Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th September 2013, 16:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
The changes are too superficial to interest any new buyer. If they change the interiors, especially to a much better dashboard in terms of design and finish, then it may draw a little more attention. Hope they have improved the gearshift to shorter throws. But one thing I can vouch for is the excellent engine,space and seating comfort. I also hope they don't remove many features like puddle lamp, theater dimming, follow me home lights, power to the windows even after switching the engine off, driver side auto window roll down, etc in the name of cost cutting.
Comfort??? Really i think this is the worst tata car in terms of comfort. I have driven this muv for long drive and the boat like suspensions makes u mad. Also the vibration levels are also bad. I can say this vehicle offers good space only. Overall this is the worst product in terms of comfort,quality.
tushky is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 16:07   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP scoops the Tata Sumo Grande Refresh

Is the entire design and R&D team at Tata Motors on some sort of a sabbatical or are they smoking something else these days?

The car looks plain simple hideous. What i do not understand is why cannot the designers and the R&D team look around and see what other manufacturers are offering. Forget others and look up your own backyard god dammit you are the owners of Jaguar Land Rover. Even Mahindra has learned to roll with the times although they still have a long way to go but hey at least XUV was a start.

IMO the first Sumo was a good product for the time it came out in and after that they kept ruining it each time they came up with a refresh. Similar story with the Safari and Indica. You have the money and resources then why not utilize them to bring out a new product rather than continuously refreshing and renovating existing products which did well when they came out. Every product has a life and once it goes outdated no matter how different and better you try and package it, IT WONT SELL.

VVB
vvb8530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 16:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

The vinyl sticker company supplying to Mahindra for Xylo and Tata for this sumo must be making a lot of money. Just a lot of black vinyl stickers and red vinyl extending the tail lamps and you have an all new Tata Sumo Grande.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 16:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The vinyl sticker company supplying to Mahindra for Xylo and Tata for this sumo must be making a lot of money. Just a lot of black vinyl stickers and red vinyl extending the tail lamps and you have an all new Tata Sumo Grande.
Are you sure that is a red vinyl sticker around the tail lamps and not the tail lamp plastic assembly itself?
vvb8530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 16:26   #20

The only changes which have been made are ugly changes. The tail lamps look very Mercedes ML class inspired, only in the most hideous way. I never though anyone could accomplish that.

Sometimes I wonder, when JLR got benefited heavily and got saved from possible bankruptcy by the Tata deal, what did Tata Motors India get out of the deal?!
highonwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 17:03   #21
BHPian

Nothing interesting in the design. However reducing the prices can work for the package that sumo brings to the table.

As far as the design refresh is concerned , i find it dissappointing and not a serious effort.

And yes , for god sake Tata bring an MUV and a SUV based on xenon platform looking similar to Xenon .

It will look so damn nice
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 17:04   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Is it just me or does that car look really ugly. The original Sumo was a really pleasant thing to look at. It looked so much like the G Wagen and that made it all the more beautiful in its own little industrious way.

Since then TATA has clearly lost the plot, I even saw Carlos Slyym's interview on ET NOW, he did not sound confident about any of their new plans. This is yet again another wasted effort.
True. The first Sumo was pretty handsome. Styling wise, it's just gone downwards from then. the Gold looks overdone at places. The Grande was OK to start with. This one is simply hideous. The black beading along the windows, the overdone rear and the bull-bar at the front are all wrong.
Tata Motors is in trouble and needs radical changes in their line up of cars if it wants to regain lost ground.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 17:14   #23
BHPian

Is it only me who is seeing the flared wheel arches on the front wheel looking bigger and more pronounced than the rear ones?
DWind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 17:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
This vehicle will definitely make the old Grande look good!!
When you try hold anything with more pressure in your fist the thing tends to spill out. That is certainly the case with this refresh model which looks more ugly now with over dose of black vinyl stickers on D pillar, the mismatching front guard and those plastic red lights.

"The big wont beat the small but fast will beat the slow" - Tata needs to pull up their sock, now that competition has got better vehicles in their stable. There cannot be any margin for error left to be exposed.

Being a owner of first generation of Grande which was chauffer driven in my native place for my grandfather who passed away 6 months ago, since then vehicle is with me and based on the experience in past few months I would like them to improvise on following.

1. Overall Top notch fit and finish
2. Iron out maximum niggling Issues
3. ABS as a standard feature right from base model, which i think has no competition.
4. Airbags at-least on top variant
5. Complete make over of dashboard.
6. Better quality plastic to be used in interiors (falling plastic chips, parts are irritating & humiliating in front of others)
7. Better ride quality.
8. Improved Handling (given the size of vehicle that certainly remains a dream)
9. Check what competition offers. Try to compete with them or offer something more.

Note:- I have not Driven Grande MK II in which they may have ironed out some of the issues.

If they cannot improve on aforesaid in current vehicle, then get back to drawing board get the basics right and completely redesign the vehicle. Although a concept from Xenon something like this should be taken into account while designing.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...australia.html (The Tata Xenon Tuff Truck Concept (for Australia))

Just edited the picture using Ms paint which has been taken from aforesaid link.
Attached Images

Last edited by driving_smartly : 4th September 2013 at 17:48.
driving_smartly is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 19:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think its just camouflaging left on. Even if those were add on reflectors, above the tail lamp, like in a scorpio, the finish looks un-even to suggest so, looks like body paint. Probably this is a red car with white body cover, the real changes lie underneath.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 19:20   #26
BHPian

I always loved the looks of the original Tata Sumo. Even now I think the top variant Sumo Gold makes a good proposition as a value-for-money entry level MUV with old school SUV looks (If only the wife though so too, I could've signed a cheque long back ).

The Sumo Grande was not a bad looking car, especially if you gave it cool butch alloys, tires, bull-bars etc.

But the latest iteration we see here... What is it??? Looks like they took it to a salon and emptied an year's global supply of mascara on it. Less said about the nail extensions-like tail lamp plastics the better. [Ladies, please do not take any offense. I don't have anything against you folks using the aforementioned effects.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Is it just me or does that car look really ugly.
Just you and everyone else outside of Tata Motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
This vehicle will definitely make the old Grande look good!!
Maybe that is the master plan here. Are they planning to sell the Grande Mark-II alongside this one? Then I am sure the sales figures will change in the former's favour. All Mark-II fans please get your hands on it before this hideous avatar hits the roads.

I am a proud Tata loyalist, but this one hurts my eyes.
Miel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 20:53   #27
BHPian

Come on TML, you can do better than this. Hope this is not final

On a different note, has TML given up on family ownership of this car, and only catering to the cabbies? Then its a diff discussion with only utility/cost-of-ownership in mind. That wouldnt be so wrong I would think..
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 21:12   #28
BHPian

Is it just me? They made a Chinese model out of a nice looking MUV.
RIC.BURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 21:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
Is it just me? They made a Chinese model out of a nice looking MUV.
Its not just you, the car looks down-right ugly. Who designed this thing???
ahmad.007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 21:35   #30
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Face lift? Not to me too insignificant. It needs exterior cladding and better door pads on the inside and more radical pricing. It needs to go for the bolero market with the base model and the Scorpio with the top spec one. The top spec model needs alloys. The black tape all over does not look good to me at least.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote