Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th September 2013, 09:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP scoops the Tata Sumo Grande Refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
Let me respond to some of the criticisms that have been levelled against my post. First of all if there is somebody who thinks I am a Tata sympathiser, I am not. I am a teacher by profession and I have owned and continue to own Tata vehicles and sometimes there have enough reason for grief, but by and large my experience is not something that tells me that the company is absolutely no good. I agree with you fully that it is not for the customer to read the company and that the company needs to read the customer's mind. If they can't then too bad for the company since the customer is spoiled for choice these days.

And to those of you who feel that I have been too critical about the nature of posts, please read the first quotation on top of this. And reiterate by saying that it is not my intention for proving one upmanship or to show that I am better, it is only to say that perhaps if we post in such a manner a healthy discussion can ensue it would be much more useful for everybody to join the discussion. Supercilious remarks as posts will make it impossible to have any meaningful discussion and will at best make people ignore the posts or at worst start a war of words, both of which I think are undesirable. My sincere apologies to anyone who thought I was being disruptive, that certainly was not my intention. Thank you.
Good morning buddy, the part of the your post that i quoted here seems deligent to an extent since you are a patronizer of Tata. As mentioned in your posts its the car company's duty to be able to suffice the needs of prospective/existing customers which is true. Secondly, the forum apart from members and moderators includes guests from entire world so its imperative to provide to-the point guidance and ideas to everyone without amalgamating it with a personal agenda. In no ways the forum demanded an apology but just be careful buddy to stick to the topic. Tata has been very successful in the past but the times have changed, in today's time until the refreshed or face lifted vehicle is exciting and appealing it wont garner customers. The Sumo has the age old design being discussed at length here. Coming to the engine, it has good power and TATA may for the sake of power may be able to sell 50-100 units but that's about it. Its high time to change the vehicle's design.

Thanks
AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 10:55   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianjoseph View Post
Is this a photoshop job or is it a grande with actual cladings ? Those safari alloys look super.
I don't think it's a photoshop job. Just search Tata Sumo on Google images and this pic shows up on the first page.

Just speculating, but this is probably a design prototype and Tata decided to chuck the cladding to save a few bucks.

EDIT: Found another pic of Grande with cladding. It is from Auto Expo 2010. (first pic)

Also check out this Grande belonging to TBhp member sierrakamat. Similar mods as seen in this thread. (second pic)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2617415 (Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX)
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP scoops the Tata Sumo Grande Refresh-tatagrandemkii2.jpg  

Team-BHP scoops the Tata Sumo Grande Refresh-sumogrande.jpg  

Last edited by CarCynic : 10th September 2013 at 11:17. Reason: Found another pic with same cladding
CarCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 15:00   #63
Senior - BHPian

Motoriods have uploaded fresh set spy pics of the Sumo Grande Refersh. Here is the link to their article:

http://www.motoroids.com/news/tata-s...y-pics-emerge/

The front guard doesn't look that bad IMO.

PS - Motoriods have picked the report from Motorbash, so its not their exclusive report.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 12th September 2013 at 15:10.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 16:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Motoriods have uploaded fresh set spy pics of the Sumo Grande Refersh. Here is the link to their article:

http://www.motoroids.com/news/tata-s...y-pics-emerge/

The front guard doesn't look that bad IMO.

PS - Motoriods have picked the report from Motorbash, so its not their exclusive report.
It's looking much better in these pics! The black tape now covers only the height of the window glasses, not the metal below them.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 23:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCynic View Post
I don't think it's a photoshop job. Just search Tata Sumo on Google images and this pic shows up on the first page.

Just speculating, but this is probably a design prototype and Tata decided to chuck the cladding to save a few bucks.
The side cladding was an official optional accessory at a point of time(I saw it in the brochure, while buying the Grande).

Don't know if it's still available.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 21:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Dear Team, I am posting a comparison rating between 3 major auto-brands which also includes TATA from a Automotive magazine's September 2013 edition. This rating has been done on following criterias in these 3 brands;

* Design * Character * Handeling * Wellness and * Image.

By seeing this rating it becomes even more pronounced as to why TATA needs to work hard on these parameters now to revive its place in the automotive market.

thanks

AD
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP scoops the Tata Sumo Grande Refresh-rating.jpg  

ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 01:13   #67
Senior - BHPian

Why are looks SO very important? IMO Engineering is ALOT more important to get right, much more than the design. So if they've sorted out all those niggles, then that's it, they're fine (and I'm sure the guys at TaMo are smart enough not to be experimenting on the Design with Bull-bars). Moreover 'Looks' are subjective!

As long as the design is :
a) Aerodynamic, but yet not looking weirdly odd,
b) Crash-safe (to a decent extent)
c) Abit Pedestrian Safe (coz those crazy jaywalkers think motorists are deliberately trying to kill them!)
Then I guess that's enough.

Just a Q : How'd it be if colleges started giving admission to students based mainly on their 'Looks' rather than merit? Or if companies started passing Tenders looking Just at the presenter?

Great scoop Team-BHP, looking forward to more such stuff!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 16th September 2013 at 01:20.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 16:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Why are looks SO very important? IMO Engineering is ALOT more important to get right, much more than the design. Moreover 'Looks' are subjective!

c) Abit Pedestrian Safe (coz those crazy jaywalkers think motorists are deliberately trying to kill them!)

Just a Q : How'd it be if colleges started giving admission to students based mainly on their 'Looks' rather than merit? Or if companies started passing Tenders looking Just at the presenter?
My friend, as you asked an Off-topic question, i would say looks definitely are subjective no doubts but your comparison of a car to a human/presenter seems out of line because human looks are god gifted whereas mechanical object looks are man-made. Continuing your off topic thought, What if, in a renowned 5 star hotel (as per brand image) you were served a dish cooked in best possible style but did not appeal to you on the face it; will you still try or justify it majorily because of hotel's brand image? Coming to the topic, Engineering is a significant part of the vehicle but equally important is the look of the vehicle. Concluding it here, i would like to say if engineering was termed as the sole criteria then many other respectable brand's vehicle would not have come in firing range just because of their subdude appearence and still having far superior mechanism and technology.

thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:54   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Why are looks SO very important? IMO Engineering is ALOT more important to get right, much more than the design. So if they've sorted out all those niggles, then that's it, they're fine (and I'm sure the guys at TaMo are smart enough not to be experimenting on the Design with Bull-bars). Moreover 'Looks' are subjective!

Great scoop Team-BHP, looking forward to more such stuff!
To specifically answer your question, as the car is not out yet, and we have only the photos, all we can discuss about is its looks. Once the car is out, you can count on us to debate the performance of the car at length.

To generally answer your question, yes, the engineering of a car is of importance, but looks are also if not more, equally important. We as petrol heads, have grown to lust over cars. It is very primal. The posters of the Countach and the Testarossa's on our bedroom walls as a child are only testament to the fact. It gives it a certain amount of desirability.

However, I do not think we/market solely decide on the looks as well. To give a few examples of very nice cars, with odd looks which have done very well, Skoda Yeti, the Superb, most cars from the Maruti stable. This is just to say that while we don't have the actual car to test and decide on the performance, all we can do bash it on the looks
highonwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 12:01   #70
BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted here, but came across the below images. The designers' website claims that this was commissioned by Tata Motors. While I'm not a fan of the front end, I do like what they've done with the rear.

http://www.bigdaddycustoms.in/Produc...aspx?prodId=37

The thing that disappoints me about the refresh shared in post one is that I think I can still see leaf springs at the rear - I was seriously hoping that this gets addressed, also if Karl Slym is serious about Horizonext, in order to build up to the new range of Tata products the existing line has to be at least competent if not brilliant, which gets me to thinking that so far the X2 platform is the best ladder frame platform that Tata Motors has, so shouldn't a UV targeted at families also move to it like the Storme? Or is Tata Motors afraid of cannibalizing Storme sales?

Frankly, if executed correctly, the Grande has what it takes to take on the Scorpio and Xylo head on - in my opinion. Variant for variant it should be competing against the Xylo, with higher variants also competing with the Scorpio as well.

But all of that is from the product perspective, marketing it - which will be a herculean task - is a different discussion altogether, it will require Tata to really innovate as I don't think well shot TV ads are going to cut it.
da_lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 13:36   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Frankly, if executed correctly, the Grande has what it takes to take on the Scorpio and Xylo head on - in my opinion. Variant for variant it should be competing against the Xylo, with higher variants also competing with the Scorpio as well.
Spot on. It seems like a logical to share the platform with Storme and Aria. I do believe this is their future plan of action. Its obvious that Horizon next is exactly what it means, something to help them reach that horizon beyond which they will introduce brand new products. My concern is that so far everything they have updated appears like something any local accessory store could have provided. Nothing appears like a factory set. Its all stickers and mouldings. To make things worse competition is belting out better updates. For TATA to ride out this storm they need one of their updated vehicles to pick up some steam in sales. I dont see any in the near horizon. Hope I am wrong.
chittybang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 17:02   #72
BHPian

Just came across the new article on motoroids
Tata Movus
Please see this article

Tata Sumo Grande facelift to be called Movus. Spotted - Motoroids.com - http://www.motoroids.com/news/tata-s...movus-spotted/

I feel the they have tried to make the Grande look more proportional.
The front end is looking more aesthetic.
The pricing is supposed to be mouth watering.
How i wish this has the strome/ aria platform and not the old GRANDE MKII platform.
If priced under 8-9L with that , it would be a good VFM offering

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th January 2014 at 10:34. Reason: Formatting post.
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 21:50   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Entry-level Tata Sumo Grande CR4 to take on Mahindra Bolero. Launch in coming weeks.

Tata Motors is testing the Sumo Grande MUV with a 3 liter CR4 turbo diesel engine. The engine that outputs 80 Bhp-250 Nm is tuned to deliver high fuel efficiency .

A high fuel efficiency is one of the biggest draws of the Bolero, an MUV whose strong sales in India’s semi-urban and hinterland regions result in monthly sales numbers close to 10,000 units for Mahindra.

Apart from outfitting the CR4 turbo diesel engine on the Sumo Grande, Tata Motors is also working on a comprehensive overhaul of the MUV.

http://www.cartoq.com/cartoq-scoop-e...hindra-bolero/
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 22:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Entry-level Tata Sumo Grande CR4 to take on Mahindra Bolero. Launch in coming weeks.

Tata Motors is testing the Sumo Grande MUV with a 3 liter CR4 turbo diesel engine. The engine that outputs 80 Bhp-250 Nm is tuned to deliver high fuel efficiency .

A high fuel efficiency is one of the biggest draws of the Bolero, an MUV whose strong sales in India's semi-urban and hinterland regions result in monthly sales numbers close to 10,000 units for Mahindra.

Apart from outfitting the CR4 turbo diesel engine on the Sumo Grande, Tata Motors is also working on a comprehensive overhaul of the MUV.

http://www.cartoq.com/cartoq-scoop-e...hindra-bolero/
So what happens to the old Sumo? It will be slotted below the Bolero ? What a fall for the Sumo brand which once Tata mentioned as the real competitor to the Scorpio when it was pitted against the Safari !
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 00:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hope TML will launch Movus on time to take advantage of the general elections.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote