bolero rubbing shoulders with it, the Quanto had always had its work cut out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadknight5 View Post
To be honest, XUV 5OO's price has gone up by by atleast INR 100,000 since launch. So now typically on road price is 15+ in most cities. It did carry the value addition tag and its likely it attracted people who weren't willing to shell 20 + for other SUV's. But to be honest, I don't see a constant stream of customers who would shell 15+ for a vehicle. The ones who were willing to shell 10+ for a car probably went ahead and shelled out 5 more for the XUV. But this demographic is surely limited. If you observe, there is a very limited market for vehicles in the 15+ category. Baring the overpriced Fortuner, everyone else sell few hundred vehicles each month.

So XUV's demand was meant to come down with or without competition. If there was no competition from Duster , the demand would have been there for few additional months and it would have come down eventually.
With due respect, I would like to disagree. The fact that its price has risen up by a lac is not as big a deterrent as:

1. The constant electronic gremlins that simply refuse to let go.
2. Newer, better and reliable competitors have arrived.

If pricing had been a problem, the Fortuner (which has had it's price raised by almost 5 lakhs since launch) would have simply refused to move off the showroom floor. But that bungalow-on-wheels continues to sell, and how!
mohitk1993 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 23:51   #84
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,364
Thanked: 13,330 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitk1993 View Post
To be bluntly honest, I do not think the Quanto ticks ANY boxes for the Indian buying public. Forget the frumpy looks, the hard plastics and the overall drab interior ambience, the car lacks the very-essential aspirational value that an Indian common man looks for in his car. Even to this date, our emotions continue to overrule other factors when it comes to buying a car and we seldom factor in our basic requirements.

Also, with Mahindra's own Bolero rubbing shoulders with it, the Quanto had always had its work cut out.
A car has to attract a person toward it. This quality in a car will keep it in the market for long.

The Quanto just looks like a Xylo with its rear end cut forcibly to evade the tax. Now the Xylo hardly sells so how will a customer go for a Quanto!

Mahindra is trying hard to sell its cars but the movement just doesn't justify.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 00:44   #85
BHPian
 
Simple_car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dance Bar City!
Posts: 319
Thanked: 559 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitk1993 View Post
To be bluntly honest, I do not think the Quanto ticks ANY boxes for the Indian buying public. Forget the frumpy looks, the hard plastics and the overall drab interior ambience, the car lacks the very-essential aspirational value that an Indian common man looks for in his car. Even to this date, our emotions continue to overrule other factors when it comes to buying a car and we seldom factor in our basic requirements.

Also, with Mahindra's own Bolero rubbing shoulders with it, the Quanto had always had its work cut out.
As I have already stated, the market is the ultimate decider. You rightly pointed out that the car does not have the aspirational value (which Indians look out for). It is true that our emotions overrule other factors when it comes to buying a car (We do that for all our family cars).
However, I stick to the USP's I have stated above. The vehicle is a reliable one (except for its engine which is new), since it shares parts with other family cars. It is VFM, it gives a good F.E., cheap to buy and it is huge from the inside (with a chance to seat 7). Does this not look like what most Indians look out for in a car?
Hard plastics are there in quanto and its other competitors. Check it out yourself. I have a quanto, fiesta (which shares its interiors with eco-sport) with me here, and a ertiga in my extended family. Interior plastics quality are the same (if you were to look at it as a layman).

On the outside, it looks bad, I know. I like that it makes no bones about its appearance (and I know I am a minority in this case).

It is the interior design aspect where the competitors have an edge.
Drab interiors? Are you kidding? Beige-ish colour and huge glass area of the car does not make for a drab interior. I am not saying that the quanto's interiors are good (far from it), but they are not drab at least. The best term to describe them is: acceptable.

I think it's not the bolero which is rubbing shoulders with the quanto, it is the scorpio. Bolero is a utilitarian vehicle. Scorpio has a aspirational value here and it is quite closely priced. As a matter of fact, had it not been for the pathetic brakes on the base model and the body roll on that car, we would have gone for the base model scorpio (which was within our reach).
But, hey who am I to know any better? Maybe, it must be the bolero which must be eating into quanto.

The mechanical bits in all mahindra cars are rock solid good and reliable. Never mind the fact that rest of the car disintegrates (first hand experience). However, they are honest. I like this quality in a vehicle. I am not a fan of its looks, but hey it serves my purpose. I am happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
A car has to attract a person toward it. This quality in a car will keep it in the market for long.

The Quanto just looks like a Xylo with its rear end cut forcibly to evade the tax. Now the Xylo hardly sells so how will a customer go for a Quanto!

Mahindra is trying hard to sell its cars but the movement just doesn't justify.

Anurag.
For a car to attract a person, first the person must know what he wants from a car. It seems the market reflects very well what we Indians want from our cars.
I still think on a whole, the quanto is a very good contender and makes a very good case for itself. It has the USP's which I have already stated. It fails on the design aspect, but there is a flip side to this as well. Mahindra might not have invested a lot in its development, hence it will be ok with the low numbers.
Leave the looks aside, and it is a good car. I know, it may never sell much in the future, but hey.. no harm in hoping right? (even if I am a fool to do so).

*end of fanboy rant*

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 01:21   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,364
Thanked: 13,330 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
For a car to attract a person, first the person must know what he wants from a car. It seems the market reflects very well what we Indians want from our cars.
This would be possible if the person has some technical knowledge but there are people who just buy a car for its name and brand image. I have no idea what the market says but the 'market' comprises of "WE" customers right? We can make the market or break it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I still think on a whole, the quanto is a very good contender and makes a very good case for itself. It has the USP's which I have already stated.
The Quanto may be a good car but why didn't it sell well in numbers in spite of being cheaper due to tax exemption? Price and Mileage are two important parts of a car for the Indian market of which both are justified for the Quanto in its respective segment. People who have technical inclination would understand the USP of the Quanto as you stated but the Tier-II and Tier-III cities don't bother about the USP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Leave the looks aside, and it is a good car. I know, it may never sell much in the future, but hey.. no harm in hoping right? (even if I am a fool to do so).
For me, it is LOOKS in first place for a decision of buying a car to pass or fail. Let it be having 100 advantages over the competition. If the looks don't satisfy me I can't proceed further in the deal.

Future predictions and Hope are the two things we keep doing for the rest of our lives and same goes for the products we all get. Manufacturers hope that it would sell well one day. But...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offence to you and the people who like the Quanto. The opinions are not to hurt anyone.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now  
Old 6th September 2013, 11:31   #87
BHPian
 
mohitk1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manipal
Posts: 81
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
However, I stick to the USP's I have stated above. The vehicle is a reliable one (except for its engine which is new), since it shares parts with other family cars. It is VFM, it gives a good F.E., cheap to buy and it is huge from the inside (with a chance to seat 7). Does this not look like what most Indians look out for in a car?
I admit I went a little too harsh on the Quanto; please accept my apologies for the same. The li'l Mahindra does have its USPs, I agree; however, what Mahindra and Tata fail to understand is the simple fact that Indian customers have now started looking for value, above everything else. This is a country where 8 lakh hatchbacks have finally managed to rub shoulders with their sedan counterparts. Being under the age-old illusion that simply putting 7 seats will make a car sell is not wise. The product must be unique, it must have a TRUE USP, and that it is what the Quanto lacks.

Just look at the Ecosport's success. What can be the true reason behind its blockbuster performance? The simple fact that Indian customers feel they are getting a SUV for hatchback money is what makes it tick, even though the product itself is no larger than an ordinary hatchback. Now, let us go back to the Quanto. It looks likes a shrunken Xylo, a car which could not even dream of winning any design accolades and then has sub-par interior quality bits to make matters worse.

7 seats. Are you kidding me?? Even a 5 year old would know that those 2 extra seats were fitted just for the sake of having them. Had the Quanto been an entirely new product (read: No Xylo), Mahindra may have managed to pull it off. But with the Quanto and Xylo sharing equal showroom space, most buyers would only end up being amused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Hard plastics are there in quanto and its other competitors. Check it out yourself. I have a quanto, fiesta (which shares its interiors with eco-sport) with me here, and a ertiga in my extended family. Interior plastics quality are the same (if you were to look at it as a layman).
To be honest, I have not seen the Quanto's interiors in person and went purely by the official review. As you clearly seem to be satisfied by the overall interior quality as a customer, I shall give you the benefit of doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I think it's not the bolero which is rubbing shoulders with the quanto, it is the scorpio. Bolero is a utilitarian vehicle. Scorpio has a aspirational value here and it is quite closely priced. As a matter of fact, had it not been for the pathetic brakes on the base model and the body roll on that car, we would have gone for the base model scorpio (which was within our reach).
But, hey who am I to know any better? Maybe, it must be the bolero which must be eating into quanto.
What I meant to say is: the Bolero and Quanto are almost priced in the same bracket and hence, cross-shopping was inevitable. However, with its SUV-like looks, street presence and image, the Bolero was always destined to have a upper hand in the game. That is where the Quanto truly suffers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I like this quality in a vehicle. I am not a fan of its looks, but hey it serves my purpose. I am happy.
I think that matters most in a vehicle. Irrespective of how it looks, feels and performers, as long as you are satisfied with your vehicle and its capabilities, the ULTIMATE goal of buying a car is achieved. Congratulations on your Quanto: I hope it serves you well.
mohitk1993 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 11:46   #88
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,050
Thanked: 15,543 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Impressive sales figures from Audi.

Audi India on reports 20.52 per cent rise in sales in August at 875 units. The company had sold 726 units in the same month of last year.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/22334242.cms
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 14:14   #89
BHPian
 
Simple_car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dance Bar City!
Posts: 319
Thanked: 559 Times
Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

My replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This would be possible if the person has some technical knowledge but there are people who just buy a car for its name and brand image. I have no idea what the market says but the 'market' comprises of "WE" customers right? We can make the market or break it.

I don't consider myself as a part of the market. *Monarch voice*: I am a self procliamed enthusiast. I am above the other commoners

People who have technical inclination would understand the USP of the Quanto as you stated but the Tier-II and Tier-III cities don't bother about the USP.

Very true

For me, it is LOOKS in first place for a decision of buying a car to pass or fail. Let it be having 100 advantages over the competition. If the looks don't satisfy me I can't proceed further in the deal.

I guess this is where we differ. I happen to have one of the ugliest garage, and a history littered with ugly cars (as per common perception, not mine). I never buy cars that are common with the masses, since most of the time, their preferences are never in tune with mine.

No offence to you and the people who like the Quanto. The opinions are not to hurt anyone.

None taken by me at least. You are right in your thinking. As a matter of fact, I like the fact that the quanto is not sold in high numbers. Gives me a nice exclusivity feel.

Anurag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitk1993 View Post
however, what Mahindra and Tata fail to understand is the simple fact that Indian customers have now started looking for value, above everything else. This is a country where 8 lakh hatchbacks have finally managed to rub shoulders with their sedan counterparts. Being under the age-old illusion that simply putting 7 seats will make a car sell is not wise. The product must be unique, it must have a TRUE USP, and that it is what the Quanto lacks.

And the quanto does not give value? I fail to understand what you are saying. It is the most VFM vehicle in the market amongst it's competitors (which I am assuming are the ertiga, eco-sport, maybe the duster and sumo). And compared to the competition, it's USP's are valid.
It lacks the image which an Indian buyer wants..TRUE. I have never doubted that.
It has bad interior design and bad interior 'bits'.. TRUE. I have never doubted that.
Age old illusion of putting 7 seats is not wise.. And it is wise in the ertiga or the sumo? The rear-most seats of quanto are a joke, yes. Are the competition any better? (ertiga's last row seats are also meant for children, like the quanto)
Does it give what the market is looking for.. NO. I know that very well, and I know what you are trying to say. I agree.


Just look at the Ecosport's success. What can be the true reason behind its blockbuster performance? The simple fact that Indian customers feel they are getting a SUV for hatchback money is what makes it tick, even though the product itself is no larger than an ordinary hatchback. Now, let us go back to the Quanto. It looks likes a shrunken Xylo, a car which could not even dream of winning any design accolades and then has sub-par interior quality bits to make matters worse.

I don't understand. I have never said that the quanto is a good looking car. And I have already made it clear that the market has already told mahindra what it wants. It is a chopped-off xylo. Of course! The marketing guys may say anything, but the management of mahindra know the truth. It was never designed to win any design accolades in the first place. Nobody in mahindra is that daft. It is like the dacia brand in europe. It is an honest car which is cheap and reliable. That's it.
Indian customers care only for brand/image. If they cannot afford the car which has image.. they just go by the herd mentality. There are plenty of examples of that in the market (although in many cases, the marketing department of the company failed miserably).


7 seats. Are you kidding me?? Even a 5 year old would know that those 2 extra seats were fitted just for the sake of having them. Had the Quanto been an entirely new product (read: No Xylo), Mahindra may have managed to pull it off. But with the Quanto and Xylo sharing equal showroom space, most buyers would only end up being amused.



To be honest, I have not seen the Quanto's interiors in person and went purely by the official review. As you clearly seem to be satisfied by the overall interior quality as a customer, I shall give you the benefit of doubt.

I have already stated, that the best word to describe the interiors is: acceptable. It is not the best (far from it), it will serve it's purpose. And I have already said, it is not good in design. I just glanced the t-bhp review right now. Surprisingly, the color in mine is different than the one in the review. Can be due to the fact that mine is a base model.

What I meant to say is: the Bolero and Quanto are almost priced in the same bracket and hence, cross-shopping was inevitable.
I have mentioned on this point below.



I think that matters most in a vehicle.

Of course, that's all that matters. I hope it keeps me happy though. That only time will tell. Till date, all gambles with mahindra products have paid off for us, hence we took the plunge. I am still apprehensive of th engine's reliability, but the plunge has been taken.
You weren't harsh at all. You were right in your observations of the car, even if you have not sat in one. However, let me tell you a true story, about myself when this car was being selected.
The vehicle was going to be used only for office purposes over bad roads day in and out. Hence we were looking for a utilitarian vehicle. Looks and image are the last considerations for us when we buy a car (you have to see my garage.. I hate all the cars from the looks aspect myself).
I was downside adamant not to buy this car.. I was in-fact gung-ho for the bolero (which as you said is priced nearly on par. In fact the bs-3 version was cheaper by 50k ex-showroom), sumo and maybe the xenos. We already have 2 bolero's with us, which apart from their drive-train just dis-integrate every 3-4 years. I love those cars. My father was keen on scorpio more. After the test drive, both of us vetoed the scorpio out. I refused to test drive the quanto as a mark of protest (I was kind of fed up with all the ugly cars in my home, and if bolero and scorpio's interiors were anything to go by, I was not exactly very keen).
The dealer gave us a sweet deal for the quanto, and hence my father booked it (I was haggling hard with the tata dealer for the sumo, since I badly wanted a change. But the dealer did not budge beyond a point and we have had bad experiences with tata dealers didn't help my case either). I refused to drive the car for a 3 days when it came to my home. That's how much I didn't like it. Finally, when I was forced to drive it, it was the biggest revelation. You see, I had already formed a bad impression in my mind based on the review on this site and auto mags. I am myself used to cars with finesse, handling, good interiors (my family has a good history of owning euro, and good japanese cars. I was bought up with these cars in my home, so you can see why I was not at all keen on such this car which I considered as a downgrade).
As soon as I drove it for 200 kms, I was shocked at how much I like it. In-fact, I even suggested to dad to make it as our family car. The t-bhp review is spot on. Every single point said in the review is correct. Yet, I loved this car. I knew why.. there was a feel of honesty surrounding the car (A point which I value above all else). Funnily enough, my dad hates it! (he hates SUV's in general)

Lesson learnt: never ever read a review before buying a car. It is plain stupid thing to do. As a enthusiast, I like cars which have power, good road manners etc.., but I have learnt my lesson, not to form an opinion before driving a car.
My point: Don't ever form an opinion of a car by reading reviews of the car (even if they are written by the best people in the business).

Till this day I thank my dad for selecting this car. It is a ugly duckling, however, it is a VFM car. I appreciate its virtues and I definitely think it deserves a better sales in the market. However, the world is what it is. I am not going to be able to change that. I have accepted that.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 15:41   #90
BHPian
 
Kratos453's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 124
Thanked: 140 Times
Post Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Lesson learnt: never ever read a review before buying a car. It is plain stupid thing to do. As a enthusiast, I like cars which have power, good road manners etc.., but I have learnt my lesson, not to form an opinion before driving a car.
My point: Don't ever form an opinion of a car by reading reviews of the car (even if they are written by the best people in the business).

Thanks,
Simple_car
Hi, I think you have got a bit emotional over here. I understand how you feel especially with your purchase and the reviews but the reviews are there just to give you a brief understanding about the vehicle. They are not to discourage you from purchasing what you like and so are the sales figures.

If only the reviews and sales figures were to judge how good/bad a car is! Then I guess most of the members in team bhp who rate the fiat linea very high should be among the best selling cars and yet you find the car hardly in the four digit figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Till this day I thank my dad for selecting this car. It is a ugly duckling, however, it is a VFM car. I appreciate its virtues and I definitely think it deserves a better sales in the market. However, the world is what it is. I am not going to be able to change that. I have accepted that.
Take a decision and never regret it. I understand how it feels to purchase a car that you like and rest of the world simply judge it by it's looks. Ask me I know very well how it feels especially owning a RITZ. People simple come to me and ask why have you purchased RITZ why not Swift? I simple answer: Because swift is to low to drive, it is not as practical as RITZ and I couldn't wait 3 months for delivery. We all have our reasons but today I just love what I have and I am never fighting with the world(Not the team-bhp/knowledgeable world, a less knowledgeable world who judge a car only by how it looks and what others have to say about it)

If Ritz had not landed in my garage I probably would have had Fiat Linea which I would have still got booed from most people and ridiculous questions would have raised like why fiat? what about servicing? why this? why that?

I hope you feel better!

Cheers
Kratos453 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
August 2010 - Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 138 1st October 2010 13:45
August 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 100 5th October 2009 14:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks