Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th September 2013, 16:55   #91
BHPian

Default Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Guys, could we please discuss the merits/demerits of the Quanto on a relevant thread? Read the last few posts and I've beginning to forget that this thread is about the sales of all cars for Aug 2013.

Having said that, are there any figures for the Rio and Rhino? I'm interested to know if thse two R's are still being sold and if so, how many of them actually moved from stockyards to garages.

Also, I wonder why the Tata Venture has had such dismal sales. It's nearest competitor is the petrol only Eeco and it sells 3000 cars, while the diesel Venture is stuck on about 500 units.
Old 6th September 2013, 17:06   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
Ask me I know very well how it feels especially owning a RITZ. People simple come to me and ask why have you purchased RITZ why not Swift? I simple answer: Because swift is to low to drive, it is not as practical as RITZ and I couldn't wait 3 months for delivery.
Even I have been asked the same question a million times and I am tired answering them. I wanted the Swift D but due to its never ending waiting I had settle for the Ritz VDi but I don't regret my decision till date. If it was not the Ritz it would have been a Beat TCDi but my dad says he is happy for getting the Ritz. Comfortable, VERY practical and slightly spacious. Love Maruti for the car.

Quote:
We all have our reasons but today I just love what I have and I am never fighting with the world(Not the team-bhp/knowledgeable world, a less knowledgeable world who judge a car only by how it looks and what others have to say about it)
People go by the word of mouth than actually finding how the car and how it feels on a TD.

Anurag.

Note: Let's stop discussing emotions, Ritz, Quanto etc. This thread is about car sales so lets stick to this topic else we shall have a MOD note soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Guys, could we please discuss the merits/demerits of the Quanto on a relevant thread? Read the last few posts and I've beginning to forget that this thread is about the sales of all cars for Aug 2013.
I just said the same above buddy!

Quote:
Having said that, are there any figures for the Rio and Rhino? I'm interested to know if these two R's are still being sold and if so, how many of them actually moved from stockyards to garages.
I guess the Rio and Rhino would not be selling more than 500 units a month and more over the companies don't feature in the list of cars also.

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th September 2013 at 17:17. Reason: Multi-Quote Adding
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 18:10   #93
BHPian

Some of the replies are in bold, rest are below.

Quote:
Hi, I think you have got a bit emotional over here. I understand how you feel especially with your purchase and the reviews but the reviews are there just to give you a brief understanding about the vehicle.
Read below

Take a decision and never regret it.
I don't regret it. I was just telling about my experiece. I was wrong in my thinking (according to me), and hence added it here. It may help somebody in the future who knows? I fully appreciate how my dad thinks many a times.
But I am not getting emotional over anything! I am not even fighting!

You misunderstood me.

I have no intentions of fighting with people who have no interest in cars. It simply does not make any sense. I care two-hoots about the rest of the world. I do not care about their opinion. However, with fellow enthusiasts, I can do that. I am open to a healthy debate with fellow enthusiasts only.

I advise people only one thing when buying a car. Go and test drive it, if you like it, then come and ask me what are the possible drawbacks or problems that they can expect. Buy the vehicle knowing the drawbacks if you are ok with it. That's how one should choose a car. The automobile reviewer's are only supposed to give a neutral opinion about a car. Rest all should be decided by the buyer, since only he/she knows best what he/she wants from a car. That is a plain fact of the matter.

I myself was very keen on the sumo/bolero since I genuinely hate the looks of the cars in my garage myself. Forget about anybody else. The fiesta's derriere has still not grown on me despite it being with us since one year.. I was prejudiced against the quanto from the beginning. It is my fault. I am accepting that. I have realized the error of my ways and hence I thank my dad for making me see the light of the day.

I am not an emotional person when it comes to cars since my family has the sad practice of changing cars every 4-5 years. To top it off, I myself rarely drive most of the cars in my family. How can I become emotionally attached? It is not possible at all. In-fact some of the cars are absolutely terribly maintained by my family, and I can do nothing about it. Hence, I am not the person who becomes emotionally attached to any cars in my family. I let go off, the only car I liked..the spark (to which I had held on to without any sane reason.. refer to my ownership thread) this year to make way for the quanto. Even when the car parted, I had no regrets. Nothing.

I am only debating two points. The fact that some members think that this car has no USP, that is false. I am not concerned whether the car deserves to sell or for that matter sells well or not (that is for the market to decide). My point of debate was only comparing the car with the competition. That's it. Nothing else. If you think, I am being a fanboy of this car, well then I am sorry to tell you how wrong you are. I ended my fanboy rant in the earlier post. I only pointed out the fact that there are USP's of this vehicle when viewed objectively (as an informed person) compared to the competition. The review on this forum has stated those very well, and the points are spot on (except for the part where it mentions that mahindra after-sales is a gamble. I believe they are a gamble with any brand in this country).
As member a4anurag rightly pointed out, most of the people do not think from that angle while buying a car (and understandably so). However, I will certainly not understand when forum members here who are informed say that there is nothing for this vehicle to sell. That will definitely not make any sense.

The other point of debate is on the interiors. Strictly from a layman's point of view, I have never understood how people just blame the poor interior quality in a vehicle. There are only a handful of brands where the interior quality is genuinely good. Most of the mass market manufacturers have plastics of the same quality. Most use durable plastics. It is the colour and clever packaging where the manufacturers play with the consumers. I have a friend on this very forum who is always praises about his honda city's interiors, and criticizes me on the interiors of my fiesta. When I asked him to show me where all the plastics are better in the honda, he could show me only one place, Rest everywhere they were more or less equal. It is the colour and the way the interiors have been packaged in the honda (the ghastly plastic bits are never in touch with the human body).. that's where it wins. That is the point I am trying to make.
Even when you were to compare the quanto with its competitors (I can only compare with the ertiga and sumo grande, and maybe the eco-sport if you were to accept the fact that the fiesta and eco-sport share the interior trims to a great extent), you will see the fact that where the quanto fails is the design. The colours chosen are neutral. Also, some of the bad looking plastic bits are exposed to the human eyes. This is where it fails miserably. Even the ertiga has some horrendous plastic bits.. a normal person would just not take notice of it. Does that mean the interior is sub-par? No. It is acceptable. I only wish to say that. Nothing else. Mohit sir said that the last 2 seats are a joke. I am in full agreement. Is the competition any better? To my eyes, the mahindra's packaging is cleverer. But, that's just me. It is another matter that people do not look at these things when deciding a vehicle. That is not the point of debate. I am only pointing out the flawed thinking as a fellow enthusiast with good intention. It is upto you to take it in whichever way you wish to.

It is a debate. If you think that I am wrong, then point it out where I am. That I will appreciate. I am not a person who know's it all. However, I will not comment until I have a first-hand experience of something. I won't appreciate when people just talk without knowing the facts and just going by the reviews (it doesn't matter whether the best guys wrote it). Ultimately, you are going to use the car, you are the best judge. I am not going to tell you what is best for you. It is always your personal decision.

I only comment on this forum, until I have experienced something firsthand. If I have doubts, I ask. Nothing wrong in that. However, it is silly to just comment about something when you have no experience, and based on someone else's experience. That is not good. People discourage each other buying skoda's, VW's, nissans etc. and other brands based on the experience of a select few people. That is a very flawed way of thinking. You like something, buy it. Stick with it. I have had my fair share of horrendous experiences with some of the brands, but I still would buy a car from the same brand (again, refer to some of the threads in the dealer sections where I have commented).
Let me give you an example: If I were to ask people on this forum which would be their car of choice to buy if they were given a choice (w/o test drive) - ferrari 458 or the mclaren mp4-12c... I am pretty sure (i.e. IMHO) most of them would pick the ferrari. I would say none. Simply because, I have never driven them both, how can I choose? I would rather not buy any. It is that simple (actually, I would choose the one with the highest resale value in the market and sell it off immediately)

As a matter of fact, my brother has a Ritz with him. We had the option of buying the swift (delivery period was not an issue for us since we could avail of immediate delivery of both). I wasn't aware of this forum 3 years back. Do you think I would change my stand as of today? We liked the swift, but it didn't make sense for our requirements, and preferences. So, NO. I would still have opted for the ritz. There were enough people (and even some dealers) who were telling us to go for the swift. We heard them out for their reasons. For us, their reasons seemed to have no dough, hence we went ahead and bought the ritz anyways.

My point is this: do not comment unnecessarily without any facts and solely based on other people's views. You do not like a vehicle's looks.. fine by me (that is always a personal choice).. how much do you know of other people's opinion? Your neighbour and friends may say they like so and so car more over so and so car. That does not paint the entire picture. Leave that to the surveys.

If you wish to note down your opinion, then go ahead and do so. Just put up a disclaimer that such and such thing is my opinion. If people agree with you, fine. I will appreciate it fully. After all, even I have my own opinions.

I, for one do not understand a lot of things in the Indian car industry. I do not work in it, hence I do not comment. I have opinions, no doubt.. however, I will always put up that disclaimer.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 18:41   #94
BHPian

When I say we Indians look for value, I meant this:

1. The i20 is VFM because it offers a significant number of features over its competition and hence justifies a premium.
2. The Ecosport is somewhat VFM because it offers a SUV feel for a price that is a lakh more than a hatchback.

Going by the above logic, is the Quanto over-priced?? No way. However, is it true VFM?? No, it is not VFM either.

Such views are purely subjective and vary from person to person. I am fully entitled to my own views and so is simple_car. On a personal note, I fully respect his decision and hope the Quanto keeps him happy. Maybe, if I were in his position, I might start to like the car.

And yes, we have gone way off-topic. I think we should rest the case and simply give respect to each other's views on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Mohit sir said that.....
My dear friend, please do not make me feel awkward by calling me Sir. I'm just 19 years of age. Heck, I am even younger to you
Old 6th September 2013, 19:08   #95
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Whats with all the discussion about Quanto and Ritz in this thread? This thread is going completely OT. Hope someone doesn't start discussing the Dzire here, then we can maybe have a poll for the car with the ugliest rear end in India. . Jokes apart, to each his own.

Regarding the Aug'13 sales, sad to see that its just the Amaze that is the saving grace for Honda. The city and brio are sinking to new depths. Glad to see that the Skoda superb still is the D2 sedan segment leader with the 1.8Tsi petrol selling more than the diesel.
I wonder who booked the single new ford fiesta petrol in the whole of India. Its a nice car ruined by the pathetic launch pricing.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 19:48   #96
BHPian

Wasn't the Skoda Fabia discontinued in may? I know they sell till the kits exhaust but August is a long way since may. The Fabia was a decent vehicle, however it demanded a better price and newer engine options. Since Skoda was losing more than Rs.100000 on each car, it had to be discontinued. Skoda, please price your vehicles better and improve your ASS. It is horrible and a pain. Skoda Yeti is a brilliant vehicle but isn't selling even in the triple digits. Skoda, please don't overprice such an excellent vehicle, we know you are not a premium manufacturer and such ridiculous pricing strategies are killing your potentials. Hoping that the New Octavia isn't as pricey.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th September 2013 at 18:34. Reason: Deleting quoted post. Do not quote an entire large post as it inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
Old 6th September 2013, 21:19   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some of the replies are in bold, rest are below.

But I am not getting emotional over anything! As member a4anurag rightly pointed out, most of the people do not think from that angle while buying a car (and understandably so). However, I will certainly not understand when forum members here who are informed say that there is nothing for this vehicle to sell. That will definitely not make any sense.
Sorry if you have felt bad but that was just my opinion and no t pointing out at you or the Quanto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitk1993 View Post
And yes, we have gone way off-topic. I think we should rest the case and simply give respect to each other's views on the subject.
Bro, This discussion is going way of topic.

Let's do the Ritz, Quanto stuff out of here. We will never reach a conclusion and keep arguing about VFM etc.

Like a car, buy and be happy. No point in talking it after the purchase.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th September 2013 at 21:25.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 22:33   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I wonder why the Tata Venture has had such dismal sales. It's nearest competitor is the petrol only Eeco and it sells 3000 cars, while the diesel Venture is stuck on about 500 units.
Who want to buy a Tata Venture? Hope as part of the HorizonNext they will do a mave over. The front view is excellent, but what about the rear? Is it meant to be a taxi? Then they need a more powerful engine, They can not do an airport run with the luggage and full capacity seating. For Venture to be successful, they need to plonk the Safari engine on it. Let us see what changes are there in the upcoming refresh.
Old 7th September 2013, 17:53   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I honestly don't see why the quanto is not selling well. It ticks most of the boxes for the Indian buying public. I for one will recommend everyone to take a test-drive for this car before deciding.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Sorry to have brought it up again. This will be my last post on this particular topic.

I understand where you're coming from and I do agree with you on most, if not all your points. You have been fairly objective in your assessment of the car so kudos!

But my point is a bit different.

You see, the whole point of a compact SUV is so that it gives you that added versatility and ground clearance of a SUV, WITHOUT the negatives of owning, driving and living with a SUV i.e. the bumpy ride, the lack of stability, the larger footprint ergo higher emissions, etc. It should ideally give you a car-like drive. That is what these compact SUVs are all about IMO.

The Quanto delivers on paper. For 10 lakhs, it's worth the money. Spacious cabin, 2 jump seats, frugal engine and decent performance. But the fact that it feels no different from a Xylo is the reason for its failure. The Quanto doesn't quite deliver on that car-like-drive feeling. But the EcoSport and Duster do! That's exactly why Mahindra have already begun their R&D on a true compact cross-over SUV

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2013 at 17:56. Reason: added note to the beginning of the post
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 22:33   #100
BHPian

Yet another excellent monthly sales report from GTO and Parry S. Looks like only newly launched cars are attracting buyers. Those who are unable to launch new products will continue to see the sales are sliding further.
Old 8th September 2013, 20:11   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Simple_car
Bhai looks like you are not one of those who ask the question ki bhai Quanto "Kitna deti hai?"...

If i go by Mileage factor alone i will chose Eco Over Quanto.

Last edited by anu21v : 8th September 2013 at 20:14.
Old 10th September 2013, 21:56   #102
BHPian

I just happened to read a superb thread started by a proud owner of a Mahinda e2o. I was curious to know the sales of the e2o and I reached this thread. However, Mahindra does not seem to have released sales numbers for the e2o.
Does anyone have any idea about the e2o sales since its launch? The reason I'm asking is, if the sales are indeed dismal, Mahindra could well consider pulling the plug on the e2o.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 13:57   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just happened to read a superb thread started by a proud owner of a Mahinda e2o. I was curious to know the sales of the e2o and I reached this thread. However, Mahindra does not seem to have released sales numbers for the e2o.
Does anyone have any idea about the e2o sales since its launch? The reason I'm asking is, if the sales are indeed dismal, Mahindra could well consider pulling the plug on the e2o.
The E2O is a major underperformer and Mahindra will have to bet on exports and a big cash subsidy through the NEMMP 2020.

During the launch of the electric car, Mahindra aimed to sell about 500 monthly units of the E2O domestically. Yearly installed capacity is 30,000 units. Clearly, the bias is towards exports.

This is perhaps why we're not seeing price drops/discounting on the E2O to shore up domestic volumes despite the car selling in lower than expected numbers. I think Mahindra is selling about 150 E2Os/month.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 20:32   #104

Nice to see the Scorpio marching back into the race.. do we see a glimmer of hope for the Nano??.. Maruti remains untouchable.. but i hope with the i10 grand will improve Hyundai's nos.. a few more thought full products especially in the utility segment and the korean giant will be head to head with the "untouchable"..
Old 26th September 2013, 08:44   #105
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Mods - could not find any relevant thread hecne posting here. Pls move to appropriate thread if exists.

Tata Motors are closing the Jamshedpur plant for 5 days due to low sales demand starting from September 26. The slump in the demand for the heavy commercial vehicles was the reason for this 5 day block closure. More details here.

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/189308...-block-closure
Closed Thread